Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Indesign CS6 crash when I type or cancel text in table

I have problem with Indesign CS& tested with WIN7 or WIN10 with 2 different machine ... when I type or cancel text in table the program crash.
    I try to reinstall and I download last update but the problem is the same.
    I want buy a new version CC2018 but I tested TRIAL VERSION and the problem is the same.
    There is a person in ADOBE that can solve me this question ?
    I can send him a zip file created with LOG COLLECTOR TOOL.
    Thank you in advance. Best regards.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
      (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
      • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
      • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
      • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

• InDesign Corrupt files

InDesign users all have to deal with corrupt files sometime during their career using this program. Usually meaning lost time and, more importantly, money. It would be nice if there was a way to have InDesign or another program scan and fix corrupt files (Adobe FirstAid). Dumping this corrupt file into this program would scan the file, find the cause of the error, and isolate it--almost like a virus scanner. Even if this means a page is lost or margins are messed up. It would be nice to at least get some work saved. For example, I throw in a…

8 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Text wrap on anchored frame causes InDesign to freeze

1. InDesign CC 2018 13.1 on macOS 10.13.6
        2. When placing an object in a text frame, thus creating an anchored object, and then applying to the latter a text wrap method that is different from default (none), either via application ui, script or object style;
        3. Expected to apply the wanted text wrap option;
        4. Application freezes.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
          (Guidelines to submit crash are available at helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-re..)

• Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
          • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

• InDesign is unusable after the latest update (13.1) with spell checking and hyphenation is set to Hungarian / Winsoft.

InDesign is unusable after the latest update (13.1) if spell checking and hyphenation is set to Hungarian / Winsoft. All words are underlined as incorrectly spelled, hyphenation dosen't work, InDesign hangs. If I open a documents saved before the update InDesign displays the document, than hangs.

OS Sierra 10.26.6

4 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

(Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign team

• CC2018 IDML files not compatible with CS6

Clients who have CS6 can't open any IDML files I create/export in CC2018. They receive an error message saying the format is unsupported or a plug-in is missing. IDML files created/exported from an earlier version of CC (2017) work fine.

6 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  19 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • incopy workspace bar crash

InCopy CC 13.0.1 and InDesign CC

When clicking on Character, Character style or Paragraph style the program freezes for 20 secs or more, and this bar appears. (See image)

It happens when I open a New file, as well as InDesign linked.

It disappears if I wait, and click to reset workspace. Then it returns.

I have tried reinstalling software (and switching PC off and on again)

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InCopy CC2019 (v 14.0) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0 (build 130), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InCopy crashed?
                • Does trashing InCopy Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InCopy team

• 6 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There are multiple factors, both internal and external to InDesign application, that can lead to document corruption. However, we can take a look and see if the file can be repaired. Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com. We will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox/Wetransfer/GoogleDrive) and send us the document link.

Thanks,
                  Adobe InDesign team

• Crashing Indesign - Google Team Drive

We are working with Google Team Drive and all Adobe programs.
                  But lately we experience some trouble.

The screenshots say that Indesign closed itself because of error.

Hopefully someone can help us with this problem.

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

• Master Page

Master Page not reflected on some document pages. Adobe InDesign CC 2018. Workaround was to change the affected document pages to another master page, then change back to the original master page. The document pages then refreshed to the expected result.

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
                      • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

• Executing startup services

Latest version of CC2018. Intel 7th Gen i7 PC with 16gb memory and Nvidia GeForce 1050 video card.
                      All other applications installed and run properly but indesign is stuck on splash screen with Executing startup services... Only way to exit it is to run task manager and kill it.
                      Removed OOBE and restarted. Logged back into CC. Same issue. Don't want to reset my PC to factory (it's only a couple months old). Thanks Ben

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

• InDesign crashing when exporting book to pdf

Hi there. I just got updated InDesign through CC and am in the process of updating old files/documents created in CS5.5. Several of them are InDesign books including 6-10 separate documents (there are a couple books which share similar documents). I'm able to export the individual documents as a pdf just fine, but when I try to export the book it crashes. I've tried recreating the book with the same documents, but no luck. Other ideas?

