Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6480 results found

1. indesign won't start

InDesign 18.5 will not start/open - need to uninstall & reinstall everyday.

I have tried
    - switching off Connect Fonts (Suitcase)
    - restarting computer and opening InDesign as first app
    - opening through double clicking on a .indd file

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. After IDS install or update calls to preflight() don't work unless you manually edit ExportPreflightReport.jsx

Whenever we install or update InDesign Server we can't call preflight() unless we manually edit the ExportPreflightReport.jsx file found here:
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign Server 2023\Scripts\Preflight

We've had to do this for every version of IDS we've installed or updated (v15, v18.2.1 and 18.5). We're using Windows Server 2022 in Azure (Win64).

I can't attach jsx or zip files but edits required are described at the bottom of this post: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/problem-with-save-preflight-report-using-javascript-in-macintosh/td-p/5831477

If we don't make these changes, calls to preflight on IDS don't produce a report. The script (ExportPreflightReport.jsx) works on InDesign Desktop.

It would be great if IDS shipped with…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Indesign FREEZES or GETS STUCK when convertign another "version" file

My Indesign version is CC 2019. 14.0.2 64 bits
    I try to convert from version 18.2 and I logged in, as the advertisement said. But when I click "convert" the button turns from blue to grey and unselectable. And the advertisement freezes there. I have to put cancel and the program lets me cancel and the bar above is again functional. But nothing else. The program still doesnt let me convert the file.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  IDML Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Drag copying to move the duplicate object no longer shows the original during the move.

Bug, or simply changed way to do this with modifier keys? I've noticed that lately when I drag copy an object to its new position, the original vanishes during the drag. Often I need to drag it and still see the original while dragging for an exact placement in relationship to the original being copied. Has that vanished from InDesign? If not, I've not been able to find a list of modifier keys for drag copying variations.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. portrait mode - Whether at 125% or 100% the Indesign Interface scaling option under Preferences does not work.

BUG DETAILS- On a Monitor that is setup in a Portrait configuration, whether at 125% or 100% display scale in Windows Settings, the Indesign Interface scaling option under Preferences does not work.

Adobe is a publishing software, especially InDesign. Book Publishers and their graphic design team need to have the option of working in a monitor setup in a Portrait configuration for the purpose of full vertical page (height) dimensions. I cannot get Indesign to Scale the Interface at all under Preferences when monitors are set in Portrait configuration. This is a bug because the InDesign interface does scale (as…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. "Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle" behavior in Page Panel is opposite

About Page Panel menu, "Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle".
    When you check here, you can’t shuffle pages. You need to be off the check to shuffle. It's contrary to content.
    I hope this will be fixed to "Not Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle".
    Thank you.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Print files do not get overwritten.

Whether i'm trying to overwrite a print file created with PDF or .vps using ID 2022 (17.4.1) through the XMPie plugin compatible for this version, it will not overwrite a previous PDF or .vps. This is a very frustrating issue since I've had to update to 2022. the only way around this is to delete the old PDF or .vps prior to running the new /updated print file, which is time consuming step. I constantly have to check time stamps to be certain that the files I send to our presses is the most current files needed, especially if a…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Black Backgrounds When Copying PNG from Web to Indesign (Return of Bug)

This is a recurring bug that was solved in a few past updates, but, it's back in InDesign V. 18.5.

When you copy a transparent background PNG from Google Images (or any website) and paste it into InDesign, it will display a black box as the background.

If you paste the same image into Photoshop, copy that, paste it into InDesign, it will not show the black background.

This was working 100% flawlessly over the last year, but, is now broken in this new version on multiple Macs. Tried different browsers. Reset preferences, same issue.

This was a bug that…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Datamerge QR-code cannot be colored

When performing a datamerge, the generated QR-codes are black (C0 M0 Y0 K100) and cannot be set to another color prior to merging. This video shows the issue (and complex workaround).

Steps to reproduce:
    1. set up a datamerge with a qr-code field in data source.
    2. try to color the QR-code any color not black (eg. using Object > Edit QR-Code > Color)
    3. execute datamerge

Actual result:
    All QR-codes are black.

Expected result:
    To set the color of the QR-code placeholder the same as a normal QR-code, and for the QR-codes to be colored after the merging.

