Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

254 results found

1. Save functions unavailable

I'm using a Mac and running Catalina, have ID 2020. Yesterday, an existing file of 33 pages stopped allowing me to save it. I had no idea it wasn't saving and lost hours worth of work by the time I realized what was happening. I tried starting a new document and pasting the text into it, but same problem. I started a new document again and it allowed me to save immediately, but the second I dropped in text (different text this time), I lost the ability to save the file. I can export to PDF or IDML, but cannot…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Can't export page range as pdf

I'm unable to export a page range from InDesign as a PDF as I have done for decades. I get two options when I choose "range," "All" and "Letter V."

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Did you try selecting (highlighting) “All Pages” and type whatever page range you want to export?
    If you have alternate layouts and you want to export a range of pages from a particular alternate layout, say Letter V, you can also type the page range after putting a colon, like this: Letter V: 2-3.
    This has been the case for many versions and has not changed.

Adobe InDesign team

3. find font

Find Font isn't working for certain fonts. See the attached gif. I'm trying to change a passage of text set it Calibri (which I don't have installed) but when I open Find Font, Calibri isn't listed there so I'm unable to swap it out

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Paragraph style overrides key quick not working

When I select a paragraph and want to keep the character styles, but override the paragraph levels styles while holding down Ctrl/Shift click, this quick key does not work. Nothing happens. It used to work for CC2017. Ctrl click works for overriding character styles though. This is a nuisance, especially when it worked before

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To remove paragraph-level overrides, but preserve character-level overrides and character styles, in the Paragraph Styles panel, hold down Shift+Ctrl and click on the Clear Overrides button at the bottom of the panel.
    To remove character-level overrides, but preserve paragraph formatting overrides, hold down Ctrl as you click on the Clear Overrides button at the bottom of the Paragraph Styles panel.

Please also see this article: https://indesignsecrets.com/5-ways-of-removing-overrides-applied-to-paragraphs.php

Adobe InDesign team

5. Pasteboard not centered in layout view

I'm not sure if this is the right bug category, but when trying to view spreads, no matter what view option I pick, the pasteboard is aligned right only, with lots of extra room on the left. If I scroll all the way left, the left edge of the pasteboard is about in the middle of the view area and if I scroll all the way right, nothing past the right edge of the pasteboard is visible. It should be the other way around if not centered, because at least then, all my tool panels wouldn't cover up what I…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Can't move multiple objects after 14.0.1 of Indesign. And it's sloooowww!

Trying to move multiple objects, mostly boxes of type. One or several items does not move although selected. Upon undo and trying to move again, other objects doesn't move. And it has gotten so slow but that might be after Mojave 10.14.3 and not Adobe :)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Footnotes flows on the following page even if there is still space on the page where is the reference number

Indesign CC 14.0.1
    MAC OS High Sierra 10.13.6

unfortunately it happens very often that the text of the footnotes flows on the following page even if there is still space (several lines) on the page where is the footnote’s reference number.
    for this bug, the result of many jobs is very bad

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. InDesign 2019 scrubby zoom no longer works (command + space + click)

Prior to InDesign 2019, you can press command + spacebar + click to be able to activate the scrubby zoom feature.

Now when you press command + spacebar + click you just draw a box that once you unclick, it zooms to that space... Very undesirable..

Did a preference change on the update somewhere that I don't know about? Because I can not find this feature in the Preferences now.

Please advise.

Thanks.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The feature you are talking about is called ‘Animated Zoom’ (it’s Mac only feature).
    It is turned ON by default on Mac machines having a GPU card with a compatible monitor attached.
    Check the Document Name in its tab – does it say ‘GPU Preview’? If not, press Shift+E to switch to this mode.
    Also, check under Preferences > GPU Performance and see if ‘Animated Zoom’ is checked ON. It should be enabled for this feature to work.

