Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

859 results found

1. Performance: Import documents / style apply

my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) is super slow when importing word documents, search and replace styles or adapting styles. Does it improve when changing to the Mojave system? Or is there a conflict with FontExplorer X Pro. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm suffering…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

In order to investigate the issue at our end we would require some more information from your side. Can you please answer the following questions to help us out:

1) Please let us know the version of InDesign on which you are facing this issue.
    2) It would really help us a lot, if you can share the documents( and other resources) with which you are facing the issue.
    3) Can you please share a small video demonstrating all the issues that you are experiencing.

Please mail this information to pgaurav@adobe.com

Thanks

2. No Panels at Start

Many times CC apps start with no panels at all or panels which won't expand when clicked.

Also happens in Photoshop, Illustrator in my experience and on different machines (Mac Pro at home, different iMacs at the office).

Has been going on for many iterations of CC apps.

macOS High Sierra 13.13.3 / CC 2018 InDesign 13.0.1

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    As per some recent comments on this thread, customers have confirmed that the issue is fixed.
    We are closing the thread. In case issue is encountered again, please log a new thread.

-InDesign Team

3. Indesign performance issue : Object movement

Indesign is always giving me rainbow wheel even if I edit small slides.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.

In the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3
    We have fixed multiple scenarios where the movement of objects was found to be slow.

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

4. 2024 lag

InDesign 2024 is lagging a lot—there's a delay in response when clicking onto a text or content box to edit the content. Even moving from page to page (at typical or fast display) there's a lag.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. M1 Mac Graphic Problems Continue

As others have mentioned InDesign graphic performance on M1 Macs is unacceptable. This was marked as "fixed" but it continues with macOS Ventura 13.0.1 and InDesign 18. For example, the screen does not always redraw when scrolling or jumping to a different page until you move your pointer. Switching to a different program and then back to InDesign also fixes the problem for a while. It doesn't matter whether GPU Performance is on or off. This is the most fundamental functionality. Please figure it out and fix it once and for all.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Window and panels moving when Mac goes to sleep

There is an issue with Adobe apps while using Mac M1 with an external monitor. When put in sleep, the windows and palettes move to the bottom half of the screen.

There are comments on this thread that confirm

this is an issue with specifically Adobe apps(illustrator, photoshop and indesign at least):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/window-and-panels-moving-when-mac-goes-to-sle...

please, Adobe support, address this issue.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Menu bar gets stuck - Indesign on M1 Pro mac

On a regular basis the pull down menus in Indesign will stop reacting properly: Clicking menu item will select the topic (screenshot 1), but not pull down the menu. A second click AND hold will pull down the menu, but all the sub-menus remain unavailable, they will not pull out. The issue is persisent: Restarting Indesign does not fix it once it starts occuring, but restarting the computer will fix it. The issue may be OS related, but it only occurs in Indesign, and only on my M1 Pro computer, not my older Intel mac.

The issue usually occurs after…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. cross-reference bug InDesign 2020

I'm working with a 50-page document using the latest version of InDesign (15.1.1 x64) on Windows 10. Cross-reference not only takes minutes to create but also takes that amount of time to update. It's become a useless feature of InDesign.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Slow performance - spinning wheel - AdobeFnt22.lst

Hi Adobe, we are still having major issues with a lot of spinning wheels in InDesign version 15.1.1. because of the AdobeFnt22.lst files that are created with every document. Basically when we open a document it resyncs/updates the AdobeFnt22.lst file of every document that was previously worked from that Mac. This is causing a lot of network traffic and spinning wheels in InDesign. The problem is fixed if we restart the Mac or rename the "Document fonts" folder so that InDesign no longer uses the fonts so does not create an "AdobeFnt.lst" file. Can you please sort this out, it…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. We will review it shortly.

-InDesign Team

10. InDesign performance issue: Slow on documents present on server

it's not an idea, but a problem. Indesign creates problems on the network and is very slow with server documents, as never before. The media told me to work locally, but I ask Adobe to solve the problem. Windows 10 64 bit - Intel processor 32 GB of ram.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Flashing screen on selecting text

Adobe InDesign 2024

When highlighting text with text tool or selecting multiple items with the selection tool and dragging with the mouse held down, the screen flashes rapidly between the document and plain white - this makes the ID document contents not visible on the screen so you can't actually see what you are doing - eg can't see what text is being highlighted

Please fix asap - it is making ID virtually unusable!

