Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

520 results found

1. I can't open any file after upgrading to Catalina 15.10.1

Yesterday I switched from Mojave to the new version of MacOS Catalina (15.10.1), and InDesign CC 2019 (updated to version 14.0.3) immediately after switching to the new operating system started to no longer open the files, either from the "Open file" both by double clicking on the file (I also tried to open the files as a copy, but InDesign also crashes in that case).
    Point out that I also tried uninstalling InDesign and erasing all preferences, but the situation is not solved.
    I kindly ask you to resolve the situation (which is not the downgrade to the old Mojave…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.2

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the update process.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. InDesign crashes sporadically while scaling/rotating objects

I've noticed numerous times that InDesign will crash while scaling/rotating objects. Can you please fix this bug?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Crashes on quick apply

My InDesign crashes when I use the quick apply shortcut (command enter).

Computer specs
    Mac Mini (late 2012)
    OS X 10.13.6
    8GB RAM

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. large footnote

When I touch up the large footnotes, The indesign file got corrupted

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Deleting a table row containing text crashes InDesign

Quite simply, deleting a table row with 3 columns and a combination of text and font awesome crashes when using right click -> delete -> row.

I can replicate the issue every single time across multiple documents.
    The current workaround for me is to delete all the content in the table row then deleting the row seems to be OK.

Indesign: 15.0.1
    Mac OS: Mojave 10.14.6 (MacBook Pro)
    Note: This didn't happen on InDesign v14.0.3.

Thanks,
    Aaron

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Autoflow Text is Crashing InDesign

Autoflow text is crashing InDesign. The progress bar gets to about 90% and then it crashes.

The text document is about 50,000 words, so it's nothing unusual.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

7. InDesign 2020 hangs, had to Force Quit

Closed a document, leaving InDesign open with no documents open, then tried to quit InDesign. No response. After about a minute, had to Force Quit.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

As confirmed by the customer that upgrading to latest version InDesign CC 15.0.2 the issue is resolved.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

8. crash

Very often when trying to save as InDesign is crashing making me lost my un saved work.

I can't attach a file since my computer crash...

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. InDesign crashes when adding Cross-Reference

Adobe InDesign CC 14.0 (Macintosh)

I click Window > Type & Tables > Cross-References. With my cursor in a text box, I click "Create new cross-reference". Sometimes it crashes here; sometimes it opens the dialog.

When it opens the dialog, there is nothing in the Cross-Reference Format dropdown. I can click the pencil and open the Cross-Reference Format dialog and create a new format, but when I click OK the whole program crashes and closes out.

I am not experiencing freezing where I need to force-close -- it closes out completely, immediately.

I created a blank doc and am able…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Crash once PDF export complete

InDesign 15.0 seems to crash once a PDF export has completed.

Running Windows 7.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Crash when scaling text beound 1296 pt

I can repeatably make InDesign crash by:

1: Creating a big page (Mine is 250x100cm)
    2: Making a textframe and writing a short word (I wrote "café")
    3: Hit "E" and scale the frame by dragging the corners
    4: If I scale the frame so the point size is higher than 1296 pt InDesign will crash.

I am on InDesign 15.0.2 on MacOS 10.14.6

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. long text variable

InDesign (2020) crashes on opening IDML file with to long text variable as header. It worked in InDesign 2019.
    InDesign (2020) kraschar vid öppnande av IDML-fil som innehåller textvariabel med för mycket text. Det fungerade i InDesign 2019.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 2020 moving pages

If I move pages that have hyperlinks from a 2019 ID version (converted), the move crashes ID 2020. The only way to get the move to stop crashing ID 2020 is to delete all the hyperlinks in the source ID doc that was converted from ID 2019.

Version is ID 15.0.1 ... and doing a reboot didn't fix it. I also saved the converted file as IDML to try and remove the "corruption" (that has worked in the past) and the re-constituted INDD file still crashes ID 2020.

If I try to copy and paste a text block with links…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Copying anchored object from one ID doc to another crashes ID 15.0 on WIN 10

An anchored object text frame, with content and formatting copied from one ID Doc to another, will crash ID (15.0 x64 WIN 10). Same action in ID (14.03) works perfectly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. crash Indesign CC 2020 – Mojave 10.14.6

Hi,

I have the following situation.

Still working on Mojave 10.14.6, but using Indesign 2020.
    (iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017, iMac18.3, Intel Core i5, 16GB 2400MHz DDR4)
    As a precaution, I did not want to upgrade to Catalina 15.00 until I completed my current work.

Description of the Indesign file:
    Folder, 20 pages, complex data from Photoshop and Illustrator, various layers in Indesign.

Situation in Indesign 2020:
    unexpected, frequent crashes, especially when copying and pasting elements, when scrolling quickly within pages or when creating PDFs.

Situation in Indesign 2019:
    I then created an idml-file and opened it in Indesign 2019.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. Adding text to "chained" anchored textframes causing complete crash when text is added to one of the first three frames

Indesign 2020, Version 15.0.1, iMac with Mac OS 10.15.1:

We have hundreds of documents created in Indesign 2019 with "chained" anchored textframes, sometimes 4, sometimes 5 frames in a row. Frames are set to automatical height adjust. When text is added to one of the first three frames causing the frame to become higher than before Indesign chrashes completely without warning. Adding text to frame 4 or 5 does NOT create a crash! Same files work perfectly under Indesign 2019. Problem occured with first version of Indesign 2020, and remains after recent update.

Would love to attach an Indesign testfile,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Can't copy paste elements in Indesign 2020 - results in crash

When I try to copy some elements a message appears that I'm tryging to paste something, but I'm tryging to copy. If I press ok then it crashes. So, again, if I press CMD-C for copy, then I get the message that I'm about to paste something.. PLEASE FIX it soon - what ever it is..

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.2

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the update process.

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Indd file crashes when editing, including it into a book or during the book synchronization

After the Indesign update to the 2020 version I started to have problems with a single file: the program crashes every time I try to edit this file (in particular when I try to modify the content in the middle of the file, at the end of a series of tables), to include it in a book, or to synchronize a book which includes this corrupted file.
    I attach the corrupted file, so you can check
    Is there a solutions?
    Thank you

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base