Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

859 results found

1. InDesign 2022 does not open as the default program if you have more than one version of InDesign installed. I'm on Windows 10.

InDesign 2022 does not open as the default program if you have more than one version of InDesign installed. I'm on Windows 10.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Macbook Pro Notch Cuts Into Fullscreen View

1. InDesign version 17.0.1 on MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)
    2. Previewing a document in Full Screen (Shift + W) and returning to normal view (Shift + W or ESC).
    3. Document should be displayed below the notch, like other full screen applications do. When returning to normal view, the InDesign window should be the same size as before full screen view.
    4. The notch of the new MacBook Pro (2021) cuts into the preview. When returning to non-full screen view, the InDesign window is pushed down / resized so that the status bar is not visible.
    8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. recent files

Recently opened files are not shown on the home page after opening InDesign. The item in menu is also gone, so I cannot access them from the menu anymore. I tried to change the settings in Preferences > File handling, but the option to changed the number of files I would like to see in recent files is greyed out, so I can't change it.

Version: 17.0.1 x64

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Cannot create the link resource from the given URI

On a brand new Mac running OS 12.0.1 (Monterey). Restored from a Time Machine backup and didn't have this issue before. I use Bridge to select and insert images into InDesign picture boxes by selecting the image, right-clicking and selecting "Place" then "In InDesign" and the image has always been properly placed. However, since upgrading to the new OS, when I select and try to place, I get this error:
    "Cannot create the link resource from the given URI." The Mac switches to InDesign, but no image is placed. Workarounds are very cumbersome as I'm often working with lots of…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. De-Stick Alt Key After Zoom

When I press and hold the ALT key (Windows) to zoom with the mouse wheel, it doesn't release the way a sticky key should - once finished with mouse wheel zooming, I have to tap the Alt key a -second- time to release it. Not doing this results in the menu bar becoming active. Example: Press and hold Alt and zoom with the wheel. Finish zooming and release the sticky alt key. Now Tap the letter W to enter Preview mode ... but instead of Preview Mode, InDesign will drop down the --W--indow Menu, tapping W again then drops down…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Data marge help page QR code section needs visual help

I'm not doing QR codes daily, only on some jobs and some trainings. SO I often refer to the right help page.

Where the image field section is precise, and adds visuals of the table itself :

"Add image fields in the data source file
    (…)
    At the beginning of the data field name, type an “at” symbol (@) to insert text or paths that refer to image files.
    The @ symbol is required only in the first line; subsequent lines should include the image paths. Paths, which are case-sensitive, must follow the naming conventions of the operating system in…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. saving documents on a mac pro OS 11.6.1 using the latest Indesign version, the save or export box flashes onscreen then vanishes

Using Indesign 2021, V 16.4 on a mac pro with OS Big Sur, 11.6, when I try to export to PDF or save a document, the save box flashes, flickers onscreen then vanishes before I can save. After many many attempts sometimes I'm able to save or export. Frustrating, and for the cost, Indesign should not be doing this.
    Thanks-

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Save-as – file name not default text field for saving files – 17.0.1

In previous versions, save-as brought up a dialogue where I could start typing or changing the file name right away. Now, I either need to actually click on the file name or press tab three times to get there.

As someone who uses keyboard commands for speed and efficiency, this is annoying. The older version was faster and better. If you could fix this, I'd appreciate it.

On the plus side, you've finally allowed us to use Command-N for a new folder and Command-O to open a file on start-up – which are system-wide Mac standard commands that were somehow…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Dreamweaver and Indesign allocating all available memory

I have an M1 iMac (8gb ram and 256 SSD) no matter how small or big the project I'm working on is, after about 10mins it takes over 90% of all available memory! Although I have adjusted to saving and quitting after every 10mins, I would love for this not to be an issue in the first place.

Details: I open the application to work on school projects. Some projects as small as 1 spread and only text (no images) and some over 10 pages with many images. The bigger projects cap out memory around the same time as the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. InDesign 17.01: UI scaling range issue on high-DPI monitors

PROBLEM:
    Since new UI scaling was invented in ID 17.01 all panels are displayed way too big and overlap in my resolution setup @ 2560x1440px and Windows OS scaling factor of 125%. The range is already at minimum. No work is possible anymore, I have to use ID 16.4 again and exchange via IDML. Please help!

