Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

151 results found

1. Text margins don't change when master pages are applied

Version: InDesign CC2019
    Steps to reproduce: Apply a new Master page, with different margins, to a document page with text frame
    Expected result: Text frame should resize to fit the new margins of the master page (as before with Layout Adjustment enabled)
    Actual result: Page margins change but text frame stays the same. Useless! I have to manually adjust the text block to fit the new margins.

I work in book publishing. When laying out a book, it's often necessary to make changes to the margins of certain pages, either to accommodate the dropped opening of a chapter, or to…

91 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

2. When you place an object with ‘Corner Options’ and ‘Text Wrap (Wrap around object shape)’ on a frame, the text moves.

Checked on Windows 10 Japanese version, InDesign CS5 to CC2024

1.Create a new document
    2.Create a frame grid with the Horizontal Grid Tool
    3.Insert a few line breaks at the beginning and assign sample text
    4.Draw a rectangle with the Rectangle Tool
    5.Set the shape in Corner Options to anything other than ‘None’
    6.Set the text wrap to ‘Wrap around object shape’
    7.When the drawn rectangle is placed on the frame, it is pushed out by one character

It’s strange that the text moves even though the rectangle is not placed on top of the text.

Conditions for the object…

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Underlines are drawn in the space left by "danraku jisage".

When I use "danraku jisage " in the "mojigumi akiryou settei" , an underline is underlined in the empty space at the beginning of a line.
    Since there are no characters in the empty space, it is correct that underlines are not underlined in the same way as when indentation is used to lower the line.

「文字組みアキ量設定」で「段落字下げ」を行ったとき、行頭の空いている部分にも下線が引かれてしまう。
    空いている部分には文字はないので、インデントで下げたときと同じように、下線は引かれないのが正しい。

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. With Adjust Layout ON, Text Frames shrink to extremely tiny size on changing Margins.

I am working in Adobe InDesign CC 2019 14.0.1. When I have a manuscript already flowed into my document and try to adjust the margins on the master page with Adjust Layout enabled, when the new margins are applied to the document, all the existing text boxes "disappear." From what I can tell, they have been resized down to an infinitely small point in the middle of the spread. Obviously, this is not useful. I used to be able to adjust the margins across an entire book-length document in one go with layout adjustment, and the text on every page…

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

5. Adjust Layout: add an option to ignore objects anchored in text or bring back legacy (2018) layout adjustment

I always made extensive use of the old layout adjustment feature in 'margins and columns', yet the new 'adjust layout' gives inconsistent and confusing results, resizing objects that never used to get changed.

It's gone from being very useful to a liability.

For me it was great for resizing the main text frame on multi-page (100s+ pages) books, but leaving the objects pasted into the text frame alone (figures, etc). Also moving page numbers aligned with margins, but not changing the sizes.

The new feature stretches and distorts carefully measured objects/figures, changes anchored object settings (at least, things move about…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. We will review it shortly.

-InDesign Team

6. Duplicating pages moves content

It seems duplicating pages in Indesign 2019 or 2020 moves content around the page. This is the first time I have experienced this after opening an old file, saving it as a new file and then trying to duplicate a page. The fix I found for this is to UNTICK 'Adjust layout' in the 'Layout/Margins and Columns' dialogue box and then try duplicating the page again. This time the content should not move. Definitely an adjust layout bug.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Disappearing objects

I'm finding several of my indesign documents now have this lovely helpful trait where random objects dissappear and reappear off the page depending on zoom or moving other objects near it making it near unusable as a program unless I waste time copying and pasting everything on to a new document. Sort it out adobe this program should NOT have this level of bug at v14!

Running a late 27" 4.2GHz i7 iMac with 24GB RAM 512BG SSD and Radeon 575

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. objects do not snap to objects within a group

When scaling or repositioning objects contained within a group, the object should snap to other objects within that group (when smart guides are enabled)

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Adjust layout without resizing anchored objects

With the Adjust Layout feature activated, if I resize the margins of a page or apply a master page with different margins, anchored objects on the page end up getting resized. I have even had some anchored objects disappear completely (although the anchors are still there). I want to be able to adjust the main text frame on a page to the new margins WITHOUT changing the anchored objects, which are part of the text flow and should not be changed.

