Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

855 results found

1. text wrap panel grayed out

I do not have access to any functions of text wrap panel in Indesign 2022. Please see attached image. I really need this to work as I use text wrap often!

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. can't see content when opening file, covered with red or black blocks or lines

Issue started with upgrade to InDesign 16.2.1 that when I open file, content appears blank or covered with red or black blocks or lines. I have to repeatedly resize the window in order to work on the page. I also noticed issues when editing text. It only allows me to edit text that is one or two lines above where the cursor appears—very frustrating!

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Recent files panel is unreadable

InDesign Version: 16.1

Steps to reproduce the issues: Open InDesign

Expected result: Text of recent files would be readable and not stacking text on top of itself

Actual result: Text stacks on itself and is completely unreadable.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. InDesign v15.1 slow to open and poor performance generally

Another decrease in performance between v15.0 (whcih was already very slow compared to v14) and v15.1 on Windows 10 x64 with a very high-spec workstation.

Particularly frustrating is when you click on the icon in the taskbar to launch the app it appears as though nothing has happened and takes 30 seconds or so before the splash screen appears and the app appears to have launched. By which time you usually tried launching it again a few times!

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting. We are reviewing the issue.
    -InDesign Team

5. Right to Left direction select opposite direction

When we want to select a character or word by using cursor key in Arabic text, it select the opposite direction, i.e. Ctrl + Left arrow key, Shift + Left arrow key, Ctrl + Shift + Left arrow key, or Ctrl + Shift + Left arrow key, will select a character or word on the right of cursor, even if already set to "Visual" in preference for cursor movement.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Separation Preview Bug

Separation preview will scrambled when you jump to next page and turn any colour separation off, the text and image from previous page will show on the current display page.

This issue has beed existed since version 2017 to 2020. I saw some users are facing same issue from previous version and not been fix all these years.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Spellcheck

Spellcheck in InDesign 2020 build 15.0.2 doesn't work. It acts like it is working, but it never finds any misspellings. I noticed it yesterday when I sent an article to the proof reader and it came back with errors InDesign should have detected. I purposely put in misspellings, but InDesign found no spelling mistakes.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Vector graphics randomly vanish upon transformation in high quality display mode

If I have a simple InDesign document with a placed .ai or .pdf graphic, and set display quality to "high quality", then proceed to transform the frame using ctrl+shift+drag, the content of the frame will randomly disappear. To get it to display again I have to zoom in or out, or toggle between preview mode. Where multiple objects are on the page sometimes just the one I'm transforming will go, and sometimes others will vanish as well. See the attached video for a demonstration.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Presentation mode is not entering fullscreen and hiding the UI

Using InDesign on Windows 10. Recently (perhaps with the last CC update to 13.0.1 x64?) preview mode is no longer working as expected.

Whether using shift+W or via the menu, instead of full-screen document + black background (expected behaviour for Presentation mode), InDesign instead appears to be going into Preview mode, where the UI remains onscreen. The pasteboard is changing to black, however, the UI remains instead of full-screen mode.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Disturbed InDesign workflow with several Macs on Apple Server

All Macs in the network are running macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 and InDesign CC 2018 13.01 – Server is running OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 and Apple Server 5.1.5.

Prior to InDesign CC 2018 everything went fine. Now, users in the network (SMB share) are having issues opening/editing files saved by another user (with the same macOS and Indesign version, as mentioned above).

I knew that the initial High Sierra upgrade could break file sharing, but all Macs have the latest macOS security update installed (hence version 10.13.1).

Sometimes, if a user waits for up to 30 minutes, he/she can…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Mouse Latency Issues

Indesign 13.0; macOS High Sierra 10.13; Macbook Pro 15" 2015

When using the trackpad the cursor lags even when the display mode is changed to fast. This lag is quite visible even in small size documents.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. high CPU usage version 17.2

as referred in these posts there is a performance problem with indesign that coming from version 17.0 and still exist(version 17.2):

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/44374644-high-cpu-usage-2022-17-0-x64

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/44775886-high-cpu-use-with-version-17-1

No answer from Adobe , No fix , nothing unfortunately. It uses about 20 % of CPU when you open Indesign , it does not matter there is a document that is opened or not , it uses 20% of CPU all the time. non of other Adobe's 2022 apps have this weird problem.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Black horizontal lines appear on screen when scrolling

When I expand the Indesign window to fill 90% of my 27" screen, I get numerous black horizontal lines appearing when scrolling. Other editing functions typical when handling type on a layout also produce random broken lines. If I click a page forward or back arrow, the lines disappear. I was first using v16.2 and just upgraded to 16.3.2 today with same results. Just discovered I have to reduce the widow size to about 75% of my screen size for the lines to not appear at all. Never had this happen on previous versions and need almost full screen width…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. InDesign Slow in MacOS Catalina when using a calibrated screen profile.

I am an experienced user of Adobe products for over 20 years. My current subscription is to Adobe Creative Suite (full). I am using a Mac Pro running MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina) on NVMe SSD with 48 GB RAM and AMD 5700 XT GPU with 8GB VRAM. All Adobe apps are up to date.

If I use a calibrated screen profile, InDesign becomes extremely slow, so that every selection of a menu item, every key-press, every pan or drag, becomes incredibly slow.

This fault is independent of document size (it happens with a new document, with one blank page). It is…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 15.1.1

15.1.1 is running EXTREMELY slowly.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Disappointed with Adobe

For me the last 2-3 InDesign updates have been just misery; I cannot work without the spinning wheel showing for every little change I do, so I have had to work on an older version. I was hoping the last update (15.1) would fix this, but no; I had to install an older version again. When will you fix this lagging problem which has been present in every update the last 1-2 years?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Adobe InDesign 2020 Super Slow

InDesign 2020 is super slow. I cannot have two files open at the same time anymore (a problem for me). The response time between mouse clicks is up to 10-30 sec! I have moved my files to an external drive (off of the network to eliminate VPN as the problem), still no improvement. It has crashed, and when prompted I have sent a report. My program is current 15.0.2.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. InDesign Is Still Unusably Slow

Despite this forum being filled with "solved" reports of InDesign being unusably slow, it remains so.
    I am editing a 4 page document that is almost all text, and yet I get the spinning ball after each and every keystroke. It can take 5-10 seconds just to complete typing a word, and heaven help me if I make a mistake and need to backspace.

I just updated InDesign this morning so I am on 14.0.2. I'm running Windows 10 1903. The machine is an MSI laptop with an i7 processor and 12GB of RAM.

I have attempted to edit the…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. spinning beach ball when clicking into text box

When clicking on a text box to edit text or move box, spinning beach ball delays response by 5 seconds to over a minute. Happens with text tool or select tools. Only way to solve this issue is to work offline. My internet is fine. I use many other apps besides indd and do not have delay issues. Never had a problem prior to the integration of Typekit in most recent versions. MacOS 10.14.3.
    Attached are some screen grabs showing recent freezes. Spinning beach ball is not visible, but that's what I am seeing. Thank you for your attention.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Flashing screen

When trying to open Illustrator AND InDesign, the "new document" window that automatically pops up is white and just flashes on and off the screen. If I try to click out of the screen, it closes the whole program. I can't access any of my files.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base