Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

517 results found

1. 12/05/19 Updates in Indesign

Update on 12/05/19 caused stability issues in Indesign. Since this update, my indesign has been crashing, unresponsive, and about as bad as AI. This program is my workhorse and I need it to function. Documents take about 5-10 minutes to open, even longer to save, and scrolling in multi-page documents is tough because it lags so hard.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Adding text to "chained" anchored textframes causing complete crash when text is added to one of the first three frames

Indesign 2020, Version 15.0.1, iMac with Mac OS 10.15.1:

We have hundreds of documents created in Indesign 2019 with "chained" anchored textframes, sometimes 4, sometimes 5 frames in a row. Frames are set to automatical height adjust. When text is added to one of the first three frames causing the frame to become higher than before Indesign chrashes completely without warning. Adding text to frame 4 or 5 does NOT create a crash! Same files work perfectly under Indesign 2019. Problem occured with first version of Indesign 2020, and remains after recent update.

Would love to attach an Indesign testfile,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Indesign 2020 Crashing when deleting color swatches

Indesign 2020 has been repeatedly crashing when a color swatch (or multiple swatches) in a document are deleted and replaced with an existing swatch. Indesign crashes the moment "ok" is pressed on the "Delete Swatches" popup.

This has been happening since I updated to InDesign 2020, approximately 10 times in the past week, most, but not every, time that I delete swatches. This has happened in multiple documents, regardless of whether it is a single swatch or group of swatches being deleted.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Problem with Object and Table menu

I'm running the latest version of InDesignCC 2020 v.15.0. Every time I go to the Object or Table menu, InDesign crashes. This happens every time, I had that problem in the previous versions of InDesign, but it is getting really bad now.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Book/Index

Indesign CC 2019 und Indesign CC 2018:
    Absturz beim Generieren des Index bei einem Buch mit vielen Kapiteln.
    Das Buch hat 156 Kapitel (von 1 Seite bis 30 Seiten) - beim Aktualisieren des Index reproduzierbarer Absturz.
    Das Buch hat 822 Seiten.
    Kein Crashreport möglich - der Dialog erscheint nicht (auch nach REG Datei nicht).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. freeze

1. ID version 14.0.3.
    2. I launch ID.
    3. Buttons should normally be clickable
    4. However, ID freezes after appr. 1 second and nothing is remotely clickable. Only way to close the program is by shutting it down via taks manager
    5. ----
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. Indesign crashes with 0xc0000005 executing a script that works with tables

Hi all,

I have a extend script that works with tables. It always works fine executed in Extend Script Toolkit, but when I want to rise it from Adobe Indesign, it always make the aplication to crash with an 0xc0000005 error. Not always crashes at the same line and not always crashes in the same table. Simply a random number of tables in the document are procesed, but always crashes before finish.

Indesign version: CS6 8.0 version (I also have tried with a trial 2019 version and also crashes!!).

We are totally desperated. Please, help!!

Thanks…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. InDesign 2009

InDesign 2019 on Windows7 physical device, Not Responding shortly after program launch. Have tried removing Users Local profile folder incase of a corrupt Cache file. Still not working.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Impossible d'envoyer le "rapport d'incident" à cause du mél

Le rapport d'incident n'est pas envoyé car l'adresse mél qui existe bien n'est pas reconnue. Cf. copie d'écran en PJ.
    Indesign CC 2019, Windows 10.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.2

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the update process.

Adobe InDesign team

11. InDesign Crashing when inserting footnote or carriage return

Running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 and inDesign CC 2019.

I have used InDesign since it replaced PageMaker, and PageMaker for a decade before that. It almost never misbehaves ... so I am grieved to report that I just crashed InDesign three times in a row.

I am editing an existing 20-page, single-column document. The first two times I tried to insert a footnote, InDesign crashed dramatically -- the windows disappeared and the program icon in my Dock no longer showed the dot indicating an open application. The third time I inserted a carriage return and InDesign crashed the same way.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. crashes while exporting with long file names

My InDesign Seems to crash every time I try to export a file to pdf with a filename that is longer than 40 characters. We have to have the file names this long due to our naming conventions.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Drive File Stream causing InDesign to crash

InDesign v 14.0.2

We use Drive File Stream for all of our file storing - which has been working great until last week when opening certain files made InDesign crash repeatedly. I have tried to save as an IDML, download locally and still have the crashing problem.

When I go to open the file it will just freeze the application window, no panels visable and just the spinning Mac ball. Force quit and then reopen InDesign - then it freezes again each time upon reopening, before trying to open any files and I have to force quit again. The second…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Paste & Crash: The New Adobe Game

14.0.2.324 CRASH Every. SIngle. Time. I. Paste text from Word (16.26 Mac). What tha what tha????

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. InDesign buffers every 5 seconds

I am on a new MacBook Pro; every other adobe program runs fine, including After Effects. There shroud be no reason why drawing my second text box InDesign makes it borderline crash. Im working off my internal hard drive and it is happening with every InDesign file. I have the display performance set to fast and I have no other programs opened.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

16. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per discussion over email, the crash is being faced in InCopy CC2014 while working with Smart Connection(external plugin).
    We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InCopy 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.
    _
    Adobe InCopy Team

17. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per discussion over email, the crash is being faced in InCopy CC2014 while working with Smart Connection(external plugin).
    We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InCopy 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.
    _
    Adobe InCopy Team

18. Command W closes all document tabs in order and then crashes InDesign

Using Command W to close a document tab closes all document tabs (in order) before crashing InDesign.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Adding htmlItem then closing document crashes inDesign on Mac

We are developping a plugin for inDesign and while testing a new feature on a Mac we noticed that sometimes InDesign was crashing. We managed to reproduce this bug in a very simple indesign script that make inDesign crash 100% of the time and I'm looking for a way to get around this inDesign bug.

The crash occurs when we programatically add an htmlItem to a pageItem then close the document too quicky, It's only on Mac, doing that on windows works perfectly. The crash error seems to be a memory usage problem on inDesign's side.

Here is the script…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are reviewing it

-InDesign Team

20. storing files on desktop

Not an idea, but a problem...InDesign support is telling me that I need to store my customer's book (a catalog) on my desktop AND all the associated images...that's impossible...there are over 1300 images in this 180 page book.
    ID crashed three consecutive times today trying to open the book to change the dates which appear on the master pages...I'm using the most updated version of creative cloud in a windows 10 environment...
    Any ideas of how to fix this? InDesign seems like a very unstable software to have come from a premier (and premium) software company like Adobe.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base