Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign v15.0.3 Wants to Save with No Changes

InDesign v15.0.3 wants to save the document on closing, even if no edits are made to the file.

In addition, the folder the file is in is changed to the date opened.

This did not occur with v15.0.1 or 15.0.2

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Mouse cursor disappears after change text

Indesign 15.1, 15.1.1 Windows 10
    When I change text, mouse cursor disappears for few seconds (sometimes less, sometimes more). In this time I can't select anything.
    Please don't tell me: - reset preferences. I did it.
    Version 15.0.3 working OK.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Thesaurus

Hi
    I have just spent 1.5 hours on a chat with your team re using a thesaurus function in InDesign (which there isn't one)
    In design is a great product and amazingly intuitive with (almost) all the functions you need to create great documents however to use a simple function like a thesaurus I need to export to a .icml thingy which creates individual files for every chapter or section (filling up my files). Then you have to open each section individually in InCopy, which then creates a document that looks more like a 80' dot-matrix print out with no…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Reveal in Finder on NAS Server not working

When using InDesign 14.0.3, on mac OS X Catalina (10.15.1), ctrl clicking the .indd file's title bar to reveal in finder doesn't work (switches to finder but doesn't reveal) if the .indd file is stored on NAS RAID server. Server connection is afp://
    Revel in Finder command works fine if the .indd file is stored locally.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Adobe InDesign 2020 Super Slow

InDesign 2020 is super slow. I cannot have two files open at the same time anymore (a problem for me). The response time between mouse clicks is up to 10-30 sec! I have moved my files to an external drive (off of the network to eliminate VPN as the problem), still no improvement. It has crashed, and when prompted I have sent a report. My program is current 15.0.2.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Slow & stuttering performance since using 4K monitor

Hi

I've recently upgraded to a Dell UP2720Q 4K monitor.
    Since the upgrade i've notices that inDesign has become nearly unusable, Its slow when selecting objects, editing text, moving things around...

When moving Indesign to my second monitor (eizo s2433w) the problem goes away.

The only fix I have found is to change the display profile to "Apple RGB" in the display settings. This fixes the problem immediately, but now the colours look horrible...

I've also notices this problem with other Adobe apps like, illustrator and photoshop. But Indesign seems to have the worst of it.

1. Version of Adobe InDesign,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Slow InDesign

This latest update for late August/September is really really really slow. It lags crazy. It's not efficient to work in. Even with small documents.
    It's the most unpleasant InDesign experience ever!

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Type Tool Deactivates Itself

v15.0.3
    When selecting the Type Tool by using the keyboard shortcut (T), it briefly activates, then deactivates itself and the previous tool selected is made active again. I am unable to use the type tool in the brief period of time it is made active. I can select it successfully by clicking on the icon on the sidebar.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. inDesign 2020 removed the zoom view box from the top menu bar

This user is much unhappy that inDesign 2020 no longer provides the zoom view box that appeared in the top menu bar, directly to the right of the help tab. That was a fast, easy way to change the view size of the file in the screen.

I was told by Adobe that this feature was dropped because the screen size view could be achieved by other existing features. Sure... now one must pull down a tab, then go to another command and activate a feature like zoom in and zoom out. And that only shifts the view in or…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The change was made to reduce the UI clutter for the user and it was moved to the bottom left of the screen in the Status bar where other controls like page navigation, preflight profiles, etc. are available.

To continue using this feature, we can suggest a simple workaround which takes less than a minute to accomplish – just open the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog, choose Views, Navigation from the Product Area drop-down, select the ‘Access zoom percentage box’ from the list of commands and assign a shortcut – example, Ctrl-Alt-5. You can customize the keyboard shortcuts as you like and save a new Keyboard Shortcut Set.

Meanwhile, we are reviewing this request.

Adobe InDesign team

10. Modifier keys for transform not working

Transforming a selection normally can be influenced by holding down Shift and/or Command to respectively Constrain Rroportions and choose to Scale from center.

But in InDesign 2020 on Mac OS Catalina this stopped working. Maybe due to a system setting (no antivirus is active at the moment).

Does anyone know how to get back this essential functionality?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Proportional Scaling, Duplicating, Moving objects aligned doesn't work anymore!

I updated to Indesign 2020 … now: Proportional Scaling Using Shift+Mouse does not work. Duplicating using Alt+Shift+Mouse does not work. Moving objects in same Line using Shift+Mouse does not work.

These are critical features – why won't they work anymore?
    Even in Indesign 2019 they don't work anymore since the update …

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. In InDesign CC 2019 slow Reaction Time on clicking from one object to another.

