Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

931 results found

1. Fonts search and list not working properly

Indesign doesn't let me search for fonts in the search bar of the fonts list dropdown. I can start typing, and then one font comes up, and I can't continue typing to bring up the font I want.
    Also, once I start typing in the fonts bar, I can no longer use my arrow keys to scroll through the fonts list and it's very frustrating.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. When adding a list to a Right to Left Paragraph, tab leader disappers

1. InDesign (Middle East) 18.1.0.51

2. In a Right to Left Text Frame type a few words in a Right to Left Paragraph direction, following by tab with a period leader definition and then type a any any number so you will get dots between the last word and number (like in TOC). See in the attached image. Selceet one of the list options (numbering or bullets) to see the tab leader disaapers.

3. Numbers or Bullets should be added at the begining without change the rest of the text.

4. The Tab leader disappers (see attached image)

An ID prepared documnet can be…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. ?bug re bulleted lists in v18

I have just opened an InDesign document I created in Aug 2022. I am now using InDesign v18.1 x42. It converted the document from Shivani.indd to Shivani.indd[converted], as I see it does when you open documents created in previous versions.

However, all my bulleted lists are no longer bulleted lists, they are just text, with the bullet symbol and a single space at the start of each line. When I select the text the bulleted list icon in “Bullets and Numbering” is no longer highlighted. But more of a problem is that clicking on “options” in “Bullets and Numbering” brings…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Mysterious page breaks

Through several InDesign versions there is a problem with unintended page/column breaks. The bug is discussed in this forum thread:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/trouble-with-quot-mystery-quot-page-breaks-in-indesign/m-p/10838596
    The workaround to remove Keep options and Balance ragged lines isn't a good one, I really need those options in a lot of my styles.
    Sometimes it's enough to type a space at the end of the paragraph before the mysterious break for everything to pop back. This bug is a huge problem in collaboration with our InCopy clients who are not experienced users.
    The bug is currently frequently encountered in both ID 17.4 and 18.0, but have been…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Paste with Formatting Button Obscures Text

The new button to paste with or without text formatting is positioned so it covers up punctuation at the end of the text. This is a problem because you can't tell if the punctuation is correct and present unless you deselect, press Esc, etc. The button should be positioned lower, like the old OpenType button so all the text and punctuation can be clearly seen.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Font menu doesn't jump to the selected font in the list when font menu preview is enabled

Pre-Indesign 18.0 when accessing the font menu it jumps to the position in the list of the current font.

The same action in indesign 18.0 - the current font is selected in the Recent Fonts section as the top of the list. This is quite annoying.

If Front Preview is disabled in preferences, the pre-18.0 behaviour is the result, but of course there is then no preview.

EDIT: I set Type preferences - Number of recent font to display = 0 which has resolved my issue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. indesign not identifying type 1 fonts

InDesign is no longer identifying Type1 fonts in the find/replace window even when a customer is clearly still using Type1 fonts. Also no longer seeing the blue warning banners. InDesign v18.0

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. consecutive Footnote numbering across book file with multiple sections

Currently InDesign can't have consecutive numbering across it's footnotes if you have a publication made up of a number of book files.
    It always restarts at one.
    That's hopeless if you're doing an annual report where you need consecutive numbering across the entire book.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Text glitch in paragraph following uneven 2 column text

This is from InDesign version 17.3 but it's happened in earlier versions of InDesign CC. Text paragraph after an uneven 2-column list is overlapped onto a single line. Happens only when the right-hand column is longer than the left. This error was from a 500-page hardcover book where the author printed 100s of copies!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Option Type > Fill with Placeholder Text doesn't work

Nothing happens when I click on the menu option "Type > Fill with Placeholder Text". Version: Indesign 17.3 x64, System: Windows 10 Pro.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Can't type letter "n" in text boxes

For some reason I can't type the letter "n" in text boxes in indesign v 17.3 on Windows 10.

In some text boxes, typing "n" does not generate the letter. In tables, typing "n" can sometimes change the cell style or paragraph style, and does not generate the letter.

I don't have caps lock or a stuck control / alt key ... Everything else is working fine.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Text wrap around anchored objects needs to work according to settings. It is inconsistent and erratic.

