Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Recent Fonts List Modification

Currently, if you have Number of Recent Fonts to Display set to anything but zero (0), recent fonts appear at the font drop down list, but the drop down starts at the top of the fonts list no matter what your current font is.

If I am just wanting the next or previous font in the list from the font I am currently using, I now have to scroll all the way down to that font. When the Number of Recent Fonts to Display is set to zero (0), when the drop down is selected, it is positioned at the…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Center Fold Lines in Column Gutters

It would be nice in InDesign and across all other layout and design programs to be allowed the option (button) to display an nonprinting center fold line when setting gutter spacing on a layout with two or more columns.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Track changes for anchored stories automatically

When you turn on Track Changes for a story, you have to remember to also click inside any/all anchored stories and turn on Track Changes individually for them as well. I think it's a given that when you're tracking changes to a story, you want to track changes to all "child" stories as well. This should happen by default.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Skew tool

Please could we have a skew tool like Ps and Ai?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Obsessive Compulsive Feature - Text averaging for scaled text boxes

When scaling a text box and contents the final type size ends up with sizes with super detailed decimal places; e.g 12.345pt

arrrrgh!!

Don't you realise that many designers are OCD inclined? Whole size text numbers help us feel good. Please don't ask why.

Suggest a scaling preference that allows users to round-off scaled text to nearest desired text increment, e.g nearest whole number or No of decimal places.

:-)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Apply controlable gradients within table rows, coloums and cells.

Is it possible to have easily adjustable gradient fills in rows, coloums and cells within Indesign tables?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Scheduled Export & Scheduled Export Queue

Sometimes with larger documents, Exporting can slow down Indesign, or can even render my computer useless at this time.

It would be a great option to be able to schedule the Export option for a time of my choice (at night when I know I wont be using my computer for example) as to not slow the computer down when I need to use it most. I envision the file still needing to be left open in Indesign for it to schedule and export correctly... But what I imagine is you would still choose all your options and everything as…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. I'd like a feature like the Format Painter in MS Word.

I inherited a ton of files from someone who apparently did not like to set up styles. If an edit comes in, and, for example, I have to add a new subhead, I have to go back and look at all the formatting of the subheads to create a new one, then make all those same choices, since there's no style sheet created. Would be great to just click on one of the existing subheads, click on a format painter icon, and click on the new type for the new type to take on the format of the existing type.…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Open failed (.inlk): Dialog "Open As Copy?"

Ever "browsed" thru a fileserver to doubleclick the document from Finder/Explorer?
    Bad for you, if that file is in use by someone else, because:
    Now you can redo the browsing within InDesign, just to access the "open as copy" within the file-open-dialog.

What if the "No access, maybe locked."-warning can be a dialog like this: "No access, maybe locked. Try to open as Copy?"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make layercompositions targetable with scripting

I want to change my applied alpha-mask (psd/tif).

What I have to do is browse to the image, reimport it (with import options true), just to select another alpha mask.

While scripting this, I found out, that the DOM is missing the layercomps. If a layercomp was set in InDesign away from default, re-importing a image by script will losse the selected layercomposition.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Selecting individual cells across rows & collums

Just like with Excel, it would be great to be able to select individual cells with something like holding the command/control key instead of only being able to select one cell or cells on the same row.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Integrate a Content :before and :after to Styles as it is possible in CSS

In the character and paragraph styles definition: Give us the opportunity of automatically add content before and after the text (give the opportunity to style this additionally with a character style), to which the style is applied. Currently a conent:before is only possible with using a paragraph style a trick (see image, sorry for the German ...).

Working with XML data or other equivalent text sources you can add media related text, that doesn't alter the content. This is quite important, if the content should be exported after production.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Graphic and text in same cell(s) or table

I can't see how to do it presently but it would be great to be able to put both a graphic and text placed over it in the same cell, or a number of cells or the entire table. RIght now it appears to be an either/or choice. I have anchored an image to a table so that it overprints the cell or table but that is rather clunky.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Command to break frame into individual frames for each column

Invoking the command would create individual text frames for each of the columns so they can be manipulated individually.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. The fill and stroke selectors on toolbar when in the single column option are too small.

The fill and stroke selectors on toolbar when in the single column option are too small. By comparison in Illustrator in the same single column view they are much bigger and easier to select.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Anchored illustrations

The layout of anchored Illustrations can NOT be moved around freely on the page it is anchored on. If you try to move the graphic around on the page or next page, the text is obscured or destroyed - the text is under the graphic. If you use the "inline" function the result is the same. The ability to move the "anchored" graphic anyway on the current page, page before it or the next page without the text being effected in any way. The TEXT should re-position itself around the image wherever move it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Kerning Editor (with individual margin alignment options)

A Kerning Editor would fit nicely into the kerning feature, which allows to choose between optical, metrical kerning. The user would define his own kerning names.
    The Kerning Editor has a GUI which allows the user to define his own kerning pairs which override the metrical ones defined in the font's kerning tables. There I can load the metrical kerning or the optical kerning as a start for my individual kerning.
    Furthermore the new Kerning Editor has two more tokens/glyphs to kern with: the left and the right margin of a text frame. So the user can define his own…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make the layers right hand side squares bigger!

Hi, might just be me, but the little squares to denote in which layer an object is in is too small, or not very co-operative.
    If I need to move something from one layer to another, I find it really difficult to hit the target right to move the item, the square is too small.

I am not blind, its just the one element of the UI that I constantly don't get a positive result from first time, normally takes 3 attempts!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. live font

you need live font same photoshop and illustrator

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Started  ·  0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base