Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6476 results found

1. missing dialog box

When i clicked on the effect (example; gradient feather) for my image, there is no dialog box popping out. I'm unable to click on other tools and I've to use the escape key to close the 'invisible' dialog box before I can use the other tools. Hence, I'm unable to apply any effect on my image.

I'm using the Indesign CC (13.0.1) on Windows.

It feels like it's a programme bug. I've tried to reinstall the programme but it still persists.

Please assist.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Hyperlink shows up red in hyperlinks panel despite the URL working

The following URL shows up in the hyperlinks panel as red (meaning it should not work) but actually works when a PDF is made:
    https://academic.oup.com/journals
    This is the same for any links based on the above URL.
    Is there anything that would cause this?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. InDesign crashes when highlighting open Acrobat comment text

This is a wild one that has happened multiple times now. InDesign will crash on my machine in the following specific circumstance:
    1) I have a text box selected in a file that I want to copy text into,
    2) I navigate to an ultimately unconnected PDF in Acrobat that has text I want to copy from,
    3) the PDF has an open comment box with currently highlighted text,
    4) I try to highlight other text within the comment box in order to copy that instead,
    5) and InDesign crashes hard (closes completely).

In case it matters, InDesign crashes before…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. data merge to PDF: page numbers (generated with current page number marker) don't increase

To recreate this bug:
    1) Make a new print document 8 pages long (doesn't matter if pages are facing or not) A4 or letter size (this doesn't matter either)
    2) Go to the master page and somewhere on the master page, add a new text frame and within that frame, add an auto page number.
    3) In a text editor, create the following file for test purposes and save it with the name "test.txt" - (cut and paste the next five lines of text):
    name
    Colin
    David
    Jose
    Max
    4) Return to InDesign, go to the data merge palette and…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Creative Cloud

I have Creative Cloud installed, but can't use it from within InDesign- the panel window says I don't have it installed. This is a bug. I voted when somebody else reported it, but it isn't fixed.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. crash on create merged document

Indesign 2018 cc on mac os 10.12.6, crash on "create merged document" in data merge menu if more than approx 100 records in data file . "export to pdf" works. We have some files that need editing after merge so need this to work. Worked before 2018 update on same files that are causing crashes now. Seems to crash at point its going from a temp file to creating the finished file after the merge has happened. Tries unsucessfully to "recover" a temp file on startup after crash. Is entirely repeatable. System and user usage together never goes above 60%…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

7. Basic Functionality breaking on each update

i am really annoyed that Indesign keeps breaking basic functionality when it makes an update. I have used paste without formatting for years without incidence and now it doesn't always work when I need it.

Typing in new frames requires 2 clicks and requires a tweak to the settings to work right?!

I don't want any new functionality if it is going to break things like typing and pasting, many things that used to be one click are now many. That is not how this should work!!!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. After pressing "Cancel" in "Relink..." dialog, the item is no longer selected in the Links panel

1. InDesign 13.1 x64, WIndows 10
    2. Select an image on the page, and it is highlighted in the links panel. Press "Relink...". Press "Cancel".
    3. The link should be highlighted in the links palette so I could press "Relink..." again immediately
    4. The frame is still selected but the image is no longer highlighted in the Links panel. You have to deselect the frame and re-select it (or manually click the link in the panel) to highlight it again.
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Edit with other - doesn't see Photoshop as an application

I use the Indesign feature on the links menu to Edit With, either using the default application or another. We just updated to the latest CC (ps, il, in) and the other application isn't the same. For any jpg or pdf, it shows Photoshop or illustrator or Acrobat as available to open the image selected. However, if I select an ai. file, it shows Illustrator as the default, and Preview as another option - no Photoshop. I select Other to add Photoshop, go to the applications folders, click on Photoshop and it's only seeing it as a folder, not as…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Indesign CS6 crash when I type or cancel text in table

I have problem with Indesign CS& tested with WIN7 or WIN10 with 2 different machine ... when I type or cancel text in table the program crash.
    I try to reinstall and I download last update but the problem is the same.
    I want buy a new version CC2018 but I tested TRIAL VERSION and the problem is the same.
    There is a person in ADOBE that can solve me this question ?
    I can send him a zip file created with LOG COLLECTOR TOOL.
    Thank you in advance. Best regards.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. type tool stops working / document freezes

My Type / Text Frame button randomly stops working and then the whole document freezes. I then exit out of the document, open it again and it either works for a few edits until it freezes again or I need to close/open numerous times until it works. I've done all the updates and this has been happening for a few weeks.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. eyedropper tool

Adobe InDesign CC 2017 (also 2018) The eyedropper tool does not work on text, when there is a second layer with data in it. On the screenshot I tried to make the text green.
    When the red layer is turned off, it works properly.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Character and paragraph don't show options

Hi guys,

It's been a month since my InDesign doesn't open character and paragraph tool at work, can anyone help me ? Screen attached

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Indesign unable to open few Indesign files

InDesign is not able to open Indesign files. Says its may not support file format.
    We have reinstalled Adobe Indesign and it doesn't help.
    InDesign files can be viewed as pdf and opened in Adobe illustrator but can't open the original files.
    How do we work around this.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 'Move Pages' causes the position of content to shift to the right on right-side pages, master same for both files

'Move Pages' causes the position of content to shift to the right on right-side pages, even though the master pages are the same for both files.

I am trying to take several page sets and combine them in one file, but I have to manually fix them after moving the pages over. Very concerning as I'm not sure if anything else is breaking or getting lost in the move.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. gpu

system: mac-osx-10.12.6 (sierra)
    software: indesign-cs6 ver 8.0
    software: indesign-cc(2018) ver 13.0.0

when in gpu-preview mode … center-line 'node' does not appear. when in cpu-preview mode … center-line 'node' does appear. the center-line 'node' has appeared in cs-versions and previous versions … and disappeared in the cc-versions.

i have outlined the steps, and included screen-caps, to reproduce the issue within my post to adobe-forums:
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2492437

further info about my environment:
    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac18,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. InCopy assignment names don't change with file name

Backstory:
    We have particularly formatted files that we use to create new versions for new products. The copy isn't created new, but modified from the old version that was already used in InCopy.

The Issue:
    My InCopy guy FREAKS OUT when he sees the name of the assignment assets (attached screenshot) are that of a previous project not at all related to the file he's currently working on.

The Long and Complicated Solutions:
    I know there's a way in InCopy to rename these, but it's long, complicated and outside of a standard workflow. A shorter and easier method would be…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Dictionary Hyphenation in Uppercase ignored (German)

Custom hyphenation settings are ignored for uppercase words in user dictionary (at least in german).

Example:
    dictionary entry: "kro~~~nach" (select field "case-sensitive" not set)

Expected behaviour:

Lorem ipsum Kro-
    nach dolor sit amet kro-
    nach

Actual behaviour:

Lorem ipsum Kron-
    ach dolor sit amet kro-
    nach

Workaround:

Enabling "Case-sensitive" and adding lowercase and uppercase version leads to correct hyphenation.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Indesign crashes when I export 2 PDF files in a row.

I always create two PDF files for clients. One with spreads and one with single pages. But every time I try to export the second PDF (no matter which I do first) the app crashes.

This happens every single time, even if I wait until the first PDF is long finished.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Publish Online Dashboard empty

My Publish Online Dashboard doesn't show any of my publications (the section "Document Trends" remains totally empy after I publish or update a document. Though I manage to push the documents online and the share-link URLs do work.

Thx in advance for your concern

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base