Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. arabic

Cursor Direction when typing Arabic or other RTL languages. in Middle Eastern version ONLY.

1. All Middle Eastern versions (English يدعم العربية)

2. Type Arabic text. Place the cursor within text. Hold "Shift" key and click on right arrow key on the keyboard to select/highlight text. Cursor moves left and select next character on the left while clicking on right arrow.

3. To select a character to the left of the cursor, we should hold (Shift+left arrow) To select a character to the right of the cursor, we should hold (Shift+right arrow)

4. What actually is happening now and for…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. When setting the frame grid with the shortcut key, it becomes an unintended font display

InDesign Ver.13.0.1 x64(CC 2018) Japanese Edition
    Windows

1. make new document
    2. make new frame grid
    3. select frame grid
    4. press key "Ctrl+B", and open dialog

A font that starts with "B" installed in the system is displayed in the font setting of the dialog.
    Should be displayed is the default "Kozuka Mincho Pr6 N".

CC 2017 and older versions are no problem.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InDesign performance issue: New document window gives blank screen

Latest version of InDesign supplied by Creative Cloud installer on 64-bit Windows 10 PC.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. File - New Document.
    2. Bingo...

Expected result:
    A useful window with options to create a new document.

Actual result:
    A useless blank screen (see attached screenshot).

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Shortcuts and keyboard keys stop working.

CC2018, Windows 10, latest update as of 01/18/18, x64 system with 12GB RAM. I often have to close and reopen documents or InDesign itself for shortcuts and some keys to work. There does not seem to be a common cause or specific file(s) that sets it off and it may or may not happen to all open documents if more than one is open. Generally closing the document and reopening it helps, but there have been times where I have to restart the program for anything to work. The issue includes any shortcuts and sometimes keys such as the arrow…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. [Indesign CC 2018][BUG] Indesign crashes when using script to remove table row

When using a javascript to remove a table row, Adobe Indesign crashes.
    This happens when a table has only 2 rows. The table contains a header row and your script tries to remove the only body row.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. World-Ready Composer Is messing up the kerning in Latin fonts

I have reported a variation of this—back with CS6—but it seems not to have been fixed. I assume it's a bug, but if someone can enlighten me about what I might be doing wrong and how I can fix this, I'd appreciate it.

I often work on books that include Arabic and Hebrew words and phrases in the middle of English text. They only way to get the Arabic ligatures to form is to use one of the World Ready composers. When I do that, though, the kerning around some English characters often—but not always—is affected. I have tried turning…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. InDesign performance issue: Hangs when exporting to PDF

1. Latest Indesign CC, Windows 10
    2. ID would sometimes not finish the export to PDF task and hangs for minutes. It must then be killed in the task manager. During this it constantly consumes a big lot of RAM and CPU power. See attachment.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. [Indesign CC2018] [Os X] Can't move application window when clicking on application name

Users are not able to drag and move the application window when click/drag on the application name, located at the top of the main application window. When click/drag on the left or the right of the application name, moving the window is possible.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. "View PDF after exporting" previously opened acrobat, now my computer switches between opening Illustrator, Mircosoft Word, rarely Acrobat

I've set my computer to use Acrobat as default, yet perhaps you could add an Application of choice to use when view exported PDF.

Not sure if it's just a bug, but any fix would be welcome. Thank you!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. CC library color swatches doesn't work with table cells.

Applying a color from CC library to table cell does not work.

Reproduce:

1. Select a cell in the table
    2. Click on the color from the CC libarry

Expected - cell (fill/stroke switchable by pressing X) is recolored to the clicked color
    Observed - nothing happens.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Anasuiya Gupta responded

Hi Dixy

Thanks for reporting the issue.
    This is a known issue and is currently under review.

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

12. Text wraps when replacing a swatch

If I replace a swatch the text wraps at one place. It happens just with one color in the document... I doesn't matter which swatch I use for replacing... I never seen this before. I image how risky that is when you're replacing a swatch in a large project like a catalog and than somewhere in the document text is wraping...

