Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

921 results found

1. InDesign 2023 (18.0)

When attempting to switch the font family, the font menu jumps all the way to the top of the list instead of moving up to the previous font family in the list.

Hack solution: If you choose a different weight and then attempt to change the font family, the font menu works correctly and doesn't jump to the top.

This makes 2023 unusable, downgrading until fixed.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Quranic annotation signs not working in Indesign

Hi. Standard Pakistani Quranic text is not rendered properly in Indesign because it is unable to handle a Unicode block correctly (see attachments)

Version of Adobe InDesign:
    2021 16.3.2

Steps to reproduce the issues:
    To recreate this problem, download the font 'PakType Naskh Basic' from link below:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/paktype/files/latest/download

For Quranic text sample, use text from link below:
    https://svn.code.sf.net/p/paktype/code/Fonts/Deployment/Sura-Fatiha.html

I hope this bug is fixed as soon as possible because we Pakistanis need to compose standardized Quran in Indesign. Thank you.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Hyphenation at page break while option »Hyphenate Across Column« is not selected

InDesign 16.0.2
    InDesign 13.1.1

The option not to "Hyphenate Across Column" in hyphenation settings does not seem to work reliably. Not in InDesign CC 2018 and not in InDesign CC 2021.
    Sometimes it is ignored and sometimes it is taken into account. See the appended screenshots.
    With each recomposing of the text/stories, the behaviour can change: sometimes this way and sometimes that way.
    Please make the behaviour computable.

Kind regards
    Martin Fischer

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Variable Font: top of "U" wiggles as you change weight (FreeType bug)

1. Download and unzip https://www.dropbox.com/s/3b6k0izkm5ma3dy/200719-AdobeVFBug.zip?dl=1

2. Install the font from font/DaikonVF-mini.ttf

3. Run InDesign 15.1.1

4. Type "AU" and choose the Daikon VF font

5. Click the Variable Font button and move the weight slider between the extreme locations. Observe how the top of "U" "wiggles" (jumps up and down). This is shown in videos/DaikonVF-InDesign-15.1.1.mp4

6. The same problem occurs in Illustrator 24.2.1 and I have logged it at https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/40945024-variable-font-bug-wiggling-top-of-u

7. The same problem occurs in DTL OTmaster 7.9 and in FontView 2019 (an open source app built from https://github.com/googlefonts/fontview ) — both apps use older versions of the FreeType library.

8. The problem no longer occurs in…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. placing text at cursor jumps in rtl in InDesign 15.1.1.103

When placing a story at cursor using a right-to-left story frame, the cursor is in the wrong place.

This has also been filed as Bug ID-4219127

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are reviewing it

-InDesign Team

6. Add the zero-width space (Unicode 200B​) in Insert White Space sub-menu

Please add a new entry in the [Insert White Space] submenu for a [Zero-Width Space]. The Unicode 200B character.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Bugs with Whitespaces in Justification’s Composer when work with Thai language and other issues

As my report on bug with text wrapping in 2020 version (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/38998636-bug-with-world-ready-composer-when-use-space-like). Many of issues were fixed, but some still remain.
    Before going to the issue in the title of the post, I want to specify some issue that doesn’t fix form my last report. If you see on the attachment img 02, you will see the issue about text encoding (it just only my suspicion) that happen when you just copy and paste text (specifically in Thai) form 2020 version to 2019 or to another text editor. After I had pasted text into TextEdit (you can…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Footnotes Issue

Dear Sir or Madame,

since the automatic End-/footnotes have been implemented in indesign we have critical issues working with the program.
    We are a publishing company with several designers and do also publications with different languages (CC2014 was the last version, which worked without problems, as there have not yet been automatic footnotes).
    If we have a publication/book with two or more languages we work with different layers in indesign – for each language one layer. The problem starts, when we have also footnotes to work with. After finishing the layout in the first language, we have to duplicate the…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Black swatch in cell diagonal line is not overprint

In Table and Cells, stroke color default swatch is [Black]. In this case, overprinting is set even if the overprint check box is off.
    However, the diagonal line does not set the overprint even if [Black] swatch is applied.
    This is not set unless the check box is checked, so it must be the same as stroke because it behaves differently from stroke.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. find/change search selection changes randomly

ID 14.0.2

I use certain Find/Change queries repeatedly.

The queries are saved with the SEARCH option set to SELECTION.