Adobe InDesign team

9. two font sizes listed in character panel

I am applying a paragraph style and for some reason the font size was not changing to the size specified. There is no character style applied to the text to override the paragraph style. I did notice that my character panel showed two font sizes, with the second size, the one I want, in parenthesis. Not sure what is going on here.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The font size in parentheses is the new font size when the document has been resized using Liquid Layout’s Scale rule. The font size outside the parentheses is the original font size – that is, it looks like this:
    Original Font Size(New Font Size) – eg., 12 pt(8.1).
    Have you selected an Alternate Layout page where this rule was applied?

Adobe InDesign team

10. Document size change/Master page elements appearing on pages where no master page is applied

When changing the page size in Document Setup and ensuring that adjust layout is not selected, master page elements are showing up on pages where master pages are not applied.

Version: INDD CC 2019

Steps to Reproduce: (this does not happen in all cases) In this instance, I changed the document page size in document set up and ensured "Adjust layout" was not selected.

Expected Result: The document page size would change throughout, keeping the same layout as/properties as before.

Actual Result: Master page elements were applied to pages that did not have the master page applied (i.e. header on…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

11. When flowing text in multiple textboxes, Object Styles settings are ignored

1. Indesign 13.0.1 OSX
    2. Create an object style and set it as the default for new Text Frames. Create a new Text Frame. Click on the linking box at the corner and hold down alt to link the Text Frame to a number of new TF's. Draw a number of new linked TF's with the alt key pressed.
    3. All Text Frames should have the Object Style set as default
    4. The new TF's have an OS of [None]
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    This has been the behaviour since the beginning. See the link https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/object-styles.html where it states “This category is applicable only if the object is an unthreaded text frame.”

Please let us know any use-cases where this can be beneficial so that we can process this as a “Feature modification request”

You can ctrl(cmd)+a in a text frame and then apply the paragraph style as a workaround.
    -Aman

12. Custom PDF presets erased after update to CC 2018

I have several saved PDF presets for different clients. All of them had been deleted after upgrading from CC 2017 to 2018. I first thought they were simply not migrated over, but after opening InDesign CC 2017 I noticed they were gone there also! Only the default presets (High-Quality Print, etc.) were showing up in the drop-down menu. I had to go into my TimeMachine update to restore the files.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Annika

Could you please go to the following location on your system, and check whether your presets are present on your machine or not:
    /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings

Also, is there any other Adobe application that is installed on your system, like Illustrator? If yes, could you please check if your presets are shown in those applications or not.

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

13. InDesign: 2018, newest update erases all user-saved Workspaces

Newest update erases all user-saved Workspaces. Newest update to Photoshop 2018 doesn't...argh.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Can you let us know what happens when you choose Edit→migrate previous local settings?

-Aman

14. Incompatible with Windows 10, won't even open

My Windows 10 laptop simply will not open InDesign.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. search

I use CC 2017, but of course have seen this issue in other versions, Mac, and PC. When typing in a search term, like search term, the letters I type in show up backward, if at all, so mret chraes... which of course makes searching impossible. I can close the program, close the dialog box, and it still keeps coming up. It's so frustrating when you have 1000s of pages and need to find multiple words in between to keep opening/closing/shutting down

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Need More Info  ·  9 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 2022 InDesign bugs

when using ID 2021 and before, When I sized a graphic, say, from 100 to 50%, the info box would say the graphic is now 50%. In ID 2022, when I reduce a graphic, the box says it is 100%. I am not liking this.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when the issue occurred?
    • Video recording of the issue
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. User Interface got large

The User interface got large and many commands in the control bar have been hidden even if I set it on Small in the preferences!
    I can't get the small interface that was in the previous version.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Effects / blending mode

InDesign 16.4 x Windows 64: Cannot scroll the list of blending modes with arrow key(s) and preview the results in a selected box. I've always been able to do this in the past (InDesign CS 2, 4, 6). New laptop, new Adobe subscription. I can 'scroll,' but no preview. Window closes each time, so at least 30 clicks to re-open and select through the list.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi everyone,

The behavior mentioned here has been there since InDesign CC (that came out more than 8 years ago in 2013).
    Behavior in InDesign CS6 (and earlier) was different.

Please confirm if you were seeing different behavior in any of the CC versions. Illustrator also behaves the same way.

Adobe InDesign team

20. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign the issue occurred?
    • Video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base