Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. control panel disappears

Have upgraded to InD 2020 v 15.0.3 -- whenever i close all documents and then open a new one (i.e. when there is not already a doc open in InD), my control panel disappears and wont re-appear via tab or reset workspace. I have it set to floating. I have to close and restart my InD for the control panel to reappear again. Never had this problem before! Is this just my Mac or is it InD?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bug to open Indesign : page failed to load

I tried twice to install Indesign with my 7 days free but when I open it, it says me this message :
    "Page Failed to load.
    URL: file://Library/Application%20support/Adobe/CEP/extensions/cpm.adobe.ccx.start-2.10.0/index.html?v=2.10.0.21
    Error: ERRFILENOTFOUND (-6)
    ERR
    FILENOTFOUND"

What can I do to resolve this problem please ?
    Thank you !

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Power Efficiency

Since I've moved to working remotely entirely, I've noticed how quickly using several Adobe programs burns through my laptop battery. I'm running a brand new 16" Macbook Pro with the latest MacOS Catalina version, and I'm lucky if I get an hour and a half of battery life while running InDesign and Illustrator at the same time. When I review what is using the most battery life, my Mac lists InDesign, Illustrator, and Core Sync as the main culprits.

Now, I understand that these programs at times are fairly graphically intensive, but the battery life I'm getting is absymal, and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Not able to scroll down beyond page 2-3 spread

I have a 6-page document in spreads. I am unable to scroll down beyond pages 2-3 spread.

InDesign 15.0.3 x64

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Slow

Ever since these latest updates to InDesign, the performance is slow even with Display Performance set to Fast. I looked through the RAM and made sure no other settings were making it lag. I've uninstalled and reinstalled with no difference in performance. There shouldn't be a need to update InDesign so frequently, I've used Adobe products for over 10 years and these updates are making the usability go backwards.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow free assignment of keyboard shortcuts to paragraph styles

Please, can we make it possible to assign any keyboard shortcuts of choice to paragraph styles? Not everyone has a numpad on their keyboard

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. performance issues

I've never been complaining about InDesign, but the last updated version sucks hard. I have issues with my tablet, the smart guides are not measuring right, I got issues with type tool imagining object that doesn't exist. There issues with the other apps as well, the last year with Adobe CC has been really driving me crazy, the quality of performance it's just getting worse!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Slow performance

Lately InDesign is nearly unusable. Almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects comes with a really slow reaction time. Even when clicking between panels in the toolbar there is a delay of about half a second.

I have tried ruling out potential issues like updating graphic drivers and embedding all resources into the document. Nothing works it seems like the application is just unstable. Please advise, I love to work with indesign but this is overall a very bad user experience.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Trash performance with Adobe products. All Laggy

What is wrong with your software? 64 gig of ram and Indesign super slow!!!
    I dont want a sugar coated answer. If nobody there can give an answer to a huge issue with your software, (just google adobe slow for multiple examples of failure in your software), We will cancel our CC Subscription.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Text-fields behave strange after InDesign 2020 update

Since the release of InDesign 2020 there frequently appears a circumstantial bug, that is not reasonable in any way:

When i double click (edit) or just copy any text-box, suddenly the content is moving downwards (about 3pt), so that it disappears in overflow text and has to be realigned. It even happens when I copy and paste those Elements or duplicate the whole page, so one of the most fundamental functions became futile (image "Adobe-Indesign-Bug-duplicate.jpg")!

Additional the maximum height of the box, before the text disappears in overset, isn't depending on the contents height like in older versions, but is…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. InDesign ability to handle large files with many images / better rendering

Today in InDesign with large files (e.g. 320 pages, 400 images, many images 10MB JPEGs), presentation mode becomes bogged down with rendering the images and is unusable. Furthermore, using the page view large–jumbo sized views is very slow. On my 5k iMac, I can see that the CPU, the GPU, and the RAM are all available, so there is compute power to be had. Thus the feature request is to enable InDesign to use more HW and/or to have a way to store fully rendered images in a cache.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Cannot copy/paste elements from 2019 to 2020 without the element becoming an image

InDesign 2019 14.0.3 copy/paste issue into InDesign 2020 15.0.01 (and vice-versa).

Steps to reproduce:
    1. In a 2019 InD doc, copy a text box with text inside it.
    2. Open a new document in InD 2020.
    3. Paste the text box with text inside it into 2020 InD.
    4. The text becomes an image instead of live text. Though, no links show up in the links panel.
    5. This can be reproduced if copying from 2020 into 2019. But it does not happen if copying/pasting from a 2020 doc into a 2020 doc, 2019 doc into a 2019 doc.
    6.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. [Limited Undo] InDesign CC 2019 (v14.0) strg+z / cmd+z doesn't work properly

With the new Version the option to go back some steps seems to be cut at some point. I have been working on a couple of files now and going steps back with strg+z works for 2-3 steps. Somehow random but definitely not the way it used to work.

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

67 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Edit:
    Hello All,
    We acknowledge those comments where some of us have mentioned that the issue is still not fixed; we are already working on it.
    Please note that, in the earlier release we had fixed few cases which were leading to the issue.
    There are still few scenarios which are yet to be investigated and fixed.
    Unfortunately, this particular thread has become too generic.
    We request you to provide your comments in below provided new thread. Please do mention your observation while submitting the comment. It will help us in our ongoing investigation.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/38991835-undo-not-working-properly-in-indd-2020

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu…

15. InDesign 2020

InDesign is shutting down my palettes. So everytime i close out a document, my pallette set up disappears. Every. Time. I have to set up my pallettes every time and it is super frustrating. Is there a way (that I don't know) to keep my pallettes set up the way i want all the time? Also I am not touching tab, either.

Also, why is there not a mobile InDesign App for ipad?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. When working over VNC, often Tools cannot be chosen

When I connect to my Mac over macOS-VNC, I can use everything as needed. Unfortunately sometimes Indesign shows the hand and lets me use only the hand to move the page, although I clicked the Arrow e.g. and it is selected. I the cannot select Text, change sizes of boxes etc. The only remedy is to reconnect via VNC, but not every time that works. I do not have this with any other program than indesign, so I am starting my journey of finding the root of this here.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. WE MUST USE A SHARED SERVER

Files can randomly corrupt when using a shared server? Every respectable business uses a shared server! We can't put confidential info on employee desktops as is recommended by Adobe because they can't support a shared server! At minmum if you can't support a shared server then make back up files which can be accessed if a file is corrupt. And no, your recovery option doesn't work when a back up file is corrupt. I've just missed a deadline, spent a ton of money on lost work and need to recreat all the lost work. Thanks Adobe........for nothing!!! Adapt to your…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Username for inCopy Assignments

Please remove the function that demands a username assignment to each and every inCopy assignment that is exported. It is a ridiculously unnecessary function and completely inhibits workflow. This function, at the very least, should have a disable option. It ridiculously irritating.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. blacked out images with no broken links

InDesign ver 15.0.1
    I have a file that displayed all linked images correctly this morning. 90% of the images are linked from my desktop, which is also where the InDesign file is located. 2 of the linked images are from a network cloud server.

After disconnecting from the server and then reopening the file, all linked files appear to have broken links. However when, checking the Links panel, only the images that were linked from the server are broken. This makes sense except that all linked images populate the document as either a gray box or a solid black box.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base