Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6483 results found

1. Cross reference page number not appearing

While attempting to populate page numbers as cross references the leading text shows up, but the area where the number itself should be appears as a narrow blue box with a pound sterling icon beside it. An attempt to create a new document to test and only importing a couple of elements has cross references crash the program as soon as they are created and applied.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Image not populating in Data Merge

I have a file in which I merge in a PDF of a page, along with some variable text. I was seeing an ongoing issue where, when turning on Preview, the PDF image wouldn't appear, but there would also be no error.

After trying a few things, I realized that placing the pdf I wanted (on the pasteboard) while choosing an appropriate "crop to" setting, then turning Preview off and then on solved the problem.

I often place images with bleed, and the pdf file in question didn't have a bleed box, so I believe it was failing to import…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. inDesign - Banner warning first time using and preferences may have changed

WHEN NEW VERSION IS OPENED FIRST TIME
    Can you put up a banner the first time that tells me all my preferences may have blown out because this is a new version to remind me to check?
    Would not help me with this blowing out all the time...

Yes - I should check color settings prior to printing...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. inDesign 16.1 - New version(s) do not keep color settings for documents

Just one more thing to check EVERY time I look at the document.

Reverts to ---- Emulate Adobe inDesign 2.0 CMS Off

ISSUE
    A. Even after changing the Color Settings in an open document when I switch apps and come back the Colors Settings have reverted ---- Emulate Adobe inDesign 2.0 CMS Off ---- this is really, really annoying.

B. Opening a document that had been saved in the current version - the Color Settings did not save with the document -

I just made my regular preference without a document open - quit the program reopened -- the Color…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Layer comps not working with Indesign on PC

A 32 grouped layered file originally drawn in Clip studio paint, added layer comps in Photoshop does either:
    - upon placement place correctly but does not allow the changing of object layer options. OLO has a empty grey preview and does NOT change the image after pressing ok.
    - upon "update links" crashed indesign or gives the error "cannot place this image, unsupported color space" (same image as above which DID place)

I have tried to:
    - move the layers to a new file, same effect
    - opened other files similarly made which work
    - tried this on a MAC…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Find ‘Book’ font style bug

In InDesign 2021 (the latest version both on Mac and Windows), I add a text frame and fill it with placeholder text which is set, by default, to Minion Pro - Regular.
    Then I go to the find-change dialog box and set 'find format > basic character format > font style' to Book.
    And guess what happens when I hit the ‘find next’ button? It selects all the ‘regular text. (The document has no text with the 'book' font style applied!)
    Selecting another style — e.g. Bold, Italic, etc. — results, as expected, in the 'cannot find match' alert.
    Looks…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Emptiing a text frame when making corrections

Very often, when making corrections of the text, a text frame (not the one I am working on) is emptied and the text moves one page forward creating overflowed text. In most cases it happens on the next page, but sometimes it can be some other text frame -- forward or backward. I can't tell what is the reason of this behavior because it is different every time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Table borders, strokes, artifacted in InDesign problem

InDesign ver. 16.1 (2021): Table borders and strokes created on a separate layer and artifacted in InDesign are not tagged as artifacts when converted to PDF.
    Close to a hundred "Path Object" errors flagged by the PAC 3 Accessibility Checker which we are required to use. The problem is none of these borders and strokes can be accessed in Acrobat with the Reading Order tool and therefore cannot be marqueed as artifacts. They are simply “not available” in Acrobat, yet PAC 3 flags them as “Path Object Not Tagged” errors.
    ~ Replacing tables with paragraph borders (on single layer) in…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Double hyphen in words that already contain hyphen (minus)

Since a few weeks (we think since the InDesign 16.1 x64 update), we see a major problem in a lot of our books:
    Words that already contain a hyphen (minus sign: -), and that are hyphenated automatically by InDesign, get a double hyphen!
    Normally, when hyphenated words are at the end of the line, the 'hard typed' hyphen gets replaced by the automatic hyphen (with the blue ~ added above it), but now the automated hyphen is added, so we get two consecutive hyphens (--). Sometimes on the same line, sometimes one on the next (see example screenshot).

