Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

484 results found

1. I'm using Windows with InDesign cc 2018, but I can't seem to export a single page from a multipage document.

I know I can export separate pdf files, but I don't want 90 separate pages, I should be able to simply select one page and export it, with the printer's marks. I also tried to print to pdf using the print settings, but was unable to create a pdf file with the printer's marks and bleed, even though these were selected in the dialogue box.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. InDesign produces 'failed to open the pdf file' error when importing pdf with dotted lines

Using InDesign v13.1 on a MacBook Air (12 inch, 2017) running iOS 10.13, importing a .pdf generated using attached MS Powerpoint file LA02examplerunFigure.pptx resulted in 'failed to open the pdf file' error if the lines added to the graphic are dotted lines as shown (see attachment). Changing these lines to solid lines before exporting to .pdf solved this (see 'LA02examplerunFigure(noDotted).pptx). Upon experimentation, addition of any dotted line to the graphic in Powerpoint results in this error when the file is exported to a .pdf and imported to InDesign.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. inDesign Form Fields are Hidden in Acrobat after Export

I created two form fields in inDesign using the Buttons and Forms panel. When I export my pdf (interactive), I cannot see the form fields. Interestingly enough, when I click "Prepare Form" in Acrobat, the form fields appear, and without doing anything, I can save the pdf and the form fields will continue to work as expected. Obviously this is much more time-consuming than if the fields were just visible by default.

My document is very simple: 1 page, a couple lines, minimal text, some hyperlinks (which all function correctly), and the two form fields.

I believe it has something…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The way you have described the issue you are facing is pretty simple and straight-forward. You don’t need to toggle any specific setting to specify Form Fields in InDesign or view them in Acrobat. The Form Fields are visible with a light-bluish background in Acrobat. Wonder what could be causing the issue to happen for you.
    Even though there doesn’t appear to be anything special in the document you are creating, could you share the same so that it can be looked at for troubleshooting?

Adobe InDesign team

4. Doesn't let me save in RGB

InDesign CC2018

I'm trying to save a PDF in RGB, but when you are in the output section to change from CMYK to RGB, it doesn't let me, it automatically changes to CMYK.

Even if I start the file in Web version since the beginning.

I tried with new files and it still doesn't let me.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. When i go into File- Export, only the bottom half of the Export Adobe PDF pop up is showing up on my screen.

THe PDF export window is not showing up in its entirely on my screen. The top half is missing so I cannot change and of my settings and I cannot grab the top of the pop up to move it down the page. So I cannot submit any pages to my printer since it's not set on the printer's settings. How can I move this pop up down on my screen?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Hyperlinks and Email addresses not working when exporting interactive PDF from InDesign CC 13.0 x64 on windows platform.

My department is tasked with creating 508 accessible documents. In 2017 version of InDesign, we did not have any issues exporting documents containing hyperlinks or email addresses. Now when I run the accessibility report, every one of them fail. We absolutely need to find a fix for this so that we can meet our client needs.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Export Icon

the icon while exporting PDFs has an animation next to the "arrange documents" icon at the top. this is minor but the last two frames of the saving animation are switched around. i dont know how to explain it so i guess you should just try saving a big PDF yourself and paying attention to the bar. again really minor but for a product meant for design, it feels like it could have been seen beforehand

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Through the single page PDF created from facing the text is displayed

Through the PDF size under specified conditions, will display the text. Print out also confirmed.
    Please see the link below.
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2483538

Translations by Microsoft® Translator

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Data Merge - Can't preview without errors

The apparently long-running Data Merge previewing error!
    Occasionally previewing a data merge will permanently ruin exports. The only solution is to create a new document. Happened to me on almost every project I tried - wasted hours and hours.
    See this thread and video for more information:
    https://forums.adobe.com/message/10337647#10337647

(Also colons in csv titles makes file unusable??)

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. URLs breaking when used inside a table

I have a InDesign doc that has several columns (name, address, website link, etc). When converting to pdf the urls break. The urls are too long for the column so they wrap onto 2-3 lines. When I copy the url and paste it outside the table and extend the text box so the url is on one line then it works as should be.

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server: InDesign CC v9.2 x64
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Table cells tagged as form fields do not get tagged when using the Articles panel in an accessible PDF file.

If you convert a table cell to a graphic cell and then make it an interactive form field, if you use the Articles panel to control the order, the form fields do not get tagged.

