Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6508 results found

1. Spell Check changing to Catalan (Spanish) half-way through

Spell check is changing from English to Catalan on a particular page of my document every time I check it. I have tried changing it back and will select English and then it will still say Catalan and try to change all of my words to Spanish.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Apply Overrides to style using option click not working

1. InDesign CC2019
    2. option-clicking on a style sheet should apply it with clear overrides.
    3. it doesn’t. You have to right click on it to Apply ‘style’ clear overriders
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. InDesign 14.0.1 is crashing hourly

For three days my InDesign 14.0.1 has been crashing almost exactly hourly. It just freezes and I get the spinning beachball. Only recourse is to re-start my Mac. I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Prior to this, I had downloaded Lightroom... I thought this might have been the initial cause. I uninstalled Lightroom and all my Adobe products. Any ideas?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. XMP file info dialog box (for linked images) no longer shows up

I clicked the flyout menu in the Links panel, and choose to display the XMP file info and the dialog box doesn't show up. It's like it is off screen somewhere, as all the menus are then grayed out. I can hit Escape a few times to get out of it. But sometimes InDesign totally locks up and I have to force quit.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Working in InDesign 14.01 on an imac Retina 5K, 4 GHz intel core i7. MacOS Mojave versjon 10.14.1.

Working in InDesign 14.01
    On an imac Retina 5K, 4 GHz intel core i7.
    MacOS Mojave versjon 10.14.1.

In Design is so super slow for me.
    I´ve updated everything, and still its superslow.

I work on a lot of large documents and some of them I can't even open up. It just crashes or takes for ever to get something done!! Frustrating!!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Keyboard Shortcut Ctrl+Shft+G (Ungroup) acts strange

In Windows 10, Indesign 14.0:

Ungrouping with keyboard shortcut only works when I:

1. hold Ctrl+LeftShift,

2. then touch RightShift (while holding Ctrl+LeftShift) (????)

3. press G (while still holding Ctrl+LeftShift)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. No Hyphenation in CC 2019 (ver. 14)

Hi there – it seems that the CC 2019 (v. 14) can't Hyphenate. I use – without luck – the checkbox in the Control Panel. Have I missed a secret Button?

Mac Book Pro - Mac OS Sierra - ver. English International -

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. PDF comments panel starts scrolling on it's own

At random the panel starts scrolling whenever the mouse is over the panel.

Moving the mouse off the panel for a few seconds usually stops it and I can continue working

On OSx and 2019

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. properties panel is lagging

I like the new properties panel, but it seems to be a little bit laggy.
    If the properties panel ist active, and I’m clicking on a text frame or image eg. it is lagging a little bit. If the panel is close, there is no issue.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. InDesign 2019 scrubby zoom no longer works (command + space + click)

Prior to InDesign 2019, you can press command + spacebar + click to be able to activate the scrubby zoom feature.

Now when you press command + spacebar + click you just draw a box that once you unclick, it zooms to that space... Very undesirable..

Did a preference change on the update somewhere that I don't know about? Because I can not find this feature in the Preferences now.

Please advise.

Thanks.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The feature you are talking about is called ‘Animated Zoom’ (it’s Mac only feature).
    It is turned ON by default on Mac machines having a GPU card with a compatible monitor attached.
    Check the Document Name in its tab – does it say ‘GPU Preview’? If not, press Shift+E to switch to this mode.
    Also, check under Preferences > GPU Performance and see if ‘Animated Zoom’ is checked ON. It should be enabled for this feature to work.

Adobe InDesign team

11. Cell styles are not selected in the panel when applied through a Table style

InDesign CC 2018
    Set up a table style and apply it to a table.
    In the Table style, define a Cell style to be used.
    In the CELL style, define a Paragraph style to be used. In the same Cell style also set a Text inset (to be sure you see that the cell style is in effect).

Now put the text cursor inside a table cell, and notice how the currect Table style is selected in the Table styles panel, and also the correct paragraph Style in the Paragraph Panel.
    But in the Cell Style panel, there is no…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. two font sizes listed in character panel

I am applying a paragraph style and for some reason the font size was not changing to the size specified. There is no character style applied to the text to override the paragraph style. I did notice that my character panel showed two font sizes, with the second size, the one I want, in parenthesis. Not sure what is going on here.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The font size in parentheses is the new font size when the document has been resized using Liquid Layout’s Scale rule. The font size outside the parentheses is the original font size – that is, it looks like this:
    Original Font Size(New Font Size) – eg., 12 pt(8.1).
    Have you selected an Alternate Layout page where this rule was applied?

Adobe InDesign team

13. library

the drag-and-drop function no longer works in the library in the new Adobe Indesign cc 2019 14.0

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. File Info (description) on placed photographs in indesign CC 14 is unable to be copied to clipboard when selected.

File Info (description) on placed photographs in indesign CC 14 is unable to be copied to clipboard when selected. This means we are unable to caption images using metadata in our newsroom workflow. Is anyone else having this issue.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Copy in Indesign layout is menu clicked "All Caps". PDF comments does not work. Only when copy is set to normal

When my copy in Indesign layout is menu clicked "All Caps" from tool bar or Character menu. I make a change request in the PDF. Like "remove" a word. Then Import the PDF comments. Accept does not work. The only time it works is if the copy is set to regular copy or if you type the copy in "All Caps". No menu changes.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

16. CC 2019 Repeated Crashing when switching to the text tool from the move tool

Experiencing repeated crashes when selecting the Text tool. Does not happen every time, but has happened at least 5 times in the last 10 minutes. Windows 10, newest version of CC2019.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

17. Document size change/Master page elements appearing on pages where no master page is applied

When changing the page size in Document Setup and ensuring that adjust layout is not selected, master page elements are showing up on pages where master pages are not applied.

Version: INDD CC 2019

Steps to Reproduce: (this does not happen in all cases) In this instance, I changed the document page size in document set up and ensured "Adjust layout" was not selected.

Expected Result: The document page size would change throughout, keeping the same layout as/properties as before.

Actual Result: Master page elements were applied to pages that did not have the master page applied (i.e. header on…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

18. PDF

When placing a PDF of stylized text into ID2019, some text flips upside down. But it works fine in ID2018.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

19. AIGPUSNIFFER NOT WORKING CC2018 MOJAVE 10.14

Io lavoro con un iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) , macoli Mojave 10.14, 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096MB, e quando apro INDESIGN CC2018 mi appare sempre AIGPUSNIFFER che non funziona.

Cosa posso fare?

Grazie

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. tool

When working with Indesign CC2018 and still in CC2019 on Mac. I can't use the Toolbox/bar on my second monitor connected to my MacBook. When the Toolbox is placed/locked on to the left hand side of the screen, the submenus of all tools (Type, Pen, Pencil etc.) don't open on my secondary monitor, but semi randomly are placed on the display of my MacBook. the only way to "fix" this is to place the Toolbox on the MacBook's display, but that's not the way to go about it...
    It has something to do with different resolutions of the two screens,…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base