Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. glitchy grey squares and triangles popping up under images when placed, they also sometimes pop up under the cursor.

I keep getting grey squares and triangles pop under the cursor or under images when I place them on my document and Its very distracting. Im not sure if its anything to do with the new update?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Update images

⌘-u should invoke the "Update Links" command in this dialogue. ⌘-d should invoke "Don't update".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Text in placed Illustrator object extends out of frame in PDF

I have a map done in Illustrator, saved as an .ai file. This has been placed into InDesign and slightly cropped so that one of the text labels is cut off. When I export this to PDF, the complete line of text shows on the page, extending out past the edge of the frame. The line and shape objects are cropped to the frame though.

The attached PDF shows screenshots illustrating this.

I have had the same thing happen in the same InDesign file (well, the same map template) with a placed InDesign document instead of a placed Illustrator file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Preferences Color

Color settings and profile preferences were not kept during the last update. This could have been a very expensive problem. My workspaces were kept, so it seems like a bug.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Cannot turn auto-fit to default

I am using Adobe InDesign CC 2018 13.0 for macOS (10.13.1). It seems that the auto-fit is default turned off right now. I changed the setting in Objet-Fitting-Framing Fitting Options and checked the box of Auto-fit with no documents open.

However, I am still unable to set auto fit into default.

Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. eps file importing as a text file

CC 2018 is importing (placing) some of my eps graphic files as text files. See attached PDF file of sudoku image.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Minor Illustrator file changes not detected

InDesign does not recognize that an placed AI file has changed -- if the change is minor, for instance shifting graphics on the artboard. If Illustrator artwork is moved relative to the artboard, then just saved (command S), the file does not show as modified in the Links panel. In order for InDesign to see it as modified, the Illustrator file must be Saved As and overwritten. This is an ongoing problem for at least the last three iterations of InDesign, but specs are:
    InDesign CC 2017 13.0
    Illustrator CC 2017 22.0.0
    OSX 10.13

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Object Layer Options not working using Photoshop files

I've placed the same layered photoshop files into ID three times to show how an animation works. Going to 'Object Layer Options' and clicking 'Keep Visibility Layer Overrides' is meant to keep your selected layers visible, even if the Photoshop is resaved. This no longer works. Once the link updates, all three update to look the same and forget which layers i've told it to show. Why?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. BUG Make "Fit Frame to Content" finally work with rotated/skewd content

1. Version: CS4 and above
    2. Steps: Just rotate/skew a picture within its box and use "FitFrameToContent" and watch the *content* gets cropped!
    3. Expected Result: The picture frame gets fit…
    4. Actual result: The content gets cropped.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Choose image among several

In CC2019 Indesign, when importing several pictures at once and trying to place them in prepared frames, the right arrow to select next image doesn't work properly (slow reaction and only shows next picture while placing cursor on next frame or displaying an image but loading an other one in the frame). Worked well in CC2018. Is this a bug and if yes, how to fix it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Open Asset Plugin window keeps opening up even though I keep shutting it. It continuously interrupts my flow.

The Open Asset plugin for Indesign continuously pops up. I don't use it. I don't want to use it. I want it to stop popping up and interrupting my workflow. If I close the window, it should stay CLOSED.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Imported CMYK JPEG files appear inverted or as negative

Reproduced in Adobe InDesign CC 2018 and 2019 on Mac and PC

1) Converted a PDF file to a CMYK JPEG and a RGB JPEG
    2) Import both images into InDD
    3) RGB image previews/prints correctly
    4) CMYK image previews/prints as inverted/negative

The CMYK file opens correctly in other apps: Photoshop, Illustrator, Preview, Web Browsers, etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. InDesign randomly replaces placed images with grey boxes

Indesign 14.0.2
    Max OS 10.13.6

Indesign will on occasion replace all placed images in document with grey boxes.

Issue occurs seemingly randomly when moving elements in the document.

Issue affects all placed images in document, including .ai and .png images.

Issue is not document-specific, although seems to affect documents containing transparency more frequently.

Additional new images placed while issue is ongoing results in a grey box.

Changing Display Performance settings does not resolve issue.

Restarting InDesign resolves the issue.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Links within linked Indesign files appear pixellated even if the links are updated.

Linked images within linked Indesign files appear pixelated, even if the links are updated. It's temporarily fixed by relinking the file – but it goes back to appearing pixelated when the file is reopened. This has only happened recently and has never been a problem in the past.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. impossible to have high quality display with bitmaps

With cs6 no problem. The same bitmaps files (TIFF) with CC, the display is very bad, even in high performance. Impossible to find a solution with technical assistance. Graphic designers with whom i works have the same problem. Apparently on the forums it would be a known bug. I work with windows 10.
    Two screenshot to see the difference between CS6 and CC

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Image catalog script - For creating Contact Sheets

Under Scripts, my image catalog script does not complete the place command to create an image catalog for me. When bug is worked out, I would also like an option to number each image, instead of only placing file names.

To recreate: Create new document, letter size. Open scripts, and run Imagecatalog.applescript. Set rows and columns( doesn't matter, also doesn't matter if labels is checked or unchecked) . Page will populate rectangle boxes, but not graphic frames nor insert images.
    Indesign CC.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. cc libraries deletes my text

Hello.

When adding my own text to a file in InDesign/CC Libraries (See attached image) - it deletes part of the text so I have to rewrite it again.

Example:
    'Saks' becomes 'ks'

There's a glitch and the text disappears.
    It's a collaboration work account, but can't it get more stable?

best regards.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Place; inconsequent text string in dialog

When choosing File -> Place the dialog says "Open" on the selected item. In stead of "Place"
    In training on indesign i allways have to explain this. We can only Open indesign files, but we can Place other media. The dialog window should use the term Place.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. dublicate layer with object group

If you dublicate a layer with a object group on it, and then ungroup (the also dublicated) objects on the new layer, they are all moved to their original layer.

This objects should stay on the new layer!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base