Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

484 results found

1. Data Merge not populating fields CC2019

I use Data Merge for variable data production every day. I am using IDCC2019 v14.0.1. iMac 27 inch late 2013. OS High Sierra 10.13.6. Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5. 16 GB memory.

This problem started with IDCC2019. I link to .csv for data merge. When exporting to PDF, I choose a record range – for example 1-1000. In the PDF result, the first page is not the first record. It is a random record in the middle – for example, 319. It merges records 319-1000. Then the remaining pages of the 1000 page output are not populated – in the…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

2. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. InDesign 2019 Begins failing to export PDFs after short period of operating

InDesign 2019 | Mac OS Mojave

After a short period of time InDesign Fails anytime I try to export a PDF. I get the Error notification and just a Failed to export message. Restarting InDesign does not fix this, however if I restart my entire machine (enormous, frustrating pain in my workflow) it resume saving PDFs for a short period of time and them begin failing again until the next restart.

No other Software is having this issue, Adobe or otherwise.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. When exporting a PDF to Adobe Indesign CC 14.0 (German), you can not enter individual pages in the area. The name "Custom" remains in the fi

Version: Adobe Indesign CC 14.0 (German)
    Export -> Benutzerdefinierte Seiten
    you can not enter individual pages in the area. The name "Benutzerdefinierte Seiten" remains in the field.

Result: a complete pdf with all pages

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The export specific pages of a document to PDF, you have to enter them after selecting the ‘Range’ option.

As for the name shown in the field when you select the ‘Create Separate PDF Files’ option, it is just for display, letting you know how the individual pdf files get named upon export.

Adobe InDesign team

5. Gradient background missing when export as PDF

I just updated to the 2019 version of Adobe InDesign and was sent a file that was created with the same version. Some of the background was made using a gradient and disappears (becomes white) when I export to PDF. My colleague is able export and retain the gradient no problem, so it seems like it is a bug or setting that got changed. My InDesign expert colleagues tried basic troubleshooting and couldn't find the answer, so it doesn't seem to be obvious. Any ideas? Thanks!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Unable to export to pdf

Hi there, I am unable to package some of the InDesign files I am working on at the moment. It shows the error messages attached. Initially, it showed a conversion error however now this no longer shows and it just refuses to allow me to export to pdf and therefore package the document. I have no idea how to fix the issue as it doesn't give any indication at to why it isn't working which is super frustrating.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. exporting a book to PDF (dialogue box

When exporting a book to PDF from Indesign CC2019 on Mac OSX Mojave, the export pdf dialogue box ("Generating PDF") displays (showing progress / page count) but it can't be hidden (or covered over) by switching to another app or browser window like it used to. Eg if it was z layers in CSS, it is always sitting on top and getting in the way of multi-tasking whilst exporting the book file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. InDesign CC 2019 - font error issues with PDFs

When latest InDesign CC 2019 creates a PDF using certain fonts, an error message appears when opening PDF in Acrobat Pro DC: "Cannot extract the embedded font 'JLUSWO+fontname'. Some characters may not display or print correctly."

Never had this issue with previous InDesign versions. The same PDF opens, views and prints perfectly in Preview. Creating PDFs by other applications with the same font are fine.

HELP!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

9. booklet

Hi there, I have a problem too with my exported PDF out of PS when printing a booklet. No matter what settings I run the PDF will come out in portrait aspect ratio and not in landscape when I print as DEVICE INDEPENDENT. Mine is a booklet half Letter, classic 2 staples in the fold (5 pages front & back, 4cl.). I can print it 8.5''x11'' but not with bleed and crop marks. Any idea why, please? Thank you! (This problem was not in 2018 version).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Adobe PDF (Interactive)

Error when exporting to Adobe PDF (Interactive)
    Indesign v14.0
    Mac OS x 10.13.6
    Choose File > Export > Format select: Adobe PDF (Interactive) > click 'Save' > Click 'Export' > Error appears above 'Generating PDF' modal window.

