Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Indd file size optimization

The filesize of the .indd file increases with every new linked image and is not reset after deleting old images from the workspace.
    If you use the save as function and overwrite the file, the size of the .indd file is much smaller (like 190 MB before and 12 MB after).

InDesign should clean up the file with every normal saving process !

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ellipses not found by Find/Replace

Version of Adobe InDesign
    14.0.2 x64

Steps to reproduce the issues
    1. Placed a Word document. Reformatted etc - lots of work done.
    2. Tried to Find/Replace all ellipses to ensure they have a Thin Space before and after. InDesign Find/Replace finds no ellipses (but I am looking at them, having already replaced three periods with ellipses throughout the document).
    3. Tested in a new document - problem does not occur there. But it does if I paste the text from the previous document in.
    4. Tried exporting to IDML and re-opening to remove any corruption. This made no difference. …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. No Gpu performance

Version of Adobe InDesign : 14.0.3
    Version of MacOS : Catalina (10.15)

Steps to reproduce the issues :
    Go to : preferences , GPU performances

Expected result :
    Enable Gpu performances

Actual result :
    Impossible to enable GPU - Performance

Tested on the Beta of Indesign and it work

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Indesign: Slow performance (solution)

InDesign documents are almost unavailable (almost every process).

Problem: Text Frame Options> Balance Colums> Check

Workaround: Uncheck

(InDesign CC 14.0.3 - Windows 7)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Resized vectors not displaying properly in high quality display mode on drag

14.0.2 x64 on Windows 10

Steps:
    1. High Quality display mode (default settings)
    2. Place any EPS vector file.
    3. Attempt to resize it while holding ctrl-shift to maintain ratios.

Expected result:
    The vector file, resized.

Actual result:
    Grey box. I have to zoom in or out to get the screen to "refresh" and show the correct image.

Similar issue happens with placed AI file. Very simple, clearly. Just a triangle. Made in the latest version of Illustrator.

The Youtube button is an EPS.

Related: If I use the option "Greek Vector Graphics on Drag" it performs correctly, only now…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. I have Adobe InDesign 14.0.2 x64, and my book chapters keep showing a spinning wheel when i try to make any change

I have Adobe InDesign 14.0.2 x64, and my book chapters keep showing a spinning wheel when i try to make any change. Say I need to add one letter, after doing so the ball has to spin 10 times until i can do anything else. This is extremely time consuming and is wasting my time when I have to wait 2 minutes after any tiny change before I can make another. I have seen others posting issues about this over a year ago. All fixes people have suggested do nothing for me. Please help.
    In reading that it could be…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. CPU over 100% - inDesign not usable

Within in hour of using inDesign the CPU goes up to 1000% of CPU usage without any reasons. No matter if I'm working on a blanc space or big files, it react over time.

Quick solution is to restart the application, within 1 hour of using the CPU goes up again.

I reinstalled the application and work on a new account.

Specs:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27 Zoll, End 2015)
    4 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Bugs with GPU, Bugs without GPU (zoom, moving objects, create text)

(Working on Adobe InDesign 14.0.2.)

Hi there,

so for a couple of weeks, my Indesign behaves quite badly.
    For demonstration purposes, I created a new blank file but these bugs also occur in existing work projects.

Case 1: GPU switched on (Image: GPU on):
    Zooming does not show any effect, only when I click in and change something. The rulers change, but my board/document is not zooming in (Video: Zooming with GPU). As soon as I found my page, the objects don't really move that well, more in a lagging, stocking way. (Video: Moving Objects with GPU).

This leads to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. bug after ID update to 14. the programm language was changed from german to english

bug!
    after ID update to 14. the programm language was changed from german to english.
    Please fix it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. I lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality (everything is grayed out). To save my work, I have to export as an IDML .

Lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality while working.
    To save my work, the only thing to do is to export as an IDML file. Force quitting to recover the file doesn't work. This has been happening to me since InDesign 5.5. I am currently using InDesign CC 2018. There are no particular steps, it happens at random. I can have several files open and it only happens to one file, or sometimes it's more than one file. It happens whether I'm working off of my Desktop or on our server.

103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

218 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As part of the investigation into the cause of this issue, we personally reached out to many of you over email. We have so far heard from only some of you.

Of the responses we have received, the conclusion we’ve come to is:
    This issue was intermittent, happened once during the course of work but somehow got resolved and has not happened again. This issue can’t be reproduced now.

Over a period of time, this thread has not thrown any fresh clues on why this issue seems to occur randomly for some and then seems to resolve itself. So we’re closing this thread.

