Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6428 results found

1. Uservoice shows error message and creates double posts

I've klicked on publish button and got a error message at my last post.
    I thought maybe it's a problem with the size of the attachment, so I've tried an other file and got no problems at publishing.
    Now I've seen, that the first two attempts, that were stopped by a error message of this system here, were published too.
    So fyi, I didn't want to make a double or tripple post.

Maybe you want to take a look at this behaviour too.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. InDesign lags MacOS Catalina when using a screen profile other than sRGB

Reminder for Adobe not to forget this bug.
    As described here:
    https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/42272869-indesign-slow-in-macos-catalina-when-using-a-calib

and here:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/inddesign-2020-slow-performance-on-macos-catalina-10-15-1/m-p/11031304

Attached a screen capture of a very simple InDesign document showing the lag when changing the profile of the monitor to anything else than sRGB – even AdobeRGB doesn't work.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. InDesign lags MacOS Catalina when using a screen profile other than sRGB

Reminder for Adobe not to forget this bug.
    As described here:
    https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/42272869-indesign-slow-in-macos-catalina-when-using-a-calib

and here:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/inddesign-2020-slow-performance-on-macos-catalina-10-15-1/m-p/11031304

Attached a screen capture of a very simple InDesign document showing the lag when changing the profile of the monitor to anything else than sRGB – even AdobeRGB doesn't work.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Weird Bug with Resize to Frame

Resize frame to content messes up and I'm not sure if it's something to do with a setting I have set since this doesn't always happen.

Basically, I'll have a frame around some content with text in it.

When I hit "resize frame to content" ctrl-alt-c, it resizes the frame to the full document width, which looks like the example.

I obviously expect the frame to resize to the content, not to be super wide like the entire document.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Rechtschreibprüfung

Rechtschreibprüfung "Deutsch: Schweiz" seit Juni 2021 falsch: Es wird Rechtschreibprüfung Deutschland angezeigt.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Unknown character inserted before hyphen in PDF export

InDesign v16.1

We have an InDesign file where the word "papier" is hyphenised by InDesign in this way "pa-pier", but after exporting in PDF, an unknown character was inserted before the hyphen and is shown as the letter "u" overlapping a displaced hyphen. Copy/pasting the word from the PDF gives this: pa�-pier

If the PDF is exported again, the problem is not reproduced.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. index marker grep bug in findchangelist

The prelisted double to single space query in the findchangebylist.jsx also delets index markers between spaces.

While using the find-exchange window in ID to first look for [space]+(~I+)[space]+ to exchange it with [space]$1 works well enough, putting this in the findchangelist.txt, it deletes the index markers aswell. (note: [space] is only to visualize a regular space. I'm not writing it out in my queries.)

I also noticed, that they also only partially work in the regular GREP search in the F/E-window: using lookahead or lookbehind is only able to find the position of the marker but not the character that…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Files open small and display in the top left only - scrolling goes hay wire

the program seems to be functioning, but will only open and create new files in the top left hand corner of the screen. If I zoom in, it will zoom, but only in that small space. If I scroll, it goes hay wore showing only grey and clipping lines like it can't process what its viewing.

Help, I can't use Indesign at all with it like this.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Variable Fonts: Align Stroke to Center shows overlaps

When using variable fonts, the Align Stroke to Center shows the overlaps in letters with live text (not good). If I use Align Stroke to Outside the overlaps arenʻt shown with live text (good) but once I use Type > Create Outlines the overlaps are shown (not good).

This happens in many variable fonts, for example Source Code VF Concept (see screenshot attached), but also true with my own variable fonts and those from other type foundries.

