Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

255 results found

1. Fix it!

Footnote symbols at the beginning and at the end of the footnote I can't delete them nor the space that associated with the damn blasted symbol.

It's just a mess. Endnotes footnotes it's a horror show to deal with them. I wasn't before but with this update---truly a horror show.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for mentioning this. Do you mean the blue braces at the end and start of endnote text?
    Those are just markers that depict the start and end of endnote text. This will not be printed or exported. helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/endnotes…

To adjust the spaces, please explore and set the Type→Document Endnote options.

Please let us know if this helps you out.

-Aman

2. Indesign CC 2017 does not accept color management

Hello!
    I work on Mac with high Sierra 10.13.2 with adobe CC 2015, 2017 and 2018.
    I have been working with Adobe for 25 years and therefore know the subject color management settings & synchronization.
    In Photoshop I have a color set made up of ECI RGB and ISOcoated v2 and other parameters such as rel.fartric with TK, etc.

Then I synced with the bridge the suite on this set. Photoshop and AI do not accept this set but InDesign does. The error message comes:

"Some parameters of the color settings file could not be used. The default values ​​are…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reporting the issue. We need some information around the issue which may help us in narrowing down the root cause:

1. Does it happen with the latest InDesign version 14.0.1 ?
    2. Is it document specific or happens with all the documents?
    3. Does it happen when you switch between Adobe applications in a specific order ?
    4. Please specify your Platform, OS version and InDesign version.

A short video depicting the issue will be very helpful.

3. Folder Aliases on Server greyed out

We have here big troubles with export, saving AND and placing in Indesign AND Illustrator.
    Since Update on CC18 and High Sierra, everytime we want to open/save/place a document, all aliases are greyed out. (connection to server)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Need More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. hyperlink

Interactive PDF not exporting hyperlinks correctly

Everytime I export an interactive PDF with hyperlinks, the links have %0D automatically at the end. The hard return code is not in the link in InDesign, I've tried to remove it several times within the working document and Acrobat with no luck. Seems to be a bug.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. InDesign version 13.0.1 x64. Dynamic spelling does not show misspelled words with red underline as you type, prefs are set to that.

InDesign version 13.0.1 x64. Dynamic spelling does not show misspelled words with red underline as you type, prefs are set to that. But if you do right mouse button, or spell check, it does know the word is misspelled, offering correction suggestions. We really need to see it "dynamically" as one types; this feature is not working.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. InDesign 2018 and High Sierra cannot export correct looking pdf

pdf will export but it exports a previously saved file. I even tried saving as a new doc and still it exports to the older art.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi

Please provide the following information:
    1. What version of InDesign CC (2018) are you using? Is it 13.0 or 13.0.1? You can verify this in the About box.
    2. What do you mean by “it still exports to the older art”? Do the linked files used older linked graphics or the file itself is exporting to an older version of the file?
    3. Is it specific to a particular file or is happening constantly with all the files?

Also, please share the file with which you are seeing the issue, as a package with all links and fonts, at anasgupt@adobe.com

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

7. gpu performance not working

This literally just started happening today. I have not installed ANY new anything.
    I'm running a new Macbook Pro (sept 2017), with 16g RAM, 2 TB SDD (with plenty of room on it) Graphics processor is Radeon Pro 560 4 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB, running High Sierra 10.13.1.
    Running latest version of InDesign CC 2018 build 13.0.1
    As of about an hour ago, I can no longer use the animated zoom or GPU performance. Everything on the screen disappears and you can see the rulers moving as I try to zoom in/out or try to scroll pages.…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi ,

Are you facing this issue for all the document. If yes, can you please send us one of your sample document for analysis. This will help us in isolating the actual root cause.
    If issue is specific to some documents then please share these documents for analysis.

You can send us your packaged document with assets to “sharewithID@adobe.com” email address.

8. For some reason my design in indesign is not fully visible when i am working on it, even when i select fast display or high quality display

it is so annoying to be working on my design and not to be able to see all of my work on my screen as so much of it is blank, and is only visible when i export it as a jpeg. THis is so unprofessional and inconsistent when trying to design that i can clearly see all of my work as i edit and improve it. Can you please investigate and improve the software so my work is visible as i continue to edit. Also have the screen is in grey and the other half in white like a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Find Missing Pathfinder

Please restore now Missing Pathfinder in CC 2018
    I teach InDesign and the practicality of Pathfinders in InDesign.
    Now it’s gone missing, no explanation !!
    Disappointed and worried. What is your point ?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. CC2018 IDML files not compatible with CS6

Clients who have CS6 can't open any IDML files I create/export in CC2018. They receive an error message saying the format is unsupported or a plug-in is missing. IDML files created/exported from an earlier version of CC (2017) work fine.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please confirm in comments if the issue has been resolved for you with the latest release of InDesign?

