Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. page range for publishment in 'share for review' is set by last print/export job

When sharing for review, the published document can be limited to a certain page range, because it takes that setting from the last print/export job. The only workaround is to first reset that range in the print/export window. Then publish for review to see all of the pages.

Being able to select what pages to share (or not) would be a nice feature in the 'share for review' interface. This way, I would not have to make versions, separating artwork ready for review, and artwork that is not.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Share for review

During this pandemic, I'm am trying to use the 'share for review' feature for a book I'm laying out. It is 600 pages, 300 spreads, about 333 MB file. It includes images and text.
    I've designed other books -- the printer had no problem with the files
    I'm using a Mac with InDesign 15.1.
    When I tried to share the file, 4 pages - 2 spreads uploaded. I tried again and 8 pages - 4 spread, appeared for sharing. I didn't choose them, it is what InDesign randomly chose.
    As an experiment, I created another file and tried to upload…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

FIXED  ·  2 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Images corrupted after 15.1

After the update to 15.1, a majority of embedded images in tables got corrupted. The damage done to the images is unfixable.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Cannot place this file. Invalid PNG file

In 15.0.3, my publication was print ready

I updated to 15.1 as I normally would.

In 15.1, particular .png files were missing. I tried to place the missing images as usual but got the error - Cannot place this file. Invalid PNG file'.

I rolled back to 15.0.3 and am now able to place the self same files.

Update bug?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Export to PDF function crash in InDesign 15.1

Today I have updated to InDesign 15.1 and when I try to export to PDF the application immediately crash.

This happen even I change the type of export (small dimension, print, etc.).

I'm using windows 10 pro ver. 1909 build 18363.836, and Indesign 15.1 x64.

The system start to work but the application crash at 16% of the export.

The problem seems connected with something on the file, because I try to export another project and it work perfectly.

The file was all "green" in the preliminary checks panel.

And I notice that the system crash also using other function,…

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. ID 2020 15.1 - All text variables (including page numbers) replaced by "ss" text

Just updated to ID 2020 15.1 and found a bug which makes the program unusable forcing me to immediately downgrade.
    When I open on of my ID documents created in previous version of ID, all of my defined text variables as well as page numbers are corrupted and replaced by the "ss" text. Changing the style has no effect. I can create page number based on the 'Basic Paragraph' style but when i choose any other previously created style, the number changes to 'ss'.
    Even the variable field preview shows 'ss' text instead of variable name.
    The same document opens…

208 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

120 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. AdobeFnt.lst automatically reappears after deleting

InDesign version: 15.0.2

Suddenly (after the latest March 2020 InDesign update?) the AdobeFont.lst file created with InDesign packages automatically shows up with folder structure after deleting a package. This is really aggravating for file management. It's as if my team can't fully delete InDesign packages. This is happening with multiple InDesign files on multiple machines.

131 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

138 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Spell Check does not work after installing InDesign 15.0.2

Dear Adobe Team,
    in our office we use In Design from several years without nothing problems.

Yesterday we had updated the version 15.0.2. After that, the spell-check (we use the Italian language) don’t work if we import text in a existing document.

But if we import text in a new document, the spell-check work without problems.

Please can you help us?

209 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

150 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. InDesign 2020 v15.01 makes corrupt documents when using Alternate Layout

The "Create Alternate Layout" in indesign 2020 v15.01 is toxic.

After using it, chances are high that documents will at some later stage become corrupt. It may manifest itself by crashing on copy/paste or just a spinning beachball of death (Mac).

I have seen this on at least 20 different documents since upgrading from version 2019 to version 2020 (15.0.1). We never used version 15.0.

This is my guess on what happens:
    Using "Create Alternate Layout" it will make some of the Paragraph Styles corrupt. Version 2020 seems to crash (beachball) whenever one of these are accessed. This might very…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. long text variable

InDesign (2020) crashes on opening IDML file with to long text variable as header. It worked in InDesign 2019.
    InDesign (2020) kraschar vid öppnande av IDML-fil som innehåller textvariabel med för mycket text. Det fungerade i InDesign 2019.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Restore video from URL media option

For some unexplained reason the Video from URL option has been removed from InDesign 2020. This needs to be restored ASAP as there are people using this feature.

Moveover, it needs a minor improvement to allow HTTPS links (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/37474690-place-a-video-from-a-url-with-https).