Normally I select a portion of text and run the F/C query to automatically make changes.

Recently however, the query is sometimes applied to the WHOLE DOCUMENT.
    I haven't found a pattern, but maybe once out of every 4 tries. It seems it randomly defaults to SEARCH=DOCUMENT, instead of the way the query was saved.

Hope I have described it clearly enough...

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Cannot save cross-reference format with delimiter set to "false"

When creating a cross-reference format to control the appearance of a cross reference, using the <fullPara delim="" includeDelim="false"/> format refuses to save the includeDelim="false" component in the format. It will save a value of "true" but after entering false and choosing save, upon editing the reference format, the includeDelim="false" property is gone.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Keyboard input problem

Windows 10. ID 14.0.1
    This is similar to the 'missing first character' issue many of us have seen in the past. What happens, randomly, your keyboard input doesn't quite work. You can try various shortcuts and they simply will not work. You have to create (or go into) a text box, type some text.. and THEN keyboard shortcuts will suddenly work again.
    Acrobat does the same thing.
    Very annoying that when you think you've saved a file that it has NOT been saved.. you only find out when going to close a file that your 'ctrl S' did not work.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Text Frame Options, Baseline Options, First baseline, Offset setting not respected

InDesign is changing the Text Frame Options / First Baseline / Offset to the default on existing documents.
    I open a document where nearly all my text boxes were set to "Cap Height" and they have all been turned to "Ascent" and now no longer fit in their text boxes. I have to open a Text Frame Options, click Baseline Options tab, and pull down the First Baseline, Offset to Cap height FOR EVERY PAGE, (after selecting all and changing to the direct selection tool)!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. InDesign is unusable after the latest update (13.1) with spell checking and hyphenation is set to Hungarian / Winsoft.

InDesign is unusable after the latest update (13.1) if spell checking and hyphenation is set to Hungarian / Winsoft. All words are underlined as incorrectly spelled, hyphenation dosen't work, InDesign hangs. If I open a documents saved before the update InDesign displays the document, than hangs.

OS Sierra 10.26.6

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve been able to reproduce the issue and it is currently under investigation.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

15. Spelling Language - everything switched to English (UK) but keeps Arabic

I have switched Preferences and all other options to English (UK) but the Check Spelling sticks to Arabic. I am not able to change this setting.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Dictionary options in Preferences dialog is just for defining the chosen Language properties i.e. when you go to Preferences > Dictionary and select any language (say ‘German: Old Rules’) in Language dropdown, it does not signify that ‘German: Old Rules’ is applied or set as a language. It only signifies the User Dictionary that is used for that language, giving you the option to add more custom dictionaries. Also any changes that you make in Hyphenation, Spelling, Double Quotes and Single Quotes section in Preferences > Dictionary would pertain to that Language only. To use those settings you have to manually apply the Language from Control panel/Character panel or from Paragraph/Character Style to the text.

You can verify this by following steps:

Go to Preferences > Dictionary and select ‘German: Old Rules’, etc. in Language dropdown.
    Change Spelling or Hyphenation setting and click OK.
    Now create a text frame. The…

16. running headers does not show numbers

Running headers does not show the auto numbering for a paragraph style. This would be so much better to have this rather than using a third party plug-in. The best of which is no longer supported for CC.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this issue. We have seen this issue being reported by some users ever since Paragraph Shading as a feature was introduced in InDesign.
    I have marked this issue as “Under Review” for consideration by the InDesign team.

-Aman

18. footnote

Does InDesign plan to update its footnote options so that a single column text can have 2-column footnotes at the bottom?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Undo does not work properly on deleted text, it only deletes one character at a time instead of whole block of text

I am on a Mac and this is a problem with InDesign 2018.

If you backspace delete two or more characters from text, undo (Ctrl+Z) only restores one character at a time instead of the whole block that was deleted in that action.

Undo worked fine in previous versions of InDesign, and it works fine in Word and other apps.

I have tried deleting InDesign preferences and caches and even reinstalled it with import previous prefereces unchecked, but the problem remains, and I cannot find any solution. Can someone please help?

Macbook Air now running High Sierra 10.13.2 (but problem…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Discretionary Line Break doesn't work in CC 2018

In InDesign CC 2018, text won't automatically break where a Discretionary Line Break is inserted—such as after an Em-dash. This feature worked in InDesign CS6.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 46 47
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base