Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. postscript file

Print dialog set to print 3 x 3 thumbnails. I selected Postscript File in the Printer menu, and it blocked the thumbnails options. I saved the .ps file, but it was not usable:

When the file was converted [whether with Acrobat Distiller or Preview], the layout was for a vertical page layout, with the right page of each spread cut off.

Question: How can I create a usable Postscript or PDF file for thumbnails?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Choosing a link's page or layer right in the links panel

I would love to be able to change the page of my links without having to replace the file and select the page through import options. I use a lot of nested indesign files where I'm duping up business cards with multiple sides. It gets timely when I have 4 sides and I have to replace them all 8 times. Keep it in mind guys! You're doing an awesome job! I <3 adobe people!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. No longer able to use arrow keys in outer glow size

I used to be able to arrow up or down in the "size" for an outer glow and other transparency effects and the increment would increase or decrease. I am no longer able to do that. It is a bit frustrating. I'm working on a Mac with the latest operating system and my programs are all up to date. Please fix this bug!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. index

RE: Index / Table of Contents

When creating an Index, you are limited to populate ONLY one Index style format. MS Word, it is greatly inferior program, and yet you can create a General Index, a Index of Cases and Index of Figures. Indesign is the leading industry program for designers and writers, NOT MS word.

What happens if have lots of illustrations, data tables graphs and flowcharts all numbered accordingly. For example, an illustration (Figure 20 or Table 7), maybe on page 40, but there are 40 mentions throughout the document. Thus, in Indesign, you can not create a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Germandbls in all caps with Adobe Composer

This is to report that the "World-Ready Composers" and the regular "Composers" do not behave in sync concerning the Germandbls (upper case German sharp s) in all caps. More precise: The "World-Ready Composers" do it right, while the regular "Composers" do it wrong:
    Using the latter and applying all caps, the germandbls is generally substituted by SS, which shouldn't be. Modern fonts leave the decision to the typographer whether a Germandbls or SS is applied. In any case the first choice should be the Germandbls.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Window freezes

the indesign document window tends to freeze, I can fix it by creating a new window for the document and closing the old one. But it's pretty annoying, as you can imagine.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Alternate text added to graphic missing in exported PDF when using Articles panel.

1.) Apply alternate text to graphic using Object > Object Export Options.

2.) Anchor graphic into frame

3.) Add containing text frame to Articles panel.

4.) Export to PDF including tags

The result is that the exported PDF file doesn't have the alternate text applied

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Stack Order changes when pages deleted bug

When both "Allow Document Pages to shuffle" and "Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle" are selected and you delete a spread some text boxes on other pages move behind placed graphics. To stop this unselect "Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle" option.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Margins Dialogue boxes

Make the new document margins and the drop down menu for margins the same. Top, bottom, inside, outside are indifferent places if you are tabbing thru to fill. So frustrating...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Problems saving Indesign CC 2018 files directly onto a server

I have an issue saving Indesign CC 2018 files onto our server.

I have attached two examples of the error messages we get.

The only way we can work is to save the Indesign file, on to the Desktop and then moving over manually.

We have installed the latest version of Indesign CC 2018 and MacOS High Sierra (Version 10.13.2).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while. We have been able to address the issue and it has been fixed in our beta builds.
    In order to try out the fix of the issue you may join InDesign CC Prerelease program @https://www.adobeprerelease.com and download latest beta build 14.×.×.x from download section on the home page of InDesign CC Prerelease portal.

Let us know in the comments if you see any issue with the beta builds.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

14. Pop ups fail

Hi, I have Id cc 13.0.1 by Adobe Creative Cloud. When I double clic on an indd file all pop up menus from differents windows don't work, I can choose (e.g. vertical alignment from framework option or multiply from effects) but the original option remains. If I open the app first and the file later it works perfectly.
    Hope this helps. Bye!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Button area changes size when adding object that only appears on rollover

Hello!
    I am having issues with buttons, rendering my project entirely unusable.

When creating buttons on a map:
    - Each button is a building on the map.
    - When you rollover the building with your mouse, a box appears that gives more information about the building.

To accomplish this, I create the button, set it to change on rollover, and drag my additional graphic into the rollover state for that button on the layers panel.

The issue I'm having is that instead of the overall button size staying the same, once I add that additional graphic in the rollover, the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Undo does not work properly on deleted text, it only deletes one character at a time instead of whole block of text

I am on a Mac and this is a problem with InDesign 2018.

If you backspace delete two or more characters from text, undo (Ctrl+Z) only restores one character at a time instead of the whole block that was deleted in that action.

Undo worked fine in previous versions of InDesign, and it works fine in Word and other apps.

I have tried deleting InDesign preferences and caches and even reinstalled it with import previous prefereces unchecked, but the problem remains, and I cannot find any solution. Can someone please help?

Macbook Air now running High Sierra 10.13.2 (but problem…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. glitchy grey squares and triangles popping up under images when placed, they also sometimes pop up under the cursor.

I keep getting grey squares and triangles pop under the cursor or under images when I place them on my document and Its very distracting. Im not sure if its anything to do with the new update?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Dialog Box Disappears

From time to time the Move dialogue box will not show up when called using the hotkey Shift-Command-M. InDesign then thinks a dialogue box is open and will not perform other tasks. You cannot exit the phantom dialogue box with escape. You cannot save your document. You cannot quit InDesign without manually force quitting.

I am on Mac High-Sierra OS 10.13.1 (17B1003) and the latest Creative Cloud version of InDesign. I have had this happen on multiple computers and on multiple versions of InDesign.

I do not have multiple monitors - however, I do use the Spaces function on the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. InCopy Assignments Updates Crash InDesign

I have an InDesign book file housing several InDesign files that are news page documents with InCopy assignments. When I open the .indd files from the .indb file and a story has been updated (update links dialogue) when I click on "update links" InDesign crashes. I've clicked "don't update links" and it doesn't crash. However, when I go to the page that needs updating and I click update in the assignments panel, InDesign crashes.
    This all happened before and after I reset my InDesign preferences.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. When I try to switch between blending modes in the panel - I do not see the changes in real time in the file. I have to click outside the wi

When I try to switch between blending modes in the effects panel - I do not see the changes in real time in the file.
    I have to click outside the window every time to see what it looks like

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base