Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

256 results found

1. the file does not exist

Adobe InDesign CC 2019, pagina inizio, impossibile aprire i file presenti nella cronologia: "il file non esiste, è usato da un'altra applicazione oppure non disponete delle autorizzazione necessarie".

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

It looks like you may be trying to open files that are shown on the Start screen but are unable to do so.

Please check that the file(s) actually exist at the same location as when they were previously opened/created. If they have been deleted/moved/renamed, etc., the Start screen will continue to show their thumbnails but you won’t be able to open them.

Let us know if this is not the case.

Adobe InDesign team

2. InDesign 2019 scrubby zoom no longer works (command + space + click)

Prior to InDesign 2019, you can press command + spacebar + click to be able to activate the scrubby zoom feature.

Now when you press command + spacebar + click you just draw a box that once you unclick, it zooms to that space... Very undesirable..

Did a preference change on the update somewhere that I don't know about? Because I can not find this feature in the Preferences now.

Please advise.

Thanks.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The feature you are talking about is called ‘Animated Zoom’ (it’s Mac only feature).
    It is turned ON by default on Mac machines having a GPU card with a compatible monitor attached.
    Check the Document Name in its tab – does it say ‘GPU Preview’? If not, press Shift+E to switch to this mode.
    Also, check under Preferences > GPU Performance and see if ‘Animated Zoom’ is checked ON. It should be enabled for this feature to work.

Adobe InDesign team

3. conflict of making your document smaller than your margins

InDesign CC 2019 v. 14

The New ”New document” dialog box doesn't give any warning of the conflict of making your document smaller than your margins allow. It just changes the width and/or height back to what it was as a default if your margins are too large and does not warn the user about it.

And if the user fails to notice that the size switches back, it will create a document that’s not the size intended. User may not even realize what is it that went wrong.

In the Legacy New Document dialog box, when you click OK,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. When exporting a PDF to Adobe Indesign CC 14.0 (German), you can not enter individual pages in the area. The name "Custom" remains in the fi

Version: Adobe Indesign CC 14.0 (German)
    Export -> Benutzerdefinierte Seiten
    you can not enter individual pages in the area. The name "Benutzerdefinierte Seiten" remains in the field.

Result: a complete pdf with all pages

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The export specific pages of a document to PDF, you have to enter them after selecting the ‘Range’ option.

As for the name shown in the field when you select the ‘Create Separate PDF Files’ option, it is just for display, letting you know how the individual pdf files get named upon export.

Adobe InDesign team

5. Color Reading Completely Incorrectly

Adobe. This is an insane problem to have not fixed.

Colors are seriously displaying incorrectly. From one program to another the colors look different and they do not at all match the way the color read in 2018.

The attached shows the same color in Indesign 2019 (left) and Illustrator 2019 (right)

This is a serious issue that people have been having since the 2019 update and I cannot believe there is not an update to fix this yet.

Every time Adobe releases an update lately I hesitate to download. The ideas behind the updates are intended to increase functionality…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Critical : can't sync fonts from Adobe

Critical : can't sync fonts from Adobe :

Hello, just like this guy below :

Help! Unable to activate fonts InDesign 2019

I can't sync fonts on indesign from Adobe Fonts. Nothing works. Tried everything.

Tried syncing them from the Adobe Font website, tried in Indesign, uninstalled all indesign versions, restarted preferences, uninstalled adobe cloud.

tried everything,

Deactivating fonts on adobe font website, reactivating them. Doing the same in the cloud app. No fix.

FONTS HAVING ISSUES : Source Sans pro, Open Sans, League Gothic, Fire Sans , Fire Sans 2.

The error message is : "unable to sync one…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve seen this issue happen when you have the same Font already installed on your machine.

So you may try going to where your Fonts are installed on Windows machine – (Control panel > Fonts) and uninstall/remove the Fonts that you are unable to Sync from Adobe Fonts.

Hopefully, the problem should get resolved.

Adobe InDesign team

7. two font sizes listed in character panel

I am applying a paragraph style and for some reason the font size was not changing to the size specified. There is no character style applied to the text to override the paragraph style. I did notice that my character panel showed two font sizes, with the second size, the one I want, in parenthesis. Not sure what is going on here.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The font size in parentheses is the new font size when the document has been resized using Liquid Layout’s Scale rule. The font size outside the parentheses is the original font size – that is, it looks like this:
    Original Font Size(New Font Size) – eg., 12 pt(8.1).
    Have you selected an Alternate Layout page where this rule was applied?