With the non-variable font version, the Stroke looks good in all settings mentioned here. The variable font version should look the same. Thank…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. windows long paths not supported

InDesign fails to open or place files with long paths in Windows. The "Long Paths Enabled" registry setting is enabled (i.e. it is set to 1). The problem affects several functions:

1. From Bridge, Place > In Indesign causes "Script Alert: Error: Expected a reference to an existing File/Folder"

2. DataMerge in InDesign: images with long paths are skipped, i.e. aren't merged. There is no error message.

3. From InDesign. I cannot manually place a file with a long path through the “Place” dialog box. The dialog box will display the folder and thumbnails, but when I click the image to place it,…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Letter "a" does not appear

I was configuring Indesign Preferences on a new document. Suddenly, the letter "a" stopped working. I mean, I can't write a single word with the letter "a".
    Tried to open older documents, and the letter appeared when I pressed the button!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Transparent PNG Export generates dark lines in the half transparent shadow regions

InDesign 16.2.1

Trying to export transparent PNG files from InDesign from a page with a transparent PSD source, results in PNG files with dark lines in the shadow region of the exported png.

When deselect or select the "simulate overprinting" checkbox before export, the lines may disappear and the exported png is as expected.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Files change to 'Read Only' when I click on 'Save'

When I have updated to 16.2.1 x64 of InDesign I am experiencing an issue where files are becoming 'read only' once I have clicked save manually. I then have to re-save the document as a new filename and then go back and delete the original. It is happening when I am using Dropbox. I have experienced this using Dropbox at home and in work and has only started to happen once I have clicked 'save' manually with the latest version of InDesign

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Character style has trouble spanning more than one line

It used to be that InDesign had no trouble when a character style ran more than one line. From some time, including InDesign 16.2.1, if a character style is applied to a string of text that starts on one line and continues to the next line, for example the last few words on a line and the first few words on the next line, InDesign will force all the text with that Character Style onto the next line, and space on the text on the previous line to span the entire line.
    However, if you don't use a Character Style…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Paragraph Styles panel

In InDesign v 16.1 the Paragraph Styles panel is not showing any paragraph styles at all. I have tried creating new styles, saving them and they also don't show up. I have tried opening different files, where I know I have Paragraph Styles and it's still not working. Character Styles (most of which are nested in Paragraph Styles) on the other hand are displaying properly. I have tried resizing the panel, as suggested by another user, but no matter the size, nothing displays in the body of the panel.

If I open these same files in InDesign 15.1.3 the paragraph…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. [GPU Performance issue] ID 16.2.1 introduces GPU lag and stuttering on macOS

The InDesign 16.2.1 update for Mac introduces a general lag when panning, scrolling, or zooming in and out, using either the trackpad or the hand tool.

In the previous version of InDesign, when the Application Frame was active, each one of these actions was completely buttery smooth and GPU-accelerated.

Now, it's stuttery and choppy, and an overall unpleasant experience (although this was the default level of performance for many previous years of InDesign; however, now that we've seen much better, with software that actually makes use of our powerful hardware, we'd like not to regress).

The issue was found on…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. InDesign (16.2.1) Keyboard shortcuts stop working after mac goes to sleep

If my Macbook Air M1 goes to sleep with InDesign running, on waking the keyboard shortcuts no longer work (Space to drag, Option to duplicate etc). The only way to restore the functions is to reboot, after which it's fine again until it goes to sleep again.

Has anyone managed to find a fix for this? Resetting the preferences makes no difference and it's not a 3rd party software either, I've tested both possibilities and the fault still remains.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Color selection

When selecting an object and adding color, either when accidentally creating a stroke color or undoing an unwanted change, the pane becomes unresponsive The app continues running but the color selection pane becomes unusable. Restarting the application restores normal usage.

InDesign 16.2.1
    macOS Catalina 10.15.7

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. sticky rollover state on form checkboxes and radio buttons

I'm having an issue with checkboxes and radio buttons. I have a normal, off, rollover, and on state. The off state is 70% paper fill, the on and rollover states are slightly larger graphics with 100% fill and drop shadows, and the on state also has a green fill.

When exported to interactive pdf, the rollover state sticks and stays even after mouse out, causing the off state to rest on top of the rollover state. If I continue to mouse over the element, the drop shadow will get thicker and increasingly darker until black.

I'm using InDesign 16.2.1 on…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?