Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fast save is taking 37 seconds

I imported a Word file that has a lot of linked footnotes into InDesign 2018. Spread by spread, I touch each paragraph to fix overrides. There is no reflow of text when I do this step. Yet when I do a plain "save" before going to the next spread, InDesign is taking 37 seconds to save. 37 seconds of watching the rainbow spin. InDesign is acting like it is reflowing every page in the background as it quick saves. That should not be necessary. The last time I experienced this type of slowness was back in the PageMaker days. The…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. page not displayed

I am editing a long document (over 300 pages). Several non-consecutive spreads are displaying blank. When I change screen mode from normal to preview, it displays the content correctly. The same happens if I change Display Performance prom Typical to either Fast display or High Quality Display.
    Also selecting all the text (ctrl+A) takes more than 5 seconds. The same operation in MS Word is instant.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. paragraph styles panel

InDesign CC
    Expected: Paragraph Styles Panel opens to a list of my styles
    Actual: Panel opens and the list cannot be seen until the panel is widened to 3x its normal size.

The panel appears to be split into two columns with the styles in the left column. When the panel is narrowered (ie normal size), the styles column collapses and the styles list cannot be seen. The only way to access the styles list is to enlarge the width of the panel to about 3x its normal size. Please see the attached image showing the action of the styles…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Cursor vanishes when over frames

My cursor is vanishing in InDesign when I move it over a frame (or object inside a frame). It is almost like it is underneath or behind the frame/object.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Indesign becomes slower after working on document over short duration. CC 13.0.1

Indesign becomes slower after working on document over short duration. CC 13.0.1
    App is OK after restart. Once working on the document for 10 min the navigation around the document and any command request, ie duplicate a image slows down and becomes sluggish until app is restarted once more.
    Im working on a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB.
    (Display performance at "Typical Displace)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Bad performance InDesign to InCopy

InDesign 13.0.1 and InCopy 13.0.1.
    I right click multible text blocks in InDesign to export them to InCopy and then save.
    After saving I inmediately get and new window asking to save the links again with a different name. I have to cancel the second save dialog window.
    The InCopy links do work in InCopy, but My collegues complain that InCopy is slow!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. CC library window disappears from workspace

Every time I start indesign the CC libraries window disappears from my workspace. I add it again and overwrite my workspace, but it disappears again as soon as I quit. Using CC 2018 13.0 on Mac OS El Capitan 10.11.6

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. InDesign interface has issues after exiting touch mode

To replicate the bug, have at least two documents open.
    After using touch mode and then switching to normal (essentials), the status bar at the end of the current document (contains pages, etc.) will look a little rough. In the document that was not focused, the entire status bar background is missing. In addition, on that document the scrollbars disappear and flash while you scroll, which is a little disturbing for your eyes.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. InDesign typekit fonts and sometimes activation does not work when network connectivity is lost

I work during commute and travel on my laptop and the past few versions have not been able to utilize typekit fonts without internet connection.

Issues often persist even after reconnecting. There are many errors that arise when network switches status.

This makes me unable to adjust layouts since there is no way to know the space taken up by the font. This has also cost me hours in slow tech support from adobe. Hours of lost productivity because of this bug that has been unbelievably overlooked.

If there is anything else I can do to help fix this for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. InDesign 2020 (v15.0) everything slow compared to 2019 (v14.0.3)

Since upgarding to InDesign 2020 performance has slowed considerably. Selecting a frame takes ages, clicking the cursor in a different part of a text frame takes ages for the cursor to appear etc. Almost every action has a 2 or 3 second delay; whereas it would fly along on v14.

I have 20-core Xeon PC with 64 GB RAM and Nvidia Quadro K5000 graphics; so no slouch!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Packaging dialogue location default

Please have the document packaging dialogue default to the folder the InDesign file your packaging from is located in. Up till InDesign 2020 this was the default, now it is packaging things wherever something was saved last.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Severe performance issues

Using Version 14.0.3 on a MacBook Pro. Every time I try to switch from one object to another the program gives me a spinning wheel of death for about a minute (sometimes more...sometimes I have to force quit/restart). I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app completely. This happens regardless of the document that I have open, even just a text document with no images, etc. There is no crash, the program just freezes entirely.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Cannot save file " " under a new name. The file "DBTmp982766505057" is damaged (Error code: 0).

I just upgraded to Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave in order to accommodate the latest Adobe CC 2019, which I also just installed. I have yet to be able to save an InDesign file. I keep getting the above message.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. InDesign 14.0.2 constant spinning beachball - especially on text related commands

Working in InDesign 14.0.2 on High Sierra, (single computer home network) the programme is exceptionally slow - taking about 10 seconds (of beachballing) to select a line of copy. Clicking between objects takes 5-10 seconds also. This is happening on my Mac Book Pro and iMac, both running High Sierra - all other programmes are working normally. I have tried trashing my preferences and uninstalling etc, but nothing has improved the lagging issue. I have had to revert to the 2018 version to get my work done.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Resized vectors not displaying properly in high quality display mode on drag

14.0.2 x64 on Windows 10

Steps:
    1. High Quality display mode (default settings)
    2. Place any EPS vector file.
    3. Attempt to resize it while holding ctrl-shift to maintain ratios.

Expected result:
    The vector file, resized.

Actual result:
    Grey box. I have to zoom in or out to get the screen to "refresh" and show the correct image.

Similar issue happens with placed AI file. Very simple, clearly. Just a triangle. Made in the latest version of Illustrator.

The Youtube button is an EPS.

Related: If I use the option "Greek Vector Graphics on Drag" it performs correctly, only now…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I have Adobe InDesign 14.0.2 x64, and my book chapters keep showing a spinning wheel when i try to make any change

I have Adobe InDesign 14.0.2 x64, and my book chapters keep showing a spinning wheel when i try to make any change. Say I need to add one letter, after doing so the ball has to spin 10 times until i can do anything else. This is extremely time consuming and is wasting my time when I have to wait 2 minutes after any tiny change before I can make another. I have seen others posting issues about this over a year ago. All fixes people have suggested do nothing for me. Please help.
    In reading that it could be…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Converted file saves in wrong folder

When I open a previous version ID project and click convert, the option to save the project opens the previous file folder I was working in and not the one I have open at the time (where the document is actually located). This is very frustrating. The project I open should save to the file I opened to find it. I have spent a lot of time retracing my steps to find out what file I had opened previously to locate my errant project. Idea: please fix this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Indd file size optimization

The filesize of the .indd file increases with every new linked image and is not reset after deleting old images from the workspace.
    If you use the save as function and overwrite the file, the size of the .indd file is much smaller (like 190 MB before and 12 MB after).

InDesign should clean up the file with every normal saving process !

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bugs with GPU, Bugs without GPU (zoom, moving objects, create text)

(Working on Adobe InDesign 14.0.2.)

Hi there,

so for a couple of weeks, my Indesign behaves quite badly.
    For demonstration purposes, I created a new blank file but these bugs also occur in existing work projects.

Case 1: GPU switched on (Image: GPU on):
    Zooming does not show any effect, only when I click in and change something. The rulers change, but my board/document is not zooming in (Video: Zooming with GPU). As soon as I found my page, the objects don't really move that well, more in a lagging, stocking way. (Video: Moving Objects with GPU).

This leads to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base