Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

931 results found

1. Tired of Adobe cloud and syncing

I have had it!
    I have so had it with you Adobe! I'm not even connected to the internet, I'm OFFLINE!!!! In InDesign, when I work with a freaking Google font called "Lato," I expect only the Google Font to be on my system fonts. Yet, you, yes, YOU want me to connect to the internet so that the font "Lato Medium" is synced into my design, which I did not even request to be synced in the first place. I never wanted the **** font, yet you force it down on me. InDesign keeps telling me that the font…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Loss of typographic enrichment (italic, bold, etc.) on import

On CC2019 14.0.3 but also on previous versions.
    When I import a Miscrosoft Word text I sometimes lose part of the enrichment. On the attached example the majority of Bold are kept but some are gone. This is very problematic when working on documents of several hundred pages.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Lao Line Breaking Support

I'm working on a major project using the Lao language and InDesign. The Lao text is not flowing correctly in InDesign. There are addons that provide these features (LaoScript), but there isn't native InDesign support, from what I can tell.

Lao text does not seem to properly word wrap. Many professionals use zero-width-spaces in Lao to create invisible 'spaces' between words so that applications properly word wrap. However, this has significant drawbacks and makes it harder for Lao people to use and edit their language because editing text with invisible characters is difficult (especially on mobile, but PCs as well).

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Selecting text is offset slightly so you select the wrong characters

Selecting text is sometimes really difficult as where you click is slightly off from what InDesign thinks you're clicking on. That means that when you highlight a word, it often misses the first character that you're trying to select. You then have to move the cursor slightly over another character for it to highlight it.

It's really frustrating as it doesn't seem to happen in all documents. The ones I'm having issues with at the moment use the customer's own font but I've been using that same font for about 5 years with no issues until now.

I'm using InDesign…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Burmese character composing

InDesign ME CC 14.0.1
    WorldScript doesn't compose Burmese Unicode characters correctly, shifting the location of some characters and not positioning some accents correctly, do you have a plan to fix this as it has been like it for a long time?? Other languages like Lao and Khmer have been fixed over time, but not Burmese.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. find font

Find Font isn't working for certain fonts. See the attached gif. I'm trying to change a passage of text set it Calibri (which I don't have installed) but when I open Find Font, Calibri isn't listed there so I'm unable to swap it out

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. text wrap issues

Having text wrap issues. I tell the box to ignore text wrap but it seems to still be affected by text wrapping from other objects. OS10.14.1. InDesign14.0

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Spell Check changing to Catalan (Spanish) half-way through

Spell check is changing from English to Catalan on a particular page of my document every time I check it. I have tried changing it back and will select English and then it will still say Catalan and try to change all of my words to Spanish.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Drop Cap/Nested Style Broken in InDesign CC 2019

Since upgrading to InDesign CC 2019, when I edit a paragraph that has a nested style applied to the first line, the entire paragraph takes on the nested style. The paragraph behaves normally until I edit it. Unfortunately, but unsurprisingly, the behavior is inconsistent. If I copy and paste the text into a new text box, the behavior does not occur, but if I link the existing text to that new box, it continues to happen.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

10. Static Endnotes

When importing Word files with Static Endnotes ticked from Word .doc files the endnote indicators within the text are no longer superior. There is no character style to be able to change these back. Without these indicators remaining superior makes the Static Endnotes a waste of time if you work in .doc instead of .docx. We always use .doc files as there are too many bugs using .docx - bits of text missing; loss of italics here and there etc. Using .doc files are always foolproof. We are typesetters manipulating text 12 hours a day and know all the pit…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

11. Basic Functionality breaking on each update

i am really annoyed that Indesign keeps breaking basic functionality when it makes an update. I have used paste without formatting for years without incidence and now it doesn't always work when I need it.

Typing in new frames requires 2 clicks and requires a tweak to the settings to work right?!

I don't want any new functionality if it is going to break things like typing and pasting, many things that used to be one click are now many. That is not how this should work!!!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. type tool stops working / document freezes

My Type / Text Frame button randomly stops working and then the whole document freezes. I then exit out of the document, open it again and it either works for a few edits until it freezes again or I need to close/open numerous times until it works. I've done all the updates and this has been happening for a few weeks.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Dictionary Hyphenation in Uppercase ignored (German)

Custom hyphenation settings are ignored for uppercase words in user dictionary (at least in german).

Example:
    dictionary entry: "kro~~~nach" (select field "case-sensitive" not set)

Expected behaviour:

Lorem ipsum Kro-
    nach dolor sit amet kro-
    nach

Actual behaviour:

Lorem ipsum Kron-
    ach dolor sit amet kro-
    nach

Workaround:

Enabling "Case-sensitive" and adding lowercase and uppercase version leads to correct hyphenation.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. excel import filter fails formatting

When importing an Excel spreadsheet, formatted cells are incorrectly imported.

E.g., place the following one-cell spreadsheet in CC 2018 (not tested in earlier, but I imagine it's true there), and you'll see either "10,000,000,000,000.0." in the cell (under macOS) or "1,000.0" (under Windows).

Needless to say, this is a critical bug for people using Excel with InDesign, since it causes serious mis-representations of imported numbers.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Changes are not tracked when you copy and paste text from more than one cell into a table

1. This exists in all version of InDesign and InCopy.

2. To reproduce (see corresponding images):

a) Create a new document with a table filled with text and in InCopy set it to tr.ack changes.

b.) Copy the contents of at least two cells.

c.) Paste the contents into different cells.

d.) Initially these changes will be showed as tracked in story/galley view.

e.) When the document is saved and the reopened these changes are no longer tracked.

1. The expected result is that the changes should remain tracked after the document is saved and reopened.
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Font Weight Not Changing

In the Character panel often it is not possible to change a font weight from Regular to Bold for example. I have to go in the font menu and select the font specifically.

Also, in the character panel the menu to change weights does not change anymore when I select a different font. For example: Metropilis Black becomes Calibri Black (which does not exist).

Clearing caches and trashing preferences does not help.

Happens on different machines, Mac Pro at home and different iMacs at work / CC 2018 InDesign 13.01

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. InDesign CC 2018 macOS High Sierra - BUG FIX REQUEST - Text Variable File Extension

Steps: TYPE/ TEXT VARIABLE/ DEFINE/ FILE NAME/ EDIT / Select or de-select "Include File Extension"

Expected results: Should be able to add or remove file extension by select or de-selecting the "Include File Extension" check box.

Actual results: File extension cannot be removed by un-checking the "Include File Extension" box, when adding a text variable under the File name field... See attached...

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. text outside of text frame

Text suddenly appears outside of frame. This happened on two different pages. In one instance, the number (which is the result of a numbered list) did not appear at all, but it had been previously there, and in other instances, the number appeared outside of the text frame. There were no overrides on the style. This suddenly happened. If i placed my cursor and started typing where the number should have been (and was with all other numbered bullets), then the disappearing number reappeared in the one case, and, in the others, the number moved back into the text frame.…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Application quits

When I highlight text and go to the font menu, the application quits. This always happens the first time I do it. From then on, it works fine. Yet, it has become very annoying. I have a Mac running on High Sierra OS 10.13.2. I'm using InDesign 13.0.1.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Double clicking the correct word in InDesign spell check

Ever since InDesign 1.0, when you used the spell check, you could double click on the correct word in the 'Suggested Corrections' area and the wrongly spelt word would be replaced, and then the spell checker would move on.

I am not sure at what stage this function stopped working, but it was definitely after CC was launched as it still works correctly in CS6. I think this is a bug.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base