Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. When printing files from InDesign, we are experiencing issues. Random text is appearing bold that is not formatted as bold in the original w

When printing files from InDesign, we are experiencing issues. Random text is appearing bold that is not formatted as bold in the original working file. Also we are experiencing pictures imported that are pdfs as a black block and not showing the imported picture on the printed document. Do you have any recommendations on how this can be resolved? The only way we found to get around the matter is to create a pdf and print from the pdf. This issue has just been happening recently, we’ve never had this issue before.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Stroke Drawing Order not working

InDesign 2019 on MacOS 10.13.6

Steps to reproduce
    Define table stroke using the proxy in the Control panel (see screenshot) and try to change the Stroke Drawing Order.

Expected result
    Stroke Drawing Order "Row Strokes In Front" should be as selected in "Table Options"

Actual result
    Row Strokes are not in front. All strokes which are altered using the control panel options remain unchanged.
    If a new table is setup using only the menu options (Cell Options > Strokes And Fills) everything works fine.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In the Table Setup dialog, do the following:

In the Row Strokes section (2nd tab), choose Alternating Pattern : Every Other Row and then make the First 1 Rows and Next 1 Rows the exact same settings.

In the Column Strokes section (3rd tab), choose Alternating Pattern: Every Other Column and then make the First 1 Columns and Next 1 Columns the exact same settings.

In the Table Setup section (1st tab), you can set the Table Border as 0mm and Stroke Drawing Order as ‘Row Strokes in Front’.

Most probably this should help you get the results you are after. Try this out and let us know if it helps.

Adobe InDesign team

4. Drop cap does not work in Version 14.0.2. It literally does nothing.

Drop cap does not work in Version 14.0.2. It literally does nothing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Wordwrap

Anyone also having problems with word wrapping? Found some english words but many german words that InDesign doesn't seem to know :/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. find/change search selection changes randomly

ID 14.0.2

I use certain Find/Change queries repeatedly.

The queries are saved with the SEARCH option set to SELECTION.

Normally I select a portion of text and run the F/C query to automatically make changes.

Recently however, the query is sometimes applied to the WHOLE DOCUMENT.
    I haven't found a pattern, but maybe once out of every 4 tries. It seems it randomly defaults to SEARCH=DOCUMENT, instead of the way the query was saved.

Hope I have described it clearly enough...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Superscript numers will not carry over from mounted Excel-file

When placing a link to excelfiles that has a cell with superscript numbers the superscripted number will not carry over to the Indesign document. For instance 1234[2] will just show 1234 in Indesign.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. "Add all stories to assignment" doesn't include content of anchored text boxes

1) I'm using InDesign CC 2019 (14.0.2) under MacOS 10.14.6.
    2) - Open an INDD document with various text boxes
    - Execute Edit -> InCopy -> Add All Stories to Assignment
    3) I would expect this command to include also the content of text boxes that are anchored to other text boxes.
    4) However, it doesn't. The content of such text boxes is missing. However, when I go through the document and release all anchored text boxes before executing the command, it will work properly
    5) I'd love to attach an indd or idml test file but these file types…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. "Add all stories to assignment" doesn't include content of anchored text boxes

3) I would expect this command to include also the content of text boxes that are anchored to other text boxes.
    4) However, it doesn't. The content of such text boxes is missing. When I go through the document and release all anchored text boxes before executing the command, it will work properly
    5) See attached test file, text box "Quick tips"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. "Add all stories to assignment" doesn't include content of anchored text boxes

4) However, it doesn't. The content of such text boxes is missing. When I go through the document and release all anchored text boxes before executing the command, it will work properly
    5) See attached test file, text box "Quick tips"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Font menu on the Control bar - using the keyboard to replace missing fonts fails

If you attempt to use the keyboard to amend the missing [square bracketed] font in a given instance, by typing the name, using the cursor keys to select and then pressing enter to confirm, it reverts back to the missing font; rather than the normal behaviour (when a font isn't missing) of designating the font/weight chosen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Cross Reference take forever to create

With a document containing many tables and already some CrossReference in it (not from or to table itself), creating a new cross reference take forever (minutes) to load the New Cross Reference Windows. The windows open at [All Paragraphs].

This is with 14.0.2. Same bug on 13.1, but works perfectly on version cc2017 12.1
    This on MacOS 10.13.6 but same issues on Windows.

In CC2017, the new cross reference window open with no paragraph style selected. It should be the same in CC2019.

Test file upon request only.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Space character inserted following ligature replacement

Hello,
    InDesign v14.0.2 inserts an (inaccessible) space character immediately following a substitution performed by the OpenType "Ligatures" feature. This does not occur in Illustrator, Photoshop, nor any other text layout app I'm using.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Find/Replace on a page

Find can be restricted to Document / All documents and stories.
    How about a restriction to the current page, or a page range?
    And maybe to the visible part of the document, or 'nearby' the current work area?

In large documents the range of search can be confusing and a cause of errors.

Another use of this is to quicly find a word or phrase when editing / reviewing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Clicking document-installed font from font list gives error to "activate font" and doesn't change font.

InDesign 14.0 on Windows 10 x64

I just upgraded to InDesign 14.0, and there appears to be a bug when clicking a document-installed font from the font list. The font list gives an error message to "Click 'Activate' button to activate fonts" and the text frame keeps the existing font, instead of changing to the new font.

Expected result:
    The expected result would be the same behavior as InDesign 13.1, where you could click a document-installed font from the font list, and the text frame would update to the newly selected font.

Actual result:
    In InDesign 14.0, clicking a document-installed…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

17. Fonts displayed as missing with (OTF) appended even though they're installed

InDesign seems to struggle to recognise installed fonts - possibly something to do with how Skyfonts works?

A file created with Skyfonts fonts shows the font family in square braces with (OTF) appended and substitutes default font, rather than making use of the identically named font file, sitting in c:\windows\fonts\ on PC / Font Book on Mac.

Same result if the font files are dumped in a Document fonts subfolder next to the InDesign file.

Troublingly, using a different font cloud sync app (or in the rare instance where the font is available on fonts.adobe.com) doesn't remove the issue -…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Right Arrow / Left Arrow in tables

InDesign version 14.0.

The keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+Right Arrow" to move one word to the right does not work when the text cursor is in a table. Same for "Ctrl+Left Arrow", to move one word to the left.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. data merge

DataMerge is failing to import UTF 8 text as unicode. This is a new problem.
    Adobe Indesign CC 14.02
    1. Create UTF 8 Text file for merging.
    2. Open previously functional Indesign document with keys already established.
    3. Select data source
    4. Choose text file (UTF8 no BOM) (if you have BOM, file isn't recognized)
    5. Tick show import options (never needed to do this before)
    6. Make sure its Unicode.
    7. Data still comes in in ASCII even though I chose Unicode.
    This has to be a merge problem because I can cut and paste the data into the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Footnote reference disappears when adding Unicode 1D513 into line

I am using InDesign 14.0.2.

We are a book publisher, and we sometimes use a special character in some of our academic work: a gothic P—the Unicode character 1D513 (Mathematical Fraktur Capital P). See: https://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/1d513/index.htm

However, it does something very wonky with footnotes, which seems to be a bug. If we insert this character—Unicode 1D513—in the same line as a footnote reference, it makes the footnote reference disappear. The footnote stays in place. We have tried different fonts, but it doesn't seem to be font dependent. However, if it is in the same line, but after the footnote reference, it…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base