MY SETUP:
    2x EIZO CS2730 27" monitor @ 2560x1440px
    Windows display settings scaling factor: 125 % (needed, otherwise everything in the system is too small e. g. fonts, menus, explorer, browser

Please have a look at the two screenshots showing the InDesign environment at…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Text boxes only showing the line I'm editing and not the entire paragraph

Not an idea. a bug.

Come on guys this is basic stuff - can barely layout info like this.

Text boxes only showing the line I'm editing and not the entire paragraph
    This is constantly happening. I'm on the latest everything. M1 MacBook Pro.

I have to zoom in and zoom out to fix. This is unworkable. Just get the basics right guys... Adobe is impossible for reasons like this. If you can't get the basics right - don't bother developing new features. No wonder Apple think you develop below par software. This is your job to develop software that…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Saving a document

There's a strange problem when I try to save a document in InDesign. It doesn't happen every time but it's reoccuring and quite annoying. When I try to type something in the "save as" field, all the characters change as if Cthulhu has taken over the system. The only way to be able to save is to cancel and try again until it doesn't happen. This problem has only occured in the Adobe Indesign 2021 version.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Display Performance Issues

InDesign 2022 is having issues with Display Performance that results in spinning wheels and instability.

The only way to scroll successfully without locking up is to adjust the Display Performance settings under Preferences. On all previous versions, I have always had my settings to High quality. Now, the only way to be able to use the program without issue is to change the Raster and Vector settings to Proxy instead of High.

I can continue working that way, but the result is that all my graphics are pixelated and grainy, making it near impossible to see what I am working…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Fonts (TTF) work in InDesign 16.4 but not 17.0

InDesign 17.0 on Windows 10 x64

Opened document from InDesign 2021 in InDesign 2022; it was converted as part of that process. All fonts in document highlighted in pink as unavailable. Fonts are all part of Whitney family in TTF format, installed on my local computer. I verified they were still there in the fonts folder.

Used Find/Replace font and there weren't any alerts to say the fonts weren't available, but I tried updating them anyway (including changing to Minion - which worked - and then back again to Whitney, which brought back the highlights).

Could not export to PDF…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Shortcuts register/work without modifier key

You can enter one letter, number, and symbol to keyboard shortcuts for Style Options.
    The characters you typed are not displayed, but starting with InDesign 2020(15), it will act as a shortcut.
    This should be disabled.
    Prior to InDesign 2019(14), registration did not work.
    Common for Mac and Windows version.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Unable to place text in frame over an existing text frame

When making a new frame on top of an existing text frame. It is not possible to make the new frame a text frame. It clicks right through it.
    This has been a bug for many years now, and i have to explain almost every week to my students.

Also in the 2022 version of InDesign.
    I hoped it to be solved. but no..

A little video explain https://vimeo.com/641165029/2b8106b016

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. High CPU usage 2022 17.0 x64

17.0 x64
    Horrible consumption! This status is without opening any file in indd.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. pinwheel

InDesign versions 15.1.4, 16.4, and 17.0
    Mac, system Big Sur 11.6.1

There are no steps or expected results other than stability and quick performance.

No matter what I am doing—working with text or images, scrolling, working in menus, etc.—I am experiencing the rainbow pinwheel and delays of 30 seconds to a few minutes while the application is hung up. This is happening every couple minutes. Work that should take 15 minutes is taking 30 or more.

I've tried disabling the preflight, changed the display performance to typical, allowed greeking, etc., but nothing has helped. I first experienced this in version…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Memory issues

I began putting the current prerelease build (release candidate for InDesign 2022) through its paces on Monday. For the first time in the almost full year since I have been using this M1 MacBook Pro, the fan came roaring on, and all memory was depleted. When I started force quitting applications and consulted Activity Monitor, InDesign showed stratospheric memory use.

This doesn't happen all the time, but it seemed to degrade performance over time.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base