Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Indesign 2019 placing my pictures reversed/ inverted; had to use an older version

Indesign 2019 placing my pictures reversed/ inverted; had to use an older version for multi page PDF placement to work properly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. stalls intermittently, seconds to minutes of spinning beach ball or Application not responding

Stalls to a spinning beach ball intermittently during use. Add images in frames, move images or add text, what-ever, it suddenly just stalls and can take seconds to minutes before clearing. CS6, the CC2017 worked fine. Now CC2018 seems to have regressed in performance. I have to FORCE QUIT at times. MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InDesign CC (13.0.1.) - Often can't save as InDesign-Document (error code 0)

InDesign often says that it can't save my InDesign-Document, because its damaged (error code 0) . It damage my files, so that i've to save as IDML.

Annoying.

Cant't reproduce the problem.
    I work local, so it can't be an connection-problem.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve been able to identify one scenario in which the cache folder is not accessible while InDesign is launched resulting is the issue. The issue seems to be specific to MAC OS.
    If you encounter the issue again, try to access the location “/Users//Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version/13.0/en_US/InDesign Recovery/*” and create a file in the directory.

Workaround – Relaunch the application, Cache folder gets created and the problem is resolved.

We require more information to identify the root cause of the issue. Please provide following information via email to santalwa@adobe.com
    1. Version of MAC OS (10.11.x, 10.12.x, 10.13.x)
    2. Is InDesign cache and Preferences mounted on Network drive?
    3. Any sync utility running on your machine, such as TimeMachine?

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign Team

4. existing file size won't change > InDesign CC 2019

Today I noticed that if I use an existing file > save as new file name > then change document set up (size) the document says it's the correct size but it is not!

After creating a PDF, I checked the file data and the size was not correct! Did this 7-8 times to make sure it wasn't a user error. Being that I do 100's of print ads a month, this is a HUGE issue.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

5. Assert after closing InDesign CC 2019 Debug.

After clear installation Adobe InDesign CC 2019 Debug every time when I am closing application I have this Assert dialog box:

Interface kLanguageImpl changed but not marked dirty. First difference occurrs at offset 54

d:\development\siriusr14\source\omlib\session\pmpersist.cpp (1425)

I have only Skip and Debugger buttons. Skip open new dialog box (the same information).

There are no plugins. Only clear install.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Interactive function does not export

Hi, the goto page interactive function does not export, it allows you to set it up but then go to export and it tells you its not going to export that function??? how can I get this to work tried everything I know.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

7. Document size change/Master page elements appearing on pages where no master page is applied

When changing the page size in Document Setup and ensuring that adjust layout is not selected, master page elements are showing up on pages where master pages are not applied.

Version: INDD CC 2019

Steps to Reproduce: (this does not happen in all cases) In this instance, I changed the document page size in document set up and ensured "Adjust layout" was not selected.

Expected Result: The document page size would change throughout, keeping the same layout as/properties as before.

Actual Result: Master page elements were applied to pages that did not have the master page applied (i.e. header on…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –

Adobe InDesign team

8. new document preview crash

I'm crashing in the 2018 version of ID in the New Document dialog whenever I make changes to the margins with the Preview checkbox checked. This happens each and every time, consistently.

This occurs in both the new, New Document dialog format (Preview checkbox added in 2018) as well as the Legacy dialog format (enabled with General Preferences setting).

This does not occur in the 2017 CC version of ID. (Legacy dialog only — no Preview checkbox in the new format.)

This does not occur when changing any other page attribute, including page size, slug, and bleed; only Margin.

>Testing:…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

9. Spacebar handtool doesn't work

Since I use Indesign CC (Now CC 2018 13.0) sometimes the hand tool (spacebar) doesn't work. And today it again doesn't work. Why is this problem here for almost a year now. I am very disappointed in this bug.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. crash on create merged document

Indesign 2018 cc on mac os 10.12.6, crash on "create merged document" in data merge menu if more than approx 100 records in data file . "export to pdf" works. We have some files that need editing after merge so need this to work. Worked before 2018 update on same files that are causing crashes now. Seems to crash at point its going from a temp file to creating the finished file after the merge has happened. Tries unsucessfully to "recover" a temp file on startup after crash. Is entirely repeatable. System and user usage together never goes above 60%…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-re..)

• Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

11. Indesign will start but will not create a new doc or open a previous one.

I am using MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra and Indesign CC 2018. The program has been working great but suddenly, beginning last night, InDesign will start up but when I go to create a new document nothing happens. I tried to open a document I had made the day before and it would no open either. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, trashed my preferences, but still not working. I get no warnings or spinning color wheels. What is going on?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

(Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign team

12. InDesign CC Server 2018.1 crashes when applying masterSpread to a page

InDesign CC Server 2018.1 crashes when applying masterSpread to a page.
    The code attached in file "Script.txt" crashes when executing "item.appliedMaster = masterSpread;".
    The file "File.indd" is on which I execute the script.
    I works properly in InDesign CS6 and InDesign CC 2018.1.
    I've been searching on Internet and I couldn't find any issue similar to mine.
    I think it is a bug but maybe I'm missing something prior to execute that sentence.
    Thanks.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. PDF Export causes Acrobat to crash

I am having trouble exporting InDesign files to PDF.

This is what I'm seeing:
    Exporting PDFs from InDesign works fine if no PDF is open. If you have a PDF already open or are exporting a 2nd PDF with the first still open it crashes Adobe.

I have updated Windows to a later version, checked drivers, the event viewer logs. I looked for similar issues online, repaired Acrobat from Control panel and from within the app.

Please share any advice.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. No Panels at Start

Many times CC apps start with no panels at all or panels which won't expand when clicked.

Also happens in Photoshop, Illustrator in my experience and on different machines (Mac Pro at home, different iMacs at the office).

Has been going on for many iterations of CC apps.

macOS High Sierra 13.13.3 / CC 2018 InDesign 13.0.1

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Upon opening app 'Pages panel' does not launch

InDesign doesn't seem to record the preference of keeping open the 'pages panel'. On each app launch (despite on closing the last session with the pages panel open), the pages panel does not appear.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –
    • What were you doing when the issue was observed in InDesign?
    • Is the issue related to a specific workspace(s)? If yes, can you please provide the workspace(s) available at following location:
    o Windows: “%APPDATA%\Adobe\InDesign\Version 14.0\en_US\Workspaces”
    o Macintosh: "~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 14.0\en_US\Workspaces”

Adobe InDesign team

16. Cannot resize Epub Interactivity Preview panel

I can not resize the Epub Interactivity Preview Panel at all.
    I am using the latest InDesign CC 2018.

SWF Preview panel is fine.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  21 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Printing Error: Problem initializing the current printer - Check the system print setting?

Printing Error: Problem initializing the current printer - Check the system print setting?

I have not changed anything in my settings for this error to occur? The previous version works and I have cross-referenced all my settings and they match but it will not allow the print booklet export to the Adobe PDF drive which has always worked?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Are you facing issue with InDesign CC 2019(14.0.1.209) and InDesign CC 2018(13.1.0.76)?
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when you encountered the issue in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)?
    • Printer driver and printer setup details.
    • How is the printer configured? (Local/Network/Wireless)
    • Is the printer configured as your default printer?

18. Crash in InCopy corrupts InDesign file

File crashed when writer and designer were making single story InCopy edits back and forth. They made single story edits with no problem, but then tried to export a selection of 12 stories (all on 1 page) by selecting all 12 stories and exporting selection. When the writer opened InCopy to edit the page, it crashed every time she scrolled to that page.

The InDesign file then became corrupt and would crash immediately upon opening. Was able to save a version of the original file with a new name, but various text (on placed library items) is missing on the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

19. the file does not exist

Adobe InDesign CC 2019, pagina inizio, impossibile aprire i file presenti nella cronologia: "il file non esiste, è usato da un'altra applicazione oppure non disponete delle autorizzazione necessarie".

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It looks like you may be trying to open files that are shown on the Start screen but are unable to do so.

Please check that the file(s) actually exist at the same location as when they were previously opened/created. If they have been deleted/moved/renamed, etc., the Start screen will continue to show their thumbnails but you won’t be able to open them.

Let us know if this is not the case.

Adobe InDesign team

20. Color Reading Completely Incorrectly

Adobe. This is an insane problem to have not fixed.

Colors are seriously displaying incorrectly. From one program to another the colors look different and they do not at all match the way the color read in 2018.

The attached shows the same color in Indesign 2019 (left) and Illustrator 2019 (right)

This is a serious issue that people have been having since the 2019 update and I cannot believe there is not an update to fix this yet.

Every time Adobe releases an update lately I hesitate to download. The ideas behind the updates are intended to increase functionality…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base