Adobe InDesign team

8. Text cursor disappears - Mojave and InDesign CC 13.1

After upgrading to Mac OSX Mojave (10.14), using InDesign CC 13.1 ME, the text cursor disappears. All other cursors appear as expected. This happens both with the standard Text tool, and the ME Text tool.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. page number in page manu not shown

Hallo. Leider werden die letzten Seitenzahlen im Seitenmenü abgeschnitten.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

10. Unable to export to pdf

Hi there, I am unable to package some of the InDesign files I am working on at the moment. It shows the error messages attached. Initially, it showed a conversion error however now this no longer shows and it just refuses to allow me to export to pdf and therefore package the document. I have no idea how to fix the issue as it doesn't give any indication at to why it isn't working which is super frustrating.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Indesign CC 2019 Bugs(Preserve Styles and Formatting from Text and Tables)

I usually use the inDesign to import the created word file.
    However, if I check the Preserve Styles and Formatting from Text and Tables in indesign cc 2019 and import the file, the formatting of the text will be deleted.
    This does not happen with Indesign cc 2018, but this will continue to happen in this 2019 upgrade.
    I ask you to correct this problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Objects with Opacity Fill below 100%, appear as 100% when PDF proof placed in a layout file.

Created ad with objects containing simple color fills below 100% (50% and 30%) opacity. Exported proofs to use in a Indesign magazine layout file. Once the PDF was dropped into a frame, those faded opacity values jumped back to 100%. Fix was to re-edit the original files, change Opacity values, re-save, re-export proof, drop proof back into main layout. Very annoying.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Document size change/Master page elements appearing on pages where no master page is applied

When changing the page size in Document Setup and ensuring that adjust layout is not selected, master page elements are showing up on pages where master pages are not applied.

Version: INDD CC 2019

Steps to Reproduce: (this does not happen in all cases) In this instance, I changed the document page size in document set up and ensured "Adjust layout" was not selected.

Expected Result: The document page size would change throughout, keeping the same layout as/properties as before.

Actual Result: Master page elements were applied to pages that did not have the master page applied (i.e. header on…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

14. images are missing

When opening v.2018 Indesign files or new v.2019 files, bitmap images are not displayed. Images are shown as gray boxes with an X across the box (see attached). Display settings changes do not remedy the problem.

I have to work in v.2018 until this is fixed.

ID version 14.0

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. properties panel

The tutorials all show the properties panel, but it is nowhere to be found. I tried the Windows tab, no dice. It's really annoying.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. InDesign CC 2019 - font error issues with PDFs

When latest InDesign CC 2019 creates a PDF using certain fonts, an error message appears when opening PDF in Acrobat Pro DC: "Cannot extract the embedded font 'JLUSWO+fontname'. Some characters may not display or print correctly."

Never had this issue with previous InDesign versions. The same PDF opens, views and prints perfectly in Preview. Creating PDFs by other applications with the same font are fine.

HELP!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

• Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

17. no break is not working 100%

InDesign CC 14.0 no break is not working all the time. Trying to keep web address together and have no break applied but the text is still splitting even though it can fit a single line of the text box. If I change width of text box the spaces get compressed and almost looks like there is no space between words.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. A2

When choosing the A2 format in a new document you get the following tallllll document

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Can you please look at the separations plate and let us know the color values.

You just have to follow simple steps:

1. Launch your InDesign
    2. Create an object say rectangle and fill your color
    3. Go to Window→Output→Separations Preview
    4. Select the drop down of View to Separations
    5. Hover over your object. The separations will show you how much % of which color component comprises the color.

Also, let me know the Platform and OS version that you are working on.
    A short video showing the issue will be very helpful.
    You can directly reach me out at sakverma@adobe.com

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

20. InDesign Enlarges New Assets larger than their Bounding Box

Since the new update, every time I drag an image or logo, etc. into Indesign and drag out how large I want the asset to be displayed....
    - Indesign places it (after a short delay), but makes the bounding box smaller than the actual asset. So the logo gets partially covered by the bounding box.

I'm not using the content aware sizing or anything. The bounding box should exactly match the asset as its being dragged in for the first time. Very frustrating.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Patrick,
    We’re sorry to hear that the latest version of InDesign is not behaving as per your expectations.
    You said that you are not using Content Aware Sizing. However, could you check once again to see if you have enabled the setting ‘Make Content-Aware Fit the default frame fitting option’ in the Preferences dialog (under General section)?
    Also it would be helpful if you can show us a quick demo of the issue and/or share the file (along with the asset).

Ravi Kiran
    Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base