Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. My InDesign CC window will not minimise into the dock?

Hi,

Not sure where to go with this one but I have just upgraded to Adobe CC and noticed that I'm unable to 'Minimise' the window in InDesign and also noticed that it won't do it in Illustrator but Photoshop does minimise (ODD!)

All it will do is when you double click it fills to fit screen and then the opposite.

I have posted this onto the forum and others have mentioned that they are also experiencing this problem.

(I have turned on the 'Double -click a windows title bar to minimize' in the System Preferences)

Please could you help…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. CC2018 IDML files not compatible with CS6

Clients who have CS6 can't open any IDML files I create/export in CC2018. They receive an error message saying the format is unsupported or a plug-in is missing. IDML files created/exported from an earlier version of CC (2017) work fine.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  21 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Type on path ID CC 2018

creating a path then adding type to the path causes the terminal beachball of death– tried 4 times, restarted app and Mac tried again. Force quit required each time. I was able to copy a path with type on it from an older document. Very painful

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  5 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Problem with Ctrl+A

When you select a file with more than 500 pages with the command Ctrl + A, (to export RTF) Indesign hangs for many minutes. It did not happen in previous versions. Problem detected in Win10 64bit, the last 2 versions of Indesign.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

5. space before and after ordered and unordered lists

I'd like to space before and after fields added to the Bullets and Numbering panel of paragraph styles. I often prefer to base my ULs and OLs on my body style which includes the space applied to the end of the paragraph. I can remove the space but then my list item lack the proper spacing for the last item in the list. I fix this by creating a last item style and apply it manually but this is a real pain. It would be nice to have space before and after fields to adjust the padding around a list,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. whitespace handling processing instruction not working in InDesign CC 2018

If the XML contains "whitespace handling" processing instruction, then the XML text not visible in InDesign CC 2018, it returns empty paragraphs, but the same XML working fine in CC 2017.

Sample XML attached for your reference. Please check and revert ASAP.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Duden-Hyphenation changes the language in preferences

After setting Duden hyphenation in Preferences, the next time the menu is opened, it will change to "1996 Alte Rechtschreibung" instead of "2006 Neue Rechtschreibung". (only on WIN-machines?!?)
    Regards Frank Muenschke (IDUG Rhein/Ruhr)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. The killing of hard returns in ToC

This is a new feature with version 13 ... but (I think only on WIN machines) that can not be stored with the rest of the settings. After saving and creating a table of contents, the check mark is no longer set.
    regards Frank Muenschke (IDUG Rhein/Ruhr)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved For the User  ·  1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Microsoft word

bug in program InDesign CC 2018 (?)

Can not import Microsoft Word file in CC 2018 (system Windows 10 Version 1703)

send a screenshot in Czech language

translate screenshot: This file can not be placed. No filter was found for the requested operation

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Links on TOC doesn't work

Interactive links on the TOC does't work when I publish online or export to ePub. Even with “Create PDF Bookmarks” checked. The link itself is created, but it has no effect.

I'm using a Mac with InDesign CC 2018. (Until CC 2017 it was working fine).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Pages/spread overlapping after changing page size

InDesign 2018 CC 13.0.1

Pages and spreads are doing weird things when I resize my document. It creates some odd margin after resize of pages. I start out with 2 pages, document shuffling allowed, facing pages turned off.

Pagespread01112617 - shows the page spread I was working with; each page is 10”x12.25”.
    Page
    spread02112617 - after I changed the size to 10.68”x11.239” for another ad spread, a weird margin showed up. The content boxes show how there is an odd overlap; each box is 10.68" wide.
    Pagespread03_112617 - If I move page 2…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. pdf display default

When I try to export an InDesign file in PDF, it automatically saves it as a 2-page folder booklet.
    The display and layout options in Export to PDF are "default" and cannot be changed to "1 page".
    How can I change this and have a regular 1-page document?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Clicking between windows changes page on previous active window

Is anyone else having this odd behavior where clicking between windows change page shown on previous active window?

https://cl.ly/3N0L3G25150U

This happens on both new InDesign CC 2018 and CC 2017. I'm running:

• InDesign CC 2018 (Build 13.0.1)

• InDesign CC 2017.1 (Build 12.1.0.56)

• macOS 10.12.5

• iMac 27" Early 2013

I've post this here as well: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2417538

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. mac os high sierra font book - make it work.

mac os high sierra font book - when I make font changes there it creates long pinwheel pauses when switching back to indesign cc2018. Please fix.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Bug with search and replace on locked layers

Hi all,
    it seems I’ve found an InDesign bug that is creating some problem on a project for a customer.
    I have a document with a table nested inside another table, the layer is locked but I’m able to find the text inside the nested table even if the “search on locked layer” is inactive.
    I can also apply another paragraph style to the text inside the nested table (with the layer locked) and this is causing some problem because I need to change the styles of the text of unlocked layers with a script.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Editing font in table and it crashes

Selecting multiple cells and changing font, Indesign keeps crashing

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Horizontal and vertical measurements switched in Move dialog

I’m one of the dinosaurs who started out in the trade on a typesetting machine, and my preferred system of units uses picas for horizontal measures and points for vertical. This has mostly worked fine for years, but since the most recent update I notice that the Move dialog is using points for X and picas for Y. Not a major issue, but somewhat annoying. (ISTR previous versions with a similar bug in the Cell Options > Text dialog, where the left & right insets were in points and the top & bottom in picas, but that one now behaves…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Tab controls are buggy. InDesign CC 2018

When using the Tabs control dialogue box all sorts of problems begin to manifest. First, as you are working with the tabs controls page elements go sideways. Text overlaps, sometimes entire paragraphs preceding the area you are working in.

On occasion, the tabs simply don't line up to where you assign them, even when you do so numerically. (See screenshot)

Settings for paragraph styles take precedence over tabs settings (even though tabs traditionally were the opposite, taking precedence.)

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base