Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Grep expressions with ~F in a character class fail in endnotes

The inclusion of ~F in a character class invalidates grep expressions in endnotes.

InDesign version: 14.0.2.324 (with the GREP fix installed)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open the attached document. It contains a single page with text and an endnote.

2. In the GREP tab of the Find/What window, enter the following GREP expression:

\d[^.,;~F]+

And target the document. The expression matches from a digit up to the next period, comma, semicolon, or footnote marker.

Expected result: The expression should match some text in the main text and in the endnote.
    Actual Result: The expression does not match anything in the endnote.

To…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Inline vector graphics pixelate while typing in high quality display performance mode

InDesign 14.0.2 on Windows 10

1) Set display performance to high quality
    2) Paste an EPS or PDF into a text frame as an inline graphic. It should render crisply as you'd expect in high quality mode..
    3) Start typing in the text frame that contains the inline graphic. The inline graphic pixelates.
    4) Click out of the text frame or stop typing for ~10 seconds. The graphic returns to its unpixelated, high-quality state.

Context: we are upgrading 100 users from InDesign 2014 to InDesign 2019. This worked perfectly well without any pixelation or lag in InDesign 2014, but is…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Align the Arabic text dots

In Arabic
    When more than one line of dots
    The text is not aligned correctly

Previous versions do not have this problem

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Mongolian

Issue: InDesign does not support Mongolian vertical text direction from left-to-right.

Version: InDesign 2019, 14.0.2 x64

Steps:
    1. Place or paste Mongolian text into an InDesign text frame by using the attached Word document
    2. Skew the text frame 90 degrees (as done with vertical Chinese and Japanese).

Expected result: Please see the attached Word document and screenshot.

Actual result: Notice that the vertical text direction is right-to-left and not left-to-right. Even if the text frame is skewed in the opposite direction (minus 90 degrees) the text is just mirrored and thus not readable.

Test files and screenshot: They are…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Indesign performance issue : Slow work of Indesign when editing text with large footnotes

I'd like to report a bug. Please follow the scenario below:

1. In a single column with lots of text in it, make two columns for a fragment of text

2. In text within the two-column setup, make a footnote. Add several lines of text to the footnote

3. Turn on the "Span Footnotes Across Columns" feature so that footnote ends up in the same group with the footnotes at the bottom of the page rather than below the two-column fragment

4. Expected behaviour: normal editing can be performed after these manipulations

5. Observed behaviour: any text editing after turning on the "Span Footnotes Across…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Loss of typographic enrichment (italic, bold, etc.) on import

On CC2019 14.0.3 but also on previous versions.
    When I import a Miscrosoft Word text I sometimes lose part of the enrichment. On the attached example the majority of Bold are kept but some are gone. This is very problematic when working on documents of several hundred pages.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Loss of typographic enrichment (italic, bold, etc.) on import .docx files

On CC2019 14.0.3 but also on previous versions.
    When I import a Miscrosoft Word text I sometimes lose part of the enrichment. On the attached example the majority of Bold are kept but some are gone. This is very problematic when working on documents of several hundred pages.
    The problem occurs with .docx files but not with .doc files.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Burmese font rendering error

InDesign CC 15
    WorldScript doesn't compose Burmese Unicode characters correctly, shifting the location of some characters and not positioning some accents correctly, do you have a plan to fix this as it has been like it for a long time? Other languages like Lao and Khmer have been fixed over time, but not Burmese.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Variable Font not working in InDesign 2020

We came along a severe bug within InDesign 2020 and Variable Font.

These Blog Posts are describing it quite well:

https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/variable-fonts-indesign-2020-bug/13051

and:
    https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/variable-fontz-in-indesign/13032

Illustrator and Photoshop do not have this bug.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Bug with world ready composer when use space like thin en or em space in Thai language. And bug in text wrapping in 2020 version.

