Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Indesign screen doesn't always refresh

This happens to me since long, first time I report it here:
    Working in a document of ± 40pages. When I change the para style of one or more paragraphes, Indesign can't keep up the screen display with this change and shows the old AND the new situation at the same time on the screen. When moving to a new spread and going back to this page, MOST OF THE TIME it's alright. But very annoying. This has been happening at least since versions 2019.

Using iMac 2015, 24 GB RAM, latest macOS, ID 15.1.1

PS: this bug-page is also…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Slow & stuttering performance since using 4K monitor

Hi

I've recently upgraded to a Dell UP2720Q 4K monitor.
    Since the upgrade i've notices that inDesign has become nearly unusable, Its slow when selecting objects, editing text, moving things around...

When moving Indesign to my second monitor (eizo s2433w) the problem goes away.

The only fix I have found is to change the display profile to "Apple RGB" in the display settings. This fixes the problem immediately, but now the colours look horrible...

I've also notices this problem with other Adobe apps like, illustrator and photoshop. But Indesign seems to have the worst of it.

1. Version of Adobe InDesign,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Suddenly my document reverts to an earlier version

Ever since I updated Adobe InDesign to version 15.0.1, my current document suddenly reverts to a state from several minutes prior. All of my recent changes are gone, up to ten minutes, and they are not even available under Edit > Redo.

I've started saving more often now. Recently, this problem happened again. It suddenly went back to an earlier state than I had last saved, so I closed without saving, reopened, and the file was exactly in the state I expected, which was a LATER state than my document had reverted itself to (thank goodness), but not where I…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Cannot copy/paste elements from 2019 to 2020 without the element becoming an image

InDesign 2019 14.0.3 copy/paste issue into InDesign 2020 15.0.01 (and vice-versa).

Steps to reproduce:
    1. In a 2019 InD doc, copy a text box with text inside it.
    2. Open a new document in InD 2020.
    3. Paste the text box with text inside it into 2020 InD.
    4. The text becomes an image instead of live text. Though, no links show up in the links panel.
    5. This can be reproduced if copying from 2020 into 2019. But it does not happen if copying/pasting from a 2020 doc into a 2020 doc, 2019 doc into a 2019 doc.
    6.…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. blacked out images with no broken links

InDesign ver 15.0.1
    I have a file that displayed all linked images correctly this morning. 90% of the images are linked from my desktop, which is also where the InDesign file is located. 2 of the linked images are from a network cloud server.

After disconnecting from the server and then reopening the file, all linked files appear to have broken links. However when, checking the Links panel, only the images that were linked from the server are broken. This makes sense except that all linked images populate the document as either a gray box or a solid black box.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InDesign typekit fonts and sometimes activation does not work when network connectivity is lost

I work during commute and travel on my laptop and the past few versions have not been able to utilize typekit fonts without internet connection.

Issues often persist even after reconnecting. There are many errors that arise when network switches status.

This makes me unable to adjust layouts since there is no way to know the space taken up by the font. This has also cost me hours in slow tech support from adobe. Hours of lost productivity because of this bug that has been unbelievably overlooked.

If there is anything else I can do to help fix this for…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Printing seems to change a document

When the only thing done is printing an InDesign document, the app acts if there were any changes made: when closing, it asks wheter to save the changes.
    This is very confusing, since it makes the user think something was changed by accident. Please make InDesign close the document without the save dialog, if nothing was changed.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Bugs with GPU, Bugs without GPU (zoom, moving objects, create text)

(Working on Adobe InDesign 14.0.2.)

Hi there,

so for a couple of weeks, my Indesign behaves quite badly.
    For demonstration purposes, I created a new blank file but these bugs also occur in existing work projects.

Case 1: GPU switched on (Image: GPU on):
    Zooming does not show any effect, only when I click in and change something. The rulers change, but my board/document is not zooming in (Video: Zooming with GPU). As soon as I found my page, the objects don't really move that well, more in a lagging, stocking way. (Video: Moving Objects with GPU).

This leads to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. InD responding slowly

This isn't a "bug" per se, but InD has slowed to a crawl when using. Doesn't matter if I am trying to select text, change tools, or click on a menu item. It's been going very slow for a while now, doesn't matter the file. I have tried to trash preferences and reinstall InD, and nothing has changed it. Oh, and I just have major lag, not a spinning ball.

I am Win10, InD CC 14.0.2. The only plug-in I am running is Suitcase Fusion, and that is up to date as well.