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Hunspell dictionaries cannot be added in Sierra or High Sierra

Adding Hunspell dictionaries breaks code-signing, and results in the whole of InDesign's spelling system being sand-boxed by OSX.

Steps to reproduce:

1. On High Sierra and InDesign CC, add a Hunspell dictionary, as detailed here: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/add_cs_dictionaries.html

2. Spell-check any InDesign document using the new dictionary and spell-checking then becomes unusable, until InDesign is uninstalled then re-installed.

The following types of errors are produced in the console, showing that it's a code-signing issue, caused by dictionaries being installed within the Hunspell plugin bundle.

Can I suggest that there should be another place to install additional languages, outside the InDesign application.

The…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add the Ability to turn off hover scrolling

Hover Scrolling lets you interact with the dropdown menus without ever having to click on them. Sounds cool, right?

Normally, this is not a problem, because you can easily see what has been changed because you've got an object selected. But when working with conditional text, the conditional text indicator visibility is a GLOBAL setting, and thus, hover scrolling over it can change your document, even with nothing selected. And if you're not on a page with conditional text. you'd never even know that your document got changed, until you send it to print!

This has been plaguing me for…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Duden-Hyphenation changes the language in preferences

After setting Duden hyphenation in Preferences, the next time the menu is opened, it will change to "1996 Alte Rechtschreibung" instead of "2006 Neue Rechtschreibung". (only on WIN-machines?!?)
    Regards Frank Muenschke (IDUG Rhein/Ruhr)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Pages/spread overlapping after changing page size

InDesign 2018 CC 13.0.1

Pages and spreads are doing weird things when I resize my document. It creates some odd margin after resize of pages. I start out with 2 pages, document shuffling allowed, facing pages turned off.

Page_spread_01_112617 - shows the page spread I was working with; each page is 10”x12.25”.
    Page_spread_02_112617 - after I changed the size to 10.68”x11.239” for another ad spread, a weird margin showed up. The content boxes show how there is an odd overlap; each box is 10.68" wide.
    Page_spread_03_112617 - If I move page 2 down in the Pages panel, and realign it…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Bug with search and replace on locked layers

Hi all,
    it seems I’ve found an InDesign bug that is creating some problem on a project for a customer.
    I have a document with a table nested inside another table, the layer is locked but I’m able to find the text inside the nested table even if the “search on locked layer” is inactive.
    I can also apply another paragraph style to the text inside the nested table (with the layer locked) and this is causing some problem because I need to change the styles of the text of unlocked layers with a script.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Fehlercode 4/Errorcode 4 for not damaged documents

1. Adobe Indesin CC 13.01
    After the last Update of Indesign time by time suddenly Indesign report a damaged file if you try to open any InDesign-Document.

Everytime after restarting the Mac everything is good and I'm fortunally able to open all o these documents.

Sometimes restarting Indesign helps, but not always.

The last 3 days it happens much to often und it nervs.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

61 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve been able to identify one scenario in which the cache folder is not accessible while InDesign is launched, resulting in the issue. The issue seems to be specific to MAC OS.

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2, then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still encounter the issue again, try to access the location “/Users//Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version/14.0/en_US/InDesign Recovery/*” and create a file in the directory.

Workaround – Quit & relaunch the application, Cache folder gets created and the problem is resolved.

-InDesign Team

19. Make bulleted lists act correctly when it's moved by text wrap

The bullets on the image attached have a left indent of 3 mm and a first line left indent -3 mm, but have incorrect layout, because the adjacent text box has text wrap applied, which displaces the text with bullets.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Font size of colored menu items becomes too low on high-res devices

I prefer customizing my menu and colorizing but the menu text does not align up quiet neatly in my InDesign CC 2018, same issues can also be seen at some context menu like the Layer panel

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base