Thanks

11. Problem with Ctrl+A

When you select a file with more than 500 pages with the command Ctrl + A, (to export RTF) Indesign hangs for many minutes. It did not happen in previous versions. Problem detected in Win10 64bit, the last 2 versions of Indesign.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

12. The killing of hard returns in ToC

This is a new feature with version 13 ... but (I think only on WIN machines) that can not be stored with the rest of the settings. After saving and creating a table of contents, the check mark is no longer set.
    regards Frank Muenschke (IDUG Rhein/Ruhr)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Microsoft word

bug in program InDesign CC 2018 (?)

Can not import Microsoft Word file in CC 2018 (system Windows 10 Version 1703)

send a screenshot in Czech language

translate screenshot: This file can not be placed. No filter was found for the requested operation

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Need More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Custom PDF presets erased after update to CC 2018

I have several saved PDF presets for different clients. All of them had been deleted after upgrading from CC 2017 to 2018. I first thought they were simply not migrated over, but after opening InDesign CC 2017 I noticed they were gone there also! Only the default presets (High-Quality Print, etc.) were showing up in the drop-down menu. I had to go into my TimeMachine update to restore the files.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Annika

Could you please go to the following location on your system, and check whether your presets are present on your machine or not:
    /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings

Also, is there any other Adobe application that is installed on your system, like Illustrator? If yes, could you please check if your presets are shown in those applications or not.

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

15. Objects on canvas move down when new page created

Have just noticed that when I create a new page in the middle of a multipage document, objects on the canvas of following pages are all pushed down an extra page - i've screen capped before/after. I tested on two other documents and one other computer and was able to reproduce the issue every time...

Version: 13.0/CC 2018
    Reproduce issue by: Create multipage document with objects on the canvas. Insert pages using pages palette in the middle of the document; watch all your canvas content move down!
    Expected result: for the content to stay on the canvas of the pages…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

16. Cursor spins and text display lags while typing

ISSUE: While typing, text display will freeze/lag, and the cursor will change to a loading icon for about 2 seconds, then the text will finally appear all at once after the loading icon changes back to a regular cursor. This happens while typing in a regular text box.

EXPECTED RESULT: I expect text to appear on screen immediately as I press the key on the keyboard, not after a 2 second lag.

Version: InDesign CC 13.0 x64

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Clip to Frame paragraph shading

InDesign 13.0 x64 Windows

Create a paragraph style with paragraph shading, width set to column. Set positive left and right offsets. Enable "Clip to Frame".

Expected result: Shading does not extend beyond frame.
    Actual result: Shading offset is clipped on left frame margin, but clipping is not honored on right frame margin.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue.
    However, the issue is not reproducible by me. Please can you send a small video along with the sample document at amaarora@adobe.com

This will help us identify the cause and fix it.

-Aman

18. Auto-size text boxes with rounded corners expands randomly.

Version 2018, 13.0

Set a text box to auto size height and width (with no line breaks)
    Make the corners rounded
    As you can see in the attached jpgs of before and after, sometimes the box expands in width and sometimes in height, but randomly, not wrapping around the text correctly.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Can you please mail me a sample document to reproduce the issue? I am unable to reproduce the bug.
    Is the issue only specific to 13.0? What is the reference point for the autosize?

-Aman
    amaarora@adobe.com

19. I am Korean, but I can not write vertically. I can not rotate the left menu bar, upper menu bar, letter tab character. There is no language

I am Korean, but I can not write vertically. I can not rotate the left menu bar, upper menu bar, letter tab character. There is no language or oriental language choice. Please make sure you have made the capture
    The company had access to the same ID.
    But you should not come home.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Can you please uninstall InDesign and then reinstall it with the settings in Creative Cloud same as mine.. I have shown these settings in settings.png attached.

Let us know what happens then

-Aman

20. Indesign

I have updated from CC 2017 to CC 2018 and opened an existing 740 page book. This is an indesign book file .INDB with 25 chapters and numerous index entries.

When I view the index panel in CC 2017 all the entries are there. Screenshot index-cc2017

When I view the same files in CC 2018 the index panel is completely empty and there is no index at all. Screenshot index-panel2018

AND YES
    I rebuilt the preferences and the exact same thing happens. These screenshots were done after the pref rebuild when I noticed the problem.
    Is there…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?