Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Media panel crash

I’m using Indesign 2020 and every time I go to window<interactive<media and the panel opens the second I click it it becomes huge and then Indesign freezes

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

13 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2020.0.1 with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

• Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Copying anchored object from one ID doc to another crashes ID 15.0 on WIN 10

An anchored object text frame, with content and formatting copied from one ID Doc to another, will crash ID (15.0 x64 WIN 10). Same action in ID (14.03) works perfectly.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2020.0.1 with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Eyedropper bug — attribute pick-up is glitched by hidden layers above

If there are objects overlapping and above the source for the eyedropper tool, — even if those objects are on a hidden layer — the tool picks up a color of no fill and no stroke.

If the hidden layer is dropped below the target layer, the problem goes away.

These observations are based on original input by Bill Silbert in this User Forum discussion:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-cc-2020-eyedropper-problem-turning-text-to-no-color/m-p/10765424#M165918

InDesign versions v14 through v15

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 2020 Pages Window Broken

Ever since updating to Indesign 2020 the pages window just doesn't work. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling a number of times but no matter what I do it just shows it as completely blank. This makes it extremely difficult to access anything, let alone my master pages.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InDesign crashes when adding Cross-Reference

Adobe InDesign CC 14.0 (Macintosh)

I click Window > Type & Tables > Cross-References. With my cursor in a text box, I click "Create new cross-reference". Sometimes it crashes here; sometimes it opens the dialog.

When it opens the dialog, there is nothing in the Cross-Reference Format dropdown. I can click the pencil and open the Cross-Reference Format dialog and create a new format, but when I click OK the whole program crashes and closes out.

I am not experiencing freezing where I need to force-close -- it closes out completely, immediately.

I created a blank doc and am able…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. crash Indesign CC 2020 – Mojave 10.14.6

Hi,

I have the following situation.

Still working on Mojave 10.14.6, but using Indesign 2020.
    (iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017, iMac18.3, Intel Core i5, 16GB 2400MHz DDR4)
    As a precaution, I did not want to upgrade to Catalina 15.00 until I completed my current work.

Description of the Indesign file:
    Folder, 20 pages, complex data from Photoshop and Illustrator, various layers in Indesign.

Situation in Indesign 2020:
    unexpected, frequent crashes, especially when copying and pasting elements, when scrolling quickly within pages or when creating PDFs.

Situation in Indesign 2019:
    I then created an idml-file and opened it in Indesign 2019.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. Crashing when changing paragraph style

Every time I change the paragraph style on my document, indesign crashes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Indesign 2020 Crashing when deleting color swatches

Indesign 2020 has been repeatedly crashing when a color swatch (or multiple swatches) in a document are deleted and replaced with an existing swatch. Indesign crashes the moment "ok" is pressed on the "Delete Swatches" popup.

This has been happening since I updated to InDesign 2020, approximately 10 times in the past week, most, but not every, time that I delete swatches. This has happened in multiple documents, regardless of whether it is a single swatch or group of swatches being deleted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Problem with Object and Table menu

I'm running the latest version of InDesignCC 2020 v.15.0. Every time I go to the Object or Table menu, InDesign crashes. This happens every time, I had that problem in the previous versions of InDesign, but it is getting really bad now.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Export stops at 0%

Exporting common documents often results in a "crash" at 0%. No error comes up, it just stays at 0% indefinitely.

If I try stop the export I can't, if I try close InDesign I can't. I have to force quit the program and open it numerous times following in order to get all of my fonts back and registered... even if it's in a package.

Extremely time consuming and painful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. eye dropper causes crash

Eyedropper using within the color selection screen causes crash everytime.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Indesign freezes when loading .indd files from server

Every time I try to open a file with .indd extension from our server the program crashes-stops working, therefore I "force quit".
    It starts loading up to the point of the "missing links" notification message (if there are any) and it stops responding-freezes.

Tho when this same file is copied to the desktop it opens just fine.

Why and what is the reason and most importantly what is the solution for this problem?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when the issue was encountered?
    • Video recording of the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Incorrect re-linking of image files with rotation metadata

This bug occurs in all versions of InDesign.

InDesign reflects the EXIF orientation in the transform panel when an image file is placed. However, under the following conditions, the result of relinking will be incorrect.

• The image file is rotated 90 degrees with EXIF orientation.

• In the transform panel, the vertical and horizontal percentage values are different.

Image files taken with an iPhone often retain the EXIF orientation rotation. If such a file is placed in indd by the client and the vertical and horizontal percentage values are different, there will be a problem that will cause drastic changes in…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

We tried various scenarios with the attached file and got the following results:

1. Placed the ‘EXIF-Orientation-6.jpg’ file shared in the thread.
    -Rotation angle of the content was shown as -90°

2. Edited the .jpg file in Photoshop to just change the color and Updated the link in InDesign.
    -Rotation angle of the content was changed to 0°

3. Then placed this edited file again, as a new link, in InDesign.
    -Rotation angle was shown as 0°

Are you also seeing the same results?

-InDesign Team

15. Book / Index

Indesign 2020 15.0, Indesign CC 2019 14.0.3, Indesign CC 2018:
    Crash when generating the index in a book with many chapters.
    The book has 156 chapters (from 1 page to 30 pages) - when updating the index reproducible crash.
    The book has 822 pages.

Every time I sent an error report - no reaction. I think it depends on the number of documents.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Textwrap 2020

Textwrap from old saved document takes spacing from paragraph indent...Thus you can see the very wide right margin for image.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. PDF Export in InDesign CC 2020 (15.0) is broken

As soon as I try to export a PDF (either with File > Export or File > Adobe PDF Presets), the background task starts but hangs at 32% and never completes. When cancelling the task, it never cancels and I need to Force Quit InDesign to cancel it.

Running Catalina with the latest version of InDesign (15.0)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. shared destination hyperlinks do not get inserted into exported epub 3 (InDesign CC 2020 v15.0)

I have a document with many shared destination hyperlinks. When I go to export this document out to an epub 3 file, non of the shared destination hyperlinks are inserted into the epub file. This is a huge problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Multipage PDF Export failure -Backgrond task running constantly

PDF export constantly runs as background task with zero percent progress until I force quit InDesign, delete the temp recovery file, and delete the "zero bytes" PDF that InDesign failed to genereate. If I leave it and reexport once running InDesign again it happens again. I've found it takes deleting the recovery file (.idlk) and the PDF that has zero data at the location I tried exporting to. Once I do that it seems to work. My InDesign file is multiple pages (32). Smaller page counts and data files seem to work although my InDesign file isn't that large. Once…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Black swatch in cell diagonal line is not overprint

In Table and Cells, stroke color default swatch is [Black]. In this case, overprinting is set even if the overprint check box is off.
    However, the diagonal line does not set the overprint even if [Black] swatch is applied.
    This is not set unless the check box is checked, so it must be the same as stroke because it behaves differently from stroke.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base