1.) Create a table
    2.) Select a cell and choose Table > Convert to Graphic Cell
    3.) Open the articles panel and drag the frame containing the table to the Articles panel to create a new article.
    4.) Enable "Use for Reading order in tagged PDF" from the Articles panel menu.
    5.) Export to interactive PDF with tags enabled.

Result: If you open the PDF…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Rollover images "stick" in Interactive PDF

Hi, I am working on the document that contains multiple rollovers. All of them "stick" at one point or another, the images will change to "rollover" state but not to the normal state when hovering off. This is very confusing for the end-users. Please see attached pdf. I am using InDesign CC 2018.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you all for reporting the issue to us.
    We have concluded our investigation into the issue. As per our findings, the bug belongs to Acrobat and there is little that can be done at InDesign’s end.

We have already notified the concerned team, internally and they would be working on the same.

For now we are closing this thread for InDesign.

-InDesign Team

13. When pasting or exporting, the Preview Panel will not resize, expands to the entire window

When exporting or pasting in Indesign 2018, the preview panel will not resize.
    It expands to the entire window which there is no minimize button on top, only the cancel button. I have resize arrows but will not resize.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. [BUG] PDF size is to high using the export feature

With this post I would like to report an issue regarding the export feature of Adobe Indesign. When exporting a PDF-file from Indesign, the PDF file size is unnecessary to high and the document contains a lot of overhead. After the same pdf-file is resaved using the default Os X preview application, the overhead is removed and the file size is correct. Please fix this issue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Accessible PDF Exported from ID contains SPANS in Reading Order panel

InDesign Version: 13.1

To reproduce issue, create an InDesign document with some styles, map styles to tags and export to PDF with tags (accessible pdf).

Expected result is that in the Reading Order panel (and Content pane), each paragraph is wrapped in an appropriate container.

The actual result is that each line of text within a paragraph is wrapped in a span container.

Although this doesn't seem to directly affect the accessibility of the file, it makes additional remediation difficult because of the many containers found in the PDF file.

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,
    We acknowledge that the issue is slowing you down and we regret the same.
    Our investigation suggests that the issue lies in the latest update of Acrobat and there is little that can be done at our end to resolve the issue.
    The problem has been communicated to the relevant team.
    In the meanwhile we are closing this thread for InDesign.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

16. Indesign will not tag endnotes to XML

When Adding untagged items to the Structure, Indesign promptly states that Endnotes are not supported for XML tagging. I use XML tagging process for creating reliable Accessible WCAG compliant PDFs, and other export requirements. Please make Endnotes USEFUL - 1. keep in same story (not an additional frame) and make tagging process available.
    OR... a way to convert endnotes to linked cross references - even in tables!
    Tables if Indesign worst thought when it comes to footnotes and endnotes.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Data Merge to PDF (using the new single page export feature) does not work properly

Using the packaged folder attached, go to the Data Merge panel and select Export to PDF. Click OK on the first dialog box and in the second dialog box, make sure the "Create Separate PDF files" checkbox is checked.
    Expected result - 6 PDFs that have correct content in each PDF.
    Actual result - 6 PDFs that have incorrect content. PDF 1 is fine, but PDFs 2-6 are the same content as PDF 2.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Wrong characters exported to PDF.

My InDesign-Document uses 1 font only. After exporting a PDF, some character-combinations are replaced by a special character (see Screenshot). After closing and re-opening the document, the error doesn't appear again and the PDF file is exported normally.

InDesign Mac CC 2018 (13.0.1)
    OS X Sierra 12.12.5
    Monotype Fontexplorer 6.0.3

Thank you all!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Alternate text added to graphic missing in exported PDF when using Articles panel.

1.) Apply alternate text to graphic using Object > Object Export Options.

2.) Anchor graphic into frame

3.) Add containing text frame to Articles panel.

4.) Export to PDF including tags

The result is that the exported PDF file doesn't have the alternate text applied

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Issue is now fixed and is part of InDesign’s latest update, Id 13.1
    Please update your InDesign for the resolution of the issue.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik

20. Hyperlinks broken over two lines exports incorrectly to PDF

Using InDesign CC 13.0.1, I have some urls in a paragraph that are fairly long so have to break over two lines, e.g.

www.websiteaddress.com/subpage/
    pagename

When I export to pdf, the link will just link to www.websiteaddress.com/subpage/ and the bit with "pagename" is ignored.

I found similar problems posted online from a few years back and the workaround was to set your hyperlinks using the hyperlinks palette, not just rely on the pdf to detect the links automatically. I've done this manually to my document, but the problem persists. I can get the full link to work behind the first…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base