Using InDesign CC 14.0 on Windows 10. I have an magazine layout with text and picture boxes, of course. When clicking from one box to another, there is a long delay, a temporary freeze. Eventually (20-30 seconds) it awakens and I can move on. But it's happening more frequently, even after a reboot.

Is this an issue of my computer talking to Adobe servers?

Nothing to screen shot, there is no message.

103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

122 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Following up on the comments stating that the issue is yet not fixed, we did our investigation and found that, the issues being called out in the comment section, though maybe relevant but are different than the one for which this thread was originally created.

This particular thread caters to a very specific case which has been fixed in the last update of InDesign.

If you continue to face performance related issues with InDesign, we sincerely request you to create a separate thread so that we can categorize the performance related issues and address them completely.
    In addition to track the performance issues effectively, it will also enable us to reach out to you in a organised manner when we investigate into each category of performance issues.

We are extremely sorry for the troubles you are facing with InDesign and we are determined to resolve them as efficiently…

13. Separation Preview Bug

Separation preview will scrambled when you jump to next page and turn any colour separation off, the text and image from previous page will show on the current display page.

This issue has beed existed since version 2017 to 2020. I saw some users are facing same issue from previous version and not been fix all these years.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. experiencing bug when sending project from Adobe Comp CC to Indesign CC

I get a dialouge box in Indesign CC when eksportering/transferring project from Adobe Comp cc on my mobile device to laptop with InDesign CC.

It says - losely translated from danish:
    "The file "filename.idml" can not be opened. Adobe Indesign doesn't support this file format. You might be missing an extra module that supports this format or the file is possibly open in another program.

See attached screenshot.

How do I solve this? It works when sending to photoshop and illustrator. Used to work with InDesign too.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Major performance issues in 15.0.2 with multiple large documents open

I'm on a Windows laptop with a Core i7, 16 gb of ram and a dedicated GPU. Up until the 15.0.2 update there was some hitching and slowdown with these large files (and I noticed a weird bug where hitting T to use the Type tool doesn't actually change the tool) but now editing text can take up to 10 minutes with more than one file open. I can't make a screencast at the moment since I had to reinstall 15.0.1 to complete the project on time but the filesize we're talking about is 50-75mb, ~60 pages or so with…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Stop hiding the known issues, and release notes for each release

Where's the link that leads to the latest releases known issues list? It's hard enough to find the release notes for the newest version release.

It should be a simple link right under the is this compatible with your computer info in The creative cloud desktop app.

I need the list of known issues with the latest release to determine whether or not I'm going to upgrade to it or wait until a critical issue is resolved.

Sometimes an issue will not be in the feature I use so I will update other times it is something that will majorly…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. InDesign VERY SLOW almost UNUSABLE

InDesign is slow to almost unworkable. Mac OS Mojave, vs 10.14.6, InDesign 14.0.3. Copy an image, import an image, save the file, etc. Turned off preflight,
    Everything is extremely slow. Disable Suitcase and that did nothing to improve InDesign's performance. Have no other 3rd party plugins. I reinstalled 14.0.3 didn't help. Uninstalled 14.0.3 and installed 14.0.2 didn't help. So slow! Barely workable and can't finish my work on time.
    I'm using an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) ,3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Trackpad scroll issues with InDesign v15.0.2 on new MacBook Pro 16" 2.4 GHz 8 core processor 64GBmemory. .

InDesign v15.0.2 Trackpad is not scrolling well on new MacBook Pro 16" 2.4 GHz 8 core processor 64GBmemory. I just upgraded my equipment to top of line MacBook Pro. and bought the subscription to Adobe all apps. I have been using 2013 MacbookPro with CS6. My files are unresponsive in Indesign. I typically collage with 600+ photoshop images to make is single design on multiple pages. On my old system I was not running into problems except new OS was incompatible with CS6.

This is unacceptable. I called Adobe and they were not helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. CEPHtmlEngine

CEPHtmlEngine (as seen in activity monitor)

What's this??

Using Indesign CC 2020 on Macos Catalina 10.15.1

Sometimes one of these CEPHtmlEngines (7 or 8, I don't know what these processes do, and 'helpers') uses to 80%, the fan goes up, sometimes a beachball. What can I do to ged rid of this??

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Jumping to wrong tabs

Hi, when I try to click on the File menu, it keeps jumping to Window instead. That goes for any menu item I try to open. I'm using the 2018 version of InDesign on Windows.

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base