Error reads: "Failed to Export the PDF file." no code or explanation. See screenshot

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Resolved For User  ·  amaarora responded

Issue as described in the thread is not faced by the user. Therefore, closing the issue

11. Interactive PDF fields won’t allow me to enter any text into them when reported from Indd.

Mac OS 10.13.6 | Indesign CC 13.1 | Acrobat Pro DC 2018.011.20063

When I create a file in InDesign with text fields for an interactive PDF and export it as interactive PDF I get a PDF with blank fields and the fields won’t allow me to enter any text into them.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. InDesign opens destination folder when exporting.

My InDesign opens the destination folder when exporting PDF-files. In my work I export files daily and I have to export them separately. So when I do this, after the export has completed successfully, the destination folder opens up automatically, which is very annoying. I can't seem to find any place, where I can turn this off. I can only turn it ON, if I don't export separately.

1. brand new update CC 2019
    2. Create a document with more than 2 pages. Export all the pages separately.
    3. That it exports the pages separately into the destination folder without having the need…
    8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue. We will look into this

-Aman

13. PDF Export

InDesign CC2019 / PDF Export Print (Druck)
    It is no longer possible to export correctly to PDF x3 or x4; and it is no longer possible to change the export settings of colour profiles (for example to FOGRA 39 or ISO Coated etc…)

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. PDf

I have updated to OSX 10.14 and now my InDesign freezes when I export a PDF. iMac specs attached. I have to force quit the application each time. The strange thing is that even though the app has frozen and the background task shows the PDF as partially complete it seems the PDF is actually being fully created.

Running InDesign 13.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

15. [CS6-CC2018][MAJOR BUG] Images upscaled in flattened PDF-files when placed over gradient

Hi,

With this post I would like to report a major bug in Indesign.

The problem occurs in these conditions:
    - A gradient background
    - On top of the background product images containing clipping masks / transparency. The images have insufficiënt resolution (105ppi).

When creating a flattened PDF-file (1.3) using the default PDF export feature, and valid high resolution export presets, all images which have a resolution higher then 75ppi, are upscaled in the final PDF-file. Images which are 105 ppi, are suddenly 300ppi in the final PDF-file. Images which an effection resolution of 75 ppi, remain 75 ppi.

After…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Font outlined when exporting to pdf

When I export to pdf and open the document in Acrobat, I have no issues with fonts. But, if I want to open the file in Illustrator (we have a special procedure to add the pdf file to one drawing in iIllustrator), I get this alert: To preserve appearance, some text has been outlined. When I checked the Background tasks in InDesign, it gives me the following alert - image attached.
    We have the copyrights on fonts. Glyphs are mentioned in the alert, but not all of them are outlined. Using CC 2018 13.1

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Data Merge is not working as expected on Windows 10 - but fine on Mac Book Pro

Data merge is not working as it was previously or as described in Help for Windows 10 - it works fine on Mac Book Pro - High Sierra... see attached images... on Windows it creates individual pages for each mail label instead of multiple instances of the text field on the same page... please repair... I have used this feature many times in the past - it is not working as expected.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Adobe Indesign CC 2018: Export to pdf does not maintain Indesign file layers structure

Creating interactive pdf in InDesign may require controls to be placed in a strict vertical sequence.

Exporting to interactive pdf from InDesign re-orders the layers and elements within those layers. This may break the functionality of the original structure as some buttons which control the appearance of others may no longer be accessible. The structure then has to be modified in Adobe Acrobat which is time consuming and awkward to do.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. data merge to PDF: page numbers (generated with current page number marker) don't increase

To recreate this bug:
    1) Make a new print document 8 pages long (doesn't matter if pages are facing or not) A4 or letter size (this doesn't matter either)
    2) Go to the master page and somewhere on the master page, add a new text frame and within that frame, add an auto page number.
    3) In a text editor, create the following file for test purposes and save it with the name "test.txt" - (cut and paste the next five lines of text):
    name
    Colin
    David
    Jose
    Max
    4) Return to InDesign, go to the data merge palette and…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Licensing restriction in the Font issue, while using a FREE FONT

Cannot export a PDF file while using a handwriting Font from many sources, even though they are Licence free.

Here is the font Im trying (https://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/de_DE.CMS.displayCMS.209793./schriften) after off course talked to the company asking for this issue. They confirm the font is free to use.

Secondly I tryied differente font source and the problem remains.

Any idea?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?