Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. unable to change font, size, style in Script UI, alignment problem with Image on button

Unable to perform basic features such as changing of text Font, Styles, Sizes in CC's scriptUI.
    Alslo image in button way OFF alignment.

This result in uglier customized UIs than it's older versions.
    As the world population is getting older, the ability to have bigger font size and style is really needed.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Adobe Fonts automatically substituting versions of fonts that are document-stalled

When I open an InDesign file that has been packaged with all the fonts (non-Adobe Fonts) included in the Document fonts folder, if I happen to have the same version of the font activated in Adobe Fonts, InDesign automatically, and without warning, substitutes the Adobe Fonts version. This is a major problem. The heirarchy should be document-installed fonts FIRST, then InDesign can look in Adobe Fonts and suggest replacing it. This should not be done without warning in the background. It means that the person who was working in a package workflow without using any Adobe Fonts can send a…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. A splitted footnote with three lines violates keep options and makes a widow instead of an orphan

1. Version of Adobe InDesign
      This issue appears in every InDesign versions since footnotes are supported.
      Bug reports / feature requests (from CS3 up to CS6) have been ignored in the past.

2. Steps to reproduce the issues
      given:
      a) a footnote with three text lines
      b) splitting footnotes allowed in the footnote options
      c) keep options: at start/end of Paragraph 2/2 (2 lines at start, 2 lines at end)

Play with the textframes hight so that the footnote is forced to be splitted. It will only split 2/1, not 1/2.

1. Actual result
      The footnots splits with 2 lines in the textframe…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Multiple listings of same font in Find Font menu

There are multiple listings of the same font in the Find Font menu in CC2019. All information is the same, all applied characters are the same, but there is odd behavior.

--FileACC2019WithDocumentsfontsfolder.png shows double listing of Trade Gothic LT Pro Roman.

--FileACC2019WithoutDocumentfontsfolder.png (when I take away access to Document fonts folder, no other changes), one instance switches to "Regular" instead of "Roman"

--FileACC2017WithDocumentfontsfolder.png shows what happens with I open this file in CC2017 (no double listing)

--FileACC2017WithoutDocumentfontsfolder.png (Document fonts folder hidden) shows what happens with I open this file in CC2017 (no…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. No Multi-Processor support for InDesign?

InDesign were and still is very slow. Now I work on an iMac 2017 with i7 processor with 4.2 GHz and Radeon Pro 580 8GB graphics with InDesign 14.0.1. The i7 is a Quadcore CPU but if InDesign works, it still works on just 1 Core! So InDesign ist still slow and the Beachball appears very often. Photoshop instead uses all the performance of this great machine.

Isn't it possible, to use all CPU-cores and maybe additionally the GPU with InDesign, to increase the performance?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. UI Scaling not working

I am using a Thinkpad T570 with a 4k display running the Win10 and the latest version of InDesign.

The UI scaling does not work correctly, the UI is way too small (see screenshot). I checked all the settings, it still won't scale properly. All other CC apps (besides Illustrator) scale just fine.

Here is a screenshot of IDs UI compared to PS:

Please fix this issue, so that ID scales the same way as PS and the other apps do!

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. import pdf comments

1. ID 14 Mac

2. Copy text out of a comment to paste into layout

3. Would expect that the cursor could be used to select all or part of an imported PDF comment

4. In fact it is EXTREMELY difficult to get the palette to recognize that text is selected in the palette interface. The "Copy" popup does not appear a large proportion of the time, or you can't select the range of characters you need. Even though Acrobat is terrible at the same process, it is significantly faster to copy the needed range of characters from the comment in Acrobat and switch…
    12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Display not properly refreshed

In the latest versions the screen often isn't refreshed properly. Only after rescaling or changing to Preview mode the old data is hidden.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Endnotes in epub2 don't work when using split document by paragraph style

After exporting to a reflowable epub 2.0.1, endnotes don't work when you have selected to split the epub using paragraph styles based on export label.

