Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

485 results found

1. InDesign CC 2019 - font error issues with PDFs

When latest InDesign CC 2019 creates a PDF using certain fonts, an error message appears when opening PDF in Acrobat Pro DC: "Cannot extract the embedded font 'JLUSWO+fontname'. Some characters may not display or print correctly."

Never had this issue with previous InDesign versions. The same PDF opens, views and prints perfectly in Preview. Creating PDFs by other applications with the same font are fine.

HELP!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Unable to export to pdf

Hi there, I am unable to package some of the InDesign files I am working on at the moment. It shows the error messages attached. Initially, it showed a conversion error however now this no longer shows and it just refuses to allow me to export to pdf and therefore package the document. I have no idea how to fix the issue as it doesn't give any indication at to why it isn't working which is super frustrating.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. InDesign 2019 PDF

InDesign 2019 is changing PDF colours completely. Background is orange but on the PDF it's teal. Only PDFX1-a fixed the problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Indesign 14.0.1 pixellated output in export to PDF

Indesign 14.0.1
    Export to PDF using press quality job option does not produce high quality images the way the previous version used to do and all ends up pixellated at screen resolution only. The only way I know of producing press ready files is now to "package book for print", in which case, if you select your usual press ready PDF option, the conversion definitely works.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. InDesign opens destination folder when exporting.

My InDesign opens the destination folder when exporting PDF-files. In my work I export files daily and I have to export them separately. So when I do this, after the export has completed successfully, the destination folder opens up automatically, which is very annoying. I can't seem to find any place, where I can turn this off. I can only turn it ON, if I don't export separately.

1. brand new update CC 2019
    2. Create a document with more than 2 pages. Export all the pages separately.
    3. That it exports the pages separately into the destination folder without having the need…
    8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue. We will look into this

-Aman

6. use file name

Last week when I exported to PDF a tick box was available to use the file name.
    This week I don't have that option - (and INDD is newly updated.)
    a) the option was useful
    b) is this a local problem or was it removed on purpose?

running under win7
    thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. table header image not showing PDF

https://indd.adobe.com/view/029f4fe9-1108-4554-ba34-c8e4c510750c
    Use the link to see the document all correct however when exporting to PDF the images in the header for pages 2 & 3 disappear. You can test this using the link or by using the attached file. Both get the same result. But looks perfect in inDesign.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. The most unhelpful error mistake ever made - 1 problem (1 failute) was found with background task:

What I should do with this error? When I save each page separately the pdf export works fine)

Please give more specific error warnings! Thanks

1 problem (1 failute) was found with background task:

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. InDesign 2019 Begins failing to export PDFs after short period of operating

InDesign 2019 | Mac OS Mojave

After a short period of time InDesign Fails anytime I try to export a PDF. I get the Error notification and just a Failed to export message. Restarting InDesign does not fix this, however if I restart my entire machine (enormous, frustrating pain in my workflow) it resume saving PDFs for a short period of time and them begin failing again until the next restart.

No other Software is having this issue, Adobe or otherwise.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Saved PDF export profiles change their settings without warning

I have saved pdf profiles that arbitrarily change some of their settings without warning. Specifically, the profile inclusion policy changes from "include all RGB and tagged source profiles" to "include all profiles", and marks change from only crops and bleeds being checked, to also include page information. I go back and edit the profile to fix them back the way I need them, then some time down the road they change again. This happens on all of our workstations, and has been happening for years. If we don't catch it when these arbitrarily change, it can cause major color and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Saved PDF export profiles change their settings without warning

I have saved pdf profiles that arbitrarily change some of their settings without warning. Specifically, the profile inclusion policy changes from "include all RGB and tagged source profiles" to "include all profiles", and marks change from only crops and bleeds being checked, to also include page information. I go back and edit the profile to fix them back the way I need them, then some time down the road they change again. This happens on all of our workstations, and has been happening for years. If we don't catch it when these arbitrarily change, it can cause major color and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Effects appearing in wrong place when exported to PDF