For example, in designing a book, I want to apply a certain master page to pages with chapter headings.…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Ungrouping deletes all items

Using Adobe InDesign CC up-to-date on a PC running Windows 10.

1. Ungrouped group of text boxes + image boxes.
    2. All text in boxes disappeared but outlines remained. However in the layers you could see that they were deleted.

Strangely enough, by deleting a different hidden layer, I could ungroup the group and they would not be deleted.

Definitely the weirdest InDesign bug I've seen to date.

Any help would be appreciated!!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Shortcut for duplicate in InDesign doesn't work on MacBook Pro

The keyboard shortcut for Duplicate (option+command+shift+D) in Indesign 14.0.1 doesn't work on my MacBook Pro (OSX 10.14.3).
    The work around is to either Alt+Drag or to select the item, select the Edit Menu and then hit the shortcut.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Can't wrap the first line of a page

If I place an anchored image at the very start of the page, the first line does not wrap, it disappears behind the image. One solution in the forum was: Make an invisible line of 0pt. Are you kidding me?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. adjustLayout Doesn't work when used in an Extendscript

In InDesign 2014 I used Document.layoutAdjustmentPreferences.enableLayoutAdjustment to make text boxes and images adjust to new measurements of a page and it worked pretty well.

In InDesign 2019 I understand it has been replaced with Document.adjustLayoutPreferences.enableAdjustLayout and I can trigger it with my script but it doesn't work as before - text boxes and images remains on the original place.

If I use the function manually, without scripting, it works fine, text and images adjusts to the new measurements.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Please bring back the Layout Adjustment!!!

I'm a typesetter that misses this feature to adjust the sink on Chapter Openers. It is the main reason why I do not use CC19.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. pasteboard

what have you done to the pasteboard??
    why do I have to jump through hoops to see objects off my pages? I routinely put things there I might need and now I have to rework my layouts too see the pasteboard.

IF I DON'T WANT TO SEE THE PASTEBOARD, I HAVE PRESENTATION VIEW.

stop with the needless changes and do some real improvements,ents, like allowing me to select various points (from different strokes) and align them without moving all the strokes.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. step repeat

Maybe put horizontal before vertical in Step and Repeat.... Everybody knows that x comes before y in a 2D coordinate system. It's basic geometry. I can't be the only person who trips on this bug. FIX IT!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Data Merge should support Line Breaks (New lines) in the data field without needing new field

I understand you can create a new field in order to make a new line but each field has a different number of lines that becomes difficult.

I am inserting lyrics for a client and they want each line to have a break in between. Some are short (2 lines) and others may be as long as 20 lines. multiple fields would be a ridiculous solutions. Data merge should support it with a special character like /n or the like. It would make things way easier. Thank you.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. "Unable to adjust document layout due to an error."

1. Adobe InDesign CC 2019
    2. File >Adjust Layout > I select Custom page size; Auto-adjust margins to page size change; Options - adjust font size, adjust locked content.
    3. Expected result: page and all objects and fonts shrink from those I needed for a 8.5" x 11" (letter sized) doc. to 7.222" x 6" (6-column newspaper ad size) I need to produce a print-ready PDF for newspaper layout.
    4. Actual result: the error message "Unable to adjust document layout due to an error." (note: the preflight shows no errors, all links working, everything copacetic).
    5. See screen shots.
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Exiting presentation mode on external monitor brings InDesign window to primary monitor.

Exiting presentation mode on external monitor brings InDesign window to primary monitor. I am working on a macbook laptop with an external apple screen. I work on the external monitor and when i enter presentation mode and exit InDesign is brought down to my laptop screen.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Adjust Layout Options - retain object adjustment but lock ruler guides in place

When ruler guides are locked and the option to adjust locked content is deselected, the guides still move proportional to the margins. There needs to be an option to treat ruler guides as objects are treated, where it's possible to actually lock the ruler guides in place while still utilizing Adjust Layout.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base