Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Problems saving Indesign CC 2018 files directly onto a server

I have an issue saving Indesign CC 2018 files onto our server.

I have attached two examples of the error messages we get.

The only way we can work is to save the Indesign file, on to the Desktop and then moving over manually.

We have installed the latest version of Indesign CC 2018 and MacOS High Sierra (Version 10.13.2).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Scripts Panel Sorting

InDesign 2017.1 (v12.10.56); macOS High Sierra 10.13

When I open the Scripts Panel, nothing is in order. It used to be in alphabetical order like the Scripts Panel folder in my user library.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Cannot open file due to deleting hyperlinks in Indesign CC 2018

I was deleting the list of hyperlinks in my file and it crashed. So I kept saving the file after every hyperlink I had deleted so that I can find out which one was the root problem, but now I cannot even open the file as it just crashes immediately it opens. At this moment in time I have to do the whole job again.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

5. InDesign changing opacity for an unselected item

I am trying to place a slightly opaque rectangle over an image but when I select to lower the opacity on the rectangle, the image (regardless if it's above or below) changes as well.

What's more odd is when I select that photo after I do the action, the image says it is at 100%. The "change" has not been reflected. I have uploaded a 1-2-3 photo demo. Note the photo's slight change in transparency although set at 100%.

This happens when the photo and rectangle are in separate layers, as well. The two items are not placed within each…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The magic of InDesign’s effects all happens via Adobe’s transparency technology, which allows us to blend colors and detail from different objects. In order for it to all work there has to be a consistent color space for InDesign to use when it blends colors. This is called the Transparency Blend Space and it’s really important that you understand it in order to get the most out of InDesign’s effects. When we use transparency effects, InDesign compares different objects and combines their colors and detail. In order for objects to be blended, they have to be in the same color space. So when you apply transparency, InDesign converts everything on a spread to the Transparency Blend Space, regardless of whether that object is actually involved in the effect. And it’s important to note that when we say things are converted, we don’t mean that InDesign alters your placed files; they…

6. Indesign performance issue : Bad performance when using span columns in InDesign/InCopy

VERSIONS
    Windows 7, CC 2015.4 and CC 2017.0
    Windows 10, CC 2015.4 and CC 2017.0
    macOS 10.12, CC 2015.4
    even CS6 versions are affected...

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
    1. Create an InDesign document with several pages
    2. Define the text frame options with two columns
    3. Link all frames and fill with placeholder text
    4. Create a new paragraph style with the option "span columns" (e.g. title)
    5. Define several parts of the layout with the new paragraph style
    6. Edit some text near the paragraph style
    --> the performance while typing is very very bad!!!

EXPECTED RESULT
    InDesign and InCopy…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have been able to improve the performance with span columns but it is till work in progress.

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the incremental fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

7. alt text issues

I'm trying to apply alt text to vector objects and some elements in a table manually in indesign. The "object export options" window isn't allowing me to change the alt text source to custom or anything else besides structure and I am unable to edit/add anything in regards to alt text. I've tested it on other text and images/elements within the document and still run into the same issue.

I'm having a difficult time trying to create an accessible tagged PDF due to this issue and many of the tutorials or help documents are outdated for CC capabilities. Any help…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Copy/Paste of image/graphic blocks very slow

Adobe InDesign CC 13.1 on Sierra
    The copy and paste of graphic blocks in the same doc is very slow. When there is not a large number of links, it is pretty ok BUT when adding a lot of new picture links, the wheel keeps turning during ca. 10/15 seconds after each copy and paste of a graphic block also.

The temporary solution is to change the name of the image folder so to disable the dynamic links to pictures. But not ideal.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Object Style Size and Frame Fitting bug

Where is what I did:
    Create an Object style that has the size height and width set (I used 4x3in) AND the Frame Fitting Options set (I tried Fill Frame Proportionally with and without Auto-Fit). Import some photos. I did 4 at once and click-&-dragged them at different sizes. Frame size is correct, but frame fitting is ignored. It has to be applied manually after placement.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation

CC 2018
    Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation

When trying to PLACE an EPS file get the above error. Reinstalled CC 2017 and using the exact same file works. Attached is the EPS file that we used.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

11. Can not paste text in inDesign

I am running InDesign CC 13.1 on osMac High Sierra, and am unable to COPY text from any web browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox) and PASTE it into inDesign. It crashes every time. I AM able to paste the text into a Pages document and THEN copy/paste into inDesign — but all character information is gone (formatting, alignment, spacing, etc.)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Problem with Bookmarks that contain special characters

I have a document with bookmarks that contain phrases with words containing special characters (specifically Italian accents, for example: L’ubiquità della collaborazione)

Then I have buttons at the top of the document. Each button links to a specific bookmark. If the bookmarks contain this characters/accents, the button don't work.
    So the buttons only work when linking to bookmarks not contain special characters/accents.

