Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. QuickApply crashes if an image is placed in a table

Version: InD CC 2017 (and previous)

Steps:
    1. Create a table
    2. Place image in a cell (linked or embedded)
    3. Command-Enter (attempt to open quickApply)

Expected result:
    No crash

Actual result:
    crash

File attached

If images are placed in a table cell, InD crashes when using QuickApply.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. STACK ORDER BUG: Deleting page 1 and 2 causes object to change stack order on subsequent pages

Problem
    1. Discovery of text box missing from page 39 in printed Catalogue.

Review
    1. Immediately review INDD document to attempt to recreate error and report to client preliminary findings.
    a. The bug effects the stack ordering of objects on subsequent pages. In the Food & Beverage case, this missing text box from page 39 was in fact simply “underneath” the background yellow box.
    b. Error occurs when splitting out the cover pages to a separate document (to allow for a spine), whereby Page 1 and 2 and last 2 pages of document are deleted. Software bug appears to only…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Label error Table 1 x 1 cell

Version
    InDesign CC for Teams 2018 (13.0.1) ExtendScript (Javascript)

Steps

### scenario 1

- create table (1 cell, 1 row)
    - select cell with [ESC]-key
    - change label via Javascript

app.selection[0].cells[0].label = "abc";
    $.writeln(app.selection[0].cells[0].label);

- actual result in ESTK --> "abc"
    - actual result in Indesign -> Scriptlabel--> empty window (expected result: "abc" expected)

### scenario 2

- create Table (1 cell, 1 row)
    - select cell with [ESC]-key
    - change label manually via Indesign -> Scriptlabel-Window to "abc"

app.selection[0].cells[0].label = "";
    $.writeln(app.selection[0].cells[0].label);

- actual result in ESTK --> ""
    - actual result in Indesign -> Scriptlabel--> "abc" (expected result:…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Crop to settings not changing from Bounding Box

While placing an image, after choosing Show Import Options, I try to select something other than Bounding Box in the Crop to settings and it won't let me change how it is inserted. I have tried this with both PDFs and AI files, and it is a problem for my coworkers as well who are using 2018. After restarting InDesign, I didn't have the problem anymore.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Text in placed Illustrator object extends out of frame in PDF

I have a map done in Illustrator, saved as an .ai file. This has been placed into InDesign and slightly cropped so that one of the text labels is cut off. When I export this to PDF, the complete line of text shows on the page, extending out past the edge of the frame. The line and shape objects are cropped to the frame though.

The attached PDF shows screenshots illustrating this.

I have had the same thing happen in the same InDesign file (well, the same map template) with a placed InDesign document instead of a placed Illustrator file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. World Ready Paragraph Composer not working for Tibetan

Adobe 2017.1 release, build 12.1.0.56

Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer (AWRPC) for Tibetan fonts does not work in InDesign. While this was not an issue in CS4 since the Adobe Paragraph Composer (APC) was working well for at least two fonts (Jomolhari-ID and SambhotaUnicode), it has become an issue preventing us from using any later versions of InDesign: the APC became unusable for Jomolhari (our main font), and since the AWRPC was never completely working, we are now in a situation where neither APC or AWRPC works… (though SambhotaUnicode still works for APC only).

Jomolhari-ID can be downloaded here: https://collab.its.virginia.edu/access/content/group/26a34146-33a6-48ce-001e-f16ce7908a6a/Tibetan%20fonts/Tibetan%20Unicode%20Fonts/Jomolhari-ID-a3d.zip

Attached…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Custom PDF presets erased after update to CC 2018

I have several saved PDF presets for different clients. All of them had been deleted after upgrading from CC 2017 to 2018. I first thought they were simply not migrated over, but after opening InDesign CC 2017 I noticed they were gone there also! Only the default presets (High-Quality Print, etc.) were showing up in the drop-down menu. I had to go into my TimeMachine update to restore the files.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Annika

Could you please go to the following location on your system, and check whether your presets are present on your machine or not:
    /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings

Also, is there any other Adobe application that is installed on your system, like Illustrator? If yes, could you please check if your presets are shown in those applications or not.

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

8. save as dialogue

Summary: Save button disabled when dragging a folder from finder into the Save dialogue for file that has not been previously saved (new files or converted documents.)

1. InDesign Version 13.0.1 - macOS
    2. To reproduce error: Create a new file (this is required), choose Save As, drag a folder from the finder into the Save As dialogue, press "Save"
    3. Expected result: Save action to take place
    4. Actual result: Save button has no effect (browsing to a new folder will re-enable the Save button)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Random De-selection

I've found this to be an issue ever since I first started using indesign 3 years ago. Sometimes when shift selecting objects, other random objects that you have already selected will unselect themselves. For example, I am selecting 4 random objects on my spread, I select 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, and object 2 unselects itself when I selected object 4

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Opening file in Adobe InDesign CC 2018 prevents same file from opening in InCopy CC 2018

InCopy CC 2018 users get kicked out of file if file is opened in InDesign CC 2018. InCopy CC 2018 cannot open files create in InDesign CC 2018. See attachment.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. InDesign 2018 still crashing when updating in links panel after 13.0.1 update

InDesign 2018 still crashing when updating in links panel after 13.0.1 update. Running Mac OS High Sierra. It's one thing after another since updating to 2018.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Can not start InDesign CC 2018

I can not start the InDesign CC 2018 after the update from CC 2017. The program did not start. Nothing happened. Need I some special rights, now? What could be the reason?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’17 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-13-0-1.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

14. Test

Test

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Cannot open InDesign - error 0xc000012f

For the last week or so, I have not been able to open InDesign. It seems it is the only Adobe programme causing me problems.
    I've tried uninstalling and installing InDesign - nothing happens. I've sent a few bug reports, but haven't received any answer to how I get the programme to work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Layers with visibility or printing turned off still appears when printed.

layers that have visibility turned off and layers with the layer option set to "do not print" don't show up on the monitor but are present when printed.

Mac Pro 2013, OS 10.12.6
    ID CC 2018, 13.0.1

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Background animation little behavior

Since the CC2017 the "activity in background" animation is wrong. Not an important bug, but every time I export a pdf I see this wrong animation :)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Delete page crashes InDesign and closes

I am using 2017.1 Release 12.1.0.56
    When I click to delete a page from my document, ID crashes. It is only happening on one particular file. I tried creating a duplicate copy, adding additional pages and deleting multiple pages and still is crashes.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. OpenType All Small Caps disappear when switching dictionary to German

I have a text that uses the OpenType feature “All Small Caps” in a lot of places. It is currently set to use the English USA dictionary. I am working on translating this text into German, and so I want to use the German dictionary for it. When I try this, all instances of All Small Caps turn to regular lower-case letters. I tried a couple of different dictionaries, some (e.g. other English and Dutch) will retain the SC and others (e.g. None) will make them disappear.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Export Tagging: ‘i’ character in class name exports as blank space

I just did the 2018 update, so I think it's the most recent version: 13.0 x64

I have a document template that contains many character and paragraph styles with export CSS tags that contain the lowercase ‘i’ in them. This character is being exported as a blank space, which completely breaks the CSS, like this:
    should be: <p class="bright"></p>
    getting: <p class="br ght"></p>

This problem was easily replicated in a fresh new document, so it’s something with InDesign, rather than my template file.

This workflow involves complex style mapping through to CSS classes. Because so many of the classes contain…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for sharing the CSS and document. Apparently, I was not able to reproduce the issue, Can you please try to creating new document with few paragraph styles and try exporting the document to HTML and see if the issue is resolved.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base