3 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Indesign cc 2018 crash mounted volume on "Save As..."

Environment:
                          - Adobe InDesign CC 2018 13.1 (13.1.0.76),
                          - MacOS v 10.12.6.
                          - Mounted SMB share (Windows Server 2012 R2 full share permissions).

When editing a document on the mounted SMB share, then doing a "Save As...", there's a delay, then pinwheels, then crashes.

Attached are the screen shots of the dialog boxes that occurs as it crashes, plus the Apple crash report.

It does NOT crash on "Save".

It does NOT crash on "Save A Copy..." UNLESS - sometimes you try to save over a pre-existing document. It will complain that the file is open even if it isn't…

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

• installed font missing

InDesign 13.0.1 on macOS 10.12.6

One installed font from a family of 6 suddenly started showing as not found. Frutiger LT Pro 67 Bold Condensed was correctly showing, now not.

I have re-installed InDesign twice, reinstalled the font, and rebooted several times. Font is correctly showing still in Illustrator and Photoshop.

This is impacting client files and while I have a workaround, I am concerned the problem will occur with other fonts where I don't have a viable solution. (I have another foundry version of that particular font.)

Screen shots attached.

many thanks

7 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Please try it out with the latest release and if even then you encountering the same issue, please share the font file of that particular font with which you are facing the issue.

Please do mention your machine configuration like OS, Locale. You can also send files/links directly to paawasth@adobe.com.

Thanks,
                              Payal

• search document and all documents

Since today's update (03/15/2018) in Indesign CC2018. The Search Box, even if you chose "Document" or "All documents" only performs searches in "Story"

4 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have tried the scenario on latest InDesign 13.1 and we are able to find the in “document” “all document” as set in dialog without any problem.
                                Please elaborate the steps for reproducing the issue. That would be really helpful.

Regards,
                                InDesign Team

• Exporting a Snippet Causes Crash

Whenever I try to export a snippet, either through dragging the ID item onto the desktop, or by going to File > Export > Snippet, InDesign will crash. The only way to get a snippet is by adding it to a library by using the flout menu in the Library panel.

I am on mac OS 13.13.3 and InDesign 13.0.1

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign team

• Crashing when entering text in paragraph style name field

To get this crash...
                                  Duplicate an existing Paragraph Style via Panel drop down menu.

Select text in name field.

Type... crashes within the first couple of characters.

Message... Internal Error

Doesn't happen every time, but too often.

Adobe InDesign CC 2018

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

• Can't duplicate and drag pages in pages panel

If I select pages in the pages panel, drag and duplicate to sit somewhere else within the document, it wont duplicate. Even though the + symbol appears as I drag, it only moves the selected pages within the document, it doesn't make duplicates/ Only if I drag and duplicate to sit at the very end of the document, will this actually duplicate. This is the first I've noticed this bug today.

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
                                      • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

• pasting crash

InDesign CC 13.1 — EVERY time I copy text from another program (PDF, email, Word, ANYTHING other text within InDesign), InDesign crashes immediately upon pasting into a text box within InDesign. No spinning beach ball. Just shuts down and closes. This is untenable and needs to be fixed. Productivity and my job depend on it. Can anyone please help solve this issue? Thank you.

3 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

• Combination of characters crashing ID

When I type or paste or apply style, or try anything in this paragraph, InDesign crashes. ("SUMARIVA, Paulo Henrique. Inquérito policial deixa de ser inquisitivo: Lei 13.245/16 altera as regras da investigação criminal. Jusbrasil, 19 jan. 2016. Disponível em: <http://paulosumariva.jusbrasil.com.br/artigos/296224010/inquerito-policial-deixa-de-ser-inquisitivo-lei-13245-2016-altera-as-regras-da-investigacao-criminal>. Acesso em 18 fev. 2016.").

Maybe a combination of characters is causing the crash. I also ask for a friend to paste the paragraph (I sent using Skype) and his InDesign crashes too.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

• InDesign fails to launch

I cannot start InDesign on my Windows 10 notebook even though the rest of the Adobe apps work relatively well. On my main PC it runs without any problems. I tried re-installing the software, but it didn't help.

2 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base