Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

255 results found

1. Eyedropper bug — attribute pick-up is glitched by hidden layers above

If there are objects overlapping and above the source for the eyedropper tool, — even if those objects are on a hidden layer — the tool picks up a color of no fill and no stroke.

If the hidden layer is dropped below the target layer, the problem goes away.

These observations are based on original input by Bill Silbert in this User Forum discussion:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-cc-2020-eyedropper-problem-turning-text-to-no-color/m-p/10765424#M165918

InDesign versions v14 through v15

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Indesign causes screen to enter a strobe flicker effect and no choice but to shut down

Sometimes when I drag a text box to a different position the screen starts to flicker then goes crazy - like a strobe effect. It's applied to all software that's open and there is no choice but to have a frenzied time trying to shut down applications and saving work before the screen either goes completely blank or white. There is no choice but to restrt the imac.

It happened around 5 times in the space of an hour and then won't happen for weeks.

iMac - Intel Core i7 - 4 GHz - Memory 32 GB - AMD Radeon…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Cannot pull guides from ruler. Show Guides is on. This has been a problem in 15.0 and beyond!

Cannot pull guides from ruler. Show Guides is on. This has been a problem in 15.0 and beyond!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Textwrap 2020

Textwrap from old saved document takes spacing from paragraph indent...Thus you can see the very wide right margin for image.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. indesign cursor lag

My cursor is lagging while passing over portions of the Layers Panel specifically.
    I'm working on a Macbook Pro, with a BenQ GW2765 external monitor.
    The issue only happens while InDesign is on the external monitor, and it works fine while on the macbook pro.
    I've attached a video sample of the issue in action.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have identified that this occurs when you connect your Macbook Pro with an external monitor using the older, obsolete Apple adapter.

On using the newer, updated model of the Apple adapter, this issue does not occur. Many of our users have confirmed this.

Please share what hardware you’re using to connect the external monitor to your MBP.

Adobe InDesign team

6. Bounding box is always on the outside of the stroke

Ever since I updated to the latest InDesign (InDesign 15.0.1), the bounding box is always on the outside of the stroke so instead of objects snapping to the box they are snapping to the outside of the stroke.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Footnotes disappear

v. 15.0.1 x64, Windows

I am working on a multichapter magazine.

Every chapter starts with a title and the author’s name. After the name comes a footnote call.

If I make changes that add or remove a page in a chapter, all the footnotes on the following chapters disappear. They can be recover by removing the asterisk and inserting it again.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Part of this issue was fixed with the latest release of InDesign 15.0.1

For all new files created with ID 15.0.1 the issue will not come. For older files opened in ID 15.0.1, you will have to resize, move or do some text editing operation to make the footnote appear

In case you are still facing the issue in new files created post ID 15.0.0 , please share a sample file

Thanks
    amaarora@adobe.com

8. InDesign 14 opening network files as read-only

We have been using InDesign for a while with files being stored on a network SMB share. on 4/4/19, after a few folks updated to 14.02, the Indesign and Incopy files are primarily only able to be opened as read-only.

Network server permissions have been verified and no other changes have occurred in our environment.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please help us with answers to the below queries:

1. OS version of the machine where issue is reproducible.
    2.Are the files opened simultaneously by more than one user?
    3. Does the same file which is opened as Read Only in Id 14.0.2, when opened in Id 14.0.1 opens fine?
    4. Does remounting the SMB drive fixes the issue?

9. Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking and "Auto-fit" options do not seem to work.

I am using Indesign 14.0

When I relink files, Indesign changes the scale and placement of images automatically, regardless of whether the preserve image dimensions option in the file handling box is checked or unchecked, and whether the "auto-fit" button in the tool menu is checked or uncheked.

Preferences > File Handling > "Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking"

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Book / Index

Indesign 2020 15.0, Indesign CC 2019 14.0.3, Indesign CC 2018:
    Crash when generating the index in a book with many chapters.
    The book has 156 chapters (from 1 page to 30 pages) - when updating the index reproducible crash.
    The book has 822 pages.

Every time I sent an error report - no reaction. I think it depends on the number of documents.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. shared destination hyperlinks do not get inserted into exported epub 3 (InDesign CC 2020 v15.0)

I have a document with many shared destination hyperlinks. When I go to export this document out to an epub 3 file, non of the shared destination hyperlinks are inserted into the epub file. This is a huge problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Can you please share a sample file with which the issue is reproducible at amaarora@adobe.com?

I tried with some custom files but was unable to see the issue (checked on Sigil epub viewer)

Thanks
    InDesign Team

12. Multipage PDF Export failure -Backgrond task running constantly

PDF export constantly runs as background task with zero percent progress until I force quit InDesign, delete the temp recovery file, and delete the "zero bytes" PDF that InDesign failed to genereate. If I leave it and reexport once running InDesign again it happens again. I've found it takes deleting the recovery file (.idlk) and the PDF that has zero data at the location I tried exporting to. Once I do that it seems to work. My InDesign file is multiple pages (32). Smaller page counts and data files seem to work although my InDesign file isn't that large. Once…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Can you please share a sample INDD file at rdubey@adobe.com with which issue is reproducible?