This is…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. InDesign Review Feature

My coworker and I are both suddenly facing major problems with the review functionality with Adobe InDesign 16.1 (Windows). This has only been occurring for about 10 days. When the review function actually works instead of an error or just loading nonstop (only works 30% of the time now), the links often don't work in the end for other viewers to review and show up as an error. Now, when this works, the comments from the review link are not showing up where they were placed, and when we go in to implement them manually in InDesign from the weblink,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. InDesign Review Feature

My coworker and I are both suddenly facing major problems with the review functionality with Adobe InDesign 16.1 (Windows). This has only been occurring for about 10 days. When the review function actually works instead of an error or just loading nonstop (only works 30% of the time now), the links often don't work in the end for other viewers to review and show up as an error. Now, when this works, the comments from the review link are not showing up where they were placed, and when we go in to implement them manually in InDesign from the weblink,…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. hyphenation error

When hyphenating a word like 'Groot-Brittanië' the hyphenated word shows two dashes which of course is not accurate.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Suddenly you can not save your document in any way.

You get no warning but suddenly tools etc does not work as supposed and you can not save your work in any way.
    If you use force quit it does not say "not responding" though.

It happens in this new version and with system BIG SUR on iMac

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Share for Review 'highlight' and 'strike through' issues

The share for review 'highlight' function and 'strike through' function are not visible in the host's files or the online preview. When one of our designers creates a document and then shares it with the team for review we receive a notification that text has been highlighted. When you navigate to the online preview or to the original indesign working file the notification lives in the share for review box but no text is highlighted so you don't know where the intended edit is. The same happens with the strike through function. Pinned items or using the marker tool are…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. idml crashes InDesign 16.1 Big sur - MacMini M1

I'm running InDesign 2021 16.1 and Big Sur, and a Mac Mini M1 chip. Every time I save an IDML file, then try to open the .idml InDesign will crash upon opening the IDML.
    I can open the original INDD file, but not the IDML.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. InDesign Partage pour révision ne s'affiche pas en ligne si on est connecté é ADOBE CC

Le lien URL Partage pour révision ne s'affiche pas dans le navigateur si on est connecté à Adobe CC .
    Il faut ainsi se déconnecter de ADOBE pour pouvoir voir le lien URL de partage de révision et ainsi faire les commentaires.
    C'est très ennuyeux !
    Il serait bien qu'avant de lancer des fonctionnalités, qu'elles soient testées en amont.

Cdlt

Guillaume

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Überschreiben von PDF-Dateien öffnet anstatt neue die alte Datei aus dem Cache

Das ist sehr sehr böse und passiert nur wenn man zwischendurch Akrobat nicht schliesst. Gott-sei-dank fiel mir das auf, denn ich wollte daraus eine PDFx3 schreiben und hätte dann die falsche Datei mit Fehlern, die eigentlich korrigiert waren, rausgeschickt.

SEHR BÖSE!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Arabic diacritic positions corrupted when inserting footnote reference or Index page reference

Indesign version: Last versions and older versions
    Steps to reproduce: Add footnote reference or Index page reference, some words in the same line will have dots and diacritics positioned wrongly.
    Expected result: Text should be the same before and after Reference insertions.
    Actual result: Diacritics and dots of some words in the same line gets repositioned wrongly.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Indesign 16.1 Insert new cross reference takes 20 minutes for the panel to load

Indesign version: 16.1
    Steps to reproduce: Insert new cross reference
    Expected result: New Cross-Reference panel should load within an acceptable delay
    Actual Result: New Cross-Reference pane takes extremely long time to load.

To add a new cross reference takes about 20 minutes for the panel to load, while editing an existing cross reference is normal. The issue is common to many documents.

I tried to go back to versions 16.0 and 16.01, but had the same issue.

I have used this feature in the past and every thing was normal.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Can't see highlighted input numbers in Medium Interface after upgrading to Mac OS 11.2.1

I just upgraded my Mac to OS 11.2.1 on Sunday and noticed that when I try to highlight numbers in the medium interface in both InDesign and Illustrator I can't see what I've selected. I think the highlight color is too close to the background color. The attached file shows that Photoshop has an option for "highlight" that is not available in Indesign or Illustrator and I have also included what it looks like when I try to highlight a number. You will see a tiny blue border on the boxes where I have highlighted the numbers.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base