Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

186 results found

1. Exporting Emojis to PDF

I built a newsletter with the use of the new Apple Emoji "glyphs" in InDesign and when I went to export it as a PDF, it replaced my emojis with random images from my file.

I talked with Adobe support and learned that only vector emojis can be used in PDFs which is a bit frustrating! Can we update the PDF export capability to include these new emoji features, so we can use the glyphs like I think that they were intended? I'd be a happy camper!! Thank you in advance!

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Search field does not work in Open dialogue box

Simple search filename request in the Open dialogue box and the search does not work in InDesign. This works in EVERY SINGLE OTHER APPLICATION KNOWN TO MAN. Just not in InDesign. InDesign is becoming the most unstable app I have ever worked within in over 10 years. Come on Adobe - this is Mac App 101 and you are FAILING MISERABLY. Fix this embarrassment immediately.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Scripts Panel Sorting

InDesign 2017.1 (v12.10.56); macOS High Sierra 10.13

When I open the Scripts Panel, nothing is in order. It used to be in alphabetical order like the Scripts Panel folder in my user library.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Issue has been fixed in InDesign’s latest update, Id 13.1.
    Please update your InDesign for the resolution of the problem.

Thanks,
    Abhinav

4. endnote

There appears to be a bug in the endnote linking when exported to PDF from InDesign. I'm running InDesign 13.0.1 x64 (Windows).

When I export an InDesign document as a PDF, endnote linking (from the reference to the text and v.v.) is incorrect.

Please see https://forums.adobe.com/message/10048963 for the full discussion. In short:

Create a document with multiple sections (e.g. 1st section with 9 pages, 2nd section with 125 pages). Endnotes in second section will link nine pages too early (e.g., if you have an endnote on page 122, clicking on the endnote in the PDF will link to page 113.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Object Style Size and Frame Fitting bug

Where is what I did:
    Create an Object style that has the size height and width set (I used 4x3in) AND the Frame Fitting Options set (I tried Fill Frame Proportionally with and without Auto-Fit). Import some photos. I did 4 at once and click-&-dragged them at different sizes. Frame size is correct, but frame fitting is ignored. It has to be applied manually after placement.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation

CC 2018
    Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation

When trying to PLACE an EPS file get the above error. Reinstalled CC 2017 and using the exact same file works. Attached is the EPS file that we used.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

7. InDesign crashes while accessing printer setup or printing on Windows

I've had no issues in writing documents, but printing an existing one crashed InDesign2018. A crash report was automatically generated and sent to you &/ or Apple.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. New defined Character Color in Paragraph Style not visible

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
      Adobe InDesign CC Version 2017.1 Build 12.1.0.56
      MAC OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

2. Steps to reproduce the issues
      Create a new Paragraph Style
      Go to Character Color tab
      Create new color with a double click in the black square
      Define some values for C/M/Y/K and click OK

3. Expected result
      The new color shoud show up at the end of the existing color list

4. Actual result
      The new Color don’t show up
      After changing to another tab and back the color show up

5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
      Video…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

9. Ignore All not working in spell check

When using the spell check, the "Ignore All" feature no longer appears to work. When spell checking a long document this is a pain and it's really easy to miss something that is actually wrong.

This seems to be a fairly recent thing as it did used to work. Using the latest version of InDesign.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. form field tag export

Current version - InDesign CC 2018

Form field tags are not created when exporting an interactive .pdf with tags.

To recreate:
    1. Create a form with form fields.
    2. Add everything to Articles pane in order from top to bottom per page.
    3. Export to interactive .pdf, make sure to elect to create tags and set tabbing order by structure.

Expected result - when the file runs through the Accessibility checker in Acrobat Pro - it passes.

Actual result - all form fields are missing tags and does not pass the accessibility checker.

Everything worked great before I updated InDesign…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.
    If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.
    Thanks,
    InDesign Team

11. indesign crashes very regularly

Indesign crashes very often these days giving this message [/Development/siriusr11/external/dva/adobe/dvaui/ui/src/OS_UI.cpp-4645], but not autosaving. It seems to happen at different times, can't pinpoint why it does

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2, then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face a crash issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Also, start a new thread providing the necessary information to reproduce the crash and send the
    information to santalwa@adobe.com as well.

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

12. 10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Index Entry Crash

Working in InDesign CC 2018. Revising a single chapter of 1300+ page book. InDesign CC 2018 crashes every time I try to create a new index entry. I've installed the BugFxes for Mac, deleted preferences, restarted machine, etc. Trying to create new index entry crashes each chapter even when working in each chapter individually. InDesign CC 2017 did not have this problem. Any assistance or suggestions are appreciated.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.1.2(v15.1.2.226) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

14. InDesign crashes when mounting/updating another InDesign document with overset text

InDesign Version: Adobe InDesign CC 13.0.1
    Operating System: macOS High Sierra version 10.13.2
    Computer: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Steps to reproduce the issue:
    1. Create a new document in InDesign with at least 3 pages.
    2. Make a textbox on one of the pages (e.g. page 1) and fill it with some text.
    3. Resize the textbox so that some text overset and preflight shows 1 error - overflowing text.
    4. Save and close the document
    5. Create a new InDesign document
    6. Place the InDesign file with the overflowing textbox in the new InDesign document (NOTE: You…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know if the issue is resolved for you in InDesign 14.0.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

15. File rename

InDesign 13.0 running Mac OX 10.12.6

If and INDD file is renamed in the Finder when it's open in InDesign, saving the file will cause an error dialog to appear saying "Changes cannot be save as InDesign can no longer access the '[filepath:newfilename]' file. Place the file in the original location and try again." This error message appears whether trying to do a simple save or even Save As.

This error appears even though both the window header and the file name in the error message both reflect the changed (not the original) file name.

Unless file is restored to…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

16. Prompted to save with no changes made to document

InDesign CC

I open a saved document in InDesign, but have no made any changes or touched the document at all. InDesign puts the asterisk next to my file anyways, prompting me to save upon exit. But no changes have been made. This is very annoying because I don't know if a change has been made or the program is messing up. I then have to update all of my PDF exports just to be safe.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

17. whitespace handling processing instruction not working in InDesign CC 2018

If the XML contains "whitespace handling" processing instruction, then the XML text not visible in InDesign CC 2018, it returns empty paragraphs, but the same XML working fine in CC 2017.

Sample XML attached for your reference. Please check and revert ASAP.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Indesign cuts off effects on PDF Export

InDesign cuts off effects on PDF Exports if they get too large. (Also to mention... menues look different fot Font or Object Effects... someone realigned one of them and forgot the others.)

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server: CC 2017.1 with Tablefix
    Steps to reproduce the issues: Create a new Document that's wide enough e.g. 5000mm (happend to us on a big Banner) – Write Text - Use Effect "Bevel" - Export to PDF and watch it fail.
    Expected result: A Text with the applied effect
    Actual result: The Effect gets cut off (we almost printed a job…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

19. EPUB Interactivity panel resizes

In the release version of InDesign CC 2018, when you resize the EIP panel, then close it or make it part of a workspace, it should open at the same size you left it.

In CC 2018, it opens in the size you last left it, but immediately snaps to a very small size, forcing you to resize it EVERY time.

This makes working with interactive features very cumbersome. Please fix! Thank you.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

20. Color Mode listings are all out of order

The order of Color Mode options (Pantone, TOYO, etc.) are listed in a seemingly random order after updating to InDesign CC 2018 (13.0).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base