Thanks in advance
    Gert

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Slow InDesign

This latest update for late August/September is really really really slow. It lags crazy. It's not efficient to work in. Even with small documents.
    It's the most unpleasant InDesign experience ever!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. skew in character style for numbered list - does not skew

1. Adobe InDesign 14.0.2 x64

2. Create a character style with skew i.e 10%. Create a paragraph style with a numbered list. Apply the character style to the numbered list.

3. skewed numbers

4. does not skew

5. -

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Hyperlinks copy/pasted between files *appear* to break after source document is removed.

Using CC2019 on a Mac running High Sierra

Steps to reproduce:
    1) Create a document with a few hyperlinks in it.
    2) Whilst this document is open, open a 2nd document, and copy/paste the links from one document to the other.
    3) Save both and close.
    4) Trash source document

Expected result: hyper links should work in Target document as expected.

Actual result: hyperlinks all appear broken in document. Whilst an exported PDF appears to still work, ID reports all those links as broken.

Other details:
    If you retrieve the source document from the trash, it the links in the…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Weight remains on text when exported to pdf even if changed to zero.

I am using InDesign CC 2019 14.01 x64.

Once a stroke weight has been added, if you then change the stroke weight back to zero, then when you export to pdf the pdf will have a stroke weight added to the text, even though the indesign document looks correct. It may not have the original amount of weight that was added, but it will definitely have what looks to be around a .2 weight added.

However, if you were to start a new document, then add stroke weight, then click edit - undo stroke weight, then it would export to…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Conditional text is not applied correctly after line break in IDMLs

If Unconditional text follows a line break where another Paragraph Style is applied with Conditional text, making an IDML out of the document will change the Unconditional text to Conditional.

Please see example screenshots.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Bad optical kerning for superscript "4"

When a superscript "4" follows a closing smart quotation mark, optical kerning is set to -60 or -70 depending on font. This is too close (basically a crash).

This is annoying for books with lots of endnotes, where superscript numbers usually follow quotation marks.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Applying a paragraph style causes text to appear duplicated on screen, but it's not really.

CC 2018, OS High Sierra, both most current, brand new install on a brand new iMac Pro.

If I apply a style using a key command, 90% of the time the text from the cursor down goes crazy, looks duplicated. But if I hit the key command again, or click off the paragraph, or scroll, it goes away and is normal. So it's not really duplicating anything as far as I can tell. I screen captured exactly what it looks like.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. ALT Text not appearing in group

InDesign 2020

Issue: I have a screenshot with alt text included (typed in the Object Export Options dialogue). I then have a simple red box (rectangle tool, no fill, 2pt stroke) highlighting a section of that screenshot. When I group those objects, and export a tagged PDF, I get an error in Acrobat stating that no alt text exists.

Expected result: Alt text should appear.

Actual result: No alt text is present, or the assigned alt text is not recognized and is flagged by Acrobat's accessibility checker.

This issue did not exist with ID 2019.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Grep expressions with ~F in a character class fail in endnotes

The inclusion of ~F in a character class invalidates grep expressions in endnotes.

InDesign version: 14.0.2.324 (with the GREP fix installed)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open the attached document. It contains a single page with text and an endnote.

2. In the GREP tab of the Find/What window, enter the following GREP expression:

\d[^.,;~F]+

And target the document. The expression matches from a digit up to the next period, comma, semicolon, or footnote marker.

Expected result: The expression should match some text in the main text and in the endnote.
    Actual Result: The expression does not match anything in the endnote.

To…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. "View PDF after exporting" previously opened acrobat, now my computer switches between opening Illustrator, Mircosoft Word, rarely Acrobat

I've set my computer to use Acrobat as default, yet perhaps you could add an Application of choice to use when view exported PDF.

Not sure if it's just a bug, but any fix would be welcome. Thank you!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base