Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6588 results found

1. Since the update to Mac OS High Sierra, Indesign and Illustrator just aren't as they used to be. Failing constantly.

Since the udate to Mac OS High Sierra, Indesign and Illustrator keep crashing and bugging. Lots of different errors. Many times telling you can't save. When updating a link in Illustrator, Indesign crashes when updating the link etc...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. cannot place XLSX table

I'm unable to place an Excel file/table. When I choose Place...select any Excel file (.xls or .xlsx) and check "Import Options":
    - Options dialog appears, but no fields are selectable, except decimal places.
    - Click OK, and I get nothing. No error message, and no content.

If I place a file WITHOUT options, I get the content of the Excel NOT as a table, but as tab-delimited text. This is not acceptable, as the integrity of the table is lost when I "convert text to table." Where there are (supposed to be) empty cells, data from other cells appears where…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. fonts appearing as distressed almost

Some fonts appear as distressed. Almost like there's a pattern overlay on them. It changes as you move the text box around on the screen. Doesn't export into pdf like this, only in active document (see blue text, I've included what appears in indesign and how it looks normally)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Incorrect transparency redering on screen

When I open a document that has a drop shadow applied, the shadow papers misplaced and distorted. If I turn the drop shadow off and on again, it fixed the issue. Also if I open a document that has an Outer Glow applied, it appears too opaque and too large. It seems that if I apply an Outer Glow to to the Object effect , save and close the document and reopen, somehow an Outer Glow is also applied to the Text effect. Other similar issues as well.
    InDesign 13.0.1 (but was the same in 2017)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. InDesign 13.0.1 Crashes when saving older documents

InDesign crashes when saving older documents to the newest version. Any suggestions? Fix?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Selection Toll

My Selection Tool, does not display properly and makes this wield yellow/green did like image. This means, I can not select objects properly and this is affecting the speed I'm working at.

Please Help!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. The book palette must be locked. (move the documents palette)

a momentary unwanted user error.

We should be able to move documents by option or command key.

To make a small correction before printing. We move accidentally while working on files. We do not notice this. It's printing like this.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Printer configuration

Since the updates on Tuesday, January 23 2018, I am unable to print using my printer's fold and staple feature, which has never been a problem in the past. Also, I now have a notice that fonts are missing from my computer, and these are fonts I have used for several years.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. It is impossible to export iframes to ePub

To Adobe
    It is well known, that Apple blocks iFrames. But when you can insert youtube codes into an iframe in InDesign and see it work perfect in "Public Online", then why do the video disappear when I export InDesign files to the ePub format.

Claus Bangsholm

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. QR-Code Generator

Opening the window «create QR-Code» makes thr function «copy / paste» inactiv. This is uselessly.
    Please fix this bug.
    Thx

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. [Indesign CS6-CC 2018][BUG] Wrong objects in array after moving page item to layer using Javascript

When running a script to process page items stored in a custom array and after moving a page item to another layer, the array contents changes. Objects are removed and other objects which where not put in the array are suddenly located inside the array.

See also: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2438907

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Applying Master Page covers Document Pages

Version: InDesign CC
    Steps to Reproduce: Apply the Master page
    Expected Result: Master page would be in the background
    Actual Result: Master page is in the foreground

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

13. Endnotes fail to import from .doc if no master page is applied in InDesign 2018

If placing a word doc that contains endnotes in cc2018, the text will import but all endnotes will be missing is there is no master page applied within the InDesign file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Issue is now fixed InDesign’s latest update.
    Please update to Id 13.1 for the resolution of the problem.

Thanks,
    Abhinav

14. Import failed when placing .indd file, while user has file open. (on SMB share)

Import failed when placing .indd file, while user has file open. (on SMB share).
    User receives the message, "Import failed." when placing a .indd file inside of another InDesign file.

If this is a limit of InDesign it would be helpful if the error message was more detailed. If this error prompted the user to close the open file, it would be clear what is causing the issue. I believe that I have been able to place an open InDesign file in the past.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. image position changes on pdf export

I am creating a 'flipbook' of images in InDesign, when I fullscreen the flipbook in InDesign all the image positions are correct and do not move, however when I export to a PDF and preview the flipbook using acrobat, the images do not retain their exact positions and move 1px or 2px on some pages. I have repeatedly checked the image positions in InDesign and and they are all fixed in the same position. Is there any option in the PDF output settings that ensures that the images will be 'anchored' to the correct position?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. caps

Everytime I type a capital "I" all letters following are all CAPS. It only does it when I type that letter. Then after I select the text to change it to lower case the only way to get the cursor back in my control is to do a DESELECT ALL COMMAND. Otherwise the sentence stays selected and stuck. Another thing it does if not all caps is it changes to first letter in the entire sentence will be Capitalized like a title character style. My text is a set character style that I have set to be regular format, not…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. InDesign CC 2018 Application frame will not fill screen

Hi Folks

Having an issue since InDesign 2018 with sizing the app window.

When in Application Frame mode, the frame will not expand horizontally to fill the screen — it will only expand vertically.

It expands normally up to about 80% of the screen width, but then becomes unresponsive to any attempt to make it wider - so I'm working in a dinky little workspace.

The app seems to think my display is narrower than it really is.

Windows expand normally when application frame is turned off, and return to the problem width when app frame is turned back on.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. [Indesign CC 2018][BUG] Label info empty on library item when running javascript

When running a Javascript which checks a library item, the label property is always empty. Script labels can be applied on items on a page and dropped in a library. When adding the item to the page again, the label is still present. But when checking the label of an item using a script when the item is still in the library, the label property is empty.

Just test this using ....
    alert(app.libraries[0].assets[0].label);

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. [Indesign CC 2018][BUG] Offset tables not detected when running Javascript

When running a script which processes tables in textframes, offset tables are not detected. If you have a text frame which contains 5 tables, of which are only 3 visible, and 2 are offset. The script detects only 3. You can test this using ...

alert(app.activeDocument.allPageItems[0].tables.length);

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Story Editor not close during export

Impossible to close the story editor dialog when a backgroud task is active.
    Indesign returns an error like this: "Impossible to close indesign when a backgroud task is active"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base