We tried with some custom InDesign files, but export works fine

Thanks

13. Cannot save under a new name error code 1, network share, InDesign 2019

When I am trying to save InDesign document to a network share using Save As or using Save a Copy, InDesign comes up with an error message saying 'Cannot save, file is damaged, error code 1'.
    InDesign 2019 is up to date.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Are you able to saveAs/ SaveACopy the file locally?
    What is the exact version of InDesign 2019 are you using? 14.0.1/14.0.2/14.0.3?
    Is it happening with all InDesign files?
    Which OS version are you using?

14. When converting files to a new version, some converted files have "copy" added to the name.

Opening a book from a previous version, with automatic doc conversion selected, causes some files to be overwritten when saved with "copy" added to the name. This nuance has caused a cascading calamity for our file management. If this function is intended, then it's execution is downright dumb. Nowhere was this pitfall mentioned when opening the files and saving them. Automatic Document conversion should be just that, automatic. Not 'automatically' mess up my naming conventions and filing system.

Shame on you Adobe.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Can you confirm the version of InDesign with which you are facing the issue?
    It will be really helpful if you can share a screen recording of the workflow with us. It will give us unambiguous insight into the issue.

You can send the video and test files to abkaushi@adobe.com

-Abhinav

15. Alt key modifier keeps toolbar active after use when zooming in using scroll wheel

Not sure when this started happening, I only know that it's started irritating the heck out of me quite recently. I'm on Win 10 using InDesign 14.0.2

Whenever I alt+scroll using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out, InDesign switches focus to the toolbar so that the next keyboard press will enact the menu.

It becomes an issue when for example zooming into an active text box, if you need to type F, E, L, T, O, A, V, W, or H, after using alt+scroll you end up bringing up the View menu as soon as you hit the V key.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    As per our understanding the issue is as follows:
    Launch InDesign.
    1. Press alt+scroll using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out.
    2. InDesign switches focus to the menu-bar so that the next keyboard press will enact the menu shortcut.
    3. Type F, E, L, or T after using alt+scroll

Result:
    Menu entry is opened from the control strip (example View menu as soon as you hit the V key).

Expected:
    Key press should select the suitable tool denoted by that key

This has been the behavior since quite long and does not look like a break in behavior.
    Please can you confirm?

Thanks

16. InDesign Is Still Unusably Slow

Despite this forum being filled with "solved" reports of InDesign being unusably slow, it remains so.
    I am editing a 4 page document that is almost all text, and yet I get the spinning ball after each and every keystroke. It can take 5-10 seconds just to complete typing a word, and heaven help me if I make a mistake and need to backspace.

I just updated InDesign this morning so I am on 14.0.2. I'm running Windows 10 1903. The machine is an MSI laptop with an i7 processor and 12GB of RAM.

I have attempted to edit the…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. CC2020 story doesn't show hyperlink symbols

Hello,

With CC 2019 I could switch into story mode and see the starting and ending tags for a hyperlink. This ability was beneficial because I found the text editor struggled to reveal/understand the boundaries of the hyperlink's text-it couldn't tell where the hyperlink ended. If you look in the first figure, if I type at the end of the hyperlink, even with first keying a space symbol, the hyperlink extends into any further sentences I type.

In 2019 I would use the story editor to move the cursor outside the hyperlink termination symbol and get around the problem. With…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Open the Hyperlinks panel and see whether the Hyperlinks are actually there. It could be that the Hyperlinks were initially created (hence the Blue color Underline beneath them) but were removed later on. That’s why the Story Editor does not show them.

From the Hyperlinks panel flyout menu, choose ‘Convert URLs to Hyperlinks…’ and see if the Hyperlink Start and Termination Symbols are shown in the Story Editor.

Adobe InDesign team

18. 2020 Pages Window Broken

Ever since updating to Indesign 2020 the pages window just doesn't work. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling a number of times but no matter what I do it just shows it as completely blank. This makes it extremely difficult to access anything, let alone my master pages.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Export stops at 0%

Exporting common documents often results in a "crash" at 0%. No error comes up, it just stays at 0% indefinitely.

If I try stop the export I can't, if I try close InDesign I can't. I have to force quit the program and open it numerous times following in order to get all of my fonts back and registered... even if it's in a package.

Extremely time consuming and painful.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Can you please share a sample INDD file at rdubey@adobe.com with which issue is reproducible?

We tried with some custom InDesign files, but export works fine

Thanks

20. contour freaking out

Contours on Text are freaking out in CC 2019 (14.0.2)

See attached PDF (.INDD is not allowed to be attached....)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base