Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

483 results found

1. Using text variables causes highlighting text in PDF to be inconsistent/scrumbled

When exporting to PDF from a file including text variables, it results in text in pdf that it is impossible to highlight correctly. and therefore - it is impossible to mark PDF comments on it. Screenshot and PDF files are attached.
    It only happened with ARIAL font, and only in certain book files (that were created in previous ID version). I couldn't recreate the bug in another file.
    When I removed the text variables the PDF was exported fine.
    I also had another kind of conditional text I made in these files - it was a sentence written inside the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. PDF Export do not provide the option that people have to use braille devices can read it :(

The Option to create a document for People who use a braille device is vanished. Huge Issue as the information letter is also beeing read from blind people (school with blind childs and teachers in vienna). The provides me with the update that they cant read it any more. Issue starts with InDesign CC 14.0.1 PC Version.
    Please advice of fix this.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Using text variables causes highlighting text in PDF to be inconsistent/scrumbled

When exporting to PDF from a file including text variables, it results in text in pdf that it is impossible to highlight correctly. and therefore - it is impossible to mark PDF comments on it. Screenshot and PDF files are attached.
    It only happened with ARIAL font, and only in certain book files (that were created in previous ID version). I couldn't recreate the bug in another file.
    When I removed the text variables the PDF was exported fine.
    I also had another kind of conditional text I made in these files - it was a sentence written inside the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Profiles conversion doesn't work anymore with InDesign export PDF

Hello,
    Sorry for my approximative english.
    It's no longer possible to do high-res PDF export from InDesign because it doesn't convert color profiles correctly (it seems InDesign consider there is no profil on imported documents). Same conversions works fine on Photoshop.
    We use InDesign CC 14.0.1 and joboptions we made (PDF/X-1a:2001 - Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3) - convert to destination : ISO Coated V2) with Bridge coordination.
    We're a big french comic books publisher and it's a very important problem for our workflow.
    It's like a bug, I try some things I found on forums, but nothing works (delete all…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. PDF Hyphenation Bug when line has cross-reference, hyphenated word, and option is to create Tagged PDF

When exporting an InDesign document to PDF, the hyphenated word is displayed incorrectly in the output PDF.

It only happens with a line that has cross-reference object, hyphenated word, and option is to create Tagged PDF.

InDesign 2019 (14.0.1) (MAC/PC) . Also tried it with previous versions and it has the same issue.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Tabs in Arabic text move weight declaration to the wrong place

When placing an Arabic weight statement (e.g. "13g") followed by a tab and a percentage (e.g. "19%"), the weight declaration ("g" or "mg") moves to the percentage when exporting to pdf. Only when setting PDFX/1a:2001 is selected the output is correct. But this setting removes all layers and flattens transparencies so it's not very useful.
    A workaround is to place a space after the tab (so on the left side since this is a right to left language).
    See screen shot in attachment. On top = InDesign file, bottom = pdf created from this file using PDFX/4. The top line…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Tabs in Arabic text move weight declaration to the wrong place

When placing an Arabic weight statement (e.g. "13g") followed by a tab and a percentage (e.g. "19%"), the weight declaration ("g" or "mg") moves to the percentage when exporting to pdf. Only when setting PDFX/1a:2001 is selected the output is correct. But this setting removes all layers and flattens transparencies so it's not very useful.
    A workaround is to place a space after the tab (so on the left side since this is a right to left language).
    See screen shot in attachment. On top = InDesign file, bottom = pdf created from this file using PDFX/4. The top line…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Bug - Crop image data exceeding frame

Objects outside of the frame are still showing as hidden objects in a PDF. During export I made sure the Crop image data exceeding frame box was checked. However objects are still seen as ghost text.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Export defaults are not sticky anymore after update

When you hit Ctrl+E it used to use the last [pdf] export profile that had been used, but now it's always 'Adobe (Interactive) PDF' now. Might sound like a minor issue, but when you have to go through lots of pages one by one it just a massive waste of time going each time through File-Adobe PDF Presets-Needed One (using mouse).

Can't see where it can be backed? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Henry

p.s. Thought it could be resolved through Keyboard shortcut, but apparently you can't make it for a specific preset, and Ctrl+E [as mentioned] is not "sticky" anymore

Raised…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Export options locked

Hi., When customising the Workspace [ i.e. colouring menus and adding Panels to the Panel Dock ] on an Apple Mac, and then subsequently using File->Export, the Drop down list of Export formats are locked out [ i.e. I cannot go from PDF Print to any other format ]. To resolve I have to go back to one of the default Workspaces such as Essentials etc, and then the Dropdown can be accessed. This happens in all recent releases of InDesign including 2019. I imagine the root cause of the fault is more the colouring of the menus rather than…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Link metadata not exporting in large document

InDesign 14.0.1 x64

I have an 1100 page document that is primarily legal code and guidance, with several hundred cross-references to text anchors. The idea being that you can jump around easily in the document to get info on referenced code information.

