Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign freezing when pressing backspace in a text box of more than 500 or 600 words

This only seems to be a problem when using long text boxes more than a few hundred words. InDesign starts to slow down while I'm typing, but if I then select text or press backspace (mostly the latter) then InDesign freezes for 10 to 15 seconds.

I've searched the problem, but the only solution I have found is to try closing the info panel, but this seems to be a CS3 fix and doesn't work.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. The order of Arabic digits is reversed when changing their character direction

1. Adobe InDesign CC 2017.1

2. Create a textbox, type Arabic characters including some digits. Change character direction from 'Default' to 'Right to Left'.

3. Arabic letters are RTL, but Arabic digits are written LTR; So when you change character direction to RTL, they should be in their right direction.

4. Letters are RTL, but digits are reversed. The problem is that Arabic script is written RTL, but its digits' direction is LTR. Just like when you move caret and logically it moves in correct direction.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Shortcuts messed up after update to CC

InDesign CC 12.1.0.56 (2017.1)
    MacOS Sierra 10.12.5

(1) The default super- and subscript shortcuts (cmd+shift+= and ctrl+cmd+shift+=) do not work on mac num keyboard. Had to change shortcuts.
    (2) When using the default shortcut for italics (cmd+shift+I) the text is changed to "Heavy Italic" instead of "Italic" with the (legal) Avenir Next font family.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Hyperlinks

I use a lot of hyperlinks in a document which link to the individual products on our website for online ordering and stock levels.

The Hyperlink panel frequently corrupts - I lose the ‘traffic light’ link status indicator and location of the link (page No.) - meaning I have to remove InDesign and execute a clean install to get the feature back.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Czech Winsoft dictionary is broken: all lowercase words are marked as misspelled (CC2020)

The spellcheck of Czech text is not working correctly if you select Winsoft dictionary in all versions of CC2020: it marks all words starting with lower case letter as wrong and recommends capitalising ALL words. Unfortunately the Winsoft dictionary is the only option for Czech language as both Hunspell and Proximity are really bad.
    1 Type Czech text
    2 Set Winsoft dictionaries in InDesign preferences
    3 Run spell checker
    4 All words in lowercase will be marked as misspelled (each word is treated as if it stands at the beginning of a sentence)

Expected result: see CS6, Winsoft dictionaries work…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Text rendering bug – the edited text is rendered over older version of the text

I work on a book. While editing the book, I face constant rendering issues: the updated text is rendered on top of the unaltered text. It happens irregularly many times a day. The problem is not document oriented nor platform specific. I started to make screenshots in March and the bug is still present.
    It is very annoying. The only solution is to switch to Selection tool and the change select the Text tool. If you seriously edit a document and you face rendering bugs every five minutes, it is pain **********.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. optical margin alignment and index entry

I have optical margin alignment turned on. When I add an index entry, if the line it is in has a margin adjustment on the left side, then the right edge of the line becomes indented the same amount as the adjustment. I am currently using ID 15.1.1, but I have seen this error since at least CS 6.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Auto-activate fonts tries to activate a font that doesn't exist, forever

With the new auto-activation of fonts, my InDesign seems to try to activate 'Bureau Grot', which so far as I can tell, isn't an Adobe font. Does it constantly in the background and there's no way to cancel it/tell it it's barking up the wrong tree...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Menu item "Convert footnotes and endnotes" missing

Although my software is up to date, the option "Convert footnotes to endnotes" is missing from my "Type" menu item (image). The interface is in portuguese, but you can see there are only four itens on the footnote/endnote area, the fifth ("Convert footnote to endnote") is really missing...
    I tried unistalling and installing InDesign again from Creative Cloud but it didn´t solve this issue. This menu item is also unavailable on Edit>Menus...
    System: Windows 10 / 64 bits
    Adobe Indesign (2020): 15.1.1 x64

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Kerning Drop Cap Bug // Indesign 2020 (15.11)

Indesign 2020 (15.11) Adjusting the Space Between my Drop Cap and the Next Letter with kerning doesn't work.

Nothing happens when i want to adjust the space between the drop cap character and the next character?

It works just fine just one character further along, and between the character before (The drop cap spans over two characters)?

So it seems

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. anchored, free positioned object inside text frame is wrongly wrapped

And this is old bug.
    1. place a graphic inline at the start of paragraph,
    2. switch on "wrap around" in "text wrap" options
    3. make place for graphic making apriopriate left indent for paragraph.
    Whole text in paragraph is indented reflecting the shape of wrapped object

This bug was once repaired few years ago, but now it returned.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 서체 누락 & 텍스트와 아이콘 이미지 겹침

서체 누락 & 텍스트와 아이콘 이미지 겹침

인디자인2020 - ver. 15.03 x 64

해당문제 언어: Thai

1. 글꼴이 누락되었다고 함.

2. 태국어 글자와 아이콘 겹침 오류

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. BUG - Text wrap around image ok in 15.0.1, broken in >= 15.0.2 when changing text color

1. InDesign 15.0.1 (ok), 15.0.2 and higher (broken)

2. Change text color in document

3. Expected result: change of text color

4. Actual result: changed text color and broken layout

5. see screenshots

Additional info: the same document is working perfectly well in 15.0.1 but broken in 15.0.2 and higher, running on macOS 10.14.6.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Misplaced dots in Nastaleeq Font rendering

I'm using Adobe Indesign 2020 for an Urdu book. Most text is in Urdu and my font of choice is Mehr Nastaleeq. The text looks fine in MS Word using the font (see attached image) but In Design is not rendering certain words correctly (see attached image).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Alternate filling function of table rows doesn't work on styled cells

Please see the attached video to fully understand what is the issue about: the alternate filling function doesn't work on previously styled cells.

PS: Your server didn't allow me to upload the .indd file where the bug appeared and displayed the following error message: «Invalid file type: .indd files not allowed.» I can't believe my eyes. This is incredible! It's impossible to upload an .indd file on the bugs forum of InDesign! How ironic.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Long Text Variables kern instead of return to new line

Indesign 2020
    When using text variables with a bounding box that is too short for the line to fit, the line of dynamic text will squeeze together in order to fit instead of dropping to a new line. It would be nice if the line will drop down to a new line as normal text does in a text box.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Text frame options: Individual inset spacing when rounded corners are enabled

Currently the text frame options do not allow different inset spacing on each side if a rounded corner is applied to the text frame.

We are trying to create a template that has a text box with a gradient background and a rounded corner that bleeds off the page. We need to set the inset to push the inset spacing on one side further than the rest to fit within the page margins, but with the rounded corner this is not possible.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bugs with Whitespaces in Justification’s Composer when work with Thai language and other issues

As my report on bug with text wrapping in 2020 version (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/38998636-bug-with-world-ready-composer-when-use-space-like). Many of issues were fixed, but some still remain.
    Before going to the issue in the title of the post, I want to specify some issue that doesn’t fix form my last report. If you see on the attachment img 02, you will see the issue about text encoding (it just only my suspicion) that happen when you just copy and paste text (specifically in Thai) form 2020 version to 2019 or to another text editor. After I had pasted text into TextEdit (you can…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)