Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. alt text

Also category: Accessibility

I'm having a problem with the PDF tags when applying alt text to a group of items- a feature introduced in the most recent version of Indesign. Even though our articles panel shows separate articles, ALL of the content that comes AFTER a group tagged with alt text will have their exported tags all appear nested within that group as well, ignoring the structure set up in the Article panel. For example:

Article 1

Group with alt tag

item in group

Item in group

more content

Article 2

Article 2 content

Will in the exported PDF appear…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Resize text box crashes InDesign

Resizing a text box crashes InDesign CC 2018.

I need a text box to be larger to (accommodate more text) and every method I've tried to enlarge it crashes InDesign.
    - Drag corner (any corner); crash.
    - Manually input larger width or height; crash.
    - Change text box properties to auto-size based on amount of text...add text; crash.

I NEED to add text to this file TODAY.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2020.0.1 with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Changing color space won't change swatches

BUG NOT IDEA
    convert cmyk document to rgb. Swatches won't change. Can change custom but black stays CMYK which is different than RGB 000.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Auto-size text boxes with rounded corners expands randomly.

Version 2018, 13.0

Set a text box to auto size height and width (with no line breaks)
    Make the corners rounded
    As you can see in the attached jpgs of before and after, sometimes the box expands in width and sometimes in height, but randomly, not wrapping around the text correctly.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. InDesign crashes while moving pages between 2 documents

when I use the "move pages" command the program stops responding and stops working. I'm from Brazil, and I'm using google translator.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

6. Font size of colored menu items becomes too low on high-res devices

I prefer customizing my menu and colorizing but the menu text does not align up quiet neatly in my InDesign CC 2018, same issues can also be seen at some context menu like the Layer panel

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. The "Find" function doesn't work properly. It writes backward or not at all

The "Find" function doesn't work properly. It writes backward or not at all

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. CRASH REPORT EVERY TIME I QUIT INDESIGN

Now I have Ctrl Changes installed (software that tracks changes) InDesign produces a Crash Report every single time I quit InDesign.

Attached is a copy of the Crash Report.

Please help fix this bug.

Thank you, Robert

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2020.0.1 with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

• Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Mouse Latency Issues

Indesign 13.0; macOS High Sierra 10.13; Macbook Pro 15" 2015

When using the trackpad the cursor lags even when the display mode is changed to fast. This lag is quite visible even in small size documents.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Text rendered bold when using transparencies

When using transparent boxes or png images, InDesign will randomly render some text bold. This occurs both on screen and when printing. The only way to avoid it is by not using transparencies, which is annoying. People have been complaining about this since 2011! Get your sh*t together adobe. Come on.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. presentation mode toggle stuck on black background

InDesign v. 13.0.1
    shift + w for presentation mode
    shift +w to escape presentation mode

expected result: user interface would return to Preferences provided in the application (white or gray respectively)

actual result: shortcut key to change the background of presentation mode does not work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Using Text Wrap causes InDesign to crash!

When I use the text wrap or copy/paste an object with text wrap applied, the program crashes.

I noticed this is only happening when I attempt to add them to a page that includes a table in it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Trying to copy any item or group of items crashes InDesign

Attempting to copy any item or group of items to the pasteboard in InDesign crashes the application.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. IndDesign CC2018

When copying an item, it keeps crashing. Just updated to the most recent version of 13.1, still crashes upon copying.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign Team

16. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

17. Find/change: Search popup—not all options show

Many times, I have gone to the Find/Change dialog box and not seen any options in the Search popup other than "All Documents or "Document."

"Story," "End of Story," etc. are missing.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. gpu performance not working

This literally just started happening today. I have not installed ANY new anything.
    I'm running a new Macbook Pro (sept 2017), with 16g RAM, 2 TB SDD (with plenty of room on it) Graphics processor is Radeon Pro 560 4 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB, running High Sierra 10.13.1.
    Running latest version of InDesign CC 2018 build 13.0.1
    As of about an hour ago, I can no longer use the animated zoom or GPU performance. Everything on the screen disappears and you can see the rulers moving as I try to zoom in/out or try to scroll pages.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi ,

Are you facing this issue for all the document. If yes, can you please send us one of your sample document for analysis. This will help us in isolating the actual root cause.
    If issue is specific to some documents then please share these documents for analysis.

You can send us your packaged document with assets to “sharewithID@adobe.com” email address.

19. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Variables not updating

1. InDesign CC 2018 (though I have experienced this same problem over several versions)

2. Random bug, so I can't really say what steps are required

3. Variables should update to the data referenced by the variable

4. The word "Variable" is substituted for the data

5. Screen shot attached.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?