Text wrap refuses to wrap properly around my anchored objects regardless of anchor placement in the paragraph or text wrap offset settings.

This causes the object to overlap the text and/or have inconsistent margin offset around the object. It's erratic and inconsistent among the various objects, even though they all have the exact same object style applied.

Some of the objects wrap a little better than others - at least they're not overlapping on top of text - but the wrap margins are still inconsistent. Not a single object wraps how I believe it should based on the style attributes…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Default underline position misinterprets font’s specification

InDesign interprets the underline position as the center of the line (from which the "thickness" extends outward), whereas the OpenType spec calls for it to be the top of the line (from which the thickness extends downward). This causes inconsistencies with other application’s interpretation of the same font’s metadata.

See here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/typography/opentype/spec/post#header

Quote:

underlinePosition

This is the suggested distance of the top of the underline from the baseline (negative values indicate below baseline).

The PostScript definition of this FontInfo dictionary key (the y coordinate of the center of the stroke) is not used for historical reasons. The value of the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Outlining text - Bulleted List is not working and text gets heavier

InDesign 17.3.
    Outlining text is not working:
    Bulleted List is not working when outlined. The bullets disappears and the text seems slightly heavier.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Mark positioning (GPOS) went wrong for text on path

Khmer rendering has been working well on most of the Adobe products. InDesign is one of them, especially after the fix: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/36534535-khmer-script-justification-is-broken.

However, I've just noticed that there is another bug with GPOS for Khmer (or maybe other scripts), when the text is on a path.

InDesign Version: 17.1
    Composer: World-ready
    Text: គុណតម្លៃរបស់យើង ស្ត្រី កន្លោង
    Font: https://fonts.google.com/noto/specimen/Noto+Sans+Khmer

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Font disappears when size of text is changed

When working in a text box and changing the size of the font, the text disappears altogether. If I change the font to a different one, the text reappears, then change font back to the one I used originally and text disappears again. (For example: changed font from default myriad pro to Ultra--text still showing; changed font size--text disappears; change font to Roboto (or anything else)--text reappears.)
    No matter position of text box, size of box, size of font, changing to overprint view, nothing makes the text reappear except changing the font to something else. Font/text is also missing when…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. story editor

Using Indesign 17.2 on x64 PC. Brand-new machine with fresh install.

To reproduce the issue open the story editor then close it.

Expected result: The story editor closes and I can resume working in the main document window immediately.

Actual result: When I close the story editor, the window disappears but all the tools on the toolbar, except the text tool, remain greyed out and I can't do anything in the main document for around 30 seconds.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Cross reference forces line break

1. Indesign 17 and 16
    2. Write text in textbox. Insert cross reference close to the text box right boundary.
    3. I expect the cross reference to fit that line
    4. It is forced to line break.
    5. See attached files (red arrow).
    6. The problem does not occur when using Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer but when using (the normal) Adobe Paragraph Composer.
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. [ID 17.2.20] Import xlsx spreadsheet: formatted numbers are truncated

MacOS 10.15.7 (19H1824) French localization
    InDesign 17.2.0.20 (17200)
    Excel 16.58 (16.58.22021501)

When importing an Excel sheet as a table, every number is truncated before the first thousand separator (which is a space in French).
    1 457 will be imported as 1
    21 457 >> 21
    (21 457) >> (21
    -210 457 >> -210
    621 457 >> 621
    and so on…

After a lot of tests on several configurations and discussions on the Adobe forum, I can say that the issue will only occur on French macOS systems, starting with Catalina. No matters what version of InDesign is used (15.0 thru…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Optical kerning too wide between apostrophe and lowercase d

I'm using InDesign 17.1 but I believe this is a longstanding bug. When using optical kerning, the visual distance between an apostrophe and a lowercase d is too wide. I'm attaching a screenshot with examples using I'd, She'd, and Who'd. The upper version of each one uses optical kerning, while the lower version is where I have manually adjusted the kerning to something more like it should be. I also include examples of the pleasing optical kerning shown by other apostrophe-letter pairs.

Most relevant is the apostrophe s combination. The lowercase s has an upper left curve similar to the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base