It was a big mistake to not query the community before removing this and it should be a simple thing to restore.

271 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

111 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. IDML: missing Font Style property in Character Style after export

Version: InDesign CC 2020 15.0.1

How to reproduce the bug:
    1. Create a Character Style with "Bold" Font Style and apply it to a word/character range
    2. Save in INDD file format
    3. Export the IDML
    4. Open the IDML and you will notice that the bold property for the Character Style was lost

Expected result: the Character Style should be the same as in the original INDD file

Actual result: the "bold" property was lost during the export process. The INDD file is fine.

I verified that InDesign CC 2019 14.0.3 is not affected by this bug.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Can't copy paste elements in Indesign 2020 - results in crash

When I try to copy some elements a message appears that I'm tryging to paste something, but I'm tryging to copy. If I press ok then it crashes. So, again, if I press CMD-C for copy, then I get the message that I'm about to paste something.. PLEASE FIX it soon - what ever it is..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.2

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the update process.

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Data Merge function "Honor existing frame fitting option" is not working on master pages

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server

Adobe InDesign 15.0.1

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

iMac 27 Zoll End 2012

Steps to reproduce the issues
    See also attached video

Open the file > 01ExposeTEMPXMLStart.indd
    Generate a merged document by clicking the button
    Choose "Honor existing frame fitting" in Content Placement Options
    Click [OK]
    Jump to page 1 in the merged document
    The pictures are placed without honoring the existing frame fitting options from the object style
    This only happens with frames that are placed on a master page. The same frame on a document page works…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Links export to PDF creates "Null Alt Text" attribute in tagged PDF

When an ID 15 file with hyperlinks is exported to Tagged PDF, unless you assign alternative text to the Links in ID, the Link tags will have a "null text" attribute which prevents the content of the Link tag from being read by a screen reader. This is a problem for several reasons. Not everyone chooses to add alternative text to hyperlinks. It's a UA, but not a WCAG 2 requirement. An automated accessibility checker like Acrobat's or even PAC is not going to flag this. Most people do not do a "Jaws check" of the PDF they are remediating…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Adding text to "chained" anchored textframes causing complete crash when text is added to one of the first three frames

Indesign 2020, Version 15.0.1, iMac with Mac OS 10.15.1:

We have hundreds of documents created in Indesign 2019 with "chained" anchored textframes, sometimes 4, sometimes 5 frames in a row. Frames are set to automatical height adjust. When text is added to one of the first three frames causing the frame to become higher than before Indesign chrashes completely without warning. Adding text to frame 4 or 5 does NOT create a crash! Same files work perfectly under Indesign 2019. Problem occured with first version of Indesign 2020, and remains after recent update.

Would love to attach an Indesign testfile,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Balance Columns Not Working for Tables

Balance Columns does not work for Tables.

Steps to duplicate:
    1. Create a large Text Frame with two columns.
    2. Enable Balance Columns on that Text Frame.
    3. Create a Table in the Text Frame with a number of rows, say 10 rows.
    4. Add a paragraph break, or return.
    5. Create a line of Text under that Table that spans columns.
    The Table ignores the Balance Columns Setting.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Column Rule colour is inconsistent vs. Fill and Stroke

The colour applied to a Column Rule is darker than elsewhere applied, e.g., Fills and Strokes.

1. New file.

2. Draw a text frame (no text needed) and set the Columns to 2 and turn ON the Column Rule with default values. However, set the Colour to 10% Black.

3. Set the Fill and the Stroke of the text frame to the very same 10% Black.

Notice that the Column Rule is darker than the Fill and Stroke. It shouldn't be.

Hope this helps.

Allan

P.S. See the attached screenshot - I'm using Magenta rather than Black. Same results.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Column Rule disappears when grouped objects **with Text Wrap** are moved/nudged

Firstly, let me just say a BIG thanks for introducing Column Rules in CC 2020.

However, I've found a couple of problems so far.

1. New File

2. Draw a text frame (no text needed) and set the Columns to 2, and turn ON the Column Rule (all basic, default values).

3. Draw another text or graphic frame (doesn't matter which) and place it anywhere (doesn't matter if it overlays the text frame, or not).

4. Group the two objects.

5. HERE IS THE KEY STEP: With the group selected, turn on Text Wrap (doesn't matter which... anything other than 'None').

6. Move the group ANY…
    2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base