Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6486 results found

1. Adding anchored frame to the text corrupts the text

Hello there,
    We have noticed this problem while dealing with Arabic/Persian/Urdu text (regardless of the fonts used). English text works just fine.
    When anchored framed is inserted, the vowels in the Arabic/Persian/Urdu text and sometimes evens the characters in the text shift. The foreign text is typically perfectly fine prior to inserting the anchored object however changes. See before and after examples:

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Adding anchored frame to the text corrupts the text

Hello there,
    We have noticed this problem while dealing with Arabic/Persian/Urdu text (regardless of the fonts used). English text works just fine.
    When anchored framed is inserted, the vowels in the Arabic/Persian/Urdu text and sometimes evens the characters in the text shift. The foreign text is typically perfectly fine prior to inserting the anchored object however changes. See before and after examples:

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Preflight bug (?) non-proportional type scaling

Hi, I am working with InDesign version 16.4 and am currently experiencing a new strange 'problem': I am making a calender with on each second page a text frame with some text. Now I get 12 'non-proportional type scaling' warnings in the preflight panel for these frames, but when I look at the texts, no non-proportional scaling shows up in the character panel. I have never experienced this before. Can this be a bug?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. InDesign crash when deleting blank endnote text frame

When converting endnotes back to footnotes the bland text frames remains on the page. When trying to delete the text (endnote) frame, or the entire page, InDesign 16.4 crashes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Text frames in Object Libraries won't retain style settings

Version: InDesign, version 16.4 on Mac OS Big Sur, version 11.6

I am encountering an issue involving text frames that do not retain their object style settings when inserted and/or saved within object libraries. Font/paragraph styles are unaffected, but object style attributes such as vertical justification, text wrap, fill, stroke and inset spacing are all lost (revert to defaults) upon being added to the library. The same is true for settings made while editing the library items directly.

This problem only involves individual text frames, and does not seem to affect any other type of graphic added to the library…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

After setting the desired properties for the Text Frame, select the text frame object and in the CC Libraries panel, click on the ‘+’ icon at the bottom of the panel – here you will see various options like Fill color, Text, Character style, Paragraph style, and Graphic.
    You can also choose to Add all.
    Choosing ‘Add all’ will add separate items in the CC Libraries – you will find Fill color, Text, any Char/Para style, and a Graphic. Use any of these according to your needs.

Hope it helps.

Adobe InDesign team

6. Justifying frame or change leading causes text to change

This is happening from time to time. The hyphenation of the word inside the red stroke is removed simply by setting the text frame vertical justfication to 'Justify' or by changing the leading of the paragraph. These modifications should not mess with the text and hyphenation. When this happens, in certain circumstances, it changes the number of lines of the paragraph (see prints), causing the whole story to reflow.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Justifying frame or change leading causes text to change

This is happening from time to time. The hyphenation of the word inside the red stroke is removed simply by setting the text frame vertical justfication to 'Justify' or by changing the leading of the paragraph. These modifications should not mess with the text and hyphenation. When this happens, in certain circumstances, it changes the number of lines of the paragraph (see prints), causing the whole story to reflow.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Justifying frame or change leading causes text to change

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Indesign crashing repeatedly, mostly after editing photos in Photoshop

Indesign 16.4, Mac mini (M1, 2020), Big Sur: Indesign crashes repeatedly every day, mostly when I open an image in Photoshop from Indesign, edit the image and save it. Two latest crash reports attached.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Find/change 15.1.3, Windows 10

Find/change does not work when a character style (e.g. italic) is selected.
    Have closed program and started it again, and it works for words selected, but could not get it to find this question mark character ?, nor would it change format of a word to italics when this was selected under the Find Format and/or Change Format boxes. Following this I also found it would not find a selected word with no formatting changes requested.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Paragraph borders do not update when the text length is changed

When editing a paragraph with borders applied to them, the borders do not update correctly when changing the text length. This should occur dynamically, whereas currently, users have to tick and untick the checkbox as it does not always update.

This occurs on Windows 10, Indesign version 16.4.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Big Sur - inDesign when I switch to another program (PSD/Ai for example) it quits like a spoiled child

Once I switched from Mojave to Big Sur inDesign will not stay running unless I leave it as the main program.
    Font issue? Mentioned because that is my main issue with Big Sur at the moment -- errr.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Insering Anchroed text frame object shifts the vowels on referenced Arabic/Persian/Urdu text frame

Hello there,

We have only noticed this problem while dealing with Arabic/Persian/Urdu text (regardless of the fonts used). English text works just fine.

When anchored framed is inserted, the vowels in the Arabic/Persian/Urdu text and sometime evens the characters in the text shift. The foreign text is typically perfectly fine prior to inserting the anchored object however changes. See before and after examples:

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Endnote Links Not Functioning When Published Online

I have a complex document (725 pages across 15 chapters) in which each chapter contains between 75 and 300 endnotes that I imported from the most current version of MS Word into InDesign 2021 (v. 16.4 x64). When I export a chapter as a PDF, everything works reasonably well (although links between in-text endnote numbers and endnote references simply jump between applicable page numbers, rather than to the notes themselves, but I can live with that). But when I publish a chapter or the whole online, only the bookmarks from the InDesign TOC feature work. The links between endnote numbers…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Tiff alpha channel not working

A Tiff exported with Alpha channel from Solid Works do not support the transparency. It works ok when opened with Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator. Also working fine in Affinity Photo, Pixelmator Pro, Mac OS Preview and Mac OS Finder.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Fonts' OpenType features not working in Composite fonts in InDesign

When using any Hebrew font in InDesign, the diacritics (nikuds) are displayed in their correct location. This location is set within the fonts by using OpenType features such as ccmp (for glyph substitution) and mark (for glyph positioning). InDesign recognizes and applies these features.

When this font is used as part of a Composite font in InDesign, the result is quite different. It seems like the ccmp feature is honored but the mark feature is not.

The diacritics shift and the length of the text increases. Some of this fluctuation can be mitigated by Diacritics Position feature in InDesign however…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Kashida and Diacritical Positioning dialogue boxes not available

With Arabic language selected in Creative Cloud preferences, and InDesign reinstalled, the Arabic language support character functions are still not available. RTL and LTR function also not available but text shows up correctly. Need Kashida character function desperately. Please rectify. Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Kashida and Diacritical Positioning dialogues no longer available

Hi InDesign team, I do not have the Arabic language support dialogues available any longer on M1 Mac which where available to me on Intel previously. Specifically, my Kashida dialogue in Character menu, and Diacritical Positioning also are not available. Please rectify this.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. publish online mobile

InDesign 16.4

When i publish a document using 'publish online' it doesn't work correctly on mobile. When you first load it up on mobile the navigation bar at the bottom is there, but if you click anything on the page the navigation bar disappears. This then means you can't navigate through the rest of the brochure.

I've tried this on multiple mobile browsers including Chrome, Edge & Brave and the same happens on each.

This is a major issue for us as a lot of people will want to view this document on mobile.

I've attached a couple of screenshots

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Hintergrundaufgaben-Rädchen hört nicht auf sich zu drehen

Nach dem PDF-Export hört das blaue Rädchen für Hintergrundaufgaben nicht auf, sich zu drehen, obwohl der Export abgeschlossen ist.
    InDesign 16.4

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?