Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Colors are displayed differently between pages

InDesign 13.0.1 on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) OS 10.13.3

Open a CMYK document. Place an sRGB file on page 1. Place the same (or copy) on page 2.

Expected: the colors on both pages look the same.

Actual result: With color-proof switched off, the colors on page 1 show as if color-proof turned on while on page 2 the colors show correctly. See screenshots with the same files on 2 pages. I changed nothing I just moved the picture from one page to the other.
    With color-proof turned on all pages look like page 1.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

11 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Display not properly refreshed

In the latest versions the screen often isn't refreshed properly. Only after rescaling or changing to Preview mode the old data is hidden.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Applying a paragraph style causes text to appear duplicated on screen, but it's not really.

CC 2018, OS High Sierra, both most current, brand new install on a brand new iMac Pro.

If I apply a style using a key command, 90% of the time the text from the cursor down goes crazy, looks duplicated. But if I hit the key command again, or click off the paragraph, or scroll, it goes away and is normal. So it's not really duplicating anything as far as I can tell. I screen captured exactly what it looks like.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Defining a stroke beginning with a gap does not work

If you define a stroke you can set the length of the first stroke to zero. But as you can see in the screenshot there is still some stroke visible.

Best solution: Make a "zero stroke" possible, a stroke which starts with a gap.

Second best solution: Change the minimum in the "length"-field to something > 0.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Command-O or command-N doesn't work after Indesign starts up.

This has been an annoying bug for a while. If you open indesign, then use the command-O or command-N key to open/create a file, nothing happens. You just get an alert sound.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Copying animations loses timing panel settings

When copying/duplicating animations (using ANY method), the timing panel settings are completely lost. This is really bad for complicated animations. The timing panel settings should be maintained when animations are copied/pasted or duplicated in any way.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Conditional text is not applied correctly after line break in IDMLs

If Unconditional text follows a line break where another Paragraph Style is applied with Conditional text, making an IDML out of the document will change the Unconditional text to Conditional.

Please see example screenshots.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. shift doesn't work at all

I updated the version yesterday.... shift doesn't work any more!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Performance: Import documents / style apply

my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) is super slow when importing word documents, search and replace styles or adapting styles. Does it improve when changing to the Mojave system? Or is there a conflict with FontExplorer X Pro. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm suffering…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Background Tasks Panel - Missing Progress Bars

Since InDesign 15.1, the progress bars are missing from the Background Tasks panel. Luckily, the percentages are still there but the bars are needed for quick progress reference.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. InDesign 2020 15.0.1 CEP panel size bug on Windows HiDPI with scaling > 100%

On some Windows workstations, my InDesign CEP panel has the wrong size (way too large). This looks like a re-surfacing of the old bug mentioned here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/get-started/cep-panel-wrong-size-in-cc2018/td-p/9660228?page=1

• Version:

InDesign version 15.0.1

• Steps to reproduce:

Install this dummy sample 'Hello World' panel into InDesign 15.0.1 on Windows 10 on a workstation with a HiDPI display. Make sure the Windows Display Scaling it set to 100%

https://rorohiko.com/downloads/ID2020PanelSizeBug/ID2020PanelSizeBug.1.0.0.zxp

Run InDesign, open the panel -> should be OK.

Quit InDesign, change the Windows display scaling to 200%

Run InDesign, open the panel -> panel is extraordinary large. See screenshots on

https://coppieters.nz/?p=333

• Expected result:

Panel…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Indents Break Burmese Type

Applying an indent to Burmese type in InDesign makes the text render incorrectly. Please see the example in the attached file.

InDesign 15.0.1 x64

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. skew in character style for numbered list - does not skew

1. Adobe InDesign 14.0.2 x64

2. Create a character style with skew i.e 10%. Create a paragraph style with a numbered list. Apply the character style to the numbered list.

3. skewed numbers

4. does not skew

5. -

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Weight remains on text when exported to pdf even if changed to zero.

I am using InDesign CC 2019 14.01 x64.

Once a stroke weight has been added, if you then change the stroke weight back to zero, then when you export to pdf the pdf will have a stroke weight added to the text, even though the indesign document looks correct. It may not have the original amount of weight that was added, but it will definitely have what looks to be around a .2 weight added.

However, if you were to start a new document, then add stroke weight, then click edit - undo stroke weight, then it would export to…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Bad optical kerning for superscript "4"

When a superscript "4" follows a closing smart quotation mark, optical kerning is set to -60 or -70 depending on font. This is too close (basically a crash).

This is annoying for books with lots of endnotes, where superscript numbers usually follow quotation marks.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Inconsistent Text Wrap across two column layout

Text wrap is applied inconsistently from column to column, i.e. text will offset by uneven amounts in adjacent columns. This happens for all types of Text Wrap except for the Jump Wrap, which does not misalign the top two lines of text!
    The only fix I could manage was to Force All Lines to the Baseline Grid, and redraw the bottom Text Wrap line unevenly for the two columns. The images attached show first the problem and second the fix.
    I believe this started happening with the introduction of CC versions, but I'm not 100% sure of that timing.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Mouse very slow during mail merge

When exporting to a PDF using Indesign Mail Merge, the mouse is very slow, even if in other programs. That makes the computer unusable during export of large PDF's.

I found that only when the Windows Task Manager is on the front, the mouse acts normal again, but when I the Task Manager loses focus, the mouse is slow again.

We have this problem on our Windows PC's. On my Mac it works fine.

We use the latest Indesign (15.0.1)

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Save window file name AND extension are highlighted by default.

Before upgrading to Catalina, when I go to save a file or export the name of the file will be highlighted.

I can then tap the right arrow and the cursor (blinking line) will go to the end of the file name but BEFORE the file extension.

But after upgrading to Catalina, the file name AND the file extension are both highlighted by default so when pressing the arrow key, the cursor goes to the end AFTER the file extension.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Adobe 2020 Crashes with copy & paste

Whenever I try to copy/paste small elements from adobe illustrator onto Adobe InDesign, indesign will automatically quit. If I try to recover the file after it has crashed, it crashes again...

What is happening here? This is an ongoing issue since the update.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base