However, even though we’re closing this thread, if you again run into this issue any time on a consistent basis, please report it here on UserVoice (in a new thread) with supporting assets like:
    A) a test file,
    B) detailed steps to replicate the issue
    C) any…

11. can't close file

Running InDesign CC 17 (12.1.0.56). Having to quit app every time I want to close a file. When trying to close file, application frame remains, but I can not close it or minimize it, or open other files. Am quitting app every time I need to open a new file.

Running Mojave 10.14.6

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Alt key modifier keeps toolbar active after use when zooming in using scroll wheel

Not sure when this started happening, I only know that it's started irritating the heck out of me quite recently. I'm on Win 10 using InDesign 14.0.2

Whenever I alt+scroll using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out, InDesign switches focus to the toolbar so that the next keyboard press will enact the menu.

It becomes an issue when for example zooming into an active text box, if you need to type F, E, L, T, O, A, V, W, or H, after using alt+scroll you end up bringing up the View menu as soon as you hit the V key.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    As per our understanding the issue is as follows:
    Launch InDesign.
    1. Press alt+scroll using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out.
    2. InDesign switches focus to the menu-bar so that the next keyboard press will enact the menu shortcut.
    3. Type F, E, L, or T after using alt+scroll

Result:
    Menu entry is opened from the control strip (example View menu as soon as you hit the V key).

Expected:
    Key press should select the suitable tool denoted by that key

This has been the behavior since quite long and does not look like a break in behavior.
    Please can you confirm?

Thanks

13. LENTEUR InDesign

Bonjour, cela fait 20 n'as que j'utilise InDesign mais depuis 2 ans avec la nouvelle version CC . C'est devenu un calvaire de travailler avec cette application.
    Faîtes quelque chose de sérieux avant que je me tourne vers autre chose... ça devient insupportable.

La réponse ne peut pas être désactiver des application tierce comme suit case et font explorer, ces applications sont indispensables avec Indesign.

Donnez moi une solution pérenne. merci

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. shift doesn't work at all

I updated the version yesterday.... shift doesn't work any more!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Printing seems to change a document

When the only thing done is printing an InDesign document, the app acts if there were any changes made: when closing, it asks wheter to save the changes.
    This is very confusing, since it makes the user think something was changed by accident. Please make InDesign close the document without the save dialog, if nothing was changed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. InD responding slowly

This isn't a "bug" per se, but InD has slowed to a crawl when using. Doesn't matter if I am trying to select text, change tools, or click on a menu item. It's been going very slow for a while now, doesn't matter the file. I have tried to trash preferences and reinstall InD, and nothing has changed it. Oh, and I just have major lag, not a spinning ball.

I am Win10, InD CC 14.0.2. The only plug-in I am running is Suitcase Fusion, and that is up to date as well.

Help please, as InDesign is unusable at…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. indesign cursor lag

My cursor is lagging while passing over portions of the Layers Panel specifically.
    I'm working on a Macbook Pro, with a BenQ GW2765 external monitor.
    The issue only happens while InDesign is on the external monitor, and it works fine while on the macbook pro.
    I've attached a video sample of the issue in action.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. New document dialog is extremly slow

If I want to create a new document the dialog news at least 10 sec to open. After that I can set my defaults but when I click the »create«-button it takes another 10 to 20 sec until the new document is created. The fans are blowing like ****.

InDesign 14.0.3

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. No Multi-Processor support for InDesign?

InDesign were and still is very slow. Now I work on an iMac 2017 with i7 processor with 4.2 GHz and Radeon Pro 580 8GB graphics with InDesign 14.0.1. The i7 is a Quadcore CPU but if InDesign works, it still works on just 1 Core! So InDesign ist still slow and the Beachball appears very often. Photoshop instead uses all the performance of this great machine.

Isn't it possible, to use all CPU-cores and maybe additionally the GPU with InDesign, to increase the performance?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Still not fixed—GREP search fails to find all the matching instances in long documents

An Adobe Indesign CC 2019 (version 14.0.2) file has fewer than 15K characters. A return, followed by the text “ppp”, appears 27 times in the file. They can all be found using the “Text” version of find, searching for “^ppp”. However, using the “GREP” version of find, searching for “\rppp”, only the last one is found. (I am running MacOS Mojave, version 10.14.5 on a MaxBook Pro, retina, 15 inch, mid 2015).

I followed the purported fix found at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/search-issue-in-long-documents.html but with no success.

Indesign files are invalid file types for attaching to this bug post; however I have a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base