Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

517 results found

1. Indesign freezes when loading .indd files from server

Every time I try to open a file with .indd extension from our server the program crashes-stops working, therefore I "force quit".
    It starts loading up to the point of the "missing links" notification message (if there are any) and it stops responding-freezes.

Tho when this same file is copied to the desktop it opens just fine.

Why and what is the reason and most importantly what is the solution for this problem?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. 12/05/19 Updates in Indesign

Update on 12/05/19 caused stability issues in Indesign. Since this update, my indesign has been crashing, unresponsive, and about as bad as AI. This program is my workhorse and I need it to function. Documents take about 5-10 minutes to open, even longer to save, and scrolling in multi-page documents is tough because it lags so hard.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Book/Index

Indesign CC 2019 und Indesign CC 2018:
    Absturz beim Generieren des Index bei einem Buch mit vielen Kapiteln.
    Das Buch hat 156 Kapitel (von 1 Seite bis 30 Seiten) - beim Aktualisieren des Index reproduzierbarer Absturz.
    Das Buch hat 822 Seiten.
    Kein Crashreport möglich - der Dialog erscheint nicht (auch nach REG Datei nicht).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Problem with Object and Table menu

I'm running the latest version of InDesignCC 2020 v.15.0. Every time I go to the Object or Table menu, InDesign crashes. This happens every time, I had that problem in the previous versions of InDesign, but it is getting really bad now.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. optical margin alignement

The settings for the optical margin alignment are changed after a program crash (InDesign 13.1.1.): Either (more often) the option is deactivated, but occasionally it is also activated. The text will be wrapped completely new accordingly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. Adobe InDesign CC2017 not working on MacOS Catalina

Adobe indesign CC 2017 ne fonstionne pas du tout sur mon Mac depuis que la mise à jour MacOS CAtalina a été installé.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

MacOS 10.15(Catalina) is not supported platform for Adobe InDesign CC2017.
    In macOS10.15 Apple enforced strict 64bit rules . Older apps having 32bit components won’t be able to run on Catalina.
    InDesign CC 2017 also has few 32bit components hence, it will not run properly on macOS10.15.

Recommendation:
    Either move back to macOS10.14 OR update Adobe InDesign to latest version that is complete 64bit.

8. Applescript Droplet: InDesign 2020 issue

A much used droplet to export one or more InDesign documents to PDF (with dialog and settings) will not work with InDesign 2020 (v15.0.0.155) anymore (fine with InDesign CC 2019). InDesign 2020 opens the first (or the only) document. I can select options in the upcoming dialogue box, but then crashes immediately by clicking OK with an error message (see screenshot).

However, the same base code of the script works directly from InDesign to export the active document to PDF without any problems.

InDesign 2020 may not handle "on open ..." and / or "repeat with ..." in the droplet…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

As per the confirmation received from the customer the issue no longer reproducible in Id 15.0.1.
    We are closing the thread for now.

Thank you,
    InDesign Team

9. Stroke edit crash

I create a line with either the pen tool or the line tool. I select the line and open the properties palette. I select the 'stroke' button and open the stroke palette. I click the 'line end' or 'line beginning' to change the end to an arrow, bullet end, etc. InDesign hangs for a moment and then crashes.
    I have submitted multiple crash reports from the crash window that pops up and have received no response from Adobe. It has been going on for months.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. freeze

1. ID version 14.0.3.
    2. I launch ID.
    3. Buttons should normally be clickable
    4. However, ID freezes after appr. 1 second and nothing is remotely clickable. Only way to close the program is by shutting it down via taks manager
    5. ----
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Indesign crashes with 0xc0000005 executing a script that works with tables

Hi all,

I have a extend script that works with tables. It always works fine executed in Extend Script Toolkit, but when I want to rise it from Adobe Indesign, it always make the aplication to crash with an 0xc0000005 error. Not always crashes at the same line and not always crashes in the same table. Simply a random number of tables in the document are procesed, but always crashes before finish.

Indesign version: CS6 8.0 version (I also have tried with a trial 2019 version and also crashes!!).

We are totally desperated. Please, help!!

Thanks…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Indesign Crashes Every time I Attempt to Change the Font With Arrow Keys

This just started happening this week. Every time I highlight my text, click on the font box, and attempt to cycle through fonts with my up and down arrow keys, Indesign freezes until I have to force it to quit.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference. I tried a dozen times. It used to work in previous versios

ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference. I tried a dozen times. It used to work in previous versions

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. InDesign Crashing when inserting footnote or carriage return

Running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 and inDesign CC 2019.

I have used InDesign since it replaced PageMaker, and PageMaker for a decade before that. It almost never misbehaves ... so I am grieved to report that I just crashed InDesign three times in a row.

I am editing an existing 20-page, single-column document. The first two times I tried to insert a footnote, InDesign crashed dramatically -- the windows disappeared and the program icon in my Dock no longer showed the dot indicating an open application. The third time I inserted a carriage return and InDesign crashed the same way.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. InDesign 2009

InDesign 2019 on Windows7 physical device, Not Responding shortly after program launch. Have tried removing Users Local profile folder incase of a corrupt Cache file. Still not working.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. can't export tagged pdf

Much time has been spent setting up accessible document in InDesign - added export tagging instructions to paragraph styles, added alt text to all images and figures, anchored images and objects to text, set up reading order using articles. The document will not export to PDF when "create tagged pdf" is selected. Program crashes every time before exporting is complete. Have tried on different computers. Applications are up to date. Have tried exporting from .indd and .idml file types.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

17. InDesign 14.0. freezes after opening

After opening InDesign 14.0 I can open project. But as soon a leave first running screen with InDesign, work on 2nd Screen or even just opening explorer or browse in the internet, InDesign 14.0 is freezing. I cannot even close it. I have to restart the system. In fact I cannot work with it. I have to run 13.1 (2018) to work with ID.
    I am working with Desktop PC and Win10

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

18. [Windows] InDesign/InCopy CC2018 is crashing on document close (icml file with anchored pdf file)

InDesign/InCopy CC2018 have an issue with PDF (and probably AI) files used as anchors in text frames when the Display Performance/Vector Graphics option is set to High Resolution.

Steps to reproduce:
    As I'm unable to attach a zip file in here (why?) here's the link to the example:
    https://adobe.ly/2Uc2pcN

1. Start InDesign/InCopy (with settings/cache cleared)
    2. Menu: Edit -> Preferences -> Display Performance -> Adjust View Settings -> Vector Graphics [set to: High Resolution]
    3. Open "crash-example.idml" file.
    4. Select "Update Links" in the dialog (if asked)
    5. Replace crash-example.icml file with a file found in "replace-file-1" folder
    6. Update Content of the text frame (menu…
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Creating a catalogue with a large table FREEZING in indesign CC 2019

We've been making a large catalogue pricelist for over 13 years using indesign.

We're now stuck on the 2017 (12.1.0) version.
    We want to update it, but in the latest version, importing our pricelist from excel into a table, slows the whole thing down to an unworkable speed.

info:
    the table is around 13000 rows by 10 columns. so not small.
    it does import in the 2017 version. slow to import in both, but can use and work on after import in 2017 version.
    2019, freezes when scroll used, and take 1-3 mins to unfreeze. Scroll again or do anything…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

FIXED  ·  3 comments  ·  Crash/Freeze/Hang  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. crashes while exporting with long file names

My InDesign Seems to crash every time I try to export a file to pdf with a filename that is longer than 40 characters. We have to have the file names this long due to our naming conventions.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base