Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "Use Typographer's Quotes" is off by default. Is this a cruel joke?

And this setting seems to automatically reset to "off" arbitrarily. I cannot count how many times I have had to toggle it back on.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Lao Line Breaking Support

I'm working on a major project using the Lao language and InDesign. The Lao text is not flowing correctly in InDesign. There are addons that provide these features (LaoScript), but there isn't native InDesign support, from what I can tell.

Lao text does not seem to properly word wrap. Many professionals use zero-width-spaces in Lao to create invisible 'spaces' between words so that applications properly word wrap. However, this has significant drawbacks and makes it harder for Lao people to use and edit their language because editing text with invisible characters is difficult (especially on mobile, but PCs as well).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Empty merge fields introduce characters that cannot be found

When you perform a data merge and create a new merged document InDesign adds hidden characters where the empty data field would be. These characters cannot be found using a standard search. I have not tried GREP.

In my case I was working on business cards. Some records have no mobile number so there is a blank line in the merged document, apart from the M prefix that would normally indicate a mobile number. I wanted to remove all those lines so I selected one, from the M at the beginning to the paragraph break at the end. I pasted…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. No longer shows hidden characters for one particular document.

I just updated to InDesign 14.0.2 x64 on Windows 7.
    The option Type > Show Hidden Characters no longer works for this document.
    It does not show newlines, paragraph marks, etc.
    This document has one pages at 2.5" x 5" size, with only text.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Custom Thai character set does not display properly in composite font

In the Composite Font Editor, I defined a custom character set that includes all of the characters in Noto Sans Thai and tried specifying various Thai fonts to that character set as part of a composite font.

However, regardless of the font I specified and regardless of what fonts I specified for the other parts of the composite font in certain circumstances three Thai tone characters would not display (U+0E48, U+0E49, and U+0E4C). As far as I can tell, they *do* display when they are above another tone character, but they do *not* display if they are the only tone…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. CC Libraries Saved Text issue

In CC Libraries I have pre-set headlines text set with font and kerning. When I drag and drop desired headline into page layout, the font is changed out to something completely different. I've double check the save CC text file is it's as it's should be. I'm not sure what happened or how to fix it. These headlines I use on a daily bases have have hand kerning needed to each, which is time consuming to do each time.

Screen shots are with a headline what I'm looking to change from "All you need." to "The real deal." Both are…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. eyedropper tool

Using the eyedropper tool to select a color from the desired text is not working properly. Only strokes are painted with the desired color, not the text. It should like Illustrator's eyedropper tool which works perfectly. I have to use Illustrator's eyedropper tool to get the desired results I want.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Cross reference takes more space than its text

A cross reference sometimes takes up more space than its actual text.

In the attached shows a frame with text with the right side of the text frame visible and the word "with" (above) extending well beyond the 2nd to last line in the frame. The "112" in the picture is a cross reference. When that cross reference is removed and "regular" text is typed in the 112 fits on the line.

Question first posted and confirmed by another here: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10908454#10908454.

This happens in CS6 and in CC2019, 14.0.1 x64.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Can't add uncapitalised word to dictionary

When I come across a word with an internal capital during spell-checking, eg: iPad, the 'Add' box is live (blue) but nothing happens when I click it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Selecting text is offset slightly so you select the wrong characters

Selecting text is sometimes really difficult as where you click is slightly off from what InDesign thinks you're clicking on. That means that when you highlight a word, it often misses the first character that you're trying to select. You then have to move the cursor slightly over another character for it to highlight it.

It's really frustrating as it doesn't seem to happen in all documents. The ones I'm having issues with at the moment use the customer's own font but I've been using that same font for about 5 years with no issues until now.

I'm using InDesign…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Duplicating Page with table and copy/pasting a table changes content of table BUG?

Version: 14.0.2

I have a table that represents a linear calendar. Each month occupies a single row. I created a table to make the calendar, with each date in its own cell. I had some trouble figuring out how to make a new cell start at 1 for each month, as it wanted to continue from the last month's last date (...32, 33, 34, ...). I managed to make it work by changing the numbering options on each individual starting cell.

However, now when I try to duplicate a page containing the calendar, or if I try to copy/paste the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Keyboard shortcuts to change case not working on Windows

Keyboard shortcuts to change case of lines of text is no longer working. Apart from Alt-T to get up the text menu, I'm now having to use the mouse to select the further options to change to Title case. The sequence Alt-T-E-T, no longer works. As I frequently have many entries which need unifying each time I use it, this once useful feature is sorely missing. Please can you fix it Adobe?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Foot note enters the main text body after dividing a paragraph into 2 columns

Foot note enters the main text body after dividing a paragraph into 2 columns… look at the video. It says everything.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ligatures

I loaded the Adobe InDesign CC Ap from Creative cloud, version 14.0.2 x64. The file I had used before now has missing text! Specifically the "fl" in the Active Ingredients list "Isoxaflutole" which now appears as Isoxa utole" throughout the whole book with empty space for the "fl". Even the word "flowables" appears as " owables".

The file seems to have "Ligatures" checked in the character palette which I did not check. I'm using Helvetica fonts.
    Any suggestion as to how to get my text back? See attached files.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Editing type size from story editor is inconsistent

This is a bug, not an idea.

When I attempt to resize text by highlighting text within the story editor, the changes I punch into the toolbar do not always commit. I often have to make 2 or 3 attempts to get my changes to successfully commit.

This issue has been persistent over many versions of Indesign, over many Mac OSes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. -100% shows up as blank cell

When you import a table into InDesign, if you have -100% in a cell it will show up as a blank cell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Conditional text prevents smart text reflow.

Conditional text prevents smart text reflow.

When using Smart Text Reflow with conditional text and the "delete empty pages" option selected—Hiding conditional text works as expected removing the empty pages. However, when conditional text is unhidden, Smart Text Reflow does not repopulate the pages.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. InDesign False Ligatures Bug

InDesign sometimes, seemingly randomly, replaces pairs such as hn, il, io, sy, ek, etc. with completely wrong glyph, such as accented Y, U, etc., when regular Ligature setting is applied. This has been a problem since CS5 and we recently had it occur in CC2015, so it is still there. Affected fonts have been many over the years, including licensed Adobe fonts. Fonts can be Open Type or PostScript. Language setting can be English US, UK, or seemingly anything else. The only thing that works to avoid it is to turn off Ligatures which is generally unacceptable, so the only…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base