When I export to an interactive PDF, not all of the links work. I'm not able to predict which links will and won't work before export, but once exported those links will.not.work. When I check the PDF link info, the correct link information is there, it simply doesn't work. I can edit the link by manually selecting it…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. InDesign exporting wrong PDF size

Jan. 18, 2019

My document settings in InDesign are 3.66x8.5.
    When I export to any type of PDF it shows as being 4x9
    No bleed, no slug. I know sometimes the numbers are rounded up when you look at the size on a PDF but this is odd.

When I do a test with a document size of 3x8 I'm still getting a 4x9.
    Why?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. PDF Export causes Acrobat to crash

I am having trouble exporting InDesign files to PDF.

This is what I'm seeing:
    Exporting PDFs from InDesign works fine if no PDF is open. If you have a PDF already open or are exporting a 2nd PDF with the first still open it crashes Adobe.

I have updated Windows to a later version, checked drivers, the event viewer logs. I looked for similar issues online, repaired Acrobat from Control panel and from within the app.

Please share any advice.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Please let us know if it the InDesign application crashing or Acrobat?
    If it is Acrobat, please post it here: acrobat.uservoice.com

Thanks,
    Aman

14. cc 2019 Book (.indb) Export to uncompressed PDF creating low-res PDFs

Twice this week, I've had a problem using Books (.indb) with cc 2019. When exporting with no compression, 300 dpi images are compressing down to 33 dpi.

The only solution I've found is going back to cc 2018.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. InDesign CC2019 - faux bold text issue when exporting pdf.

Only the pages with text+jpg are exported properly.
    The pages with any other image type with some transparency, i.e. psd, ai, even png, have bold text after exporting to pdf.

It's an old issue, coming back every now and then in many InDesign editions in the past. So we all should know how to deal with it, shouldn't we? Well, here is the rub. The trick with the text placed on a separate layer on the top doesn't work anymore. Nothing works, actually. It's a major bug. A reason to downgrade to the last correct version. I needed to export…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. A few of pages are generated as the empty page in the exported PDF file from time to time

When I try to generate my INDD file to PDF via the Export to PDF function of InDesign, a few of pages are generated as the empty page.

. This happens from time to time (not always), even though I perform it with same file. (For example, if I retry to generate the PDF file without any amendment in the INDD file, this problem is fixed.)
    . Here, "empty page" means that all object is not shown on those pages - doesn't mean that the objects moves to the next pages.
    . I am using 11.4.1.102 x64 build with Windows…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Text Form Fields do not export with inDesign CC 2018 14.0

Form Fields do not export at all in the PDF when exported in the current version of inDesign. I am using the same exact settings as I did before I updated, and links DO work. Form fields just do not appear.

To recreate:
    1) Make boxes where fields are required (in this case, on its own layer, which is visible and active)
    2) Using the Buttons and Forms panel, convert them to text boxes
    3) Export to PDF, making sure that the boxes for exporting interactive elements are checked, and the dropdown says to include appearance

Resulting PDF does not…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. EXPORT OPTIONS GREYED OUT

HI
    when trying to export from the recent indesign the options that i normally use are greyed out. see attached sceenshot, i have tried this on another computer and all seems fine, both are running mojave and indesign 2019

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. white overprint with placed INDD

I stumbled across a strange phenomenon today. I have an INDD file (file 1), which is placed as such in another INDD file (file 2). In this file 1 there is a Swiss cross, which is placed as EPS. If this placed file 1 is exported as PDFX-4, everything looks correct. However, if the file 2 with the placed file 1 is exported as PDFX-4, something strange happens. The Swiss cross disappears in the PDF or the white is set to overprint. However, this is neither stored in file 1 nor in the EPS.

I have the following
    Option 1:…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Data Merge not populating fields CC2019

I use Data Merge for variable data production every day. I am using IDCC2019 v14.0.1. iMac 27 inch late 2013. OS High Sierra 10.13.6. Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5. 16 GB memory.

This problem started with IDCC2019. I link to .csv for data merge. When exporting to PDF, I choose a record range – for example 1-1000. In the PDF result, the first page is not the first record. It is a random record in the middle – for example, 319. It merges records 319-1000. Then the remaining pages of the 1000 page output are not populated – in the…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base