Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

517 results found

1. Drive File Stream causing InDesign to crash

InDesign v 14.0.2

We use Drive File Stream for all of our file storing - which has been working great until last week when opening certain files made InDesign crash repeatedly. I have tried to save as an IDML, download locally and still have the crashing problem.

When I go to open the file it will just freeze the application window, no panels visable and just the spinning Mac ball. Force quit and then reopen InDesign - then it freezes again each time upon reopening, before trying to open any files and I have to force quit again. The second…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. InDesign crashes on launch in "PlugPlugOwl.dll"

InDesign 2019 doesn't open after the first loading box on startup. I downloaded 2018, 2017 and 2015. 2015 is the only one that works at the moment but the others have the same issue.
    My computers processor is Intel Pentium 1.5 GHz
    I've attached the crash report.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Edit: This thread addresses the specific case of crash on launch due to issues with PlugPlugOwl.dll.
    If you are facing crash on launch please reach out to us on sharewithid@adobe.com
    Closing this thread.

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

4. InDesign crashes on launch with Faulty module "PMRuntime" unless launched as Administrator or Creative Cloud Application

Issue: InDesign CC will not open from the Start Menu unless "Run as administrator" is selected. This is not an option for standard users.

It will open OK from the Creative Cloud Desktop App.

Event viewer log is generated showing the following:
    Faulting application name: InDesign.exe, version 13.1.0.76
    Faulting module name: PMRuntime.dll, version 5.0.0.191

Version: InDesign CC 2018, 13.1.076
    Also occurs with version 12.1.0.56
    Windows OS: Windows 10, version 1803 (Build 17134.165)

Select InDesign CC from the start menu. The application does not open and no messages appear. Check Event Viewer > Application to see the error.

There…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for patience while we were investigating into the root cause of the issue.
    During our investigation we identified that the issue manifests due to Symentec DLP antivirus software.

Please find below steps to whitelist the application:
    1. From the Enforce console select System > Agents >Application Monitoring.
    2. Select the application to white list. If it is not listed, click on “add application” and provide at least one of the required application binaries.(Refer to Symentec DLP_Console.png for reference)
    Note: DLP attempts to validate every field populated. We recommend using as few as fields as needed. If the whitelist seems to fail, try changing which required field is populated or removing one of the other fields.
    3. Uncheck all of the detection channels under the “Application Monitoring Configuration.”
    4. Click on save and verify the application in the list of monitoring activities is unchecked.
    5. After making…

5. Crash on deleting duplicated XML tag

Indesign CC 2019 (Version 14.0.1)
    Mac OS Mojave on Mac mini (Late 2014)

Hello, I have a document ready to import XML data, with existing XML structure and tagged elements in page.
    Afterwards I import XML data into XML structure and then duplicate (copy and paste) text frame that contains a table with an image placed into a cell table.
    If I try to delete resulting duplicated XML tag, application crashes.
    Same result if I duplicate (copy and paste) XML tag directly.

These are the steps:

1) Open document with prepared XML structure and tagged elements in page.
    2) Import…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Paste & Crash: The New Adobe Game

14.0.2.324 CRASH Every. SIngle. Time. I. Paste text from Word (16.26 Mac). What tha what tha????

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. InDesign buffers every 5 seconds

I am on a new MacBook Pro; every other adobe program runs fine, including After Effects. There shroud be no reason why drawing my second text box InDesign makes it borderline crash. Im working off my internal hard drive and it is happening with every InDesign file. I have the display performance set to fast and I have no other programs opened.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. Extendscript hangs CC2019 (14.0.2) on macOS

Code below works fine on Windows and CC 2018 on Mac. But CC 2019 Mac it hangs the app once clicking the OK button in window 2. I've tried three different Macs including Mojave and High Sierra. All the same result. Pretty sure it's not just me. This bug has broken a number of my scripts that present a secondary window for saving settings.

var w1 = new Window("dialog", "Window 1");

var btnOpenWindow2 = w1.add("button", undefined, "Open Window 2");

var btnOk1 = w1.add("button", undefined, "OK");

btnOpenWindow2.onClick = function () {

openWindow2();

};

btnOk1 = function () {

w1.close();

};

w1.show();

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue, we are reviewing it

-InDesign Team

9. AIGPUSniffer quit unexpectedly every time I launch Indesign CC 14.0.1

I am using Indesign CC14.0.1 on a MAC - OS Mojave V 10.14.1
    Whenever I launch Indesign I get a crash pop up saying AIGPU Sniffer has quit unexpectedly.
    Indesign is fine to work in however I am fed up with this AIGPU issue coming up all the time and don't know if it is effecting anything else?
    I've had loads of issues with the latest CC - really not impressed Adobe! Any suggestions on how to stop this happening?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Thanks for reporting the issue to us. We are currently investigating the issue.

