Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. hyperlink

Interactive PDF not exporting hyperlinks correctly

Everytime I export an interactive PDF with hyperlinks, the links have %0D automatically at the end. The hard return code is not in the link in InDesign, I've tried to remove it several times within the working document and Acrobat with no luck. Seems to be a bug.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. gpu performance not working

This literally just started happening today. I have not installed ANY new anything.
    I'm running a new Macbook Pro (sept 2017), with 16g RAM, 2 TB SDD (with plenty of room on it) Graphics processor is Radeon Pro 560 4 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB, running High Sierra 10.13.1.
    Running latest version of InDesign CC 2018 build 13.0.1
    As of about an hour ago, I can no longer use the animated zoom or GPU performance. Everything on the screen disappears and you can see the rulers moving as I try to zoom in/out or try to scroll pages.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi ,

Are you facing this issue for all the document. If yes, can you please send us one of your sample document for analysis. This will help us in isolating the actual root cause.
    If issue is specific to some documents then please share these documents for analysis.

You can send us your packaged document with assets to “sharewithID@adobe.com” email address.

3. Export Tagging: ‘i’ character in class name exports as blank space

I just did the 2018 update, so I think it's the most recent version: 13.0 x64

I have a document template that contains many character and paragraph styles with export CSS tags that contain the lowercase ‘i’ in them. This character is being exported as a blank space, which completely breaks the CSS, like this:
    should be: <p class="bright"></p>
    getting: <p class="br ght"></p>

This problem was easily replicated in a fresh new document, so it’s something with InDesign, rather than my template file.

This workflow involves complex style mapping through to CSS classes. Because so many of the classes contain…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for sharing the CSS and document. Apparently, I was not able to reproduce the issue, Can you please try to creating new document with few paragraph styles and try exporting the document to HTML and see if the issue is resolved.

4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

5. Welcome screen freezes and does not disappear blocking workspace InDesign CC 2017

Work space is not visible and welcome screen doesn't disappear

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Indesign freezing when trying to change leading in style

Indesign CC 2017.1 release

12.1.0.56 64 build
    I am trying to change the leading for a particular style that is used in footnotes and when I attempt the change Indesign simply freezes. At the moment the leading is 9 pt but I want to increase to 11 pt. I don't have this problem with ordinary styles

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. pipette does not work in cells of tables

pipette does not work in cells of tables

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Page icons not displayed in vertical and horizontal configuration.

There seems to be a bug with the pages palette, the icons do not display correctly in vertical and horizontal configurations with some dissapearing off the side or below.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

9. Running Header Removes ZWNJ (Zero-width non-joiner) Character (U+200C)

I want to use Running Header to have the section name at the top of the pages.
    The section title has Zwnj character (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-width_non-joiner) but running header removes this character (U+200C).
    for more information see the attached image

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Reproducible Steps –
    • Try opening the document with other option (File→Open(Copy))
    • What were you doing when the issue was observed in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Please share sample document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

10. Indesign crashes when changing Endnotes to footnotes

I just updated to the 2021 that is really amazing. Only bug i have i can t any more convert endnotes to footnotes InDesign crashes each time on both of my computers . I am on Window 10 No idea why before i could do it. Thanks a lot

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Can't select gradients from swatches

Since installing the new InDesign 2021, I'm not able to apply my colour swatches to the gradient bar. When I click on a colour swatch, it changes the main fill rather than the gradient colour.

This was working before the update.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To apply a swatch to one of the gradient stops, you have to hold down the Alt key and then click on a Swatch in the Swatches panel. Clicking directly on any of the swatches changes the fill color of the object to the Swatch color instead of changing the color of the gradient stop.
    Please confirm the above in the previous release as well as InDesign 2021.

Adobe InDesign team

12. Share for Review error: "There was an error creating the artifact"

InDesign 16.0.
    I get this error when trying to use Share for Review, "There was an error creating the artifact".
    I've tried updating and restarting InDesign, still get this error.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please try the following and see if it solves the issue for you:
    Quit InDesign.
    Delete the following:

on Mac:
    /Users/yourname/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign
    /Users/yourname/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign
    /Users/yourname/Library/Caches/CSXS/cep_cache

on Win:
    C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign
    C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign
    C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp\cep_cache

-
    Ensure that you are properly signed into your Creative Cloud Account. If you are, Sign-out once and then Sign-in again.
    Then launch InDesign and initiate Share for Review.
    -

Adobe InDesign team

13. InDesign 2021 (InDesign 16.0) locked when left unattended for an hour.

This was installed for me overnight, and appeared to be running as expected. When I left my computer running for an hour while I ate lunch I came back to find the application locked. When I tried to force it to quit the entire machine locked, and I was required to force it to shut down and restart.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. indesign crash when I try to make a new document

Every time I try to make a new document Indesign crash.
    I work well will any old document, but the minute I it command + N or do it but going in file - new document it crash automaticly. Can anyone help me ???

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    Video recording of the crash?
    Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference.

ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference.

Not a new problem by the looks of it.
    It doesn't matter whether I type a reference, copy and paste it or highlight text and use shortcut keys. ID always crashes if a symbol is the first thing in the index reference.

however, if 'Sort by' is used and that doesn't start with a symbol it is okay. But this is only 'useful' when that is relevant, which is not always.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

• Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. share for review

I recently update my Indesign version to 15.12 but for some reason the share for review window will not show anything. It is completely empty and I can't update the link to share for review.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Text Wrap causes InDesign to Crash and yes it is up to date

No it isn't intermittent. It's every time.
    Yes my InDesign is up to date.
    Obviously that means the latest release has not fixed the problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. Crash when placing DOCX with character styles

Steps:
    1. Attempt to place place Word.docx in an InDesign 2020 document.
    2. InDesign spends a long time parsing character styles.
    3. Resaved Word file as .doc file and was able to import it. I don't know what information (if any) in the Word file was lost. This is not an ideal solution.

Link above "How to Submit Crash Report" is dead. I have previously submitted several crash reports through the InDD/system interface.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Crash when continuing to place text from Word

Hello.

When I try to continue to place text from any Word document Indesign crashes. It actually won't crash by "itself", it just stops working.

I have followed the steps you outlined here: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html#Howtosubmitcrashreports

to submit a crash report. However, since I have to Force quit it I cannot get the report crash dialogue.

MacOSX version: 10.14.6
    Indesign version: Any from 14.0.3 to 15.1.2

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Hyperlink causing InDesign to crash

I have an issue in a file that I'm working with where if I scroll to a certain point in the hyperlink panel, my entire InDesign program crashes. I've tried deleting all of the hyperlinks one-by-one, and I noticed that it always crashes when I reach the same point (about 2/3rds down the list).

I think there's a hyperlink that's become an issue within the file, and whenever InDesign tries to show that specific one within the hyperlink panel, it crashes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base