Help please, as InDesign is unusable at…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Smart Grid feature not working properly. Green lines don't appear showing alignment with object's previous location

As the title says, when I move an object, the temporary green smart grid lines do not appear to show whether I am in alignment with the object's previous position. I noticed this when I was trying to replicate the 3rd video titled "Align and group content" in the "Edit Content" tutorial.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/edit-modify-content.html

I am using Adobe InDesign version 14.0.2 x64 on Windows 10.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Snapping objects is funky

When moving or scaling objects and aligning (snapping) them to guides or objects, they don't snap to the guides or objects exactly. I regularly
    need to zoom in and visually align them correctly.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Wacom tablet settings nonfunctional

Wacom tablet setting for InDesign CC 2019 won't show or function in the active application. The touch ring and radial menu setting do not show up. The default settings appear instead. The screen grabs demonstrate how the touch ring behaves with the four default functions; autoscroll/Zoom, Cycle Layers, Brush Size and Canvas Rotation.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Short Cut Keys no longer work in Indesign 2019

Indesign 2019
    Most of the old standard short cut keys no longer work and I cannot find anywhere what the new ones are or if I can change to a legacy mode. I'm talking basic old school short cuts like "space" to bring up the hand tool temporarily and the "shift" key to proportionately scale an object. Can anyone help me out with this as my productivity is grinding to a halt and I am not happy one bit.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Use of CC Library Items - EPS files Export as grey boxes and are not properly linked and do not package properly

When using CC Libraries logos, those logos being used are EPS files.
    Those files will export and be grey boxes as if a broken link.
    Try and access said file in the CC library and sometimes work and doesnt.

Also these are not collected for output and saved as EPS files when packaging.

We need to make sure the files are pulled from the CC library and included in the Package. THis would help when we send files to outside companies so they can utilize original content that has been created and put into CC Libraries.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Working in InDesign 14.01 on an imac Retina 5K, 4 GHz intel core i7. MacOS Mojave versjon 10.14.1.

Working in InDesign 14.01
    On an imac Retina 5K, 4 GHz intel core i7.
    MacOS Mojave versjon 10.14.1.

In Design is so super slow for me.
    I´ve updated everything, and still its superslow.

I work on a lot of large documents and some of them I can't even open up. It just crashes or takes for ever to get something done!! Frustrating!!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Keyboard Shortcut Ctrl+Shft+G (Ungroup) acts strange

In Windows 10, Indesign 14.0:

Ungrouping with keyboard shortcut only works when I:

1. hold Ctrl+LeftShift,

2. then touch RightShift (while holding Ctrl+LeftShift) (????)

3. press G (while still holding Ctrl+LeftShift)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. InDesign 2019 scrubby zoom no longer works (command + space + click)

Prior to InDesign 2019, you can press command + spacebar + click to be able to activate the scrubby zoom feature.

Now when you press command + spacebar + click you just draw a box that once you unclick, it zooms to that space... Very undesirable..

Did a preference change on the update somewhere that I don't know about? Because I can not find this feature in the Preferences now.

Please advise.

Thanks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The feature you are talking about is called ‘Animated Zoom’ (it’s Mac only feature).
    It is turned ON by default on Mac machines having a GPU card with a compatible monitor attached.
    Check the Document Name in its tab – does it say ‘GPU Preview’? If not, press Shift+E to switch to this mode.
    Also, check under Preferences > GPU Performance and see if ‘Animated Zoom’ is checked ON. It should be enabled for this feature to work.

Adobe InDesign team

18. File Info (description) on placed photographs in indesign CC 14 is unable to be copied to clipboard when selected.

File Info (description) on placed photographs in indesign CC 14 is unable to be copied to clipboard when selected. This means we are unable to caption images using metadata in our newsroom workflow. Is anyone else having this issue.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. AIGPUSNIFFER NOT WORKING CC2018 MOJAVE 10.14

Io lavoro con un iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) , macoli Mojave 10.14, 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096MB, e quando apro INDESIGN CC2018 mi appare sempre AIGPUSNIFFER che non funziona.

Cosa posso fare?

Grazie

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. tool

When working with Indesign CC2018 and still in CC2019 on Mac. I can't use the Toolbox/bar on my second monitor connected to my MacBook. When the Toolbox is placed/locked on to the left hand side of the screen, the submenus of all tools (Type, Pen, Pencil etc.) don't open on my secondary monitor, but semi randomly are placed on the display of my MacBook. the only way to "fix" this is to place the Toolbox on the MacBook's display, but that's not the way to go about it...
    It has something to do with different resolutions of the two screens,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base