Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

520 results found

1. InDesign crashes sporadically while scaling/rotating objects

I've noticed numerous times that InDesign will crash while scaling/rotating objects. Can you please fix this bug?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. freezing

I use InDesign 15.0.2 on Win 10 and it constantly freezes / crashes. Or on and off complains that certain Adobe fonts are missing. Opening and closing the file restores the fonts.
    E.g. when I open my file and try to change a stroke color InDesign freezes.
    InDesign is basically useless.

Hope you can give me a solution to fix this.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Crash when changing bullet character options

Just updated to the newest InDesign version (as of 28.03.2020).
    Whenever changing the character style on a bullet list, in my case trying to change the character color of the bullet/numbering character (1., 2., 3. ...) , either via paragraph style -> bullet options or directl via character style window, InDesign crashes. The application does not crash when I choose the "Overprint Fill" option.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Autoflow Text is Crashing InDesign

Autoflow text is crashing InDesign. The progress bar gets to about 90% and then it crashes.

The text document is about 50,000 words, so it's nothing unusual.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Crash when scaling text beound 1296 pt

I can repeatably make InDesign crash by:

1: Creating a big page (Mine is 250x100cm)
    2: Making a textframe and writing a short word (I wrote "café")
    3: Hit "E" and scale the frame by dragging the corners
    4: If I scale the frame so the point size is higher than 1296 pt InDesign will crash.

I am on InDesign 15.0.2 on MacOS 10.14.6

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. Crash: "Keep Lines Together" (All) and disabled "Allow Split Footnotes" crashes InDesign if there are footnotes in a table

100% reproducible on InDesign 15.0.2 on Windows 10.
    Sample document for easy reproduction: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iirawdsvd27l95l/indesign%20crash.indd?dl=1

Starting point:
    1. I have a table containing some footnotes.
    2. Footnotes are not allowed to be split.
    3. The table (including footnotes) doesn't fit in the frame, so the last row jumps to the next frame.

To crash InDesign:
    1. Place the text marker in the paragraph containing the table.
    2. Go to Keep Options.
    3. Check "Keep Lines Togheter" and "All Lines in Paragraph".

Result: InDesign immediately hangs and you have to force quit.

Please fix? Should be easy to track down the internal…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are reviewing it

-InDesign Team

8. Indesign crashes after copying text

Indesign crashes immediately after copying text. It seems that this only happens with formatted text. If I separate the text box from the paragraph format, I can copy the text. But that is very time consuming and annoying. When I open Indesign again, it crashes immediately. And when I finally managed to open the file again and click on "Paragraph format" in the sidebar, Indesign freezes. The bug has occurred since the last 2-3 versions of Indesign and I hope that the bug will be fixed with every new one. Unfortunately, this did not happen.

Indesign 15.0.2
    MacOS: 10.15.3

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. 7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. InDesign 15.0.2 won't open

The new 15.0.2 version on a Mac will continue to bounce and not open. The splash screen doesn't show and the app will not respond. I have let the app try to open for an extended period of time, but after 10 minutes of just bouncing and not opening, the app has to be force quit.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Resolved For User  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    As confirmed by the user, The issue is resolved.
    The issue was related to few bad fonts housed within the system fonts folder..

Regards
    InDesign Team

11. InDesign "hangs" when exporting to InCopy:

MAC, OS 15.10.3, InDesign 2020:
    Problems exported via InCopy (hangs and hangs and sometimes crashes) YES I have updated InCopy too. InDesign will no longer export IDML files (could this be due to no longer available to open in CS6?)

Unfortunately, I am the only person who has upgraded to Catalina.

Id this an Adobe fix or an Apple OS fix?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. large footnote

When I touch up the large footnotes, The indesign file got corrupted

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. InDesign 2020 hangs, had to Force Quit

Closed a document, leaving InDesign open with no documents open, then tried to quit InDesign. No response. After about a minute, had to Force Quit.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

As confirmed by the customer that upgrading to latest version InDesign CC 15.0.2 the issue is resolved.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

14. Crashes on opening document created in indd 2019

Crashed as soon as I opened a document from 2019. After several tries, I was able to open the same document successfully, but it didn't recognize fonts in the Document fonts folder. It didn't matter whether it was opened from within InDesign or from the Finder. The successful attempt was from the Finder.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. InDesign 2020: crashing, undo doesn't work, missing fonts, text wrap is broken, so many bugs

The Undo bug is back. I tried to undo some text (in a table) and it reverted the document back to the previous save and then crashed.

On re-opening, ID complains that it can't find my installed fonts that I used in the document. They show up in the document, it just complains that they are not there. These are fonts that I bought and installed, so I know they are available.

I have also been having problems with text wrap not working half the time. I set a box (I've tried both image and text boxes) to text wrap…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Resolved For User  ·  amaarora responded

As per the customer, the issue got resolved by uninstall and re installation of InDesign 2020.

16. InDesign 2020 v15.01 makes corrupt documents when using Alternate Layout

The "Create Alternate Layout" in indesign 2020 v15.01 is toxic.

After using it, chances are high that documents will at some later stage become corrupt. It may manifest itself by crashing on copy/paste or just a spinning beachball of death (Mac).

I have seen this on at least 20 different documents since upgrading from version 2019 to version 2020 (15.0.1). We never used version 15.0.

This is my guess on what happens:
    Using "Create Alternate Layout" it will make some of the Paragraph Styles corrupt. Version 2020 seems to crash (beachball) whenever one of these are accessed. This might very…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Opening Files InDesgin Freezes

Adobe InDesign CC 2020 15.0.01 Mac

Trying to open a file that was packaged in Indesign CC 2018, When opening Indesign Freezes and does nothing.

Expected result: opening a file correctly with minor delay
    Actual Result: Indesign just freezes.

NOTE: in the video an other file that i tried to open earlier but after force quiting the file opens as an Untitled file.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. long text variable

InDesign (2020) crashes on opening IDML file with to long text variable as header. It worked in InDesign 2019.
    InDesign (2020) kraschar vid öppnande av IDML-fil som innehåller textvariabel med för mycket text. Det fungerade i InDesign 2019.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign freezes and then crashes

Version: InDesign 15.0.1 x64
    Issue(s): 1. One example is that when working in InDesign and go to save a file the application shows that the icon is spinning and never seems to stop spinning. Then an error message pops up on the screen indicating some sort of issue and then the application crashes to the desktop.
    2. When opening up a file that I have been working on it takes a while to open and when it does open it opens a prior file that I was working on.
    Expected Results: 1. When saving a file I am expecting the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. 2020 moving pages

If I move pages that have hyperlinks from a 2019 ID version (converted), the move crashes ID 2020. The only way to get the move to stop crashing ID 2020 is to delete all the hyperlinks in the source ID doc that was converted from ID 2019.

Version is ID 15.0.1 ... and doing a reboot didn't fix it. I also saved the converted file as IDML to try and remove the "corruption" (that has worked in the past) and the re-constituted INDD file still crashes ID 2020.

If I try to copy and paste a text block with links…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base