MacOS…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. No warning about missing links when exporting to jpeg or png

If I have a document with a missing link, I get a warning when exporting to PDF that there are missing links. If I am exporting a jpeg or a png of the same document, I don't get any warnings at all about missing links and simply get pixelated graphics in the output.

Exporting to a bitmap image should have the same warnings about missing links that exporting to PDF does.

1. InDesign 18.4 (Windows), but this has been the case for several versions now.
    2. Place a graphic, then move the linked file so that it shows up as missing. Export…
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Certain placed PDFs look fine but become strange when part of InDesign export to PDF

InDesign version 18.3. The issue is explained thoroughly in this forum thread, with lots of example exports: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/pdf-export-messes-up-placed-pdf-and-is-affected-by-mark-bleed-settings/m-p/13957529

Summary: If you place either of the attached PDFs (which were made in Word for Mac), and then try to make a PDF from InDesign, the black rectangle that is in the background of the content will change size unexpectedly. It will always look fine in InDesign but mess up when exported. And the degree to which it changes will vary depending on various factors like marks and bleed, which should have nothing to do with the placed PDF.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. ID window stutters when minimizing on MacBook Air M2 running StageManager

I know you're working on making ID run natively on the M2 chip. One glitch...when minimizing the app on my new MacBook Air M2 /Ventura, the ID window stutters as it shrinks to the desktop -- instead of smoothly moving as other apps. This happens with all my Adobe apps, but it's most noticeable with InDesign. It's a minor glitch but visually annoying.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. After Update to Indesign 18.4.: Bad Performance with anchored TextFrames and vertical jusitification

I have a document with a text frame which is vertically justified and contains some anchored objects. Editing text in this text frame works but it is very slow in 18.4
    In version 18.3 it runs quicker.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. PDF export wrong PDF version

We are using InDesign server 18 to export InDesign files to PDF. The last months (since november, when we updated from 17 to 18) we are noticing that we have problems with disappearing transparancy.

After a lot of research we found out that although the joboptions have the settings to export version 1.3, the server exports to version to a PDF 1.4. The PDF standard that is used is PDF X-1a:2003. This seems why transparancy is disappearing. I cannot reproduce this manually with the local version of InDesign I think because there is no possibility to use PDF-x1a:2003 and version…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. InDesign hangs for minutes when I/O for Document fonts is slow

Using version 18.2.1 and opening a document that has an associated "Document fonts" folder alongside, the app performs a lot of I/O on the main thread. If the fonts are on slower storage, the app will open the document, but the window is completely frozen, since all those I/O calls are performed on the main thread.

Note the attached traces: some calls are even performed twice for the same file. Can the CT calls be moved off the main thread?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Align panel issues

I'm using v 18.3 on mac.

My align panel isn't completely viewable and looks different that it ever has before. The normal options are gone. Also, in the top toolbar, the align tools only show up when I try to align objects. The tools don't appear when I attempt to align text boxes.

I've attached a screenshot showing how the toolbar has always looked when I've selected assets to align, one showing how those options are gone unless I'm aligning objects, and a final one of the align panel. This has been very frustrating.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Shift W - Window Resizing after exiting presenter mode

Upon exiting presenter mode (entered by pressing Shift+W, then exited with another press of Shift+W), the InDesign window/interface resizes dramatically and I'm having to resize and enlarge it every time which is really disruptive.

I'm using a late 2015 iMac running Catalina 10.15.7 (recently updated from Sierra), InDesign 18.4.

Have attached screenshots to show the resizing of the window.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Hebrew drops out

Hebrew text in the middle of a sentence is dropping out when exported to PDF. There have been several occurrences in this project, but I've never seen this before. In the example PDF, I have a Hebrew word followed by a makeshift ellipsis [nonbreaking space + . + 1/6 em space + . + 1/6 em space + . + space] followed by two more Hebrew words. A GREP style changes the Hebrew words from the base font (Arno) to Taamey David CLM. As is, the first Hebrew word drops out.

If I move the first Hebrew word back to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. variable font bugging out in InDesign

I am using General Sans variable font in Indesign which has not stopped working properly after packaging the document and prepping it to print.

Some areas of the font are showing as Italics even though they are not and should not be and there is no way to change them.

After researching it looks like variable fonts are not ready to be used in all Adobe programs for a seamless process.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base