My Case Number: ADB-6422050-V1R6

I've been exporting a document which uses the bevel/emboss effect. Part of the element is outside of the frame of the document. The effect on the part of the element outside the frame is being moved into the frame when I export it into a PDF. In the screenshot, you will see that in InDesign, the yellow pad is completely yellow on the left inside the frame of the document, but the edge of the image outside the frame is white; when you view in preview mode you don't see the white. However, in the screenshot…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Pdf export Doc- Blank Pages NO printing of png. Images - Latest InDesign Version

Hi
    I believe I am not the first one to experience this terrible frustration, not being able to get a clean Pdf export doc that I send to print. One blank page is coming out of the printer instead of the one with the pics. I use Mojave 10.14.3 and the latest InDesign version. I also unchecked the PrefLight box.
    Anyone can help to sort out that issue?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. In exported PDF, Hyperlinks jump to wrong page when their Text Anchor destination has moved to a different page due to reflow

Hi

In my InDesign file I have a Contents page with 10 hyperlinks to the first page of my 10 chapters. I created Text Anchor Hyperlink destinations on all 10 target pages, and then created Hyperlinks to them from the Contents page.

The document is 180 pages long and uses a Primary Text Frame, and all the text anchors are contained within the main text flow.

In 9 of these cases, clicking the hyperlinks in the exported PDF jumps to the correct page, but in one of them, clicking jumps to the NEXT page following the text anchor.

However, if…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. PDF Export causes Acrobat to crash

I am having trouble exporting InDesign files to PDF.

This is what I'm seeing:
    Exporting PDFs from InDesign works fine if no PDF is open. If you have a PDF already open or are exporting a 2nd PDF with the first still open it crashes Adobe.

I have updated Windows to a later version, checked drivers, the event viewer logs. I looked for similar issues online, repaired Acrobat from Control panel and from within the app.

Please share any advice.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Please let us know if it the InDesign application crashing or Acrobat?
    If it is Acrobat, please post it here: acrobat.uservoice.com

Thanks,
    Aman

16. Generic check mark reappears in PDF check box after exporting to Acrobat Pro

InDesign 14.0.2 and Acrobat Continuous 2019.10.20099

This issue is about the behavior and appearance of interactive check boxes in documents that have been exported to Interactive PDFs.

There is a difference in the way that check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear versus those created in Acrobat Pro. The Acrobat Pro Forms preferences are involved in this difference.

When, in Acrobat Pro Forms Preferences, under Highlight Color, the “Show border hover color for fields” option is selected, check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear in the following manner.

When a check box is made active, it first appears…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Generic check mark reappears in PDF check box after exporting to Acrobat Pro

This issue is about the behavior and appearance of interactive check boxes in documents that have been exported to Interactive PDFs.

There is a difference in the way that check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear versus those created in Acrobat Pro. The Acrobat Pro Forms preferences are involved in this difference.

When, in Acrobat Pro Forms Preferences, under Highlight Color, the “Show border hover color for fields” option is selected, check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear in the following manner.

When a check box is made active, it first appears…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Generic check mark reappears in PDF check box after exporting to Acrobat Pro

Generic check mark reappears in PDF check box after exporting to Acrobat Pro

When, in Acrobat Pro Forms Preferences, under Highlight Color, the “Show border hover color for fields” option is selected, check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear in…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. PDF fails to export InDesign 14.0.1 - Still an issue

So many bugs in InDesign!!!

1) Export to PDF (any settings) works once after starting InDesign. Then fails on any attempt to re-export. Which ever preset I use - error. Nothing special about the file - nothing!

2) Also, and I know it's not about PDF, Keyboard shortcut to start a New Document does not work on startup. I have to click on file menu and open the sub menu item New – then the shortcut works :| No error – nothing! It just does not respond to shortcuts.

BTW: Posting this by clicking "Post idea" does not mean that…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. InDesign CC2019 - faux bold text issue when exporting pdf.

Only the pages with text+jpg are exported properly.
    The pages with any other image type with some transparency, i.e. psd, ai, even png, have bold text after exporting to pdf.

It's an old issue, coming back every now and then in many InDesign editions in the past. So we all should know how to deal with it, shouldn't we? Well, here is the rub. The trick with the text placed on a separate layer on the top doesn't work anymore. Nothing works, actually. It's a major bug. A reason to downgrade to the last correct version. I needed to export…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base