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Crash when placing DOCX with paragraphStyles

Version: InDesign 14.0.1, macOS 10.14.3

Steps:
    1. Open attached InDesign document (please rename .jpg in .indd, there was a bug while uploading the file)
    2. Place "ThisDocumentHasParagraphStyles.docx" in the document
    3. InDesign crashes :-(

It seems it has something to do with the ParagraphStyles that are in the Word document. If I try to place the DOCX file named "ThisDocumentDOESNTHaveParagraphStyles.docx", then InDesign doesn't crash.

Attached is a screen video capture of the process (rename .jpg in .mp4 please)

Please help!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per discussion over email, the crash is being faced in InCopy CC2014 while working with Smart Connection(external plugin).
    We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InCopy 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.
    _
    Adobe InCopy Team

12. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per discussion over email, the crash is being faced in InCopy CC2014 while working with Smart Connection(external plugin).
    We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InCopy 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.
    _
    Adobe InCopy Team

13. CC 2019 crashes on macOS when running SDK plug-in

Specifically, the crashes at code "actionManager->PerformAction(activeContext, kOpenStructureWinActionID)".
    Our code uses that action to show/hide the structure view.
    And the crash also be reproducable in the sample plugin from InDesign SDK.

Only occurs on macOS, Windows do not have the issue.

The steps are:
    1. Compile the plugin "SnippetRunner.sdk.InDesignPlugin" which is in InDesign CC 2019 SDK.
    2. Load it in InDesign.
    3. Create a new blank document
    4. On SnippetRunner[US] panel, select ManipulateStructureView from dropdown list.
    5. Click Go icon, and choose ChangeStructureViewState(toogle)
    6. Click OK button
    7. Crash.

Crash log attached.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. InDesign crashes when editing text

21.5" iMac with 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6
    12 GB RAM
    360+ GB of hard disk space

When attempting to copy text from a word document into 28 Mb file in InDesign, InDesign freezes... endless spinning color wheel. Problem is persistent - every time I try to copy a paragraph of text. It even occurred when I tried typing the paragraph of text.

Tried updating InDesign CC
    Tried uninstalling and reinstalling
    Tried using Story Editor to edit text box.

Apple crash report attached.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Create outlines in a document with conditional text crashes

I have four InDesign templates created, two use conditional text while the other two do not. I have no problem creating outlines of the document without the conditional text. Every time I try to create outlines of a page in a document with conditional text, I get the endless spinning wheel and have to force quit.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Impossible d'envoyer le "rapport d'incident" à cause du mél

Le rapport d'incident n'est pas envoyé car l'adresse mél qui existe bien n'est pas reconnue. Cf. copie d'écran en PJ.
    Indesign CC 2019, Windows 10.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.2

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the update process.

Adobe InDesign team

17. Indesign crashes every time opening in Mojave 10.14.4.

Indesign crashes every time opening in Mojave 10.14.4.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing, nothing works. Is there a fix?

This problem is causing work deadlines to fail.

Is there a way to completely erase all traces of Indesign CC 2019 from my Mac and start fresh?

Here is the crash report attached as a text file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. Start freeze

When I start InDesign 2019 a pop-up appears that's white. After a while the Adobe logo appears and the loading icon. But that's it. No other menu entries are active
    If I close the pop-up the programm closees

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. CC Libraries panel crashes on right-click

Whenever right-clicking on any item in the CC Libraries panel, the panel crashes. Rebooting computer, restarting InDesign, and resetting preferences did not fix the issue.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. crash

For several days we've had crashes while Indesign CC 2019 (14.0.01) being idle. Might be because links (*.psp and/or *.indd) are breaking due to network issues, but should not crash even so, just say links are broken. This has resulted in several files corrupted and cannot be restored even if those documents themselves are not affected by the broken links. The Indesign temp-files also seem to become corrupt (often showing 0 byte size).

I've sent several crash reports and heard nothing.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base