Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

186 results found

1. Embedded Publish Online doc fails in Firefox

Embedded Publish Online pages do not behave properly (i.e., go to full screen mode) in the latest release of Firefox 62.0.3 on Mac.

Please go to these two websites and click on the embedded document. It will attempt to go to full screen, but the cover only is jammed in the upper left corner of the screen. You can't navigate or do anything to fix that I've found. This is a serious problem, as many people have embedded Publish Online pages in their websites.

http://www.andreanienhaus.de/
    http://www.atlasdergisi.com/dijital/yaban-karacadag.html

Could someone else check this with Firefox and let me know the result?

And…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Table header is missing after copy/paste

When I copy/paste a table, the header line is missing. My workaround is to change the height of the next line, then the header line appears. Then I change the height back to the actual height.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. InDesign crashes when mounting/updating another InDesign document with overset text

InDesign Version: Adobe InDesign CC 13.0.1
    Operating System: macOS High Sierra version 10.13.2
    Computer: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Steps to reproduce the issue:
    1. Create a new document in InDesign with at least 3 pages.
    2. Make a textbox on one of the pages (e.g. page 1) and fill it with some text.
    3. Resize the textbox so that some text overset and preflight shows 1 error - overflowing text.
    4. Save and close the document
    5. Create a new InDesign document
    6. Place the InDesign file with the overflowing textbox in the new InDesign document (NOTE: You…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know if the issue is resolved for you in InDesign 14.0.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

4. Indesign cuts off effects on PDF Export

InDesign cuts off effects on PDF Exports if they get too large. (Also to mention... menues look different fot Font or Object Effects... someone realigned one of them and forgot the others.)

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server: CC 2017.1 with Tablefix
    Steps to reproduce the issues: Create a new Document that's wide enough e.g. 5000mm (happend to us on a big Banner) – Write Text - Use Effect "Bevel" - Export to PDF and watch it fail.
    Expected result: A Text with the applied effect
    Actual result: The Effect gets cut off (we almost printed a job…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

5. Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation

CC 2018
    Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation

When trying to PLACE an EPS file get the above error. Reinstalled CC 2017 and using the exact same file works. Attached is the EPS file that we used.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

6. story editor

In my notes, the first character is always substituted with a missing font symbol. It looks fine in the main layout window, but this odd behavior occurs both in the Notes panel, as well as the same note when displayed in the story editor.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    We have fixed this issue with 13.1 March release of InDesign. Please update to the latest version and try out the fix.

-Aman

7. Tool fly outs appearing on wrong monitor

I am using a dual monitor setup, my left hand monitor is a standard widescreen monitor, my right hand monitor is a Wacom Cintiq.

When I have InDesign maximized on the Wacom and attempt to access a fly out menu on the toolbar it opens the fly out menu on the very right-hand edge of the standard monitor. Which makes it impossible for me to select from the fly out menu without having to put down the stylus, switch to a mouse, and repeat the action to bring up the fly out menu and then select the item I wanted.…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. import options are collapsed (CC2017)

when importing a file, the import options are collapsed, so you always have to check if the "import options" are marked. can reproduce. should be uncollapsed like the versions before.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Change to gap tool made it useless for measurement

PRior to the latest update I could use the gap tool to hover between items and see in a moment the distance between them. Now the text color is so pale I can barely see it when hovering. Probably not an intentional change.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have made improvements to the readability aspect in the Control panel fields when using the Gap Tool in InDesign CC 2018. You will see a marked change as compared to InDesign CC 2017.
    Closing this thread as we are no more hearing from users about this issue.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign team

10. Object States panel - Renaming is not working

InDesign isn't allowing me to rename the different states in "object layer states". I have looked this up and there are a couple of other people who have posted about the same thing. I am running InDesign 16.0.2 and its on a MacBook Pro running the OS BIg Sur.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. InDesign crashes every time after standby

InDesign crashes every time when my MacBook Pro is in standby.

OS X 10.15.6
    MacBook Pro 16

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Crash Adobe InDesign CC v15.02-v15.1

It freezes when openning the program (Starting up Service Registry...) Adobe InDesign CC v15.02-15.1 (Installed Language: English International)

(But Adobe Creative Cloud for Teams: Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge and Acrobat DC are fine.)

My Computer:

PC Dell Inspiron 5680
    Processor: Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz.
    HDD: 256GB SSD
    RAM: 16GB
    Display card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070
    Display resolution: 1920x1080 Refresh rate: 60Hz.
    Monitor: Dell S2718H/HX

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Can't open .idap files

We can package .icap files and send them to the proofreader, but when we get the .idap files back we can't open them. We get the error "The selected package file requires an InDesign document “^1” that cannot be found."

Others seem to be having the same issue here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2551100
    The plugin listed in that forum thread does not fix the problem either.

The problem started when our team updated to CC 2019... had no problems until the update. We're on Apple's Mojave OS and 2019 InDesign.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Crash on using Align Distribute option

Help!! I used to be able to get the page tool, highlight multiple pages across a spread in the pages palette, then set the space between pages in the toolbar and use the distribute button to get even spacing between pages. Since updating to InDesign 2019 (v14.0.1), the “use spacing” measurement field never completely shows in the info bar, and every time I hit the “distribute horizontal” button, InDesign IMMEDIATELY crashes. I am using MacOS 10.13.6. Please help, I use this feature A LOT.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

15. Copy in Indesign layout is menu clicked "All Caps". PDF comments does not work. Only when copy is set to normal

When my copy in Indesign layout is menu clicked "All Caps" from tool bar or Character menu. I make a change request in the PDF. Like "remove" a word. Then Import the PDF comments. Accept does not work. The only time it works is if the copy is set to regular copy or if you type the copy in "All Caps". No menu changes.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

16. CC 2019 Repeated Crashing when switching to the text tool from the move tool

Experiencing repeated crashes when selecting the Text tool. Does not happen every time, but has happened at least 5 times in the last 10 minutes. Windows 10, newest version of CC2019.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

17. PDF

When placing a PDF of stylized text into ID2019, some text flips upside down. But it works fine in ID2018.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

18. Static Endnotes

When importing Word files with Static Endnotes ticked from Word .doc files the endnote indicators within the text are no longer superior. There is no character style to be able to change these back. Without these indicators remaining superior makes the Static Endnotes a waste of time if you work in .doc instead of .docx. We always use .doc files as there are too many bugs using .docx - bits of text missing; loss of italics here and there etc. Using .doc files are always foolproof. We are typesetters manipulating text 12 hours a day and know all the pit…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. ID crashes when pasting text

ID becomes very unstable if you copy and paste text from one text box to
    another that contains a paragraph style with a nested line format.
    If it doesn‘t crash immediately, move around the cursor with the arrow keys and try to paste text again.
    Please find attached a document to reproduce this bug

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

20. excel import filter fails formatting

When importing an Excel spreadsheet, formatted cells are incorrectly imported.

E.g., place the following one-cell spreadsheet in CC 2018 (not tested in earlier, but I imagine it's true there), and you'll see either "10,000,000,000,000.0." in the cell (under macOS) or "1,000.0" (under Windows).

Needless to say, this is a critical bug for people using Excel with InDesign, since it causes serious mis-representations of imported numbers.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base