After updated to 2020 version that added support to Asian languages (include Thai), it look like Indesign force user (in my case Thai) to set language in Advanced Character Formats to Thai. After set the language Indesign also require me to use World-Ready Composer to set all tone marks in place.
    Before the latest version, I always avoid to use World-Ready Composer because it combines a word to single object, not just locks tone mark and float vowel to character in the right position. By which it impossible to navigate with text tool to the position of text that…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. No translation in French for the variable fonts panel in Indesign 2020

1 - Indesign 2020 (15) - French version
    2 - Use a variable font

Modify it with the properties panel or control bar

3 - The interface should be in French
    4 - When the panel is shown the interface stay in english
    The variable fonts panel stay in English

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for sharing the feedback with us.
    Please note that the design axes names are provided within the font itself, therefore the translated string for these axes names cannot be displayed unless the font designer has incorporated it in the font.

However, Adobe Illustrator explicitly translates 5 predominantly used design axes names(Weight, Width, Slant, etc.), but this does not seems appropriate for fonts having more than 5 design axes(like Amstelva Alpha which has 16 axes).

Hence the attribute names are not translated.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

12. Typekit keeps breaking sync and deleting downloaded fonts

Typekit keeps breaking sync and deleting downloaded fonts.

When I open Indesign, the fonts I previously downloaded are nonexistant which makes working with my document impossible! This happens at least once a week and persists after multiple uninstalls, system restarts and re-installs. Sometimes, it does not sync (or only some fonts sync) even after logging in again.

On a side note, Adobe CC downloader constantly logs me out.

With all the--excessive--background processes adobe now forces us to run you would think there shouldn't be an issue. I am more than happy to provide feedback and system information to fix this…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. footnotes

The "drag-and-drop" function works with normal text but not with footnotes references.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. CC2020 story doesn't show hyperlink symbols

Hello,

With CC 2019 I could switch into story mode and see the starting and ending tags for a hyperlink. This ability was beneficial because I found the text editor struggled to reveal/understand the boundaries of the hyperlink's text-it couldn't tell where the hyperlink ended. If you look in the first figure, if I type at the end of the hyperlink, even with first keying a space symbol, the hyperlink extends into any further sentences I type.

In 2019 I would use the story editor to move the cursor outside the hyperlink termination symbol and get around the problem. With…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Open the Hyperlinks panel and see whether the Hyperlinks are actually there. It could be that the Hyperlinks were initially created (hence the Blue color Underline beneath them) but were removed later on. That’s why the Story Editor does not show them.

From the Hyperlinks panel flyout menu, choose ‘Convert URLs to Hyperlinks…’ and see if the Hyperlink Start and Termination Symbols are shown in the Story Editor.

Adobe InDesign team

15. Link text box with an existing box don't work anymore

When I try to link a text box with an other existing text box, it doesn't work anymore. It's creating me a new box. In other version of indesign it was not a problem.
    I can't find anything about new features in indesign 2018, can you help me?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. mac os extended italian keyboard - entering numbers keys obtain error on text showed

Digiting numbers on my extended keyboard using numbers section on the right of the keyboard the result is a changement in the phrase font and numbers don't appear in the phrase. Now I can use only numbers on top of the keyboard.
    InDesign 15.0.1
    OS 10.15.1

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. bullets

When I convert text to outlines, bullets disappear.
    Adobe Indesign 15.0

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Eyedropper bug — attribute pick-up is glitched by hidden layers above

If there are objects overlapping and above the source for the eyedropper tool, — even if those objects are on a hidden layer — the tool picks up a color of no fill and no stroke.

If the hidden layer is dropped below the target layer, the problem goes away.

These observations are based on original input by Bill Silbert in this User Forum discussion:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-cc-2020-eyedropper-problem-turning-text-to-no-color/m-p/10765424#M165918

InDesign versions v14 through v15

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Since 2020 update, InDesign won't correctly import and replace typekit fonts.

When opening a file that uses a typekit font, Indesign attempts to "install" it (fonts that SHOULD already be there anyway, or were installed previously). The wheel spins indefinitely, and it never installs. My only workaround I've found is to attempt to find a download elsewhere on the web. Then it works fine. It seems to only be an issue with Indesign, and only since the 2020 update. Something similar happens with some non-adobe fonts, too. Says it's not installed, but it is.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Importante! Marcadores e Numeração... Bug ao inserir um caractere especial, tipo FontAwesome...

Cria uma lista e caracteres infinita, além da borda das telas (uso duas sobrepostas) e não permite selecionar a fonte correta!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base