Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. GREP failure

InDesign 2019 14.0.2 has created a new bug with GREP. If you search for any character, InDesign jumps half way through the file.
    So, for example, if you click the cursor at the start of the document, instead of GREP finding the very first character that you search for, it instead jumps towards the end of the document.
    So, for example, if you do a search for the letter 'a' in GREP, it will miss most of the document out and find the first one towards the end of the document.
    To confirm this, if you do a search and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. find change

'Change' button is greyed out when attempting to find and replace text. I'm using ID 11.0.0.72 x64 build on Windows 10. This is a very old issue.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InDesign performance issue: Hand tool freezes

10.12.6 Sierra
    Hand tool freezes and no other tool can be selected. It won't unfreeze unless I shut down entire computer. This is a recurring issue.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    In order to reproduce the issue we sent information to all the affected users who have either voted or commented on this thread.
    Based on the replies we got we could infer that the issue is occurring when a third party software or application is also running in parallel. Some examples of the software used include Global Auto-correct, Google Chrome,
    Moreover, when the issue occurs it seems to hamper all CC applications such as Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop.
    A possible fix for the solution includes restarting the application or restarting the system.

In the absence of any consistent reproducible steps, we are currently closing this thread as “not reproducible”. In case you again encounter the issue, please create a new thread mentioning the steps with which we can reproduce the issue and additional softwares, if in case any, that you are using.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

4. stuck on type tool

I'm stuck on the Type tool. It won't let me select or change my tools at all. I've had to shut down and restart three times now. Whenever I get into the type tool, it stays and I can't get out or click anywhere else. Keyboard shortcuts do not work

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. cannot undo or save

I have InDesign CC 2019 installed and updated, and it is completely unusable. Cannot undo or save my work. This is more than a bug. Advice?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Standard shortcuts cannot be substituted

InDesign CC 14.0.1 x64 - It appears that as-standard shortcuts cannot be substituted, even though they show as if they have been. Specifically the 'W' shortcut. I want to substitute Ctrl+Alt+W in a new custom list based on the default list. This avoids any possibility of entering W in text. Even though I substitute the new command and remove the standard command, the new command does not work but the old one still does. I previously was able to do this with my previous version software.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Can't move anything with selection tool

Mac OS Sierra v 10.12.6 and Indesign 2019
    Since yesterday I can't work. I can use the selection tool to move things around. I only can move things using the X and Y boxes or the arrows. It is impossible to work. Who do I have to call? There is no solution anywhere, after trying so many things. I finally installed and then installed back InDesign and nothing has changed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. ALT key results in stall

Pressing the ALT key - be that for zooming out, using a fitting option, or any other shortcut, slows indesign to the point of non-performance, sometimes for 20 seconds or more. Happens primarily when I'm in a document with more pages/items. Have uninstalled all adobe programs and reinstalled, hasn't fixed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Project won't open form 'Recent' page

Upon launching InDesign, I'm prompted the startup page with my most recent projects. When I click on any of those projects I get a dialogue box that says, "Either the file does not exist, you do not have permission, or the file may be in use by another application"

The files have not been moved or modified. When I go up to the menu bar at the top and do File > Open Recent and choose the same project there, it opens just fine.

Any reason it would be doing this?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. scrubby zoom will not turn off

Scrubby/Animated zoom suddenly appeared when I opened Indesign today and I cannot not turn off. The option is no longer in the Preferences (I searched all categories). I have installed no updates recently.

version 14.0.1
    Mac OS 10.13.6

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Short Cut Keys no longer work in Indesign 2019

Indesign 2019
    Most of the old standard short cut keys no longer work and I cannot find anywhere what the new ones are or if I can change to a legacy mode. I'm talking basic old school short cuts like "space" to bring up the hand tool temporarily and the "shift" key to proportionately scale an object. Can anyone help me out with this as my productivity is grinding to a halt and I am not happy one bit.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Mouse Lags when Browsing Over Pages Panel

When mousing over the pages panel, the mouse movements slow to a crawl. Mousing over the rest of InDesign UI is fine and acts as expected; it is only when trying to navigate the pages panel; at this point the cursor slows down and becomes difficult to move around.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Keyboard Shortcut Ctrl+Shft+G (Ungroup) acts strange

In Windows 10, Indesign 14.0:

Ungrouping with keyboard shortcut only works when I:

1. hold Ctrl+LeftShift,

2. then touch RightShift (while holding Ctrl+LeftShift) (????)

3. press G (while still holding Ctrl+LeftShift)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. anchored text boxes move unexpectedly when resized

For some time, when you anchor a text box within a table cell or another text box and resize it, it does not appear to have a fixed point that it is resizing from so dragging from any point causes the anchored text box to jump up or move in an unexpected direction. Thus, to make a tiny tweak to the size of the anchored box requires a lot of effort (multiple nudges in various directions) to get it to where it should be instead of just one click and drag and it staying put as you resize.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. fi creates embedded subset

When I use the two letters "fi" in that order, when I export PDF, I get embedded subsets. This is on multiple fonts.
    if I switch the case of f"I" to fI upper case (EYE), then the embedded subset issue goes away. (the case of the first letter "f" does not matter.
    example so words:
    first
    fit
    profit
    indentifies

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. No Break slows down InDesign CC 2019

When No Break is added to multiple words, it slows down InDesign CC 2019 14.01 tremendously.
    We use No Break very often in our texts, e.g. to keep web site addresses, email addresses and allergens together as this is a requirement from our customer.
    This was never a problem in older versions but something seems to be changed in InDesign.
    Below I added a dropbox link to an .idml file containing an auto-size text frame filled with text. The highlighted words (allergens) have No Break applied. Editing the text frame in an older version of InDesign works smoothly. Doing the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. No Break slows down InDesign CC 2019

When No Break is added to multiple words, it slows down InDesign CC 2019 14.01 tremendously.
    We use No Break very often in our texts, e.g. to keep web site addresses, email addresses and allergens together as this is a requirement from our customer.
    This was never a problem in older versions but something seems to be changed in InDesign.
    I added an .idml file containing an auto-size text frame with some text (allergens). Editing the text frame in an older version of InDesign works smoothly. Doing the same thing in CC 2019 goes very slow.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. InDesign CC2019: When using on multiple display monitors, moving placed objects makes the other display flash.

When using InDesign on multiple display monitors, moving placed objects makes the other display flash black.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Read only randomly occurs when saving

InDesign CC randomly goes into read only mode when we go to File>Save. Our only option at that point is to go to Save As and rename the file. This is clunky, scary, and should not be happening. We have new iMacs with Mojave OS.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base