Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2020 Pages Window Broken

Ever since updating to Indesign 2020 the pages window just doesn't work. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling a number of times but no matter what I do it just shows it as completely blank. This makes it extremely difficult to access anything, let alone my master pages.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. InDesign 2009

InDesign 2019 on Windows7 physical device, Not Responding shortly after program launch. Have tried removing Users Local profile folder incase of a corrupt Cache file. Still not working.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2020.0.1 with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign freeze?
    • Video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. InDesign, latest version. GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (\.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Please can you confirm if this GREP query works for small text ranges? (for example text selection containing around 10K characters)
    For me, the query works for just in a document containing one (.) followed by one endnote marker

If it works for you as well on small documents, your issue may be same as https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/37286893-cc-14-0-2-grep-search-not-working

-Adobe InDesign Team

4. Export stops at 0%

Exporting common documents often results in a "crash" at 0%. No error comes up, it just stays at 0% indefinitely.

If I try stop the export I can't, if I try close InDesign I can't. I have to force quit the program and open it numerous times following in order to get all of my fonts back and registered... even if it's in a package.

Extremely time consuming and painful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. contour freaking out

Contours on Text are freaking out in CC 2019 (14.0.2)

See attached PDF (.INDD is not allowed to be attached....)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. optical margin alignement

The settings for the optical margin alignment are changed after a program crash (InDesign 13.1.1.): Either (more often) the option is deactivated, but occasionally it is also activated. The text will be wrapped completely new accordingly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2020.0.1 with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference. I tried a dozen times. It used to work in previous versios

ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference. I tried a dozen times. It used to work in previous versions

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. crashes while exporting with long file names

My InDesign Seems to crash every time I try to export a file to pdf with a filename that is longer than 40 characters. We have to have the file names this long due to our naming conventions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Stroke edit crash

I create a line with either the pen tool or the line tool. I select the line and open the properties palette. I select the 'stroke' button and open the stroke palette. I click the 'line end' or 'line beginning' to change the end to an arrow, bullet end, etc. InDesign hangs for a moment and then crashes.
    I have submitted multiple crash reports from the crash window that pops up and have received no response from Adobe. It has been going on for months.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Drive File Stream causing InDesign to crash

InDesign v 14.0.2

We use Drive File Stream for all of our file storing - which has been working great until last week when opening certain files made InDesign crash repeatedly. I have tried to save as an IDML, download locally and still have the crashing problem.

When I go to open the file it will just freeze the application window, no panels visable and just the spinning Mac ball. Force quit and then reopen InDesign - then it freezes again each time upon reopening, before trying to open any files and I have to force quit again. The second…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Ability to Add more than One Page at a Time

I have a "large" technical textbook, in my case 20 chapters and at least 22 indd files, if I wnt to add a page or two to an existing chapter, each time I click the new page icon, it takes a while for InDesign to reassess page and section numbers. Ten clicks of "new page later", it rather timeconsuming.

How about an option, similar to adding rows/columns to a table, that allows you to specifiy how many pages you would like to add?

At the moment, adding 10 pages means watching it update section numbers 10 times.

Kind regards
    Mike…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. "Unable to adjust document layout due to an error."

1. Adobe InDesign CC 2019

2. File >Adjust Layout > I select Custom page size; Auto-adjust margins to page size change; Options - adjust font size, adjust locked content.

3. Expected result: page and all objects and fonts shrink from those I needed for a 8.5" x 11" (letter sized) doc. to 7.222" x 6" (6-column newspaper ad size) I need to produce a print-ready PDF for newspaper layout.

4. Actual result: the error message "Unable to adjust document layout due to an error." (note: the preflight shows no errors, all links working, everything copacetic).

5. See screen shots.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Spell check crashing InDesign

InDesign 14.0.2 MacBook Pro

Whenever I try and use Spell Check in my current document, the app crashes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking and "Auto-fit" options do not seem to work.

I am using Indesign 14.0

When I relink files, Indesign changes the scale and placement of images automatically, regardless of whether the preserve image dimensions option in the file handling box is checked or unchecked, and whether the "auto-fit" button in the tool menu is checked or uncheked.

Preferences > File Handling > "Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking"

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Anchored item with white overprints

This is a 'white' bug.

I regularly use anchoring to keep items aligned and for spacing.
    Text is black. Art or tables need white in them to knockout the shade beneath.

When a table is placed inline or a piece of art is anchored in a text box that has a color or a border... the white is ignored in the anchored object.

There is no reason to ignore a color just because it is inline or anchored.

This bug forces me to layer the object on a different layer, causing extra work in keeping the item aligned after edits.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Missing Font error after upgrading

After the upgrading to cc 2019 , the older fonts which were installed in machine is giving missing font error, every time i have to sync the fonts. I am using windows 10 standard edition. Here is the screen shot of the error.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Stroke Drawing Order not working

InDesign 2019 on MacOS 10.13.6

Steps to reproduce
    Define table stroke using the proxy in the Control panel (see screenshot) and try to change the Stroke Drawing Order.

Expected result
    Stroke Drawing Order "Row Strokes In Front" should be as selected in "Table Options"

Actual result
    Row Strokes are not in front. All strokes which are altered using the control panel options remain unchanged.
    If a new table is setup using only the menu options (Cell Options > Strokes And Fills) everything works fine.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In the Table Setup dialog, do the following:

In the Row Strokes section (2nd tab), choose Alternating Pattern : Every Other Row and then make the First 1 Rows and Next 1 Rows the exact same settings.

In the Column Strokes section (3rd tab), choose Alternating Pattern: Every Other Column and then make the First 1 Columns and Next 1 Columns the exact same settings.

In the Table Setup section (1st tab), you can set the Table Border as 0mm and Stroke Drawing Order as ‘Row Strokes in Front’.

Most probably this should help you get the results you are after. Try this out and let us know if it helps.

Adobe InDesign team

19. Paste & Crash: The New Adobe Game

14.0.2.324 CRASH Every. SIngle. Time. I. Paste text from Word (16.26 Mac). What tha what tha????

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Alt key modifier keeps toolbar active after use when zooming in using scroll wheel

Not sure when this started happening, I only know that it's started irritating the heck out of me quite recently. I'm on Win 10 using InDesign 14.0.2

Whenever I alt+scroll using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out, InDesign switches focus to the toolbar so that the next keyboard press will enact the menu.

It becomes an issue when for example zooming into an active text box, if you need to type F, E, L, T, O, A, V, W, or H, after using alt+scroll you end up bringing up the View menu as soon as you hit the V key.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    As per our understanding the issue is as follows:
    Launch InDesign.
    1. Press alt+scroll using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out.
    2. InDesign switches focus to the menu-bar so that the next keyboard press will enact the menu shortcut.
    3. Type F, E, L, or T after using alt+scroll

Result:
    Menu entry is opened from the control strip (example View menu as soon as you hit the V key).

Expected:
    Key press should select the suitable tool denoted by that key

This has been the behavior since quite long and does not look like a break in behavior.
    Please can you confirm?

Thanks

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base