Solved the problem by changing the procedure I used to create bookmarks:

This is what WON'T WORK:
    - highlighting all the text and then create a bookmark.
    Pro: The bookmarks are added automatically with all the sentence that…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. arabic

Cursor Direction when typing Arabic or other RTL languages. in Middle Eastern version ONLY.

1. All Middle Eastern versions (English يدعم العربية)

2. Type Arabic text. Place the cursor within text. Hold "Shift" key and click on right arrow key on the keyboard to select/highlight text. Cursor moves left and select next character on the left while clicking on right arrow.

3. To select a character to the left of the cursor, we should hold (Shift+left arrow) To select a character to the right of the cursor, we should hold (Shift+right arrow)

4. What actually is happening now and for over 20 years when…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. double layout page has become a PB spread. some pictures missing

In a 36 page document one double page spread has become a PB spread. some pictures missing, page numbers should be 8 and 9 but show PB instead, page background is grey instead of white, see screen shot attached.
    This is a disaster as I have to get the completed magazine to the printer ASAP!
    Version InDesign CC 2018. Created a 36 page magazine. Checked back through the layout and found pages 8 and 9 were not normal. Not what I expected.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

15. InDesign crashes while accessing printer setup or printing on Windows

I've had no issues in writing documents, but printing an existing one crashed InDesign2018. A crash report was automatically generated and sent to you &/ or Apple.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sometimes, InDesign might crash while accessing the printer setup or while printing documents with some specific printers. The crash is intermittent and specific to Windows only.

Currently, this issue is observed with the following printers when their drivers are not updated:
    • Konica Minolta
    • Canon ColorPass
    LANIER

If the printer you are using is not listed here or if updating the drivers of the listed printers does not resolve the issue, please share the following information to help us investigate the issue further:
    • Printer driver and printer setup details.
    • The configuration of your printer – local, network, or wireless.
    • Is the printer configured as your default printer?

Please share the details at sharewithID@adobe.com.

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Separations Preview

Like previous versions of InDesign CC the color separations preview still does not work correctly.

When user tries to view separations by turning a color separation off, or toggling back and forth between colors, the visible page in the document goes completely haywire - scattering elements and superimposing images from other nearby pages. See attached screenshots of the issue.

This has been an issue for awhile and I am dismayed it still has not been addressed as it is a very useful function in the printing industry. Since the launch of CC I have had to check my separations in…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Hyperlink

Hyperlinks are not working when exporting to PDF from InDesign.Please fix this bug.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Dictionary Hyphenation in Uppercase ignored (German)

Custom hyphenation settings are ignored for uppercase words in user dictionary (at least in german).

Example:
    dictionary entry: "kro~~~nach" (select field "case-sensitive" not set)

Expected behaviour:

Lorem ipsum Kro-
    nach dolor sit amet kro-
    nach

Actual behaviour:

Lorem ipsum Kron-
    ach dolor sit amet kro-
    nach

Workaround:

Enabling "Case-sensitive" and adding lowercase and uppercase version leads to correct hyphenation.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Table Eyedropper crash

Running High Sierra 10.13.2

InDesign version CC2018 13.1

Crashes when trying to select text within a table with the eyedropper tool, InDesign immediately crashes. This has been a problem for a couple of versions.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

20. INDESIGN KEEPS CRASHING

I’m working on an IMAC (late 2014) running OS 10.13.4.

I’m finding that this new version, as well as the one which preceded it, are very slow to process “saving” or “re-saving” files.

I have a feeling that the newest software is getting quite bloated with code: InDesign seems to get very confused if I work too quickly, ultimately resulting in my FORCE-QUITTING the program. The mouse just freezes and sometimes different tools seem to appear, as well as tooltips. This type of thing has never happened before, just with the NEWEST version.

I have much worry about files becoming…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base