Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Command to break frame into individual frames for each column

Invoking the command would create individual text frames for each of the columns so they can be manipulated individually.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. The fill and stroke selectors on toolbar when in the single column option are too small.

The fill and stroke selectors on toolbar when in the single column option are too small. By comparison in Illustrator in the same single column view they are much bigger and easier to select.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Anchored illustrations

The layout of anchored Illustrations can NOT be moved around freely on the page it is anchored on. If you try to move the graphic around on the page or next page, the text is obscured or destroyed - the text is under the graphic. If you use the "inline" function the result is the same. The ability to move the "anchored" graphic anyway on the current page, page before it or the next page without the text being effected in any way. The TEXT should re-position itself around the image wherever move it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Kerning Editor (with individual margin alignment options)

A Kerning Editor would fit nicely into the kerning feature, which allows to choose between optical, metrical kerning. The user would define his own kerning names.
    The Kerning Editor has a GUI which allows the user to define his own kerning pairs which override the metrical ones defined in the font's kerning tables. There I can load the metrical kerning or the optical kerning as a start for my individual kerning.
    Furthermore the new Kerning Editor has two more tokens/glyphs to kern with: the left and the right margin of a text frame. So the user can define his own…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Redirect links when file name changes.

Like a website that uses redirection for old pages, it would be nice to have a way to redirect InDesign links to new links. For example, when a file name changes due to a version number, date, or whatever.

the way I imagine it working is leaving a txt file behind with the old asset's name that has the new assets name within it. (maybe there is a better way to do this)

that way, when assets change names, InDesign checks the txt file and looks in the new directory or for the new link before marking it as a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make the layers right hand side squares bigger!

Hi, might just be me, but the little squares to denote in which layer an object is in is too small, or not very co-operative.
    If I need to move something from one layer to another, I find it really difficult to hit the target right to move the item, the square is too small.

I am not blind, its just the one element of the UI that I constantly don't get a positive result from first time, normally takes 3 attempts!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. live font

you need live font same photoshop and illustrator

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Started  ·  0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Threading Text

Add an option for threading text that once you've started the process you can just click ANYWHERE in the box to keep threading. It's very difficult to find that tiny red box in the corner when you want to thread 30+ boxes.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Auto speads into pages

Sometime we have to design in spreads then output for print in pages. This means with a spread you have to add bleed to the right of a left hand page and add bleed to the left of right pages when manually breaking the pages apart.

It would save time if Indesign 1- split all speads into pages and 2 -
    extended any image/ coloured boxes to the left/ right by the amount specified in the bleed preferences.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Replace all missing glyphs

Option in the find replace dialogue to replace all missing glyphs, not just swapping one glyph for another. As far as I know, you have to go one by one throughout a document. The find/replace Opentype feature (text tab hasn't worked for me either.)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. the ability to not enable overrides in class

the ability to not enable overrides in class this way when I pull in title to the TOC it does not pull in overides in the headline styled text

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Rework overhead size to reduce pdf file size

Please fix the pdf file sizes created from overhead. For example, I think, this is created when a document has many tables (and cells) in it. I can create a text file, with zero pictures, no pixels, just vectors (the text), and the pdf proof (lowrez) size is huge! It should be about 800k, but it's at almost 10 megabytes! The only way around this is opening the pdf in acrobat and optimizing it to reduce it to the expected 800k size, which, sometimes, leads to text disapearing, but that's another issue.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Link to a specific page on a PDF or Excel Workbook

I get output in the form of either an Excel Workbook or a PDF with multiple pages.

One task I have is to assemble a book from these unsorted output files.

It would be AWESOME if we could link content from Excel Workbook tabs and specific PDF pages so when I get output, I could just put it all in a folder and InDesign would be smart enough to link everything in the book design from the previous year.

Annual publications for TONS of folks would go faster if we didn't have to paste the data page by page every…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. print-preferences should auto-sort alphabetically

Just a thingy: Im not able to alter the order of my styles, thats fine and dandy. But then I would rather have it sorted alphabetically.

@screenshot: See how "A1" (2) is at the bottom, where my brain want to find it at the top of the list beneath A1 (1).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Variables in formatting

Instead of using absolute values in formatting dialogues, let us define and use variables.

I often work in long documents and have dozens of styles. Using the leading for my body copy as a reference many other formatting options will use the same value or fractions or multiples of that value. Body copy might use 14 point leading with 7 points of space between paragraphs. Subheads might have an extra 7 points above. Main heads might use 21 point or 28 point leading. Bullets might use 14 points for the indent. If I need to change my leading I need…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Collaborate files in the start "Workspace" (quick shortcut)

In the Workspace "start' you can show your indesign files from de cloud. Called CC-Files. I like this feature. It works fine, but don't work with shared (collaborate) folder.
    I see al my cc-documents in the cloud, except the files in the shared (collaborate) folder.

Please make it possible. Otherwise, the idea of the cloud does not work.

Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. A archive/backup save feature

I recently was working on a highly important document. InDesign crashed AT THE SAME TIME as it was in the process of saving the file. I do regular saves, but because of how it crashed I couldn't revert to an earlier saved version of my file. My new workflow is to regularly save my work and I use sequential numbers e.g. filename-v01, filenam- v02. I also sometimes will use save as and create a new file called filename-backup and then I will have to do another save as to revert the document back to filename.indd. What would suit my workflow…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Drop down list of Styles in the Paragraph Style Options dialog box

The Paragraph Style Options dialog box should have a drop down list of Style names to enable access to other Style without having to go back

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. One desktop for all pages instead of desktops for each seperate page/spread

When copying asset(s) to the desktop you always have to search on wich pages you copied that asset(s). When all pages are on the same desktop, the copied assets are more easy to find, because they are always on one desktop.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base