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Scrolling is glitchy or nonfunctional in InDesign 2024

Scrolling with a mouse (not the trackpad) through a document vertically or horizontally works, but not always. Zooming in by holding Alt and then scrolling is unusable because trying to zoom in causes everything to zoom all the way out, and continuing to try to zoom in only works sometimes.

I have tried this with multiple mouses, and the issue does not occur in any other program, including InDesign 2023.

In the attached video, I am holding Alt and trying to zoom in.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Adobe InDesign opening files as read-only

I am using InDesign v 16.2.1 on a MacBook Pro (Intel) running Big Sur (11.3.1) and connected to a file server on the network via the SMB protocol. Also I have Sophos Endpoint Protection installed. When attempting to open a file on the file server, InDesign opens it in read-only mode. If I attempt to do the same with Sophos turned off, the file opens read-write. It appears that other InDesign/Sophos/Mac customers have experienced the same issue:

https://community.sophos.com/intercept-x-endpoint/big-sur-eap/f/discussions/126631/big-sur-11-2-3---intercept-x-10-0-4---adobe-indesign-opening-files-as-read-only

I am formally requesting a resolution to this issue, as it seems this is a common problem for people working on network-attached…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. InDesign 2021 is not allowing me to open files created in previous version

I cannot open any files created in previous version. I had to reinstall InDesign 2020 to be able to do my work. InDesign 2021 is giving me a message about damaged files, is trying to repair them but without any success. So this version needs to be fixed asap.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. inDesign 2020 removed the zoom view box from the top menu bar

This user is much unhappy that inDesign 2020 no longer provides the zoom view box that appeared in the top menu bar, directly to the right of the help tab. That was a fast, easy way to change the view size of the file in the screen.

I was told by Adobe that this feature was dropped because the screen size view could be achieved by other existing features. Sure... now one must pull down a tab, then go to another command and activate a feature like zoom in and zoom out. And that only shifts the view in or…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The change was made to reduce the UI clutter for the user and it was moved to the bottom left of the screen in the Status bar where other controls like page navigation, preflight profiles, etc. are available.

To continue using this feature, we can suggest a simple workaround which takes less than a minute to accomplish – just open the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog, choose Views, Navigation from the Product Area drop-down, select the ‘Access zoom percentage box’ from the list of commands and assign a shortcut – example, Ctrl-Alt-5. You can customize the keyboard shortcuts as you like and save a new Keyboard Shortcut Set.

Meanwhile, we are reviewing this request.

Adobe InDesign team

16. Adobe InDesign v18.1 is not saving file previews.

Updated to v18.1 and file previews are no longer visible in the finder. Mac OS 12.6.1

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Workspace Disappears on open - InDesign 18.0

Workspace Disappears on open - InDesign 18.0. Only shows when I go to Window>Workspace>Reset [workspace name]

iMac OS Ventura 13.0

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Slow & stuttering performance since using 4K monitor

Hi

I've recently upgraded to a Dell UP2720Q 4K monitor.
    Since the upgrade i've notices that inDesign has become nearly unusable, Its slow when selecting objects, editing text, moving things around...

When moving Indesign to my second monitor (eizo s2433w) the problem goes away.

The only fix I have found is to change the display profile to "Apple RGB" in the display settings. This fixes the problem immediately, but now the colours look horrible...

I've also notices this problem with other Adobe apps like, illustrator and photoshop. But Indesign seems to have the worst of it.

1. Version of Adobe InDesign,…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Suddenly my document reverts to an earlier version

Ever since I updated Adobe InDesign to version 15.0.1, my current document suddenly reverts to a state from several minutes prior. All of my recent changes are gone, up to ten minutes, and they are not even available under Edit > Redo.

I've started saving more often now. Recently, this problem happened again. It suddenly went back to an earlier state than I had last saved, so I closed without saving, reopened, and the file was exactly in the state I expected, which was a LATER state than my document had reverted itself to (thank goodness), but not where I…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Text cursor disappears - Mojave and InDesign CC 13.1

After upgrading to Mac OSX Mojave (10.14), using InDesign CC 13.1 ME, the text cursor disappears. All other cursors appear as expected. This happens both with the standard Text tool, and the ME Text tool.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base