Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign is very slow

The latest version is virtually unusable. If I select an image or text box on a layout I get a spinning wheel for 10 - 15 seconds. If I try to move something - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Try to save a document - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Previous versions did not behave this way on this same computer. No other applications behave this way.

My Mac is a late 2012 model, 32Gb RAM, 2 SSD drives; one for the OS / Applications and one for the customer files. GeForce video card (came with the computer with 1Gb RAM.

I…

86 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

52 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

2. page tab

Thumbnail page numbers does not show at the bottom of pages tab.

It has a easy work around of extending the tab in documents that are not too long, or counting the page numbers, anyway it's an annoying UI problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. page tab

Thumbnail page numbers does not show at the bottom of pages tab.

It has a easy work around of extending the tab in documents that are not too long, or counting the page numbers, anyway it's an annoying UI problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. numbers being added to end of toc

Bug issue: about midway through my toc headings, the page headers are getting the page number plus 20 added to the end of it. See screenshots. I've replaced the text, removed and reapplied styling. You'd think it'd apply to the whole group, but it's just this section. Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. "haven't" contraction hyphenating in English USA

Unlike most of the other common contractions in English, the word "haven't" hyphenates at the end of a line. It shouldn't.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Export options locked

Hi., When customising the Workspace [ i.e. colouring menus and adding Panels to the Panel Dock ] on an Apple Mac, and then subsequently using File->Export, the Drop down list of Export formats are locked out [ i.e. I cannot go from PDF Print to any other format ]. To resolve I have to go back to one of the default Workspaces such as Essentials etc, and then the Dropdown can be accessed. This happens in all recent releases of InDesign including 2019. I imagine the root cause of the fault is more the colouring of the menus rather than…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Проблема с текстовым фреймом и редактированием текста внутри него

Проблема с текстовым фреймом и редактированием текста внутри него на рабочей области. Один и тот же текст выглядит в рабочей области и вне рабочей по разному. В рабочей области невозможно редактировать текст. (((

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Problem with drop shadow exposure when placing from Illustrator into Indesign

I am using the latest version of Indesign (14.0.1) and Illustrator (23.0.1).
    When placing a .ai file with transparency in Indesign and then making a drop shadow (in Indesign), the transparant parts of the object has the drop shadow above it, instead of beneath... :0

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. InDesign palettes/panels do not expand or open when Application frame is Off

These small panels that you can attach to the large panels would not expand now after the update to 13.0.1
    I had problems with it already 2 updates back.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

10. Document size change/Master page elements appearing on pages where no master page is applied

When changing the page size in Document Setup and ensuring that adjust layout is not selected, master page elements are showing up on pages where master pages are not applied.

Version: INDD CC 2019

Steps to Reproduce: (this does not happen in all cases) In this instance, I changed the document page size in document set up and ensured "Adjust layout" was not selected.

Expected Result: The document page size would change throughout, keeping the same layout as/properties as before.

Actual Result: Master page elements were applied to pages that did not have the master page applied (i.e. header on…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

11. CC Library 2019 - Add new item and change it name

When I add item to CC Library 2019, and try change it name - all text (with lag!) is select and I losing my previeus text, becouse I still typing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Paragraph-style grep functions are unreliable

inDesign paragraph-style grep functions are unreliable. I have two examples with differing issues in a monthly publication.

The first is a query for web addresses and emails based on common TLDs. I have used it for years.
    \b\S+(.com|.org|.gov|.edu|.net|.UK|.ca|.uk|.ly)((\s)|[^>])\;\:\s(.\s)(\,\s)]+)

In the same document, on the same text, the style change query works, and then doesn't work in another paragraph style. To make it more confusing, if I remove the pathname variables it will then work. If I past the variables back in, it will still work.

Even simple match queries will need to be edited into different syntax to work from…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. cross-references bug introduced with 2018.1 update

The 2018.1 "search" added to cross-references is great and will be very helpful. Unfortunately it appears that a bug was introduced in the process of adding this feature.

When you double-click on a cross-reference in the Cross-References panel, it opens the Edit Cross References window. This used to open the window to the cross-reference you selected so you could edit it. Now, it opens the window at [All Paragraphs] with the first paragraph in this list selected.

This is a MESS for my workflow, as I now have to search through the cross-references to find and select the one I…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. linked files ignored upon packaging

1. Adobe InDesign Version 13.1 x64 on Windows

2. images are linked within the document and shown as such. When I package the document, it shows "0 links found" and no linked files are packaged

3. This is the first time I've packaged a document since upgrading to INDD 2018. Have never had it ignore links before

4. No linked files are packaged

5. It sees the links... but not in the "package" menu

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. resize object works rarely

It's already 2019. I've been reading comments from 2015 about this same issue. I downloaded the most current version of InDesign and unbelievably I still cannot resize an object on my MacbookPro by clicking on the shift button. It works occasionally (for some odd reason). This is totally ridiculous. I read dozens of complaints about this from 2015 and on. Seriously, Adobe? You cannot fix this issue once and for all.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. changes reverting back?

Beginning yesterday, anytime I edit my document, the changes momentarily take place and then the changed or deleted items reappear. If I switch between preview and normal, the changes will show.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Spell Check changing to Catalan (Spanish) half-way through

Spell check is changing from English to Catalan on a particular page of my document every time I check it. I have tried changing it back and will select English and then it will still say Catalan and try to change all of my words to Spanish.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Major lagging/hanging when typing text and selecting objects

InDesign 14.0.1; Windows 10

I was experiencing some major lag when typing text, up to 30 seconds. Even when text started to appear, words would appear only one letter at a time with significant delay in between. The problem then expanded to selecting and moving objects around on a page. InDesign for me has been unusable for the past few hours (Jan. 25, 2019 from 1:30 - 4:30pm EST). I even tried reverting back to version 14.0 and had no luck. Rebooted several times. I then went into my system restore and saw that earlier today a Microsoft Visual C++…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Properties Panel Missing in Indesign CC 2018 (v 14.0)

Properties Panel is not available under Window>

I'm on a Windows 10 Ent, Adobe Suite CC; Indesign 2018.

I have restarted the PC; deleted opm.db; tried different documents. BTW this is the first time I was using Indesign. I am working with the Adobe Tutorials.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Cursor size in working area is huge InDesign CC 2018 Win

The ID cursor (black) when over the workspace is huge. It is normal size when hovering over the tool bars (white), but when you move over the workspace it is supersized. This occurs when working on an external monitor, but is